The basics of Mugen Souls?

Official Mugen Souls Discussion Forum
okasion
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal

The basics of Mugen Souls?

Postby okasion » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:30 am

Well, it's my birthday (28) and although I wanted Neptunia V because I'm almost finishing Mk2, I only had the option to order on Amazon or on the NISA store the game because it was sold out here (Neptunia V), but because I live in Argentina, we have many problems with anything imported that isn't a book or a medicament, also I would have to wait between a week and a month... so a friend of mine "gave me" $50 for PSN, and as much low score I saw on Metacritic and sites alike, I bought it Mugen Souls.
When I read it was like a cross of Disgaea and Neptunia, and the fact NISA and company (won't bother mentioning all others, you know) made it, I couldn't resist. I really wished NISA would put both Neptunia and Neptunia V on PSN though, why is only Mk2 available? is a market strategy or what?

Anyway, I bough Mugen Souls for $40 on PSN. I am downloading in right now.
I have been a fan of N1 games since Disgaea 1, I have Rhapsody on my NDS, ZHP on my PSP and all Disgaea games (though I still have to finish the second one).
Disgaea 3 and 4 was like crack for me, I would come from work and play all night; that's why I bought Mugen Souls I suppose.

Well, sorry for the long introduction, I wanted to ask what are the basics premises to play the game, and how should I play in the first place.
no spoilers please. Thanks in advance guys.

chouchou's peon
Netherworld Archduke
Netherworld Archduke

Re: The basics of Mugen Souls?

Postby chouchou's peon » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:40 am

Happy Birthday, Okasion!

Rednal has created an unofficial combat guide on this topic:
http://nisamerica.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=10175

Since you're familiar with the Disgaea series it shouldn't be a problem playing this. Metacritic may have shown an overall bad score from the "professional" reviewers but the average user reviews are pretty good, it had like a 7.7 average or something.

A good tip in this game is farming Shampuru, it will help with the G-Castle battles and strenthen the peon ball which is the most insane attack in the game. Do moe kill as much as you can, it's probably on of the hardest things to get used to but you'll get the hang of it.

I think we'll let you start off with that. The game mechanics and tutorials keep building up until chapter 3 and it'll be good to discuss the game while you progress :)
Last edited by chouchou's peon on Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Sigs by ShadowJetX
Sig by Teddie Sage

okasion
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal

Postby okasion » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:45 am

chouchou's peon wrote:Oh nice, starting off Mugen Souls huh? Since you're familiar with the Disgaea series it shouldn't be a problem playing this. Metacritic may have shown an overall bad score from the "professional" reviewers but the average user reviews are pretty good, it had like a 7.7 average or something.

A good tip in this game is farming Shampuru, it will help with the G-Castle battles and strenthen the peon ball which is the most insane attack in the game. Do moe kill as much as you can, it's probably on of the hardest things to get used to but you'll get the hang of it.

I think we'll let you start off with that. The game mechanics and tutorials keep building up until chapter 3 and it'll be good to discuss the game while you progress :)

Thanks for the tips chouchou's. I would like to ask one thing if I may, I did read here that the humor (one of the reasons I bought the game, too) was more "adult" than Neptunia, what did you guys mean by that?

chouchou's peon
Netherworld Archduke
Netherworld Archduke

Postby chouchou's peon » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:58 am

okasion wrote:Thanks for the tips chouchou's. I would like to ask one thing if I may, I did read here that the humor (one of the reasons I bought the game, too) was more "adult" than Neptunia, what did you guys mean by that?

The premise of the story is to turn everything into your servant by changing forms to attract what they like. Some of the characters got some strange fetish and things can get pretty perverted.

Mugen Souls is has some pretty funny dialogue and there are male characters in this unlike Neptunia. There are hot spring events at the end of the chapters and you get to see the females bathing and talk about strange things.
Sigs by ShadowJetX
Sig by Teddie Sage

Rednal
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Rednal » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:41 am

All I can say is... pay attention to the tutorials. It's kind of remarkable how many people run through them, then ask how to do something they were actually taught to do. :? Also, you won't be able to exploit the system mechanics to their fullest until post-game. Fortunately, that's easy to achieve. The Mugen Field can EASILY get you the levels necessary to blow through the main game (though you'll have to grind for the True End - there's a minimum Charm Percentage, and it takes hours), and you can go from there. ^^

Also, be careful about upgrading! Making skills and techniques stronger is fun, yes, but don't make them all so strong you can't cast them on a regular basis without worrying about SP. ^^
PSN: LordRednal / Twitter: @Rednal29 ] Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/rednal29

okasion
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal

Postby okasion » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:32 am

Rednal wrote:All I can say is... pay attention to the tutorials. It's kind of remarkable how many people run through them, then ask how to do something they were actually taught to do. :? Also, you won't be able to exploit the system mechanics to their fullest until post-game. Fortunately, that's easy to achieve. The Mugen Field can EASILY get you the levels necessary to blow through the main game (though you'll have to grind for the True End - there's a minimum Charm Percentage, and it takes hours), and you can go from there. ^^

Also, be careful about upgrading! Making skills and techniques stronger is fun, yes, but don't make them all so strong you can't cast them on a regular basis without worrying about SP. ^^

Thanks a lot for the tips, it seemed a little weird at first with the fight, moe "skills" and later a ship battle so suddenly, but it was fun how Altis soon broke the 4th wall speaking if "it was ok to start the game like this".
The game looks like something really fresh from the usual Disgaea/Neptunia/Atelier/etc. games. I like it.

I did read all explanations slowly and I think I was able to understood all, mostly the moe and mood thing, except the ship battles which I assume will become a lot harder afterwards; I suppose you can view the tutorials within the menu in case you forgot something right?

In any case I'm sure I'll be asking more later if you guys don't care :?

BTW, I decided to use the Japanese voice and ChouChou sounds a lot like Muromi-san/Akarin.. any idea if is the same VA?

Rednal
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Rednal » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:34 am

The emotion thing may be confusing for awhile... it's, uh, a complicated system. And possibly somewhat randomized. XD However, Moe Killing will be easier as your charm percentage goes up.

Ah, and your Moe Kill range is tied to your weapon, so if you're trying to hit everything on the map, get a gun/bazooka or something with great range. Makes it a lot easier. ^^ Feel free to ask us any questions you have, though!

okasion
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal

Postby okasion » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:05 am

I just learned the skill system, I can see it's pretty complex but it has a lot of potential, I can imagine if you master it, you can make enemies blast with each others fast and end battles quickly. Not to mention things that I still don't even know of.

1- Normally, how often do you use normal attacks/linked attacked and how often you make use of skills?
2- Also, an enemy that is hyper, what type of moe mode should I use? I have to "be like the enemy" or act against him and try to calm the enemy?

Again, thanks in advance.

MegaManZXAvant
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby MegaManZXAvant » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:08 am

Mugen Souls is great it was made from somewhat the same menu & battle style as HDN MK2 if you've played HDN MK2 then you should have no problems playing Mugen Souls although I am going in reverse here I got Mugen Souls (retail copy off of eBay for $27.99 tax free & free shipping) before HDN MK2 and now that I have HDN MK2 (bought at Game Stop used for $27.99 Rewards program Pro price $25.19 and printed out a $5 off any pre-owned game coupon) I just love it and was very easy to get used to the menus and such. Just look at my signature for my PSN Profiles signature and it mostly has HDN MK2 trophies.

Just focus on the main game of Mugen Souls, I would recommend to get the normal end then after you start a new game+ grind for the true end. The fun mostly starts after the true end and is what they call the Post-Game. I do have the true end on Mugen Souls but ever since I got HDN MK2 I've been focusing only on that.
okasion wrote:I just learned the skill system, I can see it's pretty complex but it has a lot of potential, I can imagine if you master it, you can make enemies blast with each others fast and end battles quickly. Not to mention things that I still don't even know of.

1- Normally, how often do you use normal attacks/linked attacked and how often you make use of skills?
2- Also, an enemy that is hyper, what type of moe mode should I use? I have to "be like the enemy" or act against him and try to calm the enemy?

Again, thanks in advance.

If your trying to Peon the enemy then matching the enemy's Moe works the best so in that case since its Hyper you would be Hyper as well to easily Moe Kill it. Granted Moe Killing early on is not so easy since your charm % is low once that starts to increase Moe Killing will get far easier.
Rednal answered your 1- question.

Gonna go play HDN MK2 now.
Last edited by MegaManZXAvant on Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:13 am, edited 3 times in total.
PSN Friend Requests are very welcome just don't leave it blank or I will reject it.
Hummingbird Facebook Player.me YouTube Twitter

Rednal
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Rednal » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:09 am

Once you're later on... you'll almost never use normal attacks. You'll either use Moe Kill (always helpful) or skills to instantly beat them. XD

As for doing Moe Kills, you should MATCH their Moe. If they're Hyper, you should be Hyper. If they're Terse, you should be Terse. Assuming you want to Moe Kill, anyway. If not, your moe isn't too important except for its huge impact on stats and weapon efficiency... XD

okasion
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal

Postby okasion » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:28 am

Thanks MegaMan and Rednal; the linked attack system has so many different animations that is enjoyable to view, although the attacks I do only does 1 dmg for now :roll:

MegaMan, I also love the Neptunia Mk2 attack system, and the characters are well balanced enough to play with your liking, but except for grinding to lvl up and collect shares for your favorite station in order to defeat the CFW bosses, in the end is a little, just a little simple for me.
Coming from games like Disgaea 3, 4, Valkyria Chronicles, and others that I don't remember now, Neptunia Mk2 could have so much more potential. I don't know about Neptunia V :cry:

Mugen Souls seems to be complicated enough to master it at some point and take advance of your learning. I see games I mentioned like a JTacticalRPG instead of a traditional JRPG, and I love them.

Rednal
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Rednal » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:33 am

Meh. Just get the free DLC weapons or something. :lol: It's Chou-Chou's style to totally overwhelm the enemy!

okasion
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal

Postby okasion » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:50 am

Rednal wrote:Meh. Just get the free DLC weapons or something. :lol: It's Chou-Chou's style to totally overwhelm the enemy!

Oh I remember there was a lot of DLC for this game... doesn't downloading them "break" the game progress? or just make it more easier keeping the difficulty balanced? anyway I will download the DLC :lol:

Rednal
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Rednal » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:56 am

Meh. XD You could try to keep the "balance" for the main game if you really want to... but you'll want every bit of power you can get for the postgame stuff. Heck, just needing to go through the Mugen Field in the first place (to see scenes for the True End) will probably break your level so completely that you'll steamroll the Final Boss... it's easier to just head on in.

Of course, it's really defense and HP that matter. o.O Moe Killing is important, as you will understand the first time you put in too high of a bet for the Mugen Field and get your butt kicked by a ship that's way stronger than yours. You could avoid high attacks and just focus on making your characters survive.

chouchou's peon
Netherworld Archduke
Netherworld Archduke

Postby chouchou's peon » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:20 am

Rednal wrote:Of course, it's really defense and HP that matter. o.O Moe Killing is important, as you will understand the first time you put in too high of a bet for the Mugen Field and get your butt kicked by a ship that's way stronger than yours. You could avoid high attacks and just focus on making your characters survive.
I had too many experiences with encountering OP ships in the Mugen Field... Lord Rednal knows everything about Mugen Souls.

Moe Kill should be your main command but the reason they give you offensive commands is just in case you cause a frenzy (failed Moe Kill). But even getting a frenzy is better than beating them normally because it gives 3x the shampuru.
Sigs by ShadowJetX
Sig by Teddie Sage

Return to “Mugen Souls”