put games on Steem

Have a suggestion? Post your comments here!
User avatar
buttonmasher
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal
Posts: 58
Joined: Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:43 am

put games on Steem

Postby buttonmasher » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:35 pm

i think it would be fun to play stuff like Disgaea, Neptunia and Phantom Brave with my computer. Who else thinks this could be good?
and remember everyone,"bow your heads low, all hail Shadow"!

User avatar
Rednal
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke
Posts: 16942
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:09 am
Location: Cuddling with Coco

Re: put games on Steem

Postby Rednal » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:34 pm

Compile Heart may (repeat: MAY) be looking at putting some things on PC. It's ultimately up to the developers, though, but they're hampered by the fact that PC gaming isn't really a thing in Japan. That said, we do have some things on PC, and hopefully the PS4's similar architecture will make ports more common. ^^
PSN: LordRednal / Twitter: @Rednal29 ] Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/rednal29
Image

User avatar
Daverost
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke
Posts: 8451
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:50 pm
Location: Georgia, U.S.A.

Re: put games on Steem

Postby Daverost » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:41 pm

I never got my avatars.
Still holding my breath for the other Marl Kingdom games.

User avatar
razisgosu
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron
Posts: 732
Joined: Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:13 pm

Re: put games on Steem

Postby razisgosu » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:32 pm

Daverost wrote:http://store.steampowered.com/search/?publisher=NIS%20America


Admittedly, the game looks pretty good, but those are some really nasty reviews. I've seen it before, but those reviews make me extremely hesitant to touch it. Maybe if it gets a nice discount during the summer sale.

User avatar
Steilon
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility
Posts: 365
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:41 am
Location: Wales netherworld incorporated dood

Re: put games on Steem

Postby Steilon » Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:38 pm

razisgosu wrote:
Daverost wrote:http://store.steampowered.com/search/?publisher=NIS%20America


Admittedly, the game looks pretty good, but those are some really nasty reviews. I've seen it before, but those reviews make me extremely hesitant to touch it. Maybe if it gets a nice discount during the summer sale.


I dont believe in reviews myself, I have seen groups based entirely on rating games who butchered a perfectly good game for no reason, in this case IGN chose someone who must have looked at onepiece pirate warriors 2 and judged it right there and then without actually playing it or realising that it's a different art style and not everything can look like battlefield games and other "realistic" style games, that's why I watch videos of gameplay and if it looks good enough I try it out for myself, it's the only way you would really find out if a games super fun and if the reviewees are just b1tch1ng about it in the reviews because they didnt like it themselves but to each their own I suppose dood.
They didn't make me a prinny for my explosive personality dood's -_-

hesho
Majin
Majin
Posts: 175
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:00 pm
Location: Northern Ontario, Canada
Contact:

Re: put games on Steem

Postby hesho » Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:27 am

razisgosu wrote:
Daverost wrote:http://store.steampowered.com/search/?publisher=NIS%20America


Maybe if it gets a nice discount during the summer sale.


sadly, nisa never participates in any of the sales. personally i think they are just shooting themselves in the foot because of it. I am pretty sure neither of their steam games has ever gone any sale to be honest which is why i think they abandoned steam already...

User avatar
St0ck
Majin
Majin
Posts: 189
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 9:31 pm

Re: put games on Steem

Postby St0ck » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:41 pm

Cladun has been on sale several times;
http://www.steamgamesales.com/XtEVy/cladun-x2

Clan of Champions hasn't to my knowledge.
Image

Avamarine
New Vassal
New Vassal
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun May 11, 2014 2:59 pm

Re: put games on Steem

Postby Avamarine » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:34 pm

I got told by a mod of this forum that Japan doesn't do a lot of computer gaming. While that may be true (I didn't bother to check the validity), other countries are. STEAM is a huge name brand in the computer world, hell most computers that have a graphics card come with it.

My argument for this is that porting pre-existing games shouldn't be -that hard.- I mean, let's look at a few facts: The art already exists, the translations already exist, there's already DLC content, the audio is done, algorithms, damage calcs, etc. The only thing that wouldn't be truly complete already is the programming and the control functions. Now admittedly the programming is a -huge- piece of this puzzle, but when you take away everything else I mentioned, it's something that's doable by a small team of 4-5 in a very reasonable amount of time (just because the programming doesn't exist for a specific engine yet doesn't mean that the logic isn't there).

I do agree that NIS is somewhat shooting themselves in the foot on this, they're a Japanese company which I know means that they're mostly considering Japanese players, but the American market alone is huge. I was told that 'most of the games ported from Japan on the computer are dojinshi style games.' Well ok, can we change that maybe? I mean, Agarest ported to the computer and that's doing relatively well, FF is porting their games over and those are all smash hits (not many of my friends on STEAM don't have those). I'm not a big fan of the little indie dojinshi games but there's a HUGE lack of Disgaea-style tactics games, which NIS has done very well and I think has the opportunity to corner the market on.

I know my argument isn't gonna go far here, I'm literally just voicing an opinion. I do think it's something they should consider, but I'm just a player *shrug*

User avatar
Ringwraith
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke
Posts: 10399
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:33 am

Re: put games on Steem

Postby Ringwraith » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:36 pm

NISA can't put the games on PC, the devs have to do it first, so NISA can localise/publish it.
Therefore you are talking to the wrong people, sadly.
Image
<SaturnineTenshi> and we can play with solice because he likes it
<Solice> i hear it's better than playing with myself

<Solice> celtic had a hard time getting his ball out?
<Kana> oh man, you have no idea

Houk
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke
Posts: 2532
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:52 am

Re: put games on Steem

Postby Houk » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:46 pm

Yeah, the point is that whether porting a game is hard or not (which if you think it's not hard 100% of the time, you are wrong) we as a localization company can't do anything about it. Our headquarters in Japan knows exactly what the PC market is like worldwide, but the fact is they still have to decide where to allocate resources, and they have to decide if it's better to spend time porting older games, or spend that same time and money working on new properties. They don't have infinite time, money, or staff, so they have to make those decisions very carefully. Hopefully we'll see games coming to Steam in the future, but there's nothing we can really do on our end.

Avamarine
New Vassal
New Vassal
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun May 11, 2014 2:59 pm

Re: put games on Steem

Postby Avamarine » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:58 pm

My apologies, I seem to have been misunderstood somewhat (or poor wording on my part). I'm not asking NISA to do this, I understand that they're just the localization team. I'm also not attempting to say that it would be necessarily easy - but as a programmer I am looking at the logistics that seem obvious to me (I only have so much information to go off of).

Consider me nothing more than a hopeful fan, voicing an opinion.

*bows and leaves*

Etna_Uchiha
Majin
Majin
Posts: 179
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:00 am
Location: NA

Re: put games on Steem

Postby Etna_Uchiha » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:20 pm

Houk wrote:Yeah, the point is that whether porting a game is hard or not (which if you think it's not hard 100% of the time, you are wrong) we as a localization company can't do anything about it. Our headquarters in Japan knows exactly what the PC market is like worldwide, but the fact is they still have to decide where to allocate resources, and they have to decide if it's better to spend time porting older games, or spend that same time and money working on new properties. They don't have infinite time, money, or staff, so they have to make those decisions very carefully. Hopefully we'll see games coming to Steam in the future, but there's nothing we can really do on our end.


i completely understand this and i'm not disagreeing though i just want to give you some food for thought take this however you want to when Koei Tecmo released dynasty warriors 8 complete edition on PC the PC sales went way beyond there expectations

i don't expect this to change anything as NIS isn't Koei Tecmo
DLC is just an excuse for devs to hold back content remember once something is on the internet they never forget and never forgive

User avatar
Steilon
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility
Posts: 365
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:41 am
Location: Wales netherworld incorporated dood

Re: put games on Steem

Postby Steilon » Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:19 am

Personally speaking, the pc seems to be the best place to sell tactical games like disgaea, that's all I ever see on there, tactical games/real time strategies and rpg style games on pc are the equivilent of an FPS on a games console, people can't get enough of the suckers, if I were to suggest the best game system that people can open up easily to due to the story and the characters I would suggest something along the line's of phantom brave, it's battle system was unique and fun, plus it gives people an idea of how in depth NIS and all the other people who help develop their games like gust and compile hearts games are with their system, I personally think it would be a hit on steam dood. :D (also a weird thing that put's people off is perversion so phantom brave is good on that unless it's been too long dood :lol: )
They didn't make me a prinny for my explosive personality dood's -_-

Midnight Tea
Vassal
Vassal
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:57 pm

Re: put games on Steem

Postby Midnight Tea » Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:57 am

This is an elephant that's in the room that's been brought up before by less-eloquent individuals (usually to wrongfully disparage our Japanese friends) but there are a couple of reasons these games aren't likely to make it to PC and particularly unlikely to make it to Steam in particular. It'd be very easy to give a short, in-eloquent answer but one can look at the changes made to Bravely Default for what I'm trying to say. Steam, while purportedly intentional in its presentation, is very much based in America.

Long story short? America's got cultural taboos that certain Japanese games -- particularly the sort associated with NIS -- run up against. I'm not trying to steer that discussion that way, I'm new to the NISA forum and I'd be very surprised if that horse hadn't already been beaten so dead that Aramis is already butchering it for zombie parts long before I came here. But let's just that Etna is never going to make the cover of Steam's store page. I could go into a dissertation about that and start-up-and-sudden-stop nature of American business practices and how they disproportionately reward short-term choices like censorship but I'm getting off track.

On a more "practical" level, I'd agree that a lot of these products would be right at home in PC gaming.

User avatar
Ringwraith
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke
Posts: 10399
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:33 am

Re: put games on Steem

Postby Ringwraith » Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:27 am

...that's definitely not the reason.

Besides, not all games turn up on the front page, in fact, most don't, they're just quietly in the 'new releases' section.

The reason is that the PC is not a viable platform to devote lots of resources towards in Japan, therefore they simply don't do it.
Not to mention the fact most Japanese-developed games are designed for Playstation/Nintendo consoles first and they're quite a bit different from PCs, so the porting is not an easy task (and something few developers have experience of there anyway).
Image
<SaturnineTenshi> and we can play with solice because he likes it
<Solice> i hear it's better than playing with myself

<Solice> celtic had a hard time getting his ball out?
<Kana> oh man, you have no idea


Return to “Feedback for NIS America”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests