Interview with NISA

Spend some time here chatting about Time and Eternity
Leon Tekashi
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Re: Interview with NISA

Postby Leon Tekashi » Thu May 02, 2013 5:28 pm

Rednal wrote:To the best of my knowledge, dubbing isn't actually very expensive in Japan. It's just that they tend to do a lot of projects at once, and supplement voice acting with lots of other things (singing, radio shows, tv shows, and so on and so forth). Dubbing in English is... a significant expense, actually. I don't know if it's the single biggest expense for a localized game, but it's at least pretty far up there.

So companies should do some stuff to ease the prices of dubbing in English.
Spoiler:

kratoscar2008
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby kratoscar2008 » Thu May 02, 2013 5:32 pm

Rednal wrote:To the best of my knowledge, dubbing isn't actually very expensive in Japan. It's just that they tend to do a lot of projects at once, and supplement voice acting with lots of other things (singing, radio shows, tv shows, and so on and so forth). Dubbing in English is... a significant expense, actually. I don't know if it's the single biggest expense for a localized game, but it's at least pretty far up there.

I mean in the sense of leaving the original VA since those VAs are like rockstars, using their voices outside Japan wouldnt been more expensive?

Rednal
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Rednal » Thu May 02, 2013 5:33 pm

Um... I don't know if it's more expensive or not, but they do charge for it...? That's something I'd have to ask someone more in the industry about. Either that or we could ask the Answerman on ANN...
PSN: LordRednal / Twitter: @Rednal29 ] Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/rednal29

kanade2
Netherworld Count
Netherworld Count

Postby kanade2 » Thu May 02, 2013 8:11 pm

kratoscar2008 wrote:

I mean in the sense of leaving the original VA since those VAs are like rockstars, using their voices outside Japan wouldnt been more expensive?

Not all the JP VAs are rockstars so the pricing may not always be absurd. If it's game like Final Fantasy,or Tales then the JP track will probably cost more then a eng dub.

kratoscar2008
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby kratoscar2008 » Thu May 02, 2013 9:44 pm

kanade2 wrote:
kratoscar2008 wrote:

Not all the JP VAs are rockstars so the pricing may not always be absurd. If it's game like Final Fantasy,or Tales then the JP track will probably cost more then a eng dub.

Well i heard that when a JP VA dies the character dies with him/her so i think im not too far off, doesnt most Japanese games use the same VAs? I mean im sure that 90% of the games protagonists sound like the same guy in Japan.

kanade2
Netherworld Count
Netherworld Count

Postby kanade2 » Fri May 03, 2013 10:08 pm

Not every JP VA is high profile,and works for a company that charges a high premium is what I'm trying to get it.

kratoscar2008
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby kratoscar2008 » Fri May 03, 2013 11:02 pm

kanade2 wrote:Not every JP VA is high profile,and works for a company that charges a high premium is what I'm trying to get it.

Lets narrow it down to NIS VAs. Are they famous or seomething?

Darcnova
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Darcnova » Fri May 03, 2013 11:12 pm

kratoscar2008 wrote:
kanade2 wrote:Not every JP VA is high profile,and works for a company that charges a high premium is what I'm trying to get it.

Pretty sure that Laharl's VA was in Beelzebub. So his was popular enough to be in a 60 episode Shounen series at least

Lynx Amali
New Vassal
New Vassal

Postby Lynx Amali » Sat May 04, 2013 8:10 am

kratoscar2008 wrote:[
Well i heard that when a JP VA dies the character dies with him/her so i think im not too far off, doesnt most Japanese games use the same VAs? I mean im sure that 90% of the games protagonists sound like the same guy in Japan.

Mildly accurate. In Japanese voice acting, for the most part, a VA/seiyuu becomes the character in a sense. Take Igor's voice from Persona for example. They recently did the anime for 4 but his VA had passed away a few years prior. What they did, though, was not just cut him out entirely. They actually took the archive of lines he did for the games, remixed them and put them in the anime.

They are few exceptions where they do change the VA though. Gundam Unicorn has Bright being voiced by Orange-kun's VA (Jeremiah Gottwald from Code Geass for the ill informed), Ken Narita.

kanade2
Netherworld Count
Netherworld Count

Postby kanade2 » Sat May 04, 2013 9:13 am

kratoscar2008 wrote:

You will have to research that as I just don't have the time to do so.

kratoscar2008
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby kratoscar2008 » Sat May 04, 2013 9:29 am

Lynx Amali wrote:
kratoscar2008 wrote:[

Mildly accurate. In Japanese voice acting, for the most part, a VA/seiyuu becomes the character in a sense. Take Igor's voice from Persona for example. They recently did the anime for 4 but his VA had passed away a few years prior. What they did, though, was not just cut him out entirely. They actually took the archive of lines he did for the games, remixed them and put them in the anime.

They are few exceptions where they do change the VA though. Gundam Unicorn has Bright being voiced by Orange-kun's VA (Jeremiah Gottwald from Code Geass for the ill informed), Ken Narita.

So they can change VAs based on the character popularity or the original VA popularity?

kanade2 wrote:
kratoscar2008 wrote:

You will have to research that as I just don't have the time to do so.

Maybe Houk can fill us.

Houk
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby Houk » Sat May 04, 2013 10:40 pm

Sorry, I don't really know too much about Japanese VAs, NIS or otherwise.

Darcnova
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Darcnova » Sat May 04, 2013 10:57 pm

Houk wrote:Sorry, I don't really know too much about Japanese VAs, NIS or otherwise.

We're in the same boat. I usually just assume that the ones I hear constantly are expensive, while the ones that I don't aren't.

Like I said, I've only heard Laharl's VA in some somewhat major anime, but I haven't heard any others, which is probably why you guys are able to afford them, and not run into any roadblocks...like that one game that had dual audio stopped because 1 VA didn't want their voice to be used :lol:

St0ck
Majin
Majin

Postby St0ck » Sun May 05, 2013 12:09 am

Turns out Wiki has a nice article on this, Japanese voice actors are linked to their respective wiki pages with noted works:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Disgaea_characters
Turns out Etna is Hughes' wife in Fullmetal Brotherhood and the voice of Velma in the Japanese dub of Scooby Doo... who'd of thunk.

PerryComo
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby PerryComo » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:37 pm

A mysterious message coming from nowhere...

Return to “Time and Eternity”