Sympathy for the Tar Witch

Official The Witch and the Hundred Knight Discussion Forum
Byzantian-Fandango
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Sympathy for the Tar Witch

Postby Byzantian-Fandango » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:07 am

Note: Possible spoilers for a sub-character ahead.

~

I just recently finished this game in its entirety. And I have become very fond of Teresa... Her cute (American) voice, the fact she was trying way too hard, her true nature as a timid little girl that was definitely in way over her head. They all invoked a rather Moe appeal.

But she got what I'd consider the worst treatment throughout the game... Ignored by the duchess, betrayed by her own master, her INCREDIBLE level of irrelevance throughout the rest of the game... Her death was THE hardest part of the game for me to get past. I'm probably somewhat insane, but I actually think I grieved over her after that. And then that jarring transition into the silliness of the 7th chapter didn't help. Totally forgotten...

I rampaged through the rest of the game in order to see her again when I learned she was revived at the end.

Only for her to get a single line of dialogue in a scene that focused on that treacherous master of hers... That made me realize what a flat character she actually was without her antagonism toward Metallia. That hurt just as much.

I think the writers were a tad hard on this poor little thing...

And on top of that, there's nothing of her anywhere. No art other than the basic portrait (and some screenshots someone took of her various expressions during her lone important role in the game). I managed to get the JE Artbook, only to see her getting just basic stuff (and commentary in Japanese, which I can't read...)

I've become REALLY hung-up on this girl. I'm probably dealing with Seasonal Affective Disorder too, but still... I wish she'd gotten better attention, and that there was more material of her, somewhere.

You may free like flaming me for being a creepy freak, but I assure you, there is nothing but nobility here, lamenting a lost soul...
Amethytus Library's Latest Entry: *2015/09/27 - Trouble Witches: Nest of Disruption*

Byzantian-Fandango
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Re: Sympathy for the Tar Witch

Postby Byzantian-Fandango » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:09 am

It was specifically stated that everyone but for Viscole WAS revived. And if that wasn't the case, then the scene between Lavi and Purple Peel couldn't have happened, as they both died in BOTH dimensions. Also, a lot of the scenes that took place couldn't have happened before the Witch Hunt, because attitudes were too radically different before and after.

As for Teresa... What exactly did she do to Metallia? She tried (and failed) to get her in trouble with the Duchess. She probably didn't even engineer the humiliation prank, she just went along with it. And she didn't even do very well at capturing the Hundred Knight (which, in my opinion, would have made for a good shortcut through that stupid tower, since he ended up knocked out once he reached the top anyway).

So what if she was Belda's apprentice? She got backstabbed for that. Belda was the true villain in that sense, and poor little Teresa got a terrible fate as a result. Not her fault at all that she ended up with a treacherous, yandere master.

She did NOT deserve what happened to her, regardless of how cowardly she may have come off as. The writers were harsh on her, and I disapprove. It's all a matter of opinion, of course. I'm very fond of the girl, while 90% of everyone else is not. I'm just trying to find other people of like mind. Seems like my efforts have been in vain. At least I was able to fix things with my writing work...
Amethytus Library's Latest Entry: *2015/09/27 - Trouble Witches: Nest of Disruption*

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:06 pm

I like Teresa, but I haven't yet read this. I'll get back to you on it.
あの巨人シノはあんたたちの金髪少女の髪を食べたいな顔をしてるよ
AniList (no need to reg to view)
[06:46:27] <Solice> you're like dealing with a bag of rabid cats
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
Spoiler:

Byzantian-Fandango
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby Byzantian-Fandango » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:18 pm

Blackchaosdragon wrote:In a sense you could argue the case for belda as well all was for her precious henitz.

Ahh yes, Prince Heintz. Hardly a prize worth killing over. Belda was insane, more or less. I don't fault her that. Doesn't excuse what she did, though.

Whatever floats your boat dood.

Believe me, it was rickety. I was also suffering from a serious case of Seasonal Affective Disorder that devolved into a strange stomach bug, so being exposed to the death of a character I really liked sent me into a tizzy.

Well i agree she didnt come up with that after all the one who sent the messenger bird...i think it was?
was the one who devised it.
I doubt that, seem like she enjoyed mocking metalia, more or less due to the fact she failed due to metalia.

Hence my irritation over how flat a character she turned out to be. Take away her antagonism to Metallia, and she was a blank slate with a little personality.

The hundred knight needed to walk through the door with a manly strut - that was the most important part

We are in complete agreement.

Yeah thats gonna be tough......

Not worried about it. I'm gonna hire a couple people to do some artwork of her over on DeviantArt, and that should be satisfactory. The rest of my distress over this has been alleviated through my writing work. It'd be NICE if I had the capability to improve her fandom a little, but that'd be pushing it. And, really, being the complete Enigma that I am, I don't really expect much success beyond my own personal satisfaction.

vampko wrote:I like Teresa, but I haven't yet read this. I'll get back to you on it.

That would be a nice gesture. It's what helped me get through that strange pain I had to deal with. I hope you enjoy it.

Byzantian-Fandango
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby Byzantian-Fandango » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:46 am

Ah-hahaha... 100 Views. At least 100 people have seen my efforts to extend sympathy to the little Tar Witch, Teresa. What a good waypoint.

I hope, soon, I'll be able to perform even better when my project finally passes the development phase...

Byzantian-Fandango
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby Byzantian-Fandango » Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:12 pm

... ... ...Man, looking back on this only reminds me of what a dark time January was.

And I had to climb out of that entirely on my own. What a miserable month that was. Things are starting to turn out better, fortunately. At least when I'm not having these depression relapses...

I'm almost ready to move on, now. There's just one more thing I'm waiting on...

Just gotta hang in there...

xnobody13
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby xnobody13 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:35 am

I wish you luck then on whatever it is you're waiting for.
Spoiler:

Byzantian-Fandango
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby Byzantian-Fandango » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:24 am

xnobody13 wrote:I wish you luck then on whatever it is you're waiting for.

Your wish is well received. Thank you. It should be any day now, since I just caught a signal that it should start soon.

Byzantian-Fandango
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby Byzantian-Fandango » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:07 am

Ergh... Is it possible to suffer PTSD from the events of a game? I keep hearing Teresa's terrible little scream when she gets hit by that death-bringing disaster... And it regenerates the pain I felt in January...

...I'm going to go meditate for a little bit...

Byzantian-Fandango
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby Byzantian-Fandango » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:02 am

Blackchaosdragon wrote:
Byzantian-Fandango wrote:Ergh... Is it possible to suffer PTSD from the events of a game? I keep hearing Teresa's terrible little scream when she gets hit by that death-bringing disaster... And it regenerates the pain I felt in January...

...I'm going to go meditate for a little bit...

Nah i dont think its possible. Maybe your overthinking this too much?
besides, i thought you made that fanfic for that very purpose?

It's hard to say, since the mind tends to react to distress the same regardless of its source...

As for the writing, I did, and it worked. After I made that post, I went off and re-read my work, and came out feeling better. And now my resistance to this problem has increased, thanks to the artwork I've acquired of the Post-Rescue Teresa, which holds some special meaning to me.

Byzantian-Fandango
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby Byzantian-Fandango » Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:32 pm

...You know what I'd like to do? I'd like to go up to the writers of the game and say, "WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?! Or perhaps, WERE YOU THINKING AT ALL?!?! To DO that to such a CUTE little thing!!"

Did you know Teresa's the only one of my collective that was brought back from death? Is it really any wonder I'm so attached to her? Though everyone should know, my love for her is like that of a father to his teenage daughter.

Actually, while the age is just a smidge off, if she had been born to me back when I first started wanting to be married, she'd be just about the age she appears to be at (14) now? The daughter I never had...

AND THEY FRIGGEN KILLED HER.

What I would GIVE to have the ability to construct scenes with actual graphics programs. I'd reverse-construct the system The Witch and the Hundred Knight was made in, and MAKE the actual scenes I'd written in my works. I'd actually get to SEE Teresa be saved. Then I'd figure out how to get her voice actress to help and HEAR her be saved TOO.

*huff... huff...*

Hmph. *goes off to my Project*

DragonKingKaiser
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby DragonKingKaiser » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:38 am

Sounds like you went too deep into rabbit hole, into wonderland, and came out scarred.

You mustn't let character deaths hurt you so. And even though I didn't play it, isn't it one of those games where death is cheap and can be avoided?
This is what Ben Carson will do to political correctness. I approve.

Byzantian-Fandango
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby Byzantian-Fandango » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:47 am

DragonKingKaiser wrote:Sounds like you went too deep into rabbit hole, into wonderland, and came out scarred.

You mustn't let character deaths hurt you so. And even though I didn't play it, isn't it one of those games where death is cheap and can be avoided?

Rabbit hole? Very good metaphor.

The entire thing shouldn't have happened.

And by that, I mean my reaction to the entire thing. I am EXTREMELY aware of the difference between fantasy and reality. So technically, the entire thing shouldn't have happened.

But something went wrong with my mind around the time I played this game... Perhaps it was just a matter of doing something at the worst possible time. I wasn't in the best of health. It was deep winter. I may be bipolar. And I am extremely lonely. Combine these factors and throw in a character death and you have what I'd call "artificial grief".

I can honestly say that I've NEVER had a game do that to me before, and even now it baffles me. WHY did I react that way? I couldn't and still can't wrap my head around it.

Right now, as I post this, I am ok. I'm not upset over Teresa, or anything else. But sometimes... I just shift into these "Fury Modes", and I have nothing to vent it on.

DragonKingKaiser
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby DragonKingKaiser » Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:31 pm

Byzantian-Fandango wrote:
DragonKingKaiser wrote:Sounds like you went too deep into rabbit hole, into wonderland, and came out scarred.

Rabbit hole? Very good metaphor.

The entire thing shouldn't have happened.

And by that, I mean my reaction to the entire thing. I am EXTREMELY aware of the difference between fantasy and reality. So technically, the entire thing shouldn't have happened.

But something went wrong with my mind around the time I played this game... Perhaps it was just a matter of doing something at the worst possible time. I wasn't in the best of health. It was deep winter. I may be bipolar. And I am extremely lonely. Combine these factors and throw in a character death and you have what I'd call "artificial grief".

I can honestly say that I've NEVER had a game do that to me before, and even now it baffles me. WHY did I react that way? I couldn't and still can't wrap my head around it.

Right now, as I post this, I am ok. I'm not upset over Teresa, or anything else. But sometimes... I just shift into these "Fury Modes", and I have nothing to vent it on.

I more so meant that if you take it seriously you need to steel yourself better.
This is what Ben Carson will do to political correctness. I approve.

Byzantian-Fandango
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby Byzantian-Fandango » Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:37 pm

DragonKingKaiser wrote:
Byzantian-Fandango wrote:I more so meant that if you take it seriously you need to steel yourself better.

I may have to. As I get older, my levels of sensitivity will probably only get stronger...

It still baffles me though. I actually knew of Teresa's fate before I got to it (I let myself learn about it through spoiler information). Didn't save me from the trauma it seems...

Thanks for the support.

Return to “The Witch and the Hundred Knight”