This doesn't feel like an rpg.

Official Atelier Meruru Discussion Forum
Caper the Fox
New Vassal
New Vassal

This doesn't feel like an rpg.

Postby Caper the Fox » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:19 am

I'm new to the Atelier Series and this is my first Atelier title, and I must say I'm not impressed with it And here's why

The Time Limit Feature. and it ruined the game for me.

Already 3 times in a row i have gotten bad endings on 3 playthroughs and on my 3rd playthrough when i got a bad ending still even when my popularity bar was at it's maxed. So this confused me big time and pretty much made me fed up with this game. and that crappy feature makes this game feel like an arcade or old school platformer instead of an rpg because when i get a bad ending also it's like a game over which reminds me of playing an NES title or an Arcade game. But this game doesn't feel like an RPG I've never played any Atelier series before but always adored the music to it and the music to this atelier takes a different direction.

the ingame 3 year is not enough because it takes you so long to know what stuff you need to synthesis and where to find it... I really don't understand how i can easily beat this game it just doesn't logical to do everything so quick it's not like we got the same ability as a DC Comic's Super Hero called The Flash...

And also why doesn't Meruru stand up to her father on the bad ending? why doesn't Rufus defend her? I hate that they made the characters so stupid Dressler treats her daughter like a slave instead of a princess on the bad ending, I ran outta options on knowing how to beat this game under the time limit

And Do previous Atelier Titles have this stupid time limit feature?

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Re: This doesn't feel like an rpg.

Postby vampko » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:52 am

The time limits are on all the Arland series of games (Rorona, Totori, Meruru) and Ayesha and Escha&Logy. But the latter two games are much more manageable.

Gameover screens are nothing new, and are in current RPGs too. I'm not sure why that complaint was made.

Also (while I personally love this game the best, but I also love the time management), many think Meruru is significantly worse on the time management than Totori. So you might be okay with how Totori does things. Rorona's usualy considered pretty bad too.

The Atelier Iris games are much less heavy on the time management aspect. And the Mana Khemia games have it a tad more than the Iris games, but it's still really not much of anything.

Time management is just a staple of the Atelier series.
EDIT
Newgame+ helps a lot on second playthroughs though.
あの巨人シノはあんたたちの金髪少女の髪を食べたいな顔をしてるよ
AniList (no need to reg to view)
[06:46:27] <Solice> you're like dealing with a bag of rabid cats
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
Spoiler:

Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Seventh » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:50 am

While I don't know about it not being an RPG, to me, the time limit certainly makes Atelier games bad ones if anything. Admittedly I've only played Totori, but it left me with no desire to try any other games with such a horrendous feature.

Ringwraith
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Ringwraith » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:38 pm

They're more time management games than RPGs on the whole. Heck, they didn't even start with RPG elements in the series until a few entries in.
Some ditch the time aspect entirely, like the aforementioned Iris, which is structured more like a traditional JRPG with the other Atelier themes and ideas still running through it.
If you thought you were buying an RPG first-and-foremost you were misinformed.

Additionally, I hear Meruru is very much for players of the previous Arland games in many respects, seeing as it finishes off that trilogy of games and thus rides on having a lot of the same characters.
<SaturnineTenshi> and we can play with solice because he likes it
<Solice> i hear it's better than playing with myself

<Solice> celtic had a hard time getting his ball out?
<Kana> oh man, you have no idea

KarisSelmon7891
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal

Postby KarisSelmon7891 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:25 pm

Did you registered on this forum, just so you could bash the game? I admit that the time limit feature is difficult, but that's either because of poor time management on your part, or its simply you didn't fulfill the requirements for character events. You said you still got the bad ending even with your popularity to max, but that is only used to prevent you from getting a bad end. The game has multiple endings, so there is a trick to getting them from, if you follow this walkthrough:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/625209-a ... d/59655173

I'm not one to talk, but even I struggled with this game. But if you did not enjoy this game despite three playtroughs, then that means you shouldn't push yourself to playing it. I play it because I want to. The time management will be easier, once you made the development equipment for Meruru.
If you don't like the time limit feature, then I guess Persona 4 Golden is not on the list as well.

And about the character's personalites, if you didn't like how the game ended for you, then you shouldn't have gotten a bad end if the first place. The characters are only as good as they are, if you play it carefully. But if that doesn't convince you, then I don't know what will.

Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Seventh » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:40 pm

I'm not sure how you can even compare P4 to this sort of thing.

Ringwraith
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Ringwraith » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:31 am

Persona 3 & 4 have time management aspects, but they're not the main focus of the game.
They're heavier on it than most, but they aren't time management games specifically, they're still JRPGs at their core.
<SaturnineTenshi> and we can play with solice because he likes it
<Solice> i hear it's better than playing with myself

<Solice> celtic had a hard time getting his ball out?
<Kana> oh man, you have no idea

Caper the Fox
New Vassal
New Vassal

Postby Caper the Fox » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:26 am

KarisSelmon7891 wrote:Did you registered on this forum, just so you could bash the game? I admit that the time limit feature is difficult, but that's either because of poor time management on your part, or its simply you didn't fulfill the requirements for character events. You said you still got the bad ending even with your popularity to max, but that is only used to prevent you from getting a bad end. The game has multiple endings, so there is a trick to getting them from, if you follow this walkthrough:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/625209-a ... d/59655173

I'm not one to talk, but even I struggled with this game. But if you did not enjoy this game despite three playtroughs, then that means you shouldn't push yourself to playing it. I play it because I want to. The time management will be easier, once you made the development equipment for Meruru.
If you don't like the time limit feature, then I guess Persona 4 Golden is not on the list as well.

And about the character's personalites, if you didn't like how the game ended for you, then you shouldn't have gotten a bad end if the first place. The characters are only as good as they are, if you play it carefully. But if that doesn't convince you, then I don't know what will.

I don't think I'm going to get along with you because I'm not to crazy about snobs and i attend to stay away from walkthrough from gamefaqs since most of them are written by lazy Authors and No i did not register just to backlash a game that you like i got stuff to do too outside of the computer so i can't always be on these forums 24/7 and Less rudeness wouldn't have killed you.

Caper the Fox
New Vassal
New Vassal

Postby Caper the Fox » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:24 am

vampko wrote:The time limits are on all the Arland series of games (Rorona, Totori, Meruru) and Ayesha and Escha&Logy. But the latter two games are much more manageable.

Gameover screens are nothing new, and are in current RPGs too. I'm not sure why that complaint was made.

Also (while I personally love this game the best, but I also love the time management), many think Meruru is significantly worse on the time management than Totori. So you might be okay with how Totori does things. Rorona's usualy considered pretty bad too.

The Atelier Iris games are much less heavy on the time management aspect. And the Mana Khemia games have it a tad more than the Iris games, but it's still really not much of anything.

Time management is just a staple of the Atelier series.
EDIT
Newgame+ helps a lot on second playthroughs though.

Atelier Iris sounds like a real good game hopefully this would someday be released on PSN.

KarisSelmon7891
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal

Postby KarisSelmon7891 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:36 am

Caper the Fox wrote:I don't think I'm going to get along with you, because I'm not too crazy about snobs and i tend to stay away from walkthroughs from gamefaqs since most of them are written by lazy Authors, and No i did not register just to backlash a game that you like. I got stuff to do too outside of the computer, so i can't always be on these forums 24/7, and less rudeness wouldn't have killed you.

Okay, I'm sorry. I lost my cool when I read your opinion on the game, and I can understand why you didn't like it, but I acted on impulse anyway. I don't normally try to defend the games that people like me play, but I went too far with it, and I apologize for it. I meant to direct you to PS3 Trophies website, not GameFaq, so here is the link to that instead:
http://ps3trophies.com/forums/showwiki. ... ophy-Guide

But like I said, if you're having a hard time playing this game, due to the time management, and you're not enjoying it, then I'm sorry that you are disappointed with it.

I didn't play the Mana Khemia Series before, and the Iris series doesn't have a time management limit, so rest assured. But the only sign of time management in the Iris Series is the third game: the game have requests you can take, but they are available for a limited time, I think. But you'll have to wait if they decide to release the games to decide for yourself.

razisgosu
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby razisgosu » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:35 pm

Seventh wrote:While I don't know about it not being an RPG, to me, the time limit certainly makes Atelier games bad ones if anything. Admittedly I've only played Totori, but it left me with no desire to try any other games with such a horrendous feature.

Honestly, once you fully understand how time works in Totori and Meruru, the games give you far more time than needed to complete the game and get any ending you want. In my platinum runs of Meruru and Totori Plus, I was actually sleeping waiting for things to do to get to the end. The time limits may seem like a turn off at first, but they're VERY manageable.

Return to “Atelier Meruru”