Can we get the Xbox One version of Psycho-Pass: Mandatory Happiness?

Have a suggestion? Post your comments here!
murkeva
Vassal
Vassal

Can we get the Xbox One version of Psycho-Pass: Mandatory Happiness?

Postby murkeva » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:26 pm

While I appreciate your announcement of a localization for 5pb's Psycho-Pass visual novel, you folks are neglecting the console that it was originally released for and was exclusive to for several months. The Xbox One version also has exclusive Smartglass and Kinect features not found elsewhere. 5pb had even announced an English-translated XBO version of the game for Hong Kong/Taiwan, though this seems to have been quietly canceled.

I can understand you forgoing a physical release, but you really should be able to squeeze in a digital version for people like me who bought an Xbox One to play Psycho-Pass if it was ever made available in English, before any Playstation versions were announced. Because Microsoft was a sponsor of the anime, I assumed it would never be ported to any other system besides PC.

NISA is really letting me down here, and it shouldn't be a great expense to have 5pb dump the same translated script into the original XBO version, then pay Microsoft's publishing fees to get it onto Xbox Live - which I am told are now significantly cheaper for digital-only releases than they were 5+ years ago. Because anime games are still rare on the XBO, it will stand out from the crowd more and could attract a wider audience.

Thank you for your consideration.

Edit: Just found out that the HK & Taiwan XBO version of Psycho-Pass was not canceled and was released some time ago, but it only has a Traditional Chinese localization.

razisgosu
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Re: Can we get the Xbox One version of Psycho-Pass: Mandatory Happiness?

Postby razisgosu » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:25 pm

Let's be honest, there's a reason they neglected the Xbox One version. The console is vastly under performing the PS4 in all regions and it's a game based off an anime, anime is not traditionally or much at all associated with the Xbox One. It'd cost them a lot more money for a sku that will likely have units sitting on shelves unsold.

Daverost
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Daverost » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:44 am

IIRC, Microsoft makes you commit to a certain number of Xbox titles in order to publish or something.

That being the case, I'm guessing NISA decided they didn't have enough other titles lined up that it would make sense to do that version. Assuming that was their blocker, anyway.
I never got my avatars.
Still holding my breath for the other Marl Kingdom games.

murkeva
Vassal
Vassal

Postby murkeva » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:37 am

Daverost wrote:IIRC, Microsoft makes you commit to a certain number of Xbox titles in order to publish or something.

If that was ever true, it hasn't been for a long time. MS has gotten much "friendlier" with regards to Xbox publishing standards in the past few years, and also stopped charging money for patches. The last remaining headache for third-party devs was the "parity" clause stating that XBO indie releases couldn't launch on other platforms before they launched on XBO (unless they added exclusive content), but MS finally repealed that a while ago.

Psycho-Pass DID launch as an exclusive, though, and had features specifically designed for the XBO. 5pb even made Sibyl System stickers to apply as a skin to your console.

While the XBO may not be topping the hardware sales charts in any region, it's doing MUCH better than the Vita currently is in America, and yet NISA immediately greenlit the Vita version of Psycho-Pass for localization. I understand that it's traditionally been a home for anime games and VNs for a good while now, but the US Vita market is incredibly miniscule compared to the XBO's. Double standards, maybe? Aksys seemed to have no problem localizing the XBO version of Blazblue: Chrono Phantasma Extend, which contains a large amount of visual novel content.

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:28 am

murkeva wrote:Aksys seemed to have no problem localizing the XBO version of Blazblue: Chrono Phantasma Extend, which contains a large amount of visual novel content.

To note: Blazblue has been localized on the microsoft systems before, so there is an audience already there, and it would be a bit of a betrayal to suddenly stop that.

murkeva wrote:While the XBO may not be topping the hardware sales charts in any region, it's doing MUCH better than the Vita currently is in America, and yet NISA immediately greenlit the Vita version of Psycho-Pass for localization. I understand that it's traditionally been a home for anime games and VNs for a good while now, but the US Vita market is incredibly miniscule compared to the XBO's. Double standards, maybe?

For one, could just be that NISA doesn't have the best relations with Microsoft. This is the least likely scenario, but a possibility to think of.

For two, the Vita has proven to have a really high attach rate. So, while there might be less systems out there, all the same, people who do have one, tend to buy mostly everything out there, making the Vita a more reliable market. While the XBOn and probably the PS4,is a market that is not nearly as reliable.

For three, many who skipped out on the PS3 (and were staunch xbox supporters) switched over to the PS4, and the audience for a literal anime game is definitely much stronger there (as there have been very anime games releasing on it pretty regularly here). There are definite costs associated with porting that might be too much to really risk something like that on a console that has a good amount going against it.

Fourth, maybe it's just they're still in negotiations? This is right up there with possibility number 1 in terms of likelihood, but it is a possibility nevertheless. Still, do not bank on this one being true.
あの巨人シノはあんたたちの金髪少女の髪を食べたいな顔をしてるよ
AniList (no need to reg to view)
[06:46:27] <Solice> you're like dealing with a bag of rabid cats
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
Spoiler:

murkeva
Vassal
Vassal

Postby murkeva » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:23 pm

murkeva wrote:For one, could just be that NISA doesn't have the best relations with Microsoft. This is the least likely scenario, but a possibility to think of.

I think it's actually the most likely scenario, since it is true that neither Nippon Ichi nor NISA have ever released a game for an Xbox platform. Maybe this is due to Nippon Ichi's long-term Sony favoritism trickling down to their American branch - I'm told that Sony Japan has very closely supported the development of several NIS games behind the scenes, and that it was due to "special financial incentives" that Disgaea 3 released on the then-struggling PS3 instead of the more reliable PS2 market. If this is the case, then it is truly unfortunate that NISA had to be the localization house to secure the rights to the Psycho-Pass game, instead of a company like Aksys or Atlus who is not burdened by any conflicts of interest in cooperating with Microsoft.

I should mention that Stranger of Sword City also has an Xbox One version that NISA is not localizing. So there's more evidence to this.
Last edited by murkeva on Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:26 pm

murkeva wrote:I should mention that Stranger of Sword City also has an Xbox One version that NISA is not localizing. So there's more evidence to this.

All my points can apply to Stranger of Sword, with only point 3 being less of a thing, since Strange of Sword is not a literal anime game, but still falls pretty far out of the perceived market on the Xbox One.
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
Spoiler:

razisgosu
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby razisgosu » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:27 pm

It all comes down to sales. XB1 has the least likely return on investment.

murkeva
Vassal
Vassal

Postby murkeva » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:28 pm

vampko wrote:
murkeva wrote:I should mention that Stranger of Sword City also has an Xbox One version that NISA is not localizing. So there's more evidence to this.

All my points can apply to Stranger of Sword, with only point 3 being less of a thing, since Strange of Sword is not a literal anime game, but still falls pretty far out of the perceived market on the Xbox One.

Not really, since Experience had already released two other Wizardry-style RPGs (including the original Tsurugi no Machi) on the Xbox 360 in Japan. Most of the audience for their games seems to be Japanese fans of retro Western RPGs like Wizardry/Might and Magic/Ultima/etc., so they're likely to be interested in other Western games that the Xbox offers.
Last edited by murkeva on Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:44 pm

murkeva wrote:
vampko wrote:

Not really, since Experience had already released two other Wizardry-style RPGs (including the original Tsurugi no Machi) on the Xbox 360 in Japan. Most of the audience for their games seems to be Japanese fans of retro Western RPGs like Wizardry/Might and Magic/Ultima/etc., so they're likely to be interested in other Western games that the Xbox offers.

You're giving an example of a Japanese release to refute a point made about the Western market. Those don't really correlate.
Spoiler:

Prinny Supervisor
Demon Lord
Demon Lord

Postby Prinny Supervisor » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:32 pm

This isn't my project, and because of NDAs I wouldn't really be able to give any specifics anyway, but I think all I should really have to say about this is that different companies are interested in releasing on different platforms. It's not always our decision.
Mo' Money, Mo' Moe

Daverost
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Daverost » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:49 pm

murkeva wrote:
Daverost wrote:IIRC, Microsoft makes you commit to a certain number of Xbox titles in order to publish or something.

If that was ever true, it hasn't been for a long time.

It was true as of at most five years ago.

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/09/23/ni ... d-pc-push/
I never got my avatars.
Still holding my breath for the other Marl Kingdom games.

murkeva
Vassal
Vassal

Postby murkeva » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:59 pm

Prinny Supervisor wrote:This isn't my project, and because of NDAs I wouldn't really be able to give any specifics anyway, but I think all I should really have to say about this is that different companies are interested in releasing on different platforms. It's not always our decision.

Not that you were allowed to confirm it, but I admit I don't really know what to say if the decision to not localize the XBO version came from 5pb themselves. I guess that would signify that the only reason it was ever developed for Xbox in the first place was due to specific short-term deals with Microsoft, and that 5pb is apathetic towards Xbox platforms whenever MS isn't in the middle of injecting them with funds. It would certainly be a contrast to Liar-Soft's visual novel Shiei no Sona-Nyl, which was ported to Xbox 360 specifically because Liar thought it would boost its chances of being picked up by a Western publisher. (There were no takers.)

If the decision came from Nippon Ichi in Japan, that would lend further credence to my allegations of deeply ingrained Sony favoritism (thanks to long-term moneyhats) on their end. While I had no interest in the game itself, I thought it was awfully curious that the 360 version of the NISA-published Clan of Champions was suddenly canceled with no explanation. Sony probably hasn't seen Nintendo as a direct competitor since the Wii came out, but they're still in fierce competition with Microsoft for the same gaming demographics, and they don't want to see any of their "special interest" partners like NIS getting too cozy with the enemy. Of course, Insomniac made Sunset Overdrive for Microsoft, but they're a loose cannon Western dev who's too valuable to Sony for them to blacklist.

Since I guess I can give up hope of getting an English Xbox One version of Psycho-Pass, I hope that the PC version releases in a reasonable amount of time (and runs on my crappy old laptop). I'll never get to try it with Kinect voice controls or the Smartglass companion app, though.

Skorn
New Vassal
New Vassal

Postby Skorn » Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:35 pm

I would also love an EN version of Mandatory Happiness on Xbox One. If one is officially made (unlike that Hong Kong release which did not include English subtitles as promised) I will buy a copy for sure.

They are already doing most of what needs to be done with the port to PS4/VITA/PC in the US/EU. Except the Xbox One version has already been release as a completed product. In a perfect world.... it should entail much less effort to get this over to the US/EU. They should have to sell less units compared to their PS4/VITA (PC might be lower) counterparts to become profitable too. I'm still at a loss that it wasn't announced on Xbox One.

Wdog-999
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Wdog-999 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:16 pm

Skorn wrote:I would also love an EN version of Mandatory Happiness on Xbox One. If one is officially made (unlike that Hong Kong release which did not include English subtitles as promised) I will buy a copy for sure.

They are already doing most of what needs to be done with the port to PS4/VITA/PC in the US/EU. Except the Xbox One version has already been release as a completed product. In a perfect world.... it should entail much less effort to get this over to the US/EU. They should have to sell less units compared to their PS4/VITA (PC might be lower) counterparts to become profitable too. I'm still at a loss that it wasn't announced on Xbox One.

I'm not sure about the PC, but 5pb. is releasing the game on PS4 and Vita later this month, so NISA will likely work off of those versions. As for PC, I've heard evidence that these kinds of games tend to sell more on Steam and such, which would justify having to port it over.
Thanks to TwilightStar for the sig! :D
Trophy card
Spoiler:

Return to “Feedback for NIS America”