READ THIS FIRST - The Mostly Spoiler Free D4 Tip Sheet / FAQ

Official discussion forum for Disgaea 4
Netherworld Count

READ THIS FIRST - The Mostly Spoiler Free D4 Tip Sheet / FAQ

Postby Age » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:45 am

[Houk intro: ideally this thread will be the go-to place for general D4 advice/info. Mark all spoilers and keep them to a minimum whenever possible. The OP has good info and you're always free to ask questions.]

Spoils boss locations/maps, and mid to late game mechanics including unique specials. Non-basic Characters will not be spoilered'd, and will be referred to Him/Her/It/That Boss, except Val and Fen. Stuff in actual spoilers is earned Character and possibly postgame characters, but if you'd look in your manual you'd figure it out anyway.

Welcome to the Disgaea 4 pre-launch FAQ!

New to the Disgaea-verse? Haven't really played an SRPG before? Well, you've come to the right place. At least I think it's the right place... here I will be hoping to answer some of the most asked topics, if only to keep clutter down in the main forum.

This will mostly be data aggregation, but I have been playing D4 for around 6 months and I believe to have a grasp of the game mechanics. I am not a NIS or NISA staff member :P

Questions will be in no particular order.

Yes, I know the manual for US D4 in particular is vague as all get out. The JP version was infinitely better in regards to holding your hand, and well, is an actual manual.

Q: My guy won't heal up! It always looks like he has a quarter of his or her health left! BUGGGGGG
A: Not a bug. Take the weight off. Literally, take off the dumbbell-looking thing in his armor slots. THEN heal up and watch. Weights seal off the equipped user's HP to 25% of it's maximum, but is quite handy when used in a combo situation, like making Fenrich almost double his stats when Val is hiding in the corner with a weight on.

Q: They said something in Chapter one about Magichanging giant monsters, but whenever I try the option is greyed out. Halp!
A: I hate that they mentioned it so early in the story, as you likely won't be getting near the requirements to actually be able to wield giant monsters until endgame or postgame. To unlock the Evil Symbol needed, you must kill a lv100+ enemy with a giant monster. Only the monster in the club can be giant magichanged; for example, a Prinny not in the club cannot turn into a giant bow, but it can be the "fused" monster. Likewise, if the "fused" monster is in the club but the actual monster turning giant is not, you cannot giant magichange.

Q: What about Dual Magichanging? Can the weapons be Giant?
A: Dual Magichanging is in the same boat as Giant Magichanging. In order to unlock, you must defeat a lv1000+ enemy with a character wielding a giant magichanged monster. In order for dual magichanging to work, the monster magichanging onto the character second must be in the club. As for the other part of the question, yes, you can Dual Giant Magichange (DGM). In that case, the last monster magichanging must be in both clubs at once in order for it to work. The first Giant Magichange doesn't need to be in the dual club.

Q: The Cam-Pain map scares and confuses me! How should I go about it?
A: As you clear a story map, you get a map square unlocked. A map square can hold either a character or an Evil symbol. You will never unlock a map square that is "water", so don't count on the full 12*12 map being open to you, ever (unless DLC somehow makes it happen in the future). That's about 68 squares unusable. Also, don't worry about putting an evil symbol on top of a non-unique... they aren't gone forever. Look in your Support Group. Anyway, if functions otherwise similarly to D3's Classroom map, with characters place next to each other getting a higher chance of Team Attacking. You can move around characters and evil symbols as much as you want, except the base (which is permanent). For an easier time placing Evil Symbols, send all non uniques to the Support Room first.

Q: Did I just hear that right? Evil Symbols (Clubs) stack? Tell me more!
A: Yup. It is actually beneficial to have a character in more than one club, and is beneficial in general to have the clubs overlap. Especially so with the Training Grounds and Aura Pyramid clubs, as the leader of both can easily be the same, and this gives the effect of spreading EXP amongst the EXP club members and Mana amongst the Mana members, separately, and the leader will get the benefits of being the leader of both clubs without penalty. Later on, after you unlock Chara World, you can expand club ranges to include extra squares. These "extra" squares are movable infinitely (while you cannot change the symbol's base squares), so feel free to mix and match and you'd like.

Q: What's the difference between a team attack and attacking with a magichanged monster, for EXP?
A: EXP is split between Team Attack members evenly, while EXP is copied for the characters involved in killing with a magichanged weapon. In the case of both, The EXP is split between the 2-4 characters, and the magichanged monster(s) copy the host's EXP gain.

Q: What maps can I get stronger on? I need to grind for a bit.
A: These!
2-2 (but only until the next one shows up) by throwing the green geo block onto the blue area, and then killing it. Will not earn you much HL, Mana or base EXP, but you will get the full bonus for the stage with no risk, which includes some decent items for where you're at.
3-2 is a good map, but caters to those able to hit in at least three directions beside or in front of them (Val's Bloody Hole special,
Spoiler:
Fuka's Glorious Hitter, and Emizel's Grim Specter
, for example. +5 casters will work, as well). In addition, the enemies are low-tiered, meaning that they will be much easier to defeat at higher Stronger Enemy Bills than what you would normally face. Also, a good map to earn the Magichange clubs on by throwing monsters together.
5-2 is decent (but I dislike for some reason) for casters and uniques. Throw the right-most geoblock onto the main area and destroy it before you do anything else.
9-4 is usable by certain characters, and contains D4's lv99 grinding map. Lv99 enemies, due to a quirk (NOT A BUG!) in the level up system, give experience equivalent to a lv300~ish enemy. NIS purposefully made the lv99 to lv100 transition take much more exp to obtain. The map itself is
Spoiler:
Giant Desco - Yog Sothoth
oriented, and is good for leveling the two monsters quickly.
Ordeal 4 is the final goto for leveling (again), but this one takes the cake. This time, there are 13 (!) lv400+ enemies in a pattern hittable all at once by a Giant Big Bang. If you do not have Giant Big Bang available, Fenrich's Vanargandr special, combined with one of the following, can clear the map until Fenrich learns Big Bang at lv500 (Spoilers!):
Spoiler:
Giant Desco's Yog Sothoth, Giant Raspberyl's D-Rule 3, and Giant Gig's Whatever-It-Will-Be-Named (DLC only). Emizel's Delta of Death will also work in a pinch.

X2-6 isn't available until late-game, and by almost all accounts is much less viable than Ordeal 4. However, the bonus bar for X-maps are significantly better, and is more than decent for finding R34 stuff. Otherwise, use Ordeal 4.
(All maps improve in the game's Land of Carnage.)

Q: What monster would you recommend for all these magichanging and gianting shenanigans?
A: Nekomata, hands down. You can make one after the first map of Chapter 5. Ghosts are a secondary choice, and are available earlier. Zombies make your Gianting almost infinite with their evility.
Spoiler:
The new Orderly class can help with this on extended trips to the IW or CW.(DLC)

Q: Why are all the trophies hidden? I've no idea what to aim for as a result!
A: Billy, that's the point. NIS didn't want the trophies dictating how you play the game, and a clear majority of the trophies will unlock as you just play. You'll be hovering at around 15% trophy completion after your first playthrough, if not more. Just have fun with the game and eventually you'll platinum the game before you know it (and you'll likely still not be done with the game's content)

Q: What maps should I be wary of? No spoilers, please, but I'd like to make sure my team is extra-prepared.

A: 1-5 (boss), 2-4, 3-3, 3-5, 4-6 (boss), 5-4, 5-5 (can be made impossible), 6-2, 7-6, 7-8 (boss), 8-2, 8-7 (can be made impossible), and pretty much the entirety of 10 (for obvious reasons). For the ones involving story characters, you may want to lose first for the trophy and then restart.

Q: What's the easiest way to break the game's difficulty? I wanna get to the postgame, pronto!
A: The Heart Cannon Evil Symbol. Nothing says overkill like extending your attack queue past the threshold of the screen. Boss-killer, bar none. Heart Cannon attacks can trigger Team Attacks.

Q: What's the deal with online?

A: There are three main online components: Mapmaking, Pirate Vs. Pirate, and Foreign Senators. Mapmaking is the (nerfed slightly) most heard about function, and is relatively straightforward. Still, expect the random impossible map, achievement maps, and "showoff" maps in addition to tons of CP-earning maps and EXP/Mana-earning maps.
Pirate Vs Pirate is unlocked after you face pirates in the Item World and pass a bill. You pick your pirate ship parts (which determine everything from how many characters you can place to their buffs and even AI strength) from captured enemies, and have at it. If you defeat a crew on the scoreboards, you can then summon that crew while in the item world.
Foreign Senators is where people can mess with (and sometimes help) bills you're trying to pass. You can save a list of the most recent senators, and your friends give you an infinitely accessible list of theirs. You can pre-select one, and use certain bills to force them into showing up, of which you can then give items (forms the basis of Item Trading). Item Innocents given to any Foreign Senator are reset and randomized appropriate to the item's tier.

Q: Has duping returned from Disgaea 3?
A: Yes, but it's much harder to start AND to do. To start, you'll need to capture a lv1000+, Tier 4+ Nekomata and hope that the treasure she points out is the Puppy Paw Stick. Then, to dupe, you'll need to head to either the Item World or the Chara World. For the Item World, you can only steal from Random Online Pirates (you can't call them in) or from Cloned members that Nay'd the bill inside the Item World. For Chara World, you'd have to get them from the Clones that show up, and their rate to show up is markedly reduced from D3.

Q: How does Chara World work?
A: You choose someone to "dive" into (eewww?), and when you do so, you choose a goal. That goal is never bad and will always show up as a mystery gate on stage 9. For Skill/Evility Inheritance, you get to choose from the available learnable skills/evilities of the characters in the same club(s) as the dived character. There is a "hidden" shop on stage 10 that is accessible by clearing that stage of geo blocks completely. The "hidden" stage is where you have either the legendary skill teachers, or the Evil Symbol Expander. New to D4 is that the stage is slowly crumbling to it's base, and you can use skills to "dig" into the terrain to look for Orbs that improve the dived character further once destroyed, and "Dropouts" that do the same. Skill Blocks do the same, but they grant a random evility. Mana is the currency used, and the goals/shops use the dived character's mana.
Last edited by Age on Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:44 pm, edited 23 times in total.

Netherworld Count

Re: The Mostly Spoiler Free D4 Tip Sheet / FAQ

Postby Age » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:46 am

*reserved*
Not done with the first post, but I think I'll need the room.

Shizuka
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Postby Shizuka » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:48 am

How about you trying write a Trophy Guide for those PS3 Trophies Forums? You could also post it here.

Yajirobe
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby Yajirobe » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:00 am

If I remember rightly, Evil Symbols are like clubs, but instead they're placed on the map rather than on characters, and characters within their range gain the effects, which lets you stack clubs on multiple characters.
Support Avatar's for EU! Or suffer the wrath of FlonneZilla!
The power of love is mighty! Even giant robot mechs are powered by it. I read that in a coloring book! -- Archangel Flonne
http://niamleeson.deviantart.com/

Netherworld Count

Postby Age » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:05 am

Shizuka wrote:How about you trying write a Trophy Guide for those PS3 Trophies Forums? You could also post it here.

Because I haven't plat'd the game :( Yet, anyway, as it's a moderate plat and I would think I would put in enough playtime to do so.

Yajirobe wrote:If I remember rightly, Evil Symbols are like clubs, but instead they're placed on the map rather than on characters, and characters within their range gain the effects, which lets you stack clubs on multiple characters.

Correct. Adding a little note to post.

Yajirobe
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby Yajirobe » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:19 am

Hmm.. small question, but do the sprites have all-4 directions now? Or do they still do 2 directions and just invert them? It's only a small detail but I often notice it alot, and it bugs me on certain characters who are really noticable (Beryl, male brawlers from 3, etc)
Support Avatar's for EU! Or suffer the wrath of FlonneZilla!
The power of love is mighty! Even giant robot mechs are powered by it. I read that in a coloring book! -- Archangel Flonne
http://niamleeson.deviantart.com/

Netherworld Count

Postby Age » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:21 am

Yajirobe wrote:Hmm.. small question, but do the sprites have all-4 directions now? Or do they still do 2 directions and just invert them? It's only a small detail but I often notice it alot, and it bugs me on certain characters who are really noticable (Beryl, male brawlers from 3, etc)

Still mirrored.

Shizuka
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Postby Shizuka » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:21 am

Age wrote:
Shizuka wrote:How about you trying write a Trophy Guide for those PS3 Trophies Forums? You could also post it here.

Because I haven't plat'd the game :( Yet, anyway, as it's a moderate plat and I would think I would put in enough playtime to do so.

You have the game longer than everybody, you should try it.

Netherworld Count

Postby Age » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:23 am

Shizuka wrote:
Age wrote:

You have the game longer than everybody, you should try it.

Probably will plat with the US version, then repeat with the JP version. Separate trophies per region, so if I get the EU edition I could get three D4 plats... >_>

affinity7799
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby affinity7799 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:30 pm

I know Skill Inheritance costs mana, but how does that exactly work in Class World to have them learn the skill?

Netherworld Count

Postby Age » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:43 pm

affinity7799 wrote:I know Skill Inheritance costs mana, but how does that exactly work in Class World to have them learn the skill?
Answered :P

Bewareofthephil
Vassal
Vassal

Postby Bewareofthephil » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:56 pm

Does the Ordeals bill open up in the latter chapters automatically? And how is the LoC opened in D4, do we still need to hope for random pirates and clear maps from Illegal Tickets?

Netherworld Count

Postby Age » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:15 pm

Bewareofthephil wrote:Does the Ordeals bill open up in the latter chapters automatically? And how is the LoC opened in D4, do we still need to hope for random pirates and clear maps from Illegal Tickets?

Ordeal bill will appear once you have 7000 mana, at any time after an unspecified chapter. I opened it in ch.8 of the JP version. Bill has a low pass rate and many high-level senators -will- show up, so save scum until you get a foreign minister that helps out.

To access Land of Carnage:
have 40% of the X-Dimension maps cleared, and have the Flonne-ga Ship parts (which are obtained by capturing certain enemies on certain X-maps and hoping the RNG likes you.)

karlojeda
New Vassal
New Vassal

Postby karlojeda » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:28 am

could you explain more of this duping in disgaea 4.
You mentioned tier 4+ nekomata so that would be Cath Palug up right?

also you mentioned "hope that the treasure she points out is the PPS"
what do you mean?
does the cat have an evilities? or something that points out treasures?
last question. after getting the PPS, it's basically the same thing as Disgaea 3 right but less chance right?

Return to “Disgaea 4 (PS3, PS Vita)”