Preparation for Disgaea D2

The Official Disgaea D2: A Brighter Darkness Discussion Board
Vaginu
New Vassal
New Vassal

Preparation for Disgaea D2

Postby Vaginu » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:37 am

Is it a good idea to replay disgaea1 before D2 comes out or might it actually ruin something when playing D2 a few months after? what do you guys think?

Ringwraith
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Re: Preparation for Disgaea D2

Postby Ringwraith » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:42 am

Provided you can deal with now-clunky-feeling gameplay, it's probably a good idea, I expect obscure callbacks to be present.
<SaturnineTenshi> and we can play with solice because he likes it
<Solice> i hear it's better than playing with myself

<Solice> celtic had a hard time getting his ball out?
<Kana> oh man, you have no idea

Stranger
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby Stranger » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:41 pm

I'll say this. The game is still a classic, but it really doesn't hold up as well as you might remember. It's aged less like wine and more like cheese. Yeah, it still tastes great, but it's starting smell pretty bad.

It's also a lot harder than the other games due some pretty cheap stages and much slower leveling curve. Actually, everything about the game is slower.
Tu fui ego eris

Ringwraith
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Ringwraith » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:51 pm

Well, the gameplay doesn't really hold up as much, due to DIsgaea 2 just being better, but the rest of it still does.

Vaginu
New Vassal
New Vassal

Postby Vaginu » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:58 am

Ahhh! I remember back then dying quite a lot. I thought it was mainly because i was a beginner to the series and generally to SRPGs. Thought instead of being easier that in the newer games i just played so much better XD. Remember doing some stupid stuff like investing bonus points into things like SP, accidently hitting teammates, equiping orbs on physical attackers :oops:
would not have forgotten to not kill teammates or reset after an accident but thanks for reminding ;)
im curious now to actually try out myself how the gameplay feels now and i definetly dont want to miss callbacks just because i have forgotten after long time. :)

Stranger
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby Stranger » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:40 am

Ringwraith wrote:Well, the gameplay doesn't really hold up as much, due to DIsgaea 2 just being better, but the rest of it still does.

D2 had it's own share of issues. And then D3 had some stupid stuff too, some of it fixed in AoD, some of it not.

DD2's issues are bringing back D1's issues. Aside from binding the gameplay to the individual netherworlds, and given the level of meta-awareness in this series, I seriously wouldn't doubt that being the case, there is no reason to bring back Weapon Mastery and Extra Gain. They ditched those systems for a reason.
Tu fui ego eris

Ringwraith
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Ringwraith » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:42 am

Stranger wrote:
Ringwraith wrote:Well, the gameplay doesn't really hold up as much, due to Disgaea 2 just being better, but the rest of it still does.

D2 had it's own share of issues. And then D3 had some stupid stuff too, some of it fixed in AoD, some of it not.

Right, but Disgaea 2 was just better is most of the core regards compared to the first one, seeing as most of the changes were just refinements.

Stranger
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby Stranger » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:00 pm

Ringwraith wrote:
Stranger wrote:
Ringwraith wrote:Well, the gameplay doesn't really hold up as much, due to Disgaea 2 just being better, but the rest of it still does.

Right, but Disgaea 2 was just better is most of the core regards compared to the first one, seeing as most of the changes were just refinements.

It fixed some things, but added more issues as well.
Tu fui ego eris

Ringwraith
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Ringwraith » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:12 pm

Stranger wrote:It fixed some things, but added more issues as well.

...like what exactly? The only ones I can think of are fairly minor unless you're going deep into post-game nonsense.

Stranger
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby Stranger » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:19 pm

Ringwraith wrote:

...like what exactly? The only ones I can think of are fairly minor unless you're going deep into post-game nonsense.

I think we can all agree felonies were dumb. Dark Sun was also a pain compared to X-Dimension.
Tu fui ego eris

Ringwraith
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Ringwraith » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:40 pm

Stranger wrote:
Ringwraith wrote:

I think we can all agree felonies were dumb. Dark Sun was also a pain compared to X-Dimension.

Right, so something that only really matters post-game, and something which didn't exist at all in 1 and was definitely post-game. So that's one minor downgrade from the first game and a new optional thing you can do?
Pretty sure that doesn't outweigh everything else it did or classifies as much of a problem.

Stranger
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby Stranger » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:20 pm

Ringwraith wrote:
Stranger wrote:
Ringwraith wrote:

Right, so something that only really matters post-game, and something which didn't exist at all in 1 and was definitely post-game. So that's one minor downgrade from the first game and a new optional thing you can do?
Pretty sure that doesn't outweigh everything else it did or classifies as much of a problem.

It all added up. There a lot things that persisted in D2, the aforementioned Weapon Mastery and Pupil systems. Honestly the only thing that really improved was the UI.
Tu fui ego eris

Ringwraith
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Ringwraith » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:44 pm

Stranger wrote:It all added up. There a lot things that persisted in D2, the aforementioned Weapon Mastery and Pupil systems. Honestly the only thing that really improved was the UI.

You can't count the weapon mastery and pupil systems as "problems" when comparing the first two games, as they both have them in almost exactly the same form.
The gameplay flow improved (really, the first feels clunky to execute in comparison), you could actually indefinitely hold onto your own characters (as well have tower attacks as an options), the fact each class had an unique ability made them all stand out a lot more (except the few with ones which only kicked in at critical health, they didn't so much), the Item World generation was much better, not having random nigh-unreachable sections or anything, thieves didn't have terrible stats, named characters had their own aptitude spreads and abilities making them stand out more from the generics, as well the aptitude distribution being much more varied across the generics...

I could go on. Suffice to say, 2 is the better "game" of the two.

the8anarchist
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby the8anarchist » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:04 pm

felonies were kind of a pain to start but once you knew how to streamline the process it became much easier, dark sun maps were pretty much a precursor to the X dimension, with estoric unlock conditions, but chucking an unfelonied high level unit into the sun rendered it harmless, so really that complaint about the dark sun is moot in my eyes.

personally i like the weapon mastery/armsmaster system and extra gain system, as its lets classes unlock any skill, as does the chara world, but under the correct conditions weapon mastery/extra gain is faster for acquiring skills, chara world just added aptitude boosts for an extra bonus.

also weapon mastery gives 5% stats per level from the weapon, which with an armsmater at 1900(the cap in disgaea 2 anyways) is faster than grinding the respective innocents from reverse pirating and duping in the later games, also 255*5=1275% boost to a weapons stats, 2.5 times what a 500 weapon boosting innocent can give.

really the only thing D3&4 have over one and two outside of becoming more and more refined with each installment are uncapped statisticians at a total of 3200%
"Life?! What do you mean life!?! I ain't got a life!"

Stranger
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby Stranger » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:34 pm

Ringwraith wrote:
Stranger wrote:It all added up. There a lot things that persisted in D2, the aforementioned Weapon Mastery and Pupil systems. Honestly the only thing that really improved was the UI.

You can't count the weapon mastery and pupil systems as "problems" when comparing the first two games, as they both have them in almost exactly the same form.
The gameplay flow improved (really, the first feels clunky to execute in comparison), you could actually indefinitely hold onto your own characters (as well have tower attacks as an options), the fact each class had an unique ability made them all stand out a lot more (except the few with ones which only kicked in at critical health, they didn't so much), the Item World generation was much better, not having random nigh-unreachable sections or anything, thieves didn't have terrible stats, named characters had their own aptitude spreads and abilities making them stand out more from the generics, as well the aptitude distribution being much more varied across the generics...

I could go on. Suffice to say, 2 is the better "game" of the two.

Maybe my dislike of 2's plot is getting in the way here, but my brain is unable to accept that.

If you asked me, which one do I want to go replay right now, I'm still saying D1. Actually, I can tell you how many times I've played through each game. I didn't go quite as far into post-game in D2 as the others, because by the time I got around to playing it, D3 was like a month away, so maybe the nitty gritty of "improvements" made were lost on me.

If the problems in D1 caused a flat tire, D2 simply tried to patch it up with duct tape only to flatten a different tire not so far down the road. D3 replaced both flat tires and D4 didn't break or fix anything but added on some really shiny hubcaps. And I'm really hoping that analogy makes sense.
Tu fui ego eris

Return to “Disgaea D2 (PS3)”