Cutting English Voice Acting to about half

Get your Neptune chat on here, doods!

Cutting English Voice Acting to about half

Postby ShinnFlowen » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:10 pm

Problem:

Silconera had an interview a month ago with NISA and they stated due to budget constraints they could bring out the full Japanese audio, but only voiced 50 % of the English dubbing.

Opinion:

I'm pretty sure that many gamers that enjoyed neptunia would state the characters/voices are the most enjoyable aspect of the game (not the story or gameplay) so I was surprised they'd cut out a lot of dialogue, especially when people such as myself enjoy the ENGLISH voice actors.

Solution:

Couldn't NISA asked if people would pay a bit more for english dialogue to see if it's worth doing.

Question:

What does the community think of this?
*Also if I repeated a previous topic please excuse my repeat of a topic.
ShinnFlowen
New Vassal
New Vassal

Re: Cutting English Voice Acting to about half

Postby Aserrisnepnier » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:20 pm

It's probably a bit too late now

chances are they're probably getting finishing things up & producing copies
PC = master race
Aserrisnepnier
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:24 pm

Objection!
The Japanese voices will be fully intact, but due to budget restraints and the massive cast of the game, we chose the most interesting and story-relevant scenes to voice in English. A lot of this is due to the battle line count—when we have a budget for, say, 6,000 lines and battle lines turn out to be around 3,000 for all of the characters, we have to pick and choose. We were able to get a near-full US audio track in the first game because there weren’t many characters. There were about nine main roles in Neptunia (since we only did battle lines for Red and 5pb., I am not counting them), but Neptunia mk2 has over twenty! It’s a huge cast and a huge game, so we’ve opted to voice as much as possible to give each character a roughly equivalent representation.

Where in this does it state '50%'?

You're just pulling that number out of nowhere.

It'll probably be closer to Rorona/Totori. Which is most definitely not only '50%' of the voices.
AniList (no need to reg to view)
[06:46:27] <Solice> you're like dealing with a bag of rabid cats
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
vampko
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Postby MizuMikomi » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:29 pm

Nothing will change it.
NiSA couldn't afford all the lines, and trust me, there are A LOT of characters that are voiced as well as a lot of voiced scenes. Even if it were cutting the dialogue in Mk2 in half, it would still be around the total amount of voiced dialogue in the first game.
Eyeshield wrote:Pore, he is MIZUMikomi. Mizu is water. Water is formless, constantly changing shape, adapting to the surroundings... To succeed in life, one must be formless, like water... :ugeek:
MizuMikomi
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Sik » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:42 pm

vampko wrote:Where in this does it state '50%'?

Probably he got confused because the answer said that around 50% of the voices were battle quotes (are those the real numbers or were them just to give an example, by the way?).
Sik is pronounced like "seek", not like "sick".
Porecomesis wrote:That's like a country asking to stockpile all the nukes in the world. Or vertical09 offering to let the cast of the game sleep in his house.
Sik
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby MizuMikomi » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:48 pm

That was an example.
But you could always ask lyner what he meant, since he is the one they interviewed.
Eyeshield wrote:Pore, he is MIZUMikomi. Mizu is water. Water is formless, constantly changing shape, adapting to the surroundings... To succeed in life, one must be formless, like water... :ugeek:
MizuMikomi
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:10 pm

I doubt he'd be allowed to say how much lines were in battle, or how many lines they were allowed to voice.
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
vampko
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Postby SaturnineTenshi » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:11 pm

This is a non-issue.
"He had warned them it clogged reason; they had reasoned they had no reason."
STEAM | "An argument in favor of double yandere love."
SaturnineTenshi
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby PringlesXD » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:20 pm

Wasn't HDN the only NiSA title to be fully dubbed (as in, exactly like the JP version, who had a few scenes without dub as well)? That makes it the exception, not the rule ~
PringlesXD
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:20 pm

PringlesXD wrote:Wasn't HDN the only NiSA title to be fully dubbed (as in, exactly like the JP version, who had a few scenes without dub as well)? That makes it the exception, not the rule ~

Sakura Wars was another exception.
vampko
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Postby MizuMikomi » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:23 pm

vampko wrote:I doubt he'd be allowed to say how much lines were in battle, or how many lines they were allowed to voice.

Context of the interview says otherwise.

Anyway...

No one is asking that, Sik is asking what he meant by that 50% battle lines thing. Since it was rather vague and didn't give enough detail. Explaining something 'that's already been said' likely wouldn't be a problem.

Look at Sik's post a re-read it to see what I was talking about.
Personally I don't find any of it a problem, since I don't care how much is voiced. I just want the game.
MizuMikomi
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:28 pm

It wasn't vague. He was saying in the context of that example, the battle lines would equal 50% of the total voiced lines that they were given pay allocation for. Being the 6000.

I seriously doubt that was anything but an example. But, saying that the battle lines were equivalent to half their budget is not an example from what I read. But, the numbers themselves are examples I'd say.
vampko
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Postby MizuMikomi » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:29 pm

vampko wrote:It wasn't vague. He was saying in the context of that example, the battle lines would equal 50% of the total voiced lines that they were given pay allocation for. Being the 6000.

I seriously doubt that was anything but an example. But, saying that the battle lines were equivalent to half their budget is not an example from what I read. But, the numbers themselves are examples I'd say.

Well that makes sense, which is how I took it in the first place.
But obviously from the responses I've seen, it was vague.. or rather... confusing.

Because people didn't seem to get it.
MizuMikomi
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby PringlesXD » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:32 pm

vampko wrote:Sakura Wars was another exception.

Oh, right. Since I haven't played the game, I tend to forget. :s
PringlesXD
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:34 pm

Well, i'm not one to comment on whether something is vague. I tend to understand the most confusing things much easier than others. Though when it comes to the simple things...xD
vampko
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Next

Return to Hyperdimension Neptunia Series