Another Hyperdimension Games with male character

Get your Neptune chat on here, doods!
Porecomesis
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Re: Another Hyperdimension Games with male character

Postby Porecomesis » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:51 pm

Eyeshield wrote:And now I quote Extra Credits for this. There is more to gender than just err... the equipment.

To shorten this, they posit the implications of being a female, the roles they play in society and more. Just because a female and a male can do the same things doesn't mean there isn't any significance in having either.

You know what? Extra Credits video. There, go watch.

Thanks for that. Extra Credits are indeed a great bucket of wisdom. Actually forgot about that episode.

Wdog-999 wrote:
Porecomesis wrote:After getting a good forty winks, I am finally good to talk again.

Now Wdog brings up a good point in that the male, of course, needs something to do. However, Jakps (what kind of name is that?) also brings up a good point in that no one really seems to do anything for the plot with their unique abilities. More than once, anyway. You'd think Gust's alchemy and 5pb.'s ability to dispel Arfoire's influence would come in much more handy than they actually did (there's also the fact that the Makers didn't do anything during the events of the Conquest ending and you'd think that Nisa of all people would have something to say about it).

Despite this, it is true that the males need to do something rather than fall in love and shout "I want to protect everyone!" all the time. My character Jacob, for instance, occupies himself with pointing out how stupid Gamindustri is when he isn't getting curb stomped in one-on-one fights or making plans for his party to curb stomp his opponents.

In essence, the important thing is that the male contributes something useful to the story and they don't fall in love with one of the main girls. What the best result would be for you guys is unknown to me but I'd go with having an all-male party go on their own little plot parallel to the main party's. Alternatively, I could make my own RPG with an all-male party and cross my fingers that the two get a crossover at some stage as well as hoping that a million dollars fall from the sky onto my front yard while no one's on it.

First of all, sorry for the late response, but I didn't even see this until now.

Now, while Jacob does manage to have a role that isn't falling in love or protecting everyone, that role could be performed just as well by a female, which was my entire point. If they put in a male whose purpose could be serviced by a female, then the fanbase will sure as hell notice that and it won't be good for CH and Neptunia.

True.

Actually, in the face of Eyeshield's generous contribution, perhaps it'd be interesting to see a typical male's lifestyle in Gamindustri (and I mean APART from those concert-faring alley-dwelling morons that make me want to rip my eyes out) from their perspective?

Eyeshield
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby Eyeshield » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:56 am

This constitutes one of my favorite scenarios in any story (aside from romance): How the heroes' efforts affect the common people.

If I ever wrote one of these, I'd do it in the style of how the heroes interact with random people who have nothing to do with their journey, how their mannerisms would entertain/disgust/intrigue the masses.

In fact, I have a good example right here: In fate/hollow ataraxia, we have a young girl just having a fun little game of soccer with a small group of boys. Except that, well, the girl is King Arthur.
Walking the universe.

Check out my crossover Neptunia fanfic Chronicles of The Walkers: FateNeptunia if you want to. I hope you like it :)

The Planeptune arc has ended! Next time, Lastation comes in!

Red-Drive
Netherworld Count
Netherworld Count

Postby Red-Drive » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:02 am

That's something I'll always admire about the Pore's fanfic in particular that I really liked. Everyone with the exception of one guy is a girl in a pretty decently-sized party. Yet, the guy keeps his head on and maintains his self dignity. He gets curb-stomped, but he has his moments of awesome. I wouldn't mind seeing a game like this with the main character as the lead. Heck, he could become a BA later as long as there is training to justify it. It's fresh in my opinion and something I'd like to see more of. More female characters than guys without the harem or love aspect screwing with the plot. -nods to self-

EDIT: Agreed Eyeshield. I'd like to see some outward interaction. That Saber example's an excellent one. Good memories~
Proud affiliate of Planeptune and Lastation~

My 3DS Friend Code: 0216-1298-2938 | Name: Red

Little Brother's 3DS Friend Code: 1547-6245-0544 | Name: Chase

krown klown
Vassal
Vassal

Postby krown klown » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:25 am

I dont understand the objection here. I dont want an all male cast, but I would like at least one male character. At minimum I would like a silent character that represents the player. There is no character to identify with or put yourself in their place. I ll never get why guys go over crazy about lesbian antics which are generally implied in all female cast. If they are lesbian they would have no interest in you, so you can fantasize about marrying your 2d or 3d character, but you still would not get any even if they were real. And even if you are only interested in it for the carnal aspects, you sure as hell arent going to see anything worth it in a video game. Thats one thing I will never get, if you want to see lesbians so badly there is plenty of hentai manga, video, and yes, video games. This is almost up their with the "I want my idols to be sterilized holy maidens" thought process.

There really is a disconnect in wanting something that would do you no good. Based on the majority of replies here Neptunia will probably stay all female and do nothing but collect dust on my shelves, at least CE look nice.

Porecomesis
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Porecomesis » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:34 am

krown klown wrote:I dont understand the objection here. I dont want an all male cast, but I would like at least one male character. At minimum I would like a silent character that represents the player. There is no character to identify with or put yourself in their place. I ll never get why guys go over crazy about lesbian antics which are generally implied in all female cast. If they are lesbian they would have no interest in you, so you can fantasize about marrying your 2d or 3d character, but you still would not get any even if they were real. And even if you are only interested in it for the carnal aspects, you sure as hell arent going to see anything worth it in a video game. Thats one thing I will never get, if you want to see lesbians so badly there is plenty of hentai manga, video, and yes, video games. This is almost up their with the "I want my idols to be sterilized holy maidens" thought process.

There really is a disconnect in wanting something that would do you no good. Based on the majority of replies here Neptunia will probably stay all female and do nothing but collect dust on my shelves, at least CE look nice.

I don't think that's accurate at all. I can't explain why with words but rest assured that there are a lot of people here who will object to everything you just said.

In my opinion, however, silent protagonists to be projected onto are very boring. Actually, I did have one idea regarding a silent male protagonist amongst a team of male heroes in my two plots idea. The difference is, he'd actually have a personality and the mute thing would be exploited.

Little Rascal: Hey, Dharc! We're gonna leave you here for you to fend off the Candidates! Say nothing if you're cool with that!
Dharc: O_O .\_/.
Little Rascal: 'kaythanksbye! :D *runs off*
Dharc: -_-

Jakps likes Noire
Majin
Majin

Postby Jakps likes Noire » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:55 am

krown klown wrote:I dont understand the objection here. I dont want an all male cast, but I would like at least one male character. At minimum I would like a silent character that represents the player. There is no character to identify with or put yourself in their place. I ll never get why guys go over crazy about lesbian antics which are generally implied in all female cast. If they are lesbian they would have no interest in you, so you can fantasize about marrying your 2d or 3d character, but you still would not get any even if they were real. And even if you are only interested in it for the carnal aspects, you sure as hell arent going to see anything worth it in a video game. Thats one thing I will never get, if you want to see lesbians so badly there is plenty of hentai manga, video, and yes, video games. This is almost up their with the "I want my idols to be sterilized holy maidens" thought process.

I strongly agree with what you're saying and you make a very good point, I don't understand the objection of having a male loving a female because that happens all the time, I mean you lot are probably doing it now, I mean what aspect of it do you not like, is it the fact that they'll only flirt with the females, is it the fact you dislike romance, is it the fact you don't like the sexual themes or is it something else. Most of the cast only seem to be there as "cute girls doing cute things", there's loads of sexual themes and there is a bit of romance in it.

My argument here is can you relate to the females you like?, I mean do you see yourselves in them or at least part of yourselves in them?, the only characters I can relate to at least sometimes is Noire and Uni, I believe if there was a male character you could relate to that male.

I think I'll post a topic in what changes I think should happen to the cast soon anyway.

I propose the CPUs have a brother each, they can be gamers and I have already suggested their characteristics .
Loyal to my country, loyal to my console, loyal to my goddess.

Zdood
Netherworld Archduke
Netherworld Archduke

Postby Zdood » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:09 pm

I'm pretty sure gender doesn't really have all that much to do with relating to or identifying with characters; it's the personality and motivations and such that allow for relation. Silent MCs, male or female, don't really allow for relation/identification so much as projection, which in turn sort of makes it a glorified wet dream and/or fantasy, really.

Also, Eyeshield has pointed out in the past that Iffy actually works as an Audience POV type character, considering her status as the Only Sane Woman and being a bit of a tomboy.

As to people (guys in particular) liking yuri, I can't really explain it even though I myself like it. :lol: I'll just point you to the 'Girl On Girl Is Hot' trope on TvTropes. Alternately, it's a fetish. And the thing about fetishes is, if you don't have the same fetish as another person, you won't get why they like it; the pettanko vs. gag boob argument is a good example of this. It's not that anything is wrong with Het, it's just that people like their fetishes. :lol:
Kneel before me! :twisted:
Yeah, like that.

Neptunia fanfic: Hyperdimensional Adventures

Porecomesis
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Porecomesis » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:59 pm

Zdood wrote:I'm pretty sure gender doesn't really have all that much to do with relating to or identifying with characters; it's the personality and motivations and such that allow for relation. Silent MCs, male or female, don't really allow for relation/identification so much as projection, which in turn sort of makes it a glorified wet dream and/or fantasy, really.

Having read Digger and played Thomas Was Alone, I completely agree with this. If you are a good enough writer, you could make your characters, say, glue stick lids and they're still be as likeable as they would be if they were human.

Jakps likes Noire
Majin
Majin

Postby Jakps likes Noire » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:09 am

Zdood wrote:I'm pretty sure gender doesn't really have all that much to do with relating to or identifying with characters; it's the personality and motivations and such that allow for relation. Silent MCs, male or female, don't really allow for relation/identification so much as projection, which in turn sort of makes it a glorified wet dream and/or fantasy, really.

Also, Eyeshield has pointed out in the past that Iffy actually works as an Audience POV type character, considering her status as the Only Sane Woman and being a bit of a tomboy.

As to people (guys in particular) liking yuri, I can't really explain it even though I myself like it. :lol: I'll just point you to the 'Girl On Girl Is Hot' trope on TvTropes. Alternately, it's a fetish. And the thing about fetishes is, if you don't have the same fetish as another person, you won't get why they like it; the pettanko vs. gag boob argument is a good example of this. It's not that anything is wrong with Het, it's just that people like their fetishes. :lol:

It's debatable as to whether you are more likely going to relate to someone that represents who you are (race, gender, nationality, etc), but I thought the male could represent us gamers.

Maybe IF tried to be the audience POV but to me I couldn't relate to her and found her annoying (Then again I find the Planeptune characters and most if not all the makers to be annoying), besides I found her to be a bit cynical at times and she was a prejudist towards Uni, saying Uni was a brat, when she's just trying to be a decent person, and she (and you guys) realised that Linda impersonated Chika, but did the others realise? No.

I have no complaints about guys liking lesbians, what I'm trying to say is that I don't see anything wrong with a male character or even the male liking a female.

I just don't understand the concerns you have with it considering those same concerns can be applied to the female cast right now. In my opinion there is no significant reason why there should not be a male.

Porecomesis
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Porecomesis » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:15 am

Jakps likes Noire wrote:Maybe IF tried to be the audience POV but to me I couldn't relate to her and found her annoying (Then again I find the Planeptune characters and most if not all the makers to be annoying), besides I found her to be a bit cynical at times and she was a prejudist towards Uni, saying Uni was a brat, when she's just trying to be a decent person, and she (and you guys) realised that Linda impersonated Chika, but did the others realise? No.

Uni was a brat, though. Well, she was very rude, at the very least.

Jakps likes Noire
Majin
Majin

Postby Jakps likes Noire » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:23 am

Porecomesis wrote:
Jakps likes Noire wrote:Maybe IF tried to be the audience POV but to me I couldn't relate to her and found her annoying (Then again I find the Planeptune characters and most if not all the makers to be annoying), besides I found her to be a bit cynical at times and she was a prejudist towards Uni, saying Uni was a brat, when she's just trying to be a decent person, and she (and you guys) realised that Linda impersonated Chika, but did the others realise? No.

She's not though, I don't think you understand her like I do.

Porecomesis
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Porecomesis » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:36 am

Jakps likes Noire wrote:
Porecomesis wrote:

Well, that is VERY presumptuous of you to say. Yes, Uni does have self-esteem issues. This does not, however, excuse her belittlements of Nepgear.

Jakps likes Noire
Majin
Majin

Postby Jakps likes Noire » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:44 am

Porecomesis wrote:
Jakps likes Noire wrote:
Porecomesis wrote:

Well, that is VERY presumptuous of you to say. Yes, Uni does have self-esteem issues. This does not, however, excuse her belittlements of Nepgear.

It's because she just wants to be the best, the thing is this game is done by Sega so it's biased towards Planeptune , meaning the game is going to put Neptune and Nepgear in a good light but not those that represent Nintendo and Sony, I'll admit that Uni needs to be nicer but all of the characters have flaws and you got to admit Uni does try to improve and she is nice to Nepgear at least sometimes.

Porecomesis
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Porecomesis » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:48 am

Jakps likes Noire wrote:
Porecomesis wrote:
Jakps likes Noire wrote:
Porecomesis wrote:

It's because she just wants to be the best, the thing is this game is done by Sega so it's biased towards Planeptune , meaning the game is going to put Neptune and Nepgear in a good light but not those that represent Nintendo and Sony, I'll admit that Uni needs to be nicer but all of the characters have flaws and you got to admit Uni does try to improve and she is nice to Nepgear at least sometimes.

True. She's still a brat, though.

Eyeshield
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby Eyeshield » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:55 am

Jakps likes Noire wrote:
Porecomesis wrote:
Jakps likes Noire wrote:
Porecomesis wrote:

No my friend, they put the Sony characters in a very good light. And the Nintendo and Leanbox ones. Hell, the Conquest ending bit into the Planeptune ones.

I think the problem is that, well, Uni IS a decent person but well, they forced the tsundere archetype way too much. Do they really have to make her say that she didn't need help when you revive her for example? Does she have to say "I-it's not like" every other sentence?

And to say that she isn't decent? Hardly. Her side events with Noire really make you wonder what could've happened if:

A. She was more "dere" (adorable/nice side)
B. If she wasn't a tsundere (because really?)

Bottom line, Uni isn't the worst, but she could be better.
Walking the universe.

Check out my crossover Neptunia fanfic Chronicles of The Walkers: FateNeptunia if you want to. I hope you like it :)

The Planeptune arc has ended! Next time, Lastation comes in!

Return to “Hyperdimension Neptunia Series”