AN other Review at rpgfan;

http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/Mugen_Souls/index.html

They gave it 75%.

Rednal
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Re: Official Mugen Souls Reviews Thread

Postby Rednal » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:30 pm

That was literally just posted. :lol: Good try, though.
PSN: LordRednal / Twitter: @Rednal29 ] Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/rednal29

perrandy
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby perrandy » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:27 pm

its really weird how disparate the reviews have been for this game :shock:

Rednal
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Rednal » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:36 pm

Eh, not really. *Most* reviews have been in the 70%-80% range. The few that aren't at least close tended to rate it really low, complaining about poor framerates (I think they were trying to play it on 1080p, and I hear the box notes it should only go up to 720p... switching down apparently improves loading times and framerates by a noticeable degree) and how they didn't like all the creepy, sexualized loli stuff. Their view. XD Really, though, most reviews are pretty much where I thought they'd be (good, but with a few issues).

Rednal
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Rednal » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:15 pm

NZGamer: 7.9

How can I describe it? There are so many game mechanics that part way through conquering the first planet there is a joke about the addition of another mechanic. There are so many game mechanics that even when you start the third chapter there are still tutorial pop-ups. There are so many game mechanics that I can’t even begin to describe them all. And that’s not including the ship to ship space battles.

http://nzgamer.com/ps3/reviews/1750/mugen-souls.html

Selphares
Majin
Majin

Postby Selphares » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:39 pm

Rednal wrote:That was literally just posted. :lol: Good try, though.

Poeple post reviews to fast around here. :)
Hmm thinking about the only that sort of fall out of the game rates are ign ( honestly no surprise) and rpgamer last case for me really a surprise, but it certainly goes down to personal taste there. Like for example an 95/100 or 10/10 would be. Since there are flaws.

Rednal
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Rednal » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:40 am

Game Informer: 5/10

Compile Heart, Mugen Souls’ developer, is known for creating extremely convoluted battle systems, and Mugen Souls definitely follows suit with its turn-based combat. The game overwhelms by throwing plenty on you from the get-go; in fact, just when you think you’ve got things figured out, another new aspect is unveiled. If these systems were fun and worthwhile, I wouldn’t have a problem. But as it stands, most don’t add value to the gameplay. They just tack on unnecessary options that aren’t deal-breakers for winning, instead of providing fun new additions to battles.

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/mugen ... view-.aspx

BlackRockPrinny
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal

Postby BlackRockPrinny » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:52 pm

Rednal wrote:Game Informer: 5/10

Compile Heart, Mugen Souls’ developer, is known for creating extremely convoluted battle systems, and Mugen Souls definitely follows suit with its turn-based combat. The game overwhelms by throwing plenty on you from the get-go; in fact, just when you think you’ve got things figured out, another new aspect is unveiled. If these systems were fun and worthwhile, I wouldn’t have a problem. But as it stands, most don’t add value to the gameplay. They just tack on unnecessary options that aren’t deal-breakers for winning, instead of providing fun new additions to battles.

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/mugen ... view-.aspx

If these systems were fun and worthwhile, I wouldn’t have a problem. But as it stands, most don’t add value to the gameplay. They just tack on unnecessary options that aren’t deal-breakers for winning, instead of providing fun new additions to battles.

unnecessary options that aren’t deal-breakers for winning

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that translate to "Flavor Material", an aspect of a game/story/whatever solely there for the inconsequential enjoyment of the gamer/reader/what-have-you? How is this something to complain about? Flavor Material is equivalent to "make your own character" engines in RPGs. It's there just for the gamer who will enjoy it, and in turn they get even more out of the game because of how much more they are putting into it. It's good that such a thing is unneeded and NOT a deal-breaker, since that means it's there for those who'll dig it and can be mostly ignored for those who don't.
Just what I'd expect from Game Informer.

I'm personally waiting for my shipment. It'll help me kill time before Black Rock Shooter finally gets released. Plus the story and cast makes the game look like the strange love-child of Disgaea and Hyper Dimension Neptunia, which is just great fun.

dood
"I'm a total stoic badass hottie, Dood! Look at my rocks! My rocks rock, Dood! Ka-BLAM!" -Black★Rock Prinny

Darcnova
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Darcnova » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:08 pm

GameInformer reviewers are far from informed, for the most part, they hate RPGs, so I take them with a grain of salt, even more so than IGN >.>

kanade2
Netherworld Count
Netherworld Count

Postby kanade2 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:48 am

Rednal
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Rednal » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:54 am

Reviews continue to be fairly interesting, I think... lots of the people who rate it lowly seem to be the sort who don't like the humor style, the innuendo, and things like that. ^^ Oh well. I'm personally enjoying it, and should probably write my own review up fairly soon...

blandgum
Majin
Majin

Postby blandgum » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:24 am

Darcnova wrote:GameInformer reviewers are far from informed, for the most part, they hate RPGs, so I take them with a grain of salt, even more so than IGN >.>

The reviewer(s) in charge of JRPGs do, in fact, dislike JRPGs, constantly criticizing them for the same things every time. It should be noted that what they usually crticize are the very things that make JRPGs JRPGs. Their old reviewers used to give good, unbiased reviews, but then everything changed when the Fire Nation attacked.

Darcnova
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Darcnova » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:34 am

blandgum wrote:
Darcnova wrote:GameInformer reviewers are far from informed, for the most part, they hate RPGs, so I take them with a grain of salt, even more so than IGN >.>

The reviewer(s) in charge of JRPGs do, in fact, dislike JRPGs, constantly criticizing them for the same things every time. It should be noted that what they usually crticize are the very things that make JRPGs JRPGs. Their old reviewers used to give good, unbiased reviews, but then everything changed when the Fire Nation attacked.

Yeah, they used to be a decent review magazine, but now I only look at it to see upcoming big name games...

blandgum
Majin
Majin

Postby blandgum » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:06 am

Darcnova wrote:
blandgum wrote:

Yeah, they used to be a decent review magazine, but now I only look at it to see upcoming big name games...

Yeah, same here. I used to watch X-play for reviews, but then Adam Sessler left.

kanade2
Netherworld Count
Netherworld Count

Postby kanade2 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:04 pm

Last edited by kanade2 on Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Mugen Souls”