NISA Localizing Anime

Have a suggestion? Post your comments here!
soundmonkey44
Netherworld Count
Netherworld Count

Re: NISA Localizing Anime

Postby soundmonkey44 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:09 am

I agree asking for that was an innapropriate question.

But BOT; they did say on the video they migth Dub these anime eventually, but I'm guessing that all depends on how well the sub DVDs sale, so as much as I hate to, I'll probably buy the Subs of Toradora & Pandora Hearts, so they can get dubs in the future. :)
Fear Not The Darkness, Always Seek The Truth!

magusgs
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby magusgs » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:02 am

odinfan wrote:And especially that last question..... come on. That was embarrassing. I really feel like the other guy was at a loss for words when he asked about the translation quality. Having an interview is one thing, but people citing the same things over events long past like that issue with AT2 are another entirely. I really felt like that was a disservice to the company.

Interviews shouldn't just be about telling fans what they want to hear. If people don't ask tough questions, then it would be nothing more than promotional material. That's not what I listen to interviews for. I've heard questions that are just meant to troll. That didn't seem like one of them.
Sanahtlig's Corner: my personal blog focused on visual novels
Philosophical musings, argumentative squabbles, and fictional works. Also occasional rants about VN localization.

odinfan
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby odinfan » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:09 am

I don't think you understand exactly where I'm coming from with that....

I've honestly heard enough of my share. I'm just tired of it at this point. If you were in my position you'd probably understand. Bringing it up in every little new venture NISA manages to get into isn't helping anyone, nor does it do anything for anyone actually interested in what they have to offer.

I understand the situation, I don't need to be told a million times over.

Elysion Zero
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby Elysion Zero » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:30 pm

odinfan wrote:I don't think you understand exactly where I'm coming from with that....

I've honestly heard enough of my share. I'm just tired of it at this point. If you were in my position you'd probably understand. Bringing it up in every little new venture NISA manages to get into isn't helping anyone, nor does it do anything for anyone actually interested in what they have to offer.

I understand the situation, I don't need to be told a million times over.

It's better than AT2 being forgotten and never mentioned, which only sets the stage for such blunders to happen again. Past mistakes like that should never be repeated, even if it means NISA gets bugged about quality on a daily basis.
Lowering the price of the PS3 to $150 is like mass producing the Big Zam. It's the greatest idea that will never come to pass. OH SHI-!

magusgs
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby magusgs » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:19 pm

It's like the Holocaust. Some things can never be allowed to be forgotten.
Sanahtlig's Corner: my personal blog focused on visual novels
Philosophical musings, argumentative squabbles, and fictional works. Also occasional rants about VN localization.

lopez
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Postby lopez » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:17 pm

I just think NISA might be shooting themselves in the foot with all the restrictions they have on their releases.....

Half-season sets for $60 = :?
Sub only = :?
Online only = :?
Last edited by lopez on Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

odinfan
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby odinfan » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:19 pm

Yeah, I was hoping to buy from the major retailers.... but online only is a drag.

bloodyaftertaste
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby bloodyaftertaste » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:08 pm

It's not the online only that bugs me. That's ok as long as its a fairly common online retailer. But the fact that they are subs only is what makes me sad :(
<Kana> what the f*** have i been doing last year
<bloo> *shrugs*
<bloo> doing your sister?
<Kana> wow, bloo
<Kana> just wow

shymel94
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby shymel94 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:12 pm

bloodyaftertaste wrote:It's not the online only that bugs me. That's ok as long as its a fairly common online retailer. But the fact that they are subs only is what makes me sad :(

This is how I feel too. If I'm gonna pay to watch anime, I would want the options of both subs and dubs.
3DS FC: 2148-8629-2994
PSN ID: sheena1278
Wii U FC: shy_mel

odinfan
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby odinfan » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:14 pm

At least they aren't neglecting one side. But then again, that's not really a plus either.... lol. :lol:

Elysion Zero
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby Elysion Zero » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:22 am

lopez wrote:I just think NISA might be shooting themselves in the foot with all the restrictions they have on their releases.....

Half-season sets for $60 = :?
Sub only = :?
Online only = :?

So, uh, NISA completely lost me. Let me get this straight. I'm supposed to pay for subs that I can only buy online, except instead of getting them right away I'll have physical copies mailed to me? And there's a risk of them being lost or banged up in transit? Now hold on. This sounds like a scam. If they're only subs and a computer is the prerequisite for acquiring them, wouldn't it make more sense to also sell episodes online for people to download at a far cheaper price? Will enough DVD buyers actually be willing to spend $120 for a full series?

We must be in Sparta, because this seems like madness.
Lowering the price of the PS3 to $150 is like mass producing the Big Zam. It's the greatest idea that will never come to pass. OH SHI-!

Solice
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby Solice » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:57 am

The part that concerns me is the combination of the pricing and subtitles only. In general, you can pick up a half season of dubbed anime for $35-45. That expands to $75-90 for an entire season. You can also pick up an entire season of subtitled-only anime for about $30-40. The proposed pricing for NISA was about $60 for a half season, and that expands to $120 for a full season of subtitled anime. While this may be a steal in Japan, its roughly a 300% markup for the US. It would appear that they will be counting on the collector and die-hard fans to make up the loss in number of sales. I'm a collector with a collection of about $15,000-20,000 worth of retail dub DVDs (which I will also point out contain the Japanese tracks), so I will be waiting for dub releases.

[Stream (Offline):] [Youtube]
Join the Unofficial NISA Chat! [IRC | Teamspeak]

Daverost
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Daverost » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:59 am

We're not sure exactly what they're charging yet. MSRP is $59. MSRP for FUNi half-seasons is also the same price, but they're sold much lower. Just wait and see, guys.
I never got my avatars.
Still holding my breath for the other Marl Kingdom games.

bloodyaftertaste
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby bloodyaftertaste » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:13 am

The pricing atm doesn't concern me because as Deverost pointed out, it's not official yet. And I'm not worried about online. Ya sure it could get lost or damaged in the mail, but normally if that happens the online retailer will make it up to you. Again my concern is subs only. I could get past everything else (assuming that $60 a half season is false) if there were dubs and original Japanese voice acting.
<Kana> what the f*** have i been doing last year
<bloo> *shrugs*
<bloo> doing your sister?
<Kana> wow, bloo
<Kana> just wow

Solice
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby Solice » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:18 am

Daverost wrote:We're not sure exactly what they're charging yet. MSRP is $59. MSRP for FUNi half-seasons is also the same price, but they're sold much lower. Just wait and see, guys.

Yeah, thanks for finishing my thought. I knew there was more I wanted to say, but I got distracted by a toaster malfunction.

I would pay the $120/season MSRP if it were dubbed, since that's what it used to be when only AAA titles were dubbed. However, I'll only pay street price for subs if it's not. Honestly, I hope this turns out like Gurren Lagann, where the sub DVDs DID come out first, followed by dub DVDs later on. This is the only occurrence of this ever happening that I am able to recall.

[Stream (Offline):] [Youtube]
Join the Unofficial NISA Chat! [IRC | Teamspeak]

Return to “Feedback for NIS America”