Blu-ray only?

Official Occult Academy Forum.
Daverost
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Re: Blu-ray only?

Postby Daverost » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:24 pm

Mc-Taz wrote:Blu-ray is definitely starting to pick up in the market.

I could almost write an essay in response to this.
I never got my avatars.
Still holding my breath for the other Marl Kingdom games.

Tind
Peon
Peon

Postby Tind » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:30 am

People say that DVD is obsolete, well they are wrong. DVD will be enough for animes for years. It maybe obsolete for live movies, but it is still good and will be good for years for animes. I watch animes on DVD format on my fullHD LCD TV and I haven't seen any reason yet why to move on to Blu-Ray. Yes there are sometimes (funny thing is that not every time) some small differences between the DVD and Blu-Ray version, but that doesn't matter since those small differences can't be seen anyway if the viewer is watching the TV from the recommended distance.

So forcing people to buy a Blu-Ray player with only releasing something on Blu-Ray is a stupid and pointless thing to do, since there is no real reason to move on from DVD anime to BR anime and there will not be any for years.

Personally, I skip Occult Academy and instead of buying a Blu-Ray player, from that price I buy 3 Sentai or Funimation releases on DVD :lol:

So far the only reason why I was even thinking about getting a BR player, was Clannad, since that is not just an "upscale" that is made a little brighter.

Ringwraith
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Ringwraith » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:17 am

DVDs aren't obsolete, but neither are they the 'best' medium anymore, seeing as Blu-Rays can hold significantly more data, and thus video, and at a higher quality. Thus you can cram more stuff on a fewer amount of discs.
Regarding the HD argument, sure you might not notice much difference, although there are always subtle quality improvements, which only become more apparent on a larger screen. Although it's not as obvious as it often is with games, but that's mostly in the text and interface really.

However, seeing as NISA isn't the largest company in the word, they probably can't afford to make DVDs and Blu-Rays, as the majority of their audience would likely buy the Blu-Rays leaving them with lots of unsold DVDs and losing them money. Therefore it only makes sense to just make Blu-Rays.

This situation isn't much different from when DVDs were taking over from VHSs, but at least the prices of the players drops quite significantly after a time. DVD players were ridiculously expensive when they first came out, just like Blu-Ray players (it was originally cheaper to buy a PS3 than a dedicated Blu-Ray player). Now, not so much.
<SaturnineTenshi> and we can play with solice because he likes it
<Solice> i hear it's better than playing with myself

<Solice> celtic had a hard time getting his ball out?
<Kana> oh man, you have no idea

Daverost
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Daverost » Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:02 pm

I seriously don't understand the hate for blu-ray that some people have. If you want to sit around and watch inferior 480p garbage, be my guest, but a blu-ray player costs like 50 bucks and plays DVDs, too. Why would you let yourself get left behind in a garbage medium like that? I bet these people still think VHS is good for something, too.
I never got my avatars.

Sheleigha
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby Sheleigha » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:11 pm

Daverost wrote:I bet these people still think VHS is good for something, too.

You can ummm... throw them and hit people with them >_> No seriously, this was a suggestion used in the ol' Anime Insider magazine, back when VHS was almost phased completely out.

DVD probably will be around for a while, but I only buy it if that's the only choice for my anime. I'll gladly double dip for blu ray, but since alot of blu rays are just upscales, I wait for an actual good transfer.

Daverost
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Daverost » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:44 am

All anime now is made in HD anyway, so there won't be any upscales except for license rescues or random really, really old pick-ups. Anything new would be a downscale (is that even a thing?) to be on DVD.
I never got my avatars.

Ringwraith
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Ringwraith » Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:42 am

Downscaling is nothing new, seeing as even in normal TV and movies they've been using cameras which film at like x4 times the quality of HD for years.
It's always easier to downscale than upscale so they usually overshoot what they need.
<SaturnineTenshi> and we can play with solice because he likes it
<Solice> i hear it's better than playing with myself

<Solice> celtic had a hard time getting his ball out?
<Kana> oh man, you have no idea

Discoceris
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal

Postby Discoceris » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:55 pm

Daverost wrote:All anime now is made in HD anyway, so there won't be any upscales except for license rescues or random really, really old pick-ups. Anything new would be a downscale (is that even a thing?) to be on DVD.

Japan is broadcasting mostly in HD, however, in this country, the United States of America, there are a lot of areas unable to receive HD broadcasting signals (mostly limited to large metropolitan areas) and very many more with older television technology. It would take a government mandate, billions of taxpayer dollars in rebates and a ban on older technology to get 50 million people to change their ways.

This is an unfortunate situation in which a country that has advanced technologically have to deal with an inferior marketplace to peddle their wares. We can't even get people to change lightbulbs in this country without people wanting the government to "get off my back". What makes you think DVD is on the way out?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Daverost
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Daverost » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:09 pm

Because I saw it happen to VHS.
I never got my avatars.

formerroadie
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby formerroadie » Tue May 01, 2012 8:09 pm

Daverost wrote:Because I saw it happen to VHS.

Exactly. Soon, DVD will go the way of the VHS and Blu's will be standard.... as it should be. Well, let me correct that. It won't disappear like VHS basically has. DVD's last a lot longer and they play in the same players as BD players, so it's way easier to keep them. I think they will be manufactured less and less as people demand more BDs. I don't buy anything on DVD if there is a BD of it available. I know many people do the same.

youko
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby youko » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:02 pm

Posting on old threads is what I do! <3
I just buy whatever is cheaper generally so I can get more anime for my money. My problem is that I really hate those blu-ray cases and that my blu-ray play is basically the same as DVD quality as long as I don't have the tv for it. Yes, I'm one of those people who don't buy things until the old one breaks, in fact I still have a VHS/DVD player hooked up so I can watch my Sailor Moon tapes. :lol:
Anyway just hold off on this title if you don't have a Blu-ray player as the time to buy a good one is Black Friday my friends.
Last edited by youko on Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
I'll be the first to admit I love traps & reverse traps.
Awesome: http://www.hulu.com/#!neuro

Daverost
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Daverost » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:46 pm

youko wrote:my blu-ray play is basically the same as DVD quality as long as I don't have the tv for it.

You should still see a sharper image for a blu-ray over a DVD, even on an SD TV.
I never got my avatars.

youko
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby youko » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:32 am

Daverost wrote:
youko wrote:my blu-ray play is basically the same as DVD quality as long as I don't have the tv for it.

You should still see a sharper image for a blu-ray over a DVD, even on an SD TV.

I don't notice but that probably has more to do with the fact I've needed glasses for awhile now. :)
ImageImage
I'll be the first to admit I love traps & reverse traps.
Awesome: http://www.hulu.com/#!neuro

Rpgpunk
Vassal
Vassal

Postby Rpgpunk » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:43 am

I'm glad Occult Academy is Blu-Ray only. I wish that all anime would be released in Blu-Ray but sadly that's not the case.
PSN ID: Rpgpunk

Return to “Occult Academy”