NISA Localizing Anime

Have a suggestion? Post your comments here!
Dakaran
Vassal
Vassal

Re: NISA Localizing Anime

Postby Dakaran » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:58 am

We can't be cheapskates if the anime is to survive with series imported right away after they are done airing in Japan. Big series like those are not cheap and I like that they bring it to North America as it is than not, sub is mighty fine seriously as long as the image quality and the sub are super cool with maybe some collector's extras like art books and sound tracks or exclusives like the first prints in Japan get. :)

We want exclusives and fast export so pay up because there is no other way around.

Source cdjapan.co.jp

Tora Dora! Scene4 [Limited Edition]
Animation
Limited edition
This item is released in limited quantity or for a limited period of time. Whenever this is sold out, or the period is over, no additional editions are pressed/manufactured.
Price 6800yen (7140yen Tax incl.)
US$ 74.24

Fourth DVD release from anime series "Tora Dora!" featuring episode 11 through 13. Limited edition includes bonus DVD-ROM, and 12-page booklet.

OK you got the picture now? We have the prices many times cheaper already so let's get real. In a box set North America we have 13 episodes but in Japan they have included 3 episodes, that's 14,00$ USD above our MRSP for 3 episodes only and we get that four times more.

Starting to feel lucky? We should feel so when it cost me 444$ and sometimes + shipping in USD to have the same number of episodes if I import from Japan the original country. They need to make money somewhere if we want more seasons and actual quality packages. ;p
Last edited by Dakaran on Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Solice
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby Solice » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:06 am

Dakaran wrote:OK you got the picture now? We have the prices 8 times cheaper already so let's get real.

This has been stated in this thread and elsewhere by a couple of people, including myself. One other thing that has been stated is that this is not Japan nor its market (unless you happen to be reading this in Japan). Not only do we not get those awesome extras, there's a smaller handful of people willing to pay the same pricetag.

I still agree with what Daverost said regarding the difference between initial MSRP and street price. The MSRP of a package tends to only reflect the cost to early adopters or those preordering. It generally doesn't stick to it for long these days. The retailers don't pay the MSRP when they order their stock, so really there's as much wiggle room between the wholesale or direct price and the MSRP.

[Stream (Offline):] [Youtube]
Join the Unofficial NISA Chat! [IRC | Teamspeak]

Dakaran
Vassal
Vassal

Postby Dakaran » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:10 am

That's the problem we could get so many more anime if we paid just a bit more to the publishers because they would be a lot more motivated to bring top triple A and misc. titles. I surely don't mind paying 100-120$ for a complete anime box set with full season if they include the first print extra or something more like I said above.

Considering the cost to produce one episode and they sell the series in bundle over here I totally agree to pair a fair price. I don't buy hundreds of series per year but when I do I will try to get the best edition I can for my favorites. The only chance we have to get super cool extras in a short future is to start paying up for that to happen. The day of simultaneous release is my dream. Something organized so well that they start the printing in both continent at the same time. They sell first in homeland probably because of the economic reasons that if they export too early people have it cheaper over here and they would lose money when others try to import it for much cheaper.

So the solution would be a choice of box sets totaling 26 episodes Sub/Dub with full collector stuff and beautiful boxes sold for 100-150 $ depending what we get over here while they keep their prices in Japan.

Maybe we get versions without the extra goods for a cheaper price for those who want only the anime (but I I want the extras too=p!) ? Dub is so optional for me because the only lasting impression I have in the past years of american voice actor that did well are numbered on my five fingers of one hand. Ah! Megumi-sama, Bamboo Blade, Gundam and Black Cat 's Sven actor is really cool.

My wish is more anime over here in the west. :)
Last edited by Dakaran on Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:10 pm, edited 7 times in total.

bloodyaftertaste
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby bloodyaftertaste » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:19 am

It might just be me, but I don't feel like paying 120 for a full season, especially if it won't have any dubs. I understand that when you say that you don't mind paying that much you are expecting all the bonuses that Japan gets, but I don't need all the bonuses. All I really care about is the show and that it has both Japanese and English. If an anime is that much that I want, I usually shop around to find the best price and deal.
<Kana> what the f*** have i been doing last year
<bloo> *shrugs*
<bloo> doing your sister?
<Kana> wow, bloo
<Kana> just wow

magusgs
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby magusgs » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:53 pm

lopez wrote:Online only = :?

Let me question a widespread assumption here. Did they actually say online order only? I could only sort of make out that part of the interview (crippling accents and all), but my notes say they expect most sales to be online. This is another problem with voiced interviews--they're difficult to quote and thus discussion can stray from the facts.
Sanahtlig's Corner: my personal blog focused on visual novels
Philosophical musings, argumentative squabbles, and fictional works. Also occasional rants about VN localization.

Raugion
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby Raugion » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:18 pm

Just went back and listened to it again And as far as I can tell he says

"And the third thing is, we just use internet channel for the sales, not the brick and mortar."

So I think it's going to be online only at least for now.
I'm not sure whether to be impressed with your tenacity, or amazed by your stupididy at this point. . .

magusgs
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby magusgs » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:24 pm

I wonder if they (NISA) can't get the same price from brick-and-mortar retailers that they can from online sites, perhaps due to the cost of shelving the games for display. Otherwise I see no reason why they wouldn't want to have the anime stocked by any retailer who wants it.
Philosophical musings, argumentative squabbles, and fictional works. Also occasional rants about VN localization.

lopez
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Postby lopez » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:07 pm

I'm sure NISA is "banking" on their niche fanbase to "fix" their "undisclosed" financial problems with these "half-baked" anime releases.... :?

It sounds like most people here are on board regardless of the "obstacles" discussed above.... :?

Well as long as y'all support NISA, so that I can buy the full anime box set w/ subs+dubs on Rosenqueen when it goes on sale because it's "out-dated", then I'm happy ;)

bloodyaftertaste
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby bloodyaftertaste » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:05 pm

lopez wrote:Well as long as y'all support NISA, so that I can buy the full anime box set w/ subs+dubs on Rosenqueen when it goes on sale because it's "out-dated", then I'm happy ;)

that's what I'm hoping for :lol:
<Kana> what the f*** have i been doing last year
<bloo> *shrugs*
<bloo> doing your sister?
<Kana> wow, bloo
<Kana> just wow

perrandy
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby perrandy » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:56 pm

i dunno but if they are going to just release their stuff only through rosenqueen then they will be hurting themselves in the short and long run. because lets face it, how many ppl does pre-order from there? i mean i can only imagine that they get only a "few" customers compared with the other stores like amazon.com or best buy...even gamestop. :?:

as a matter of fact, it should be known that nisa used to have their own online store but had to close because "ppl werent supporting them" enough.i remeber their bitter letter that they issued announcing the close of their online store and them blaming us for it. :cry:

if my economic situation were ideal i would have help them with their previous store and even through rosenqueen now. but, sadly for me i dont have a cc. so, all my buying needs go through either best buy or gamestop. :|

thus, due to my bad economic situation i might have to netflix their anime while buying their games again through the aforemented retailer stores :ugeek:

magusgs
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby magusgs » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:59 pm

They specifically mentioned Amazon and Rightstuf in the interview (I was able to make that out). It won't be Rosenqueen only.

soundmonkey44
Netherworld Count
Netherworld Count

Postby soundmonkey44 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:16 pm

I really hope we get info about these soon, I wanna know what the PH bonus is gonna be! :D
Fear Not The Darkness, Always Seek The Truth!

PerryComo
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby PerryComo » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:11 pm

A mysterious message coming from nowhere...

Return to “Feedback for NIS America”