Gameplay - Actually Really Good?

Spend some time here chatting about Time and Eternity
Rednal
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Gameplay - Actually Really Good?

Postby Rednal » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:50 pm

http://kotaku.com/5953072/tokitowa-is-a ... un-to-play

According to this commentary, at any rate. I learned a lot of things I hadn't heard before. Which reminds me... I need to ask Lyner about an interview or something. Maybe I can get it posted to ANN...?

Opinions seem mixed on some parts (Lots of Palette Swaps = Bad, Different attacks from palette-swapped enemies = Good, since it's about memorizing their timing and moves), but taking that and Famitsu's not-bad-at-all 32/40 (or roughly 8/10) into consideration, I'm really thinking this is better than a lot of people gave it credit for.
PSN: LordRednal / Twitter: @Rednal29 ] Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/rednal29

will57
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Re: Gameplay - Actually Really Good?

Postby will57 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:27 pm

It actually sounds quite a bit more interesting now. I especially like the how you'll actually have to pay attention during the fights, although I guess that was already expected. I actually like the sound of being able to see everything on the map instead of running around clueless. Would be nice to get more info on the items/spells and such though. I'm hoping that there will be a variety of actions in combat through spells and skills since it looks like there aren't many different choices for basic attacks.

Either way this is definitely going to be an interesting game to play.

Rednal
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Rednal » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:10 pm

They have limited animation stuff, yes. However, from a linked article in that one, we've got:

Tokitowa is not turn based and you can attack as often as you want with normal attacks or magic (if you have the SP which is gained over time or by attacking). However, the enemy can do the same. So to win, you must learn the enemies' patterns, dodge and block when they attack, and go all out whenever they leave an opening.

So it's definitely more involved than usual.

darkrchaos
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby darkrchaos » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:58 pm

I'm interested in the new gameplay, mostly i only get JRPG with lots of customization which I don't think this one has but it still looks really fun.

Qefimo
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby Qefimo » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:30 pm

I especially like the how you'll actually have to pay attention during the fights

Way to keep those standards high.

. I actually like the sound of being able to see everything on the map instead of running around clueless.

It doesn't matter. Maps tend to be small and mostly wide open, with items always in plain sight, and the game is a hair short of FFXIII's linearity. I also take issue with the idea that "running around clueless" is an inherently bad thing--the NES Zelda games owe a lot to the sense of mystery they cultivated.

Anyway, as I've already gone over in my other (now locked) thread, the game mechanics are rotten to the core and monotonous as hell. I could only see someone enjoying the battles if Action 52 was the only other game they had ever played. If you're buying this, it's gonna be for the graphics, characters, dialogue and limited edition.
Last edited by Qefimo on Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rednal
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Rednal » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:32 pm

Sooooooooooooooo... just like half of the other games NISA puts out, then. *Blinks*

Qefimo
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby Qefimo » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:49 pm

No, Tokitowa is worse than those. Disgaea is grindy as hell and a glorified RPG playpen with little resembling actual strategy or depth, but they at least give you tons of interesting stuff to play around with, and the potential to set up awesome chain reactions. The games also have very memorable characters, great music and genuinely humorous story scenes. Tokitowa doesn't have diddly to redeem itself, other than its novelty graphics that look awkward, limit the game mechanics and get old after the first hour.

Ringwraith
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Ringwraith » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:09 am

Qefimo wrote:No, Tokitowa is worse than those. Disgaea is grindy as hell and a glorified RPG playpen with little resembling actual strategy or depth, but they at least give you tons of interesting stuff to play around with, and the potential to set up awesome chain reactions.

Seems like someone is just grinding their way past challenges rather than actually trying to strategise past them.
It requires as much thinking as you want, as you can always just brute force a problem if you take enough time to grind that far, but you can take on things much greater than yourself by thinking it through.
<SaturnineTenshi> and we can play with solice because he likes it
<Solice> i hear it's better than playing with myself

<Solice> celtic had a hard time getting his ball out?
<Kana> oh man, you have no idea

Rednal
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Rednal » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:14 am

I'm hearing good things about Time and Eternity and I'm hearing bad things about it. ^^ I'm not judging until I actually play it for myself, though.

will57
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby will57 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:00 am

I just thought of something, seeing as Toki and Towa switch with each level up, what happens once you hit the level cap? Anyway though, it's not like i'm expecting the game to be incredible in every single way, but i'm sure it'll at least be good (saving all my expectations for Witch and the Hundred Knights). So far, in my opinion it has good art style, interesting story, and unique gameplay. I'm really hoping that the spells will at least be flashy/stylish since that would definitely take advantage of the art design/graphics that it has.

Rednal
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Rednal » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:24 am

You... stay in whatever form you are unless you use the item that swaps you manually?

Qefimo
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby Qefimo » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:36 pm

Seems like someone is just grinding their way past challenges rather than actually trying to strategise past them.

NIS openly encourages this style of play, and once your levels and equipment have advanced to the point where practically everything is a OHKO, it's the only way you CAN play. This is especially the case in Disgaea 3/4.

Complexity and depth are not the same thing. Disgaea is a series with a metric ton of complexity, but little depth. Because of the intentionally broken balancing, things like defense and status ailments serve no purpose past the early stages of the game. They were only tacked on because it's tradition that all RPGs have to include them.

"Japan's Finest Software?" I think not. But unlike Tokitowa, I don't think that NIS' internally developed games are without merit, as I discussed earlier.

Ringwraith
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Ringwraith » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:07 pm

Qefimo wrote:

NIS openly encourages this style of play, and once your levels and equipment have advanced to the point where practically everything is a OHKO, it's the only way you CAN play. This is especially the case in Disgaea 3/4.

Complexity and depth are not the same thing. Disgaea is a series with a metric ton of complexity, but little depth. Because of the intentionally broken balancing, things like defense and status ailments serve no purpose past the early stages of the game. They were only tacked on because it's tradition that all RPGs have to include them.

Not really, the game encourages doing whatever kind of crazy things you fancy.
The insane power abuse is for the post-game nonsense.

Why else do you think they have nutty geo-puzzle maps?
<SaturnineTenshi> and we can play with solice because he likes it
<Solice> i hear it's better than playing with myself

<Solice> celtic had a hard time getting his ball out?
<Kana> oh man, you have no idea

Superbowl54
Majin
Majin

Postby Superbowl54 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:08 am

will57 wrote:I just thought of something, seeing as Toki and Towa switch with each level up, what happens once you hit the level cap? Anyway though, it's not like i'm expecting the game to be incredible in every single way, but i'm sure it'll at least be good (saving all my expectations for Witch and the Hundred Knights). So far, in my opinion it has good art style, interesting story, and unique gameplay. I'm really hoping that the spells will at least be flashy/stylish since that would definitely take advantage of the art design/graphics that it has.

Same reasons here. I'm looking forward to it as I'm a fan of unique games like this. It looks solid enough, it's not like I'm expecting it to be the next great RPG like NNK was hyped to be or something.

Qefimo wrote:No, Tokitowa is worse than those. Disgaea is grindy as hell and a glorified RPG playpen with little resembling actual strategy or depth, but they at least give you tons of interesting stuff to play around with, and the potential to set up awesome chain reactions. The games also have very memorable characters, great music and genuinely humorous story scenes. Tokitowa doesn't have diddly to redeem itself, other than its novelty graphics that look awkward, limit the game mechanics and get old after the first hour.

You seem to really hate this game and want it to flop very badly. So I have to ask... why are you here? I think I'll buy a few extra copies just in honor of you. :mrgreen:

Qefimo
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby Qefimo » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:58 pm

I don't have any silly grudge against the game or NISA. I only hate it because it is of very low quality, which is a perfectly rational reaction. Honestly, I'd prefer it to sell well so NISA can get more money to stay in business and greenlight better projects. But outside of a few anime kids who only play games for the story, graphics and characters, Tokitowa will have very little appeal with the public at large and is almost guaranteed to be a commercial failure here, just as it was in Japan.

I originally posted here in the vain hope that NISA would see the light and cancel the US release.

Return to “Time and Eternity”