Another Hyperdimension Games with male character

Get your Neptune chat on here, doods!
Jakps likes Noire
Majin
Majin

Re: Another Hyperdimension Games with male character

Postby Jakps likes Noire » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:25 am

Eyeshield wrote:
No my friend, they put the Sony characters in a very good light. And the Nintendo and Leanbox ones. Hell, the Conquest ending bit into the Planeptune ones.

I think the problem is that, well, Uni IS a decent person but well, they forced the tsundere archetype way too much. Do they really have to make her say that she didn't need help when you revive her for example? Does she have to say "I-it's not like" every other sentence?

And to say that she isn't decent? Hardly. Her side events with Noire really make you wonder what could've happened if:

A. She was more "dere" (adorable/nice side)
B. If she wasn't a tsundere (because really?)

Bottom line, Uni isn't the worst, but she could be better.

It's debatable, while I agree the light is better in mk2, I still think there is room for improvement though, I'm pleased you think Uni is decent like me, it's a shame some people don't understand Uni like us, I mean she's not a brat, she's not bad or anything, I just think she's misunderstood.

It's just that as you said and I agree with you they forced the tsundere way too much, personally they need to get rid of it or at least only show the dere side because that is what lets Noire and Uni down.

Why were they tsunderes to begin with, or is it because of that rule I don't get of: Black pigtails= Tsundere, yes black goes with pigtails and they have black hair to go with the Playstation. But why does that mean they have to be tsunderes. I really think their personality needs to change (I'll publish a topic on this).
Loyal to my country, loyal to my console, loyal to my goddess.

Zdood
Netherworld Archduke
Netherworld Archduke

Postby Zdood » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:48 pm

I'm not too sure why Noire and Uni are tsunderes myself, other than that's it's quite a popular character archetype in Japan, and probably ties into the PS3's popularity there or something. The rest of the world tends to have mixed feelings on the tsundere thing, though. Personally, Noire and Uni fall in the 'safe zone' of Tsundere-ism for me (ie no megaton punches to the MC for random innocuous stuff on the grounds of being a 'pervert'; incidentally, a lot of tsunderes in series with all-female casts tend to fall under this 'safe zone' for me); I like 'em, in other words. Not my fav chars, but I still like 'em. ^^

...When I think about it though, the good light/bad light thing tends to be all over the damn place depending on things like character portrayal, events, endings, merch, etc. :lol:
Kneel before me! :twisted:
Yeah, like that.

Neptunia fanfic: Hyperdimensional Adventures

Porecomesis
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Porecomesis » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:01 pm

Zdood wrote:I'm not too sure why Noire and Uni are tsunderes myself, other than that's it's quite a popular character archetype in Japan, and probably ties into the PS3's popularity there or something. The rest of the world tends to have mixed feelings on the tsundere thing, though. Personally, Noire and Uni fall in the 'safe zone' of Tsundere-ism for me (ie no megaton punches to the MC for random innocuous stuff on the grounds of being a 'pervert'; incidentally, a lot of tsunderes in series with all-female casts tend to fall under this 'safe zone' for me); I like 'em, in other words. Not my fav chars, but I still like 'em. ^^

...When I think about it though, the good light/bad light thing tends to be all over the damn place depending on things like character portrayal, events, endings, merch, etc. :lol:

Given that this series is, by its own admission, less about the Console Wars or gaming or other media in general and more about "cute girls doing cute things like getting post-traumatic stress disorder and beating up each other because they're too stubborn to admit they need help", I'm going to say that the tsundere decision is nothing more than having a marketing label and something to stick it onto.

They don't beat up the main character because the main character is a female and, while breaking the jaws of males or giving them a certain type of cancer is alright, doing the same to females is a massive no-no. They don't fall into my designated safe zone because, while they don't beat up the main character, they have no reason to be a tsundere.

Zdood
Netherworld Archduke
Netherworld Archduke

Postby Zdood » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:26 pm

1. Cynicalness. Cynicalness everywhere. :lol: Not that I'm one to talk considering my view of the real world in general... but I'm not gonna get into that for obvious reasons. Anyway, the PTSD thing might be reading into it a bit much, but the stubborn-ness really can't be denied. But eh, tsunderes are stubborn. Also yeah, they're a marketing cash cow, more or less. In Japan anyway. Still, done decently, they're alright. On that note...

2. I don't think a girl hitting a girl rather than a guy is necessarily a/the problem (take a good look at any Panty Fighter type series, for starters), it's just that the hitting doesn't seem to mesh with the type of series that usually have all-female casts, which are generally slice-of-life series, whose comedy tends to be more laid-back and less physical than the more wacky harem comedy genre. Now, that said, Neptunia can more or less be described as part slice-of-life and part sci-fi fantasy action. And while hitting rarely if ever occurs in the downtime moments the cast has, one must remember the fights they have with each other, like the many fights in HDN or the couple in mk2 (speaking of which, girls hitting girls much?).

I guess maybe it's not so bad because the hitting in this case happens during actual fights that are meant to be at least vaguely serious as opposed to the comedy skit bits (Edit: And in the case of Iris... eh. I guess she gets away with it more due to playing heavily to a fetish in addition to the comedy, as opposed to a tsundere hitting an MC, which is usually just solely for comedy; there's a difference between sadism and tsundere-ism. Or something. Maybe she's just so over-the-top that she loops right back around and crosses the line a couple dozen times.) Or something. Seems less egregious than some of the over-the-top female on male abuse that goes on in some series, at any rate, maybe since when it happens here it's not generally meant as comedy (any CPU fight in HDN, fights with Uni and Ram & Rom).

...I would assume that they're tsunderes here for the same reason as a tsundere in a harem series is like that. Whether it be for marketing, because of romance implications or whatever, or because, you know, people have all sorts of personalities. Unless we've all been body snatched or stepford wived out of the blue, anyway.

...And even if they don't fall in your safe zone, it's still less egregious than a typical harem series' megaton puncher. If it isn't, I shall give you a funny look. :P
Kneel before me! :twisted:
Yeah, like that.

Neptunia fanfic: Hyperdimensional Adventures

DragonKingKaiser
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby DragonKingKaiser » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:08 am

Sorry for reviving this thread. But I just wanted to thank you all for your posts. Some being foolish. Some being decent and well thought out. And some being overly obsessed with pathetically useless topics (both sides).

But you have given me some great ideas (To me) for some jokes for my male character to say in my current fic. One such joke involving the comparison of wanting saving the world all the way to giving a few bucks to a hobo as to stop being on layway for coffee.
This is what Ben Carson will do to political correctness. I approve.

Return to “Hyperdimension Neptunia Series”