Re: Official Mugen Souls Reviews Thread

Postby kanade2 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:59 pm

darkrchaos
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby darkrchaos » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:10 am

If I were to rate this I would give it a 10 out of 10

I love the moe stuff. It has the complex options of Disgaea and the fun gameplay of Hyperdimension Neptunia. The customizable peon system is huge which is probably my favorite part and the story line is really good too.

The only negative is they blurred the background to make it look better. I don't care for it. But since the game so epic and it such a tiny negative it doesn't change my score.

ZekeFreek
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby ZekeFreek » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:29 am

darkrchaos wrote:If I were to rate this I would give it a 10 out of 10

I love the moe stuff. It has the complex options of Disgaea and the fun gameplay of Hyperdimension Neptunia. The customizable peon system is huge which is probably my favorite part and the story line is really good too.

The only negative is they blurred the background to make it look better. I don't care for it. But since the game so epic and it such a tiny negative it doesn't change my score.

Ignoring the story faults that I've explained to death, I have to disagree with you. This game does have more complexity than any CH game thus far, but compared to Disgaea... No.

The biggest difference is how Disgaea handles Skills and character progression. You have so much more control over it.

The skill system in Mugen Souls is really underdeveloped and the battle system doesn't have as many features that can be modified and controlled. No counter-hits, throw ranges, aptitudes, etc. the key is just a grid-based SRPG just have more complexity than a grid less JRPG that is still quite simple in all honesty.

I hate referencing IGN, but when the D4 review claimed you could hold a full college course on the intricacies of Disgaea, they aren't kidding. With Mugen Souls, one or two seminars would cover everything.
Follow me on Twitter, http://www.twitter.com/ZekeFreek
Click Below To Check Out My Original Web Novel Series! Million To One!
Listen me and some chums talk anime at https://www.youtube.com/user/Inuyashath ... ubeythe3rd

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:58 am

does it have to be more complex to be fun though?

I think the two most fun things on this game (gameplay-wise) are the moe kills and the ship battles. Although, to be honest, you could have QUITE the discussion on Moe Kills. Even all the moe kill guides out there combined are sorely lacking in information on how they work. I'm hoping to do a comprehensive guide when I'm on winter break. One that details EVERYTHING. I have a save at a point where I can experiment like that still without easily moe killing everything.
あの巨人シノはあんたたちの金髪少女の髪を食べたいな顔をしてるよ
AniList (no need to reg to view)
[06:46:27] <Solice> you're like dealing with a bag of rabid cats
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
Spoiler:

Rednal
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Rednal » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:13 am

The thing is, there have been plenty of times when I was following those guides, with the correct form, and... it was more Frenzy than Heart. ^^;
PSN: LordRednal / Twitter: @Rednal29 ] Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/rednal29

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:18 am

Rednal wrote:The thing is, there have been plenty of times when I was following those guides, with the correct form, and... it was more Frenzy than Heart. ^^;

Well, they're all just copying off the JP Wiki from what I've noticed. I think there really needs to be a thorough investigation of how it works.
あの巨人シノはあんたたちの金髪少女の髪を食べたいな顔をしてるよ
AniList (no need to reg to view)
[06:46:27] <Solice> you're like dealing with a bag of rabid cats
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
Spoiler:

ZekeFreek
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby ZekeFreek » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:09 am

vampko wrote:does it have to be more complex to be fun though?

I think the two most fun things on this game (gameplay-wise) are the moe kills and the ship battles. Although, to be honest, you could have QUITE the discussion on Moe Kills. Even all the moe kill guides out there combined are sorely lacking in information on how they work. I'm hoping to do a comprehensive guide when I'm on winter break. One that details EVERYTHING. I have a save at a point where I can experiment like that still without easily moe killing everything.

If they want to continue emulating Disgaea, then yes.

I literally spent 2 hours yesterday explaining the Chara World to my brother. I even used quick sketches and diagrams and shit. And I still didn't cover everything.

And yes, my method for determining how deep and complex a game is, is to see how many seminars I could potential hold explaining it.
Listen me and some chums talk anime at https://www.youtube.com/user/Inuyashath ... ubeythe3rd

Zdood
Netherworld Archduke
Netherworld Archduke

Postby Zdood » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:42 pm

ZekeFreek wrote:

I literally spent 2 hours yesterday explaining the Chara World to my brother. I even used quick sketches and diagrams and shit. And I still didn't cover everything.

And yes, my method for determining how deep and complex a game is, is to see how many seminars I could potential hold explaining it.

If there were such a thing as a college course on Disgaea, I'd take it in a heartbeat. Partially because it'd be loads of fun, partially because it'd be an easy A for me. :mrgreen:
Kneel before me! :twisted:
Yeah, like that.

Neptunia fanfic: Hyperdimensional Adventures

ZekeFreek
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby ZekeFreek » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:03 am

Zdood wrote:
ZekeFreek wrote:

If there were such a thing as a college course on Disgaea, I'd take it in a heartbeat. Partially because it'd be loads of fun, partially because it'd be an easy A for me. :mrgreen:

There exist classes on Game Design and Game Theory. But none of these get so specific. A shame, really, because I believe Disgaea has a pretty well-designed formula that pretty easily gets certain types of people hooked.

ShadowJetX
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby ShadowJetX » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:03 pm

ZekeFreek wrote:But none of these get so specific.

FREE YOUR MIND!!1

ShadowJetX
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby ShadowJetX » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:04 pm

Hey guys, check this trendy review out:

http://trendygamers.com/2013/01/01/mugen-souls-review/

The real debate with this one is whether the writer did it for views or not.

Wdog-999
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Wdog-999 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:37 pm

ShadowJetX wrote:Hey guys, check this trendy review out:

Way to perpetuate the "oh noes, it haz lolis, kill it with fire" stereotype, Adam. Image

Though I am curious as to what that Japanese text is in the "Final Word" section. I tried to put it in Bing Translate and I got some Japanese characters and "you're in Japan."
Thanks to TwilightStar for the sig! :D
Trophy card
Spoiler:

KoineNacu
Majin
Majin

Postby KoineNacu » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:51 pm

Wdog-999 wrote:
ShadowJetX wrote:Hey guys, check this trendy review out:

Way to perpetuate the "oh noes, it haz lolis, kill it with fire" stereotype, Adam. Image

Though I am curious as to what that Japanese text is in the "Final Word" section. I tried to put it in Bing Translate and I got some Japanese characters and "you're in Japan."

That (Not grammatically accurate, I believe)Japanese is (very) roughly translated to "Fakku you Japan"
Moe~

Return to “Mugen Souls”