Anyone here I can interview?

Got any off topic, random nonsense you wanna talk about? Do it here!
Lan-kun
Netherworld Marquis
Netherworld Marquis

Anyone here I can interview?

Postby Lan-kun » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:27 am

It's just 15 music-related questions for a project.

Please?

i have no one IRL willing to be interviewed and family members aren't eligible interviewees for the project
Spoiler:
In a dark, damp place known as the mind...

Doodle Nep: mAkE a CoMiC aBoUt Us, I dArE yOu. I'lL nEp YeR fAcE In If YoU dO.
Lan-kun: K.

Me fanfics lie within this link!

Porecomesis
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Re: Anyone here I can interview?

Postby Porecomesis » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:38 am

Lan-kun wrote:It's just 15 music-related questions for a project.

Please?

i have no one IRL willing to be interviewed and family members aren't eligible interviewees for the project

Sure. Fire away.

Lan-kun
Netherworld Marquis
Netherworld Marquis

Postby Lan-kun » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:31 pm

Porecomesis wrote:Sure. Fire away.

Pore, you magnificent man...thank youuuuuuu~

Spoiler:
1. What do you think makes music such a successful art form?
2. Has the Internet changed how music is spread or made?
3. What musical genre do you think would continue to prosper for many more years to come?
4. With the right technology, do you think music sung by synthesized voices could become a legitimate business and/or genre?
5. Do you think mainstream music perfectly reflects society’s current state?
6. Have you ever wished that you could go back to a certain era of music?
7. Is it possible to enjoy music that wasn’t made in your language?
8. Are there any songs you legitimately wished never existed?
9. What do you think are the factors that enable a song to go mainstream?
10. What aspects of music do you find unique to it, and it alone?
11. How do you think the way of expression in music compares to ways in other art forms like painting or writing?
12. What do you think about the current leading artists and their music?
13. What’s your definition of “music?”
14. Who’s your favorite artist? Please elaborate on why you like them.
15. What’s your favorite song? Please elaborate on why you like it.
Spoiler:
In a dark, damp place known as the mind...

Doodle Nep: mAkE a CoMiC aBoUt Us, I dArE yOu. I'lL nEp YeR fAcE In If YoU dO.
Lan-kun: K.

Me fanfics lie within this link!

Porecomesis
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Porecomesis » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:22 am

Lan-kun wrote:
Porecomesis wrote:Sure. Fire away.

Spoiler:

Pore, you magnificent man...thank youuuuuuu~

Take it easy honey; I know I'm amazing.

Lan-kun wrote:
Spoiler:
I think perhaps its portability and hands-off nature. Think of books, movies, and video games. All of them require interaction or observation. Even audio books require you to listen to the words. Not music. Music is something you only need to hear. You don't need to look at it, to take your eyes off important things. What's more, (a lot of) music has no continuity; each song is a single story that can be enjoyed completely on its own. Songs, much like colours, are simple compliments of moods.

Yes.
SPREAD: Back in the day, you got music either via the radio or buying a vinyl or CD. If you were lucky, you could go to a concert that was within reasonable driving distance. Either way, you were never going to listen to THAT ONE SONG you particularly like on its own without shelling out good money for it. Nowadays, you can access single tracks whenever you want. $1.50 for a single track is wonderful especially if you don't like any other song the artists have made.
MADE: With sites like YouTube allowing the poorest of folks with a microphone to share their singing talent with the rest of the world, more people than ever can belt out tunes to an audience. I'm not sure exactly how this changes how music is precisely made but people do pay attention to you; even a pebble can create ripples when cast in water. Another thing to note is that, now that the global audience is available to almost everyone, what folks listen to can not be controlled. This means you have to account for the myriad of tastes that grow from this explosion (I think; I had a point somewhere).

3. What musical genre do you think would continue to prosper for many more years to come?
I'm taking a shot in the dark and saying "rock". All genres have their purpose but rock is the symbol of passion, a feeling that never dies. If ever the world feels bleak, rock is there to rise up against it in protest. It's the sort of genre everyone can identify with in some song or another.

4. With the right technology, do you think music sung by synthesized voices could become a legitimate business and/or genre?
It already is, if Miku and autotune are anything to go by. That said, yes. Like the case with genetically modified foods, there's nothing intrinsically better about organic stuff; it's just organic. So what if the voices are synthetic? They're still crafted meticulously by musicians with incredible zeal about their craft. There's nothing disqualifying

I don't listen to mainstream music enough to answer honestly.

No. I like individual songs, not any artist, genre, or era.

A lot of songs became popular despite their lyrics rather than because of them. The world would be a vastly different place if we could actually understand the lyrics to a song on the first listen.
On a more serious note, it's not impossible to look up the translations to lyrics and get a better meaning from those. Gangham Style is a good example of this. I'm also quite fond of Sur Tes Pas (the theme song of the Wakfu cartoon) because the lyrics tell of a great adventure and a hero in the making.

Anything ever conjured up by Japanese idol companies. Not because I don't like the songs but because I utterly despise the Japanese idol industry.

By "mainstream", I assume you mean songs popular here and now rather than songs made years ago and are still relevant today. In that case, songs that reflect and articulate the complicated feelings dwelling within the masses. Songs make for great agents of expression thanks to applicability; if people can slap their own meanings on a song, it can reach to many more people. Theme songs are theme songs for a reason; they represent what they're the theme of. OCs in fanfiction and fanart often have theme songs for this very reason, the songs that best explain their identities and motivations.

The same things that make it successful.

11. How do you think the way of expression in music compares to ways in other art forms like painting or writing?
Apples and oranges. Music is largely aural, with exceptions like Ok Go being few and far between, and as such doesn't quite compare to painting or writing on an inherent level. Think of it this way: a writer creates the time in which a world spins, a painter captures the world through God's eyes, and a musician fills the world with sounds as important as the ebbing ocean tides and the rustling leaves. Writers and painters are too apples and oranges in themselves but let's get back to music. Music, unlike painting and writing, doesn't do well to tell stories or build worlds. Music articulates the storms in our souls that hold emotions we don't know how to express otherwise. Music is the sound of nature that many folks would tell you to close your eyes and listen for.

Again, can't speak honestly about this.

Point me towards a dictionary. I'm hardly passionate enough about the craft in general to contest others over what is and isn't music.

Machinae Supremacy. I like the diversity of their songs and also the energy they put into them. My favourite song of theirs is The Second One but I also like Versus, Phantom Battle, Edge and Pearl, Dark City, Into the Night World, My Dragons will Decimate, and Twe27ySeven. Their songs are based around revolution and combatting dogmatic tyants but I'm drawn to the themes of bonds and teams, as shown in Twe27ySeven, Dark City, and partly The Second One ("I walk across the dead train yard, / Remembering who we are / I look inside and in my heart, / We're never far apart" / "Suppress that darkness in me / What I once was and would be were it not for those who still hold on to me / Those who would call themselves allies of mine, Brothers, Sisters and Friends of mine / Until the end of time"). For a band that detests religion for what it's done to progress and civilisation, it promotes a lot of faith in your allies but the not-blinding sort, the sort that recognises a common cause rather than believes in it.

Bar none, my favourite song is Kryptonite by 3 Doors Down (please keep in mind the version I linked is not standard). I like heroes and heroism. I'm also fond of Nickelback's Hero but not Skillet's Hero; Skillet's song talks about a hero coming to save them, Nickelback talks about how you have to be the hero and how hard it is. Kryptonite goes even further; it tells the story of a hero who is falling apart against a world too big for him to handle and the only person they can count on is someone who isn't even reliable. Being a hero, says Kryptonite, is hard and thankless and lonely... and they STILL don't give up, even forgiving and helping those that turn their back on them.
As opposed to the standard version, the linked version sounds more desperate, more lonely, more mournful. The heroic lethargy comes across much better in other variants of the song. Kryptonite is my muse for heroes as well as my own standards for heroism. Whenever I feel powerless but angry and determined to go on, Kryptonite comes to mind. No matter what happens to me, I'll hold the world together with my superhuman might.

Maybe you like these answers, maybe you don't. I hope you do, though, and good luck.

Prinny Supervisor
Demon Lord
Demon Lord

Postby Prinny Supervisor » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:43 pm

Well...happy Valentine's Day :D
Mo' Money, Mo' Moe

ichi_jo
Peon
Peon

Postby ichi_jo » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:39 am

Music connects people - it doesn't matter which language we use, we feel and understand music on the other level of a processing thoughts.
Of course! Because of Internet we are closer to the music 24/7.
Electronic music, pop music, rock music.
I do not think so. Why? The true artists which have a huge talent will be against it. It kill the spirit of a human's voice.
Yeah, but it the mainstream music creates the current state of society. It's a social circle.
Yay!
Yes, the language is only the background; the music itself is an art which everyone can touch.
No - you cannot judge someone in categories of music taste.
The rhythm and general convention.
I do not get the essence of this question. I am sorry.
Painting is consider as a 'higher art' and a lot of people do not know how to contemplate it. Writing is too absorbing and boring for some. Music can be a great company in the everyday life.
I think that they have signed a contract with Devil to become famous. JOKE :D
Harmonious, fixed set of sounds.
There is too many of them! I can say that one of my favourite artist is Radiohead. I like Coldplay too.
The Scientis by Colplay I think. It makes me remember my friend who died in a car accident. What a coinsidence...

Return to “Random Chat”