Locked Subtitles?

Up and away! Official The Princess and the Pilot discussion forum.
ridleysbox
New Vassal
New Vassal

Locked Subtitles?

Postby ridleysbox » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:21 am

I thoroughly enjoyed this movie and really want to support NISA it's North American release. However, too many times has a release excited me only to find the subtitles are locked in an ON position with no means to turn them off without resorting to re-authoring the discs.

My questions, once an answer is available, will this title's release have locked subtitles?

Qefimo
Geo Master
Geo Master

Re: Locked Subtitles?

Postby Qefimo » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:11 pm

Are there any other anime localization companies known for doing this? It truly is a reprehensible practice, and a stupid one if they intend on selling to collectors. If locked subs are a condition of the licensing company, than I'd much rather the localizers hold off on releasing these titles at all until they can put them out softsubbed.

Rednal
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Rednal » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:57 pm

Unless, of course, for whatever reason the license holders over in Japan demand locked subs, in which case it's sort of out of NISA's hands...
PSN: LordRednal / Twitter: @Rednal29 ] Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/rednal29

Qefimo
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby Qefimo » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:38 pm

Then they just shouldn't release it at all and let the fansub community pick up the slack.

I'm pretty sure there aren't any license holders who won't ever allow their series to be localized with soft subs. It's just a temporary thing to make sure that Japanese consumers buy their terribly overpriced domestic releases instead of importing the much cheaper overseas discs. Staggering US Blu-ray releases is another tactic of theirs.

Any idea if they sometimes offer hardsub licenses as a cheaper alternative to softsubs?

Ringwraith
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Ringwraith » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:01 am

Rednal wrote:Unless, of course, for whatever reason the license holders over in Japan demand locked subs, in which case it's sort of out of NISA's hands...

Yeah, it happens quite a lot I think, so you just have to live with it really, otherwise we wouldn't be getting them at all.
<SaturnineTenshi> and we can play with solice because he likes it
<Solice> i hear it's better than playing with myself

<Solice> celtic had a hard time getting his ball out?
<Kana> oh man, you have no idea

Return to “The Princess and the Pilot”