Adell's new voice is making me want a refund.

The Official Disgaea D2: A Brighter Darkness Discussion Board
Uiru
Geo Master
Geo Master

Adell's new voice is making me want a refund.

Postby Uiru » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:00 am

After paying $3 for the exact same content I got in Disgaea 4 (and arguably Disgaea 3), the one thing that wasn't a direct copy and paste was his voice, which is now awful.

I'm not happy with Rozalin's voice either, but it isn't aggressively bad.

It's amazing how quickly NISA went from gold to trash with their DLC. I bought every drop of Disgaea 3 DLC and would do it again. Price hikes and gouging in D4 turned me off from buying it all; in fact I regret buying as much as I did. And D2? Adell, Rozalin and Lilliel is it (and I only got Lilliel because I had leftover credit in my wallet).

If you're going to continue to try to sell the exact same product over and over, NISA, please make sure it is at least not strictly worse than it was the last time you put your hand out for a tip. I really like Disgaea D2 (well, except for the constant stutters and pauses) but there are right and wrong ways to do DLC. That we are still paying for Adell and Rozalin in the first place is absurd. They should have been free (or included on disc) and something like Almaz and Sapphire should have been available for purchase in their place. Paying up for a THIRD TIME and then finding out that "whoops their voices suck now btw, thanks for the cash" shatters my confidence in you as a customer.

Hopefully this gets straightened out before I just start skipping the first version entirely and just wait for the portable one. :/
~Uiru

greenzsaber
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Re: Adell's new voice is making me want a refund.

Postby greenzsaber » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:44 am

This would be better off in the Feedback section.
Spoiler:

Doc4000
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal

Postby Doc4000 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:24 pm

I didn't make it to the post game yet but after seeing a video of Adell on Youtube, I would have to agree. The new VA is terrible. Wow! :shock:
Last edited by Doc4000 on Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlancnOut
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby BlancnOut » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:28 pm

Sounded like a whiny/unencouraged voice if you ask me. It's like the guy's voice cracked or something.

Made me cringe.
wrote: What? Someone gave you constructive criticism on your half assed work? HOW DARE THEY!

dood
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby dood » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:38 pm

I am pretty sure that the new VA for Adell is Todd Heberkorn. I don't mind the change to much. I think the original VA's voice matched Adell a lot better but I actually kind of like the new voice.
BA☆KU☆HA☆TSU

Ringwraith
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Ringwraith » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:28 pm

VA changes are rarely done on a whim.
Usually a reason they can't get someone to reprise a role.

Also, NISA don't control the 'making DLC free' thing I am pretty sure. Besides, they need to pay for the VAs (including the original Japanese ones) and such.
<SaturnineTenshi> and we can play with solice because he likes it
<Solice> i hear it's better than playing with myself

<Solice> celtic had a hard time getting his ball out?
<Kana> oh man, you have no idea

japangator
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby japangator » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:15 pm

Ringwraith wrote:VA changes are rarely done on a whim.

Also, NISA don't control the 'making DLC free' thing I am pretty sure. Besides, they need to pay for the VAs (including the original Japanese ones) and such.

Glad to have someone around to salvage the situation. I was going to pull the Asagi card to make a point that a VA change isn't something to get bent out of shape about but i don't want to offend anybody if they are that passionate about keeping things as they were before.

Uiru
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby Uiru » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:29 pm

Somewhere in NIS (I am aware of the difference between NIS and NISA but unless NIS has an English language forum somewhere my comments on NIS games must go through NISA) is a hard drive with all of Adell and Rozalin's non-cringeworthy voice lines stored on it. If, for some inconceivable reason, the VAs who were around for the last what, four games? are not around for this one, use them. It's not like there's much beyond battle grunts anyway. If royalties must be paid, surely it would be less expensive to use existing assets rather than bring in a new guy to phone it in. (And even if not, you got what you paid for. I wish I knew what I was paying for beforehand. Do I have to quality check every DLC now?)

And yet I'd bet if I switched to the Japanese voices I'd get the same VAs for everyone. (Don't get me started on Asagi. I would pay $20 apiece for D4, Prinny 2 and DD2 to get her D3 voice back.) I know the treatment of VAs is worlds apart between the two territories but I would expect people in decision-making positions to know that too, and be able to work around it.
~Uiru

BlancnOut
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby BlancnOut » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:50 pm

There's this thing called Youtube. Use it next time.
wrote: What? Someone gave you constructive criticism on your half assed work? HOW DARE THEY!

Uiru
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby Uiru » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:18 pm

BlancnOut wrote:There's this thing called Youtube. Use it next time.

I'm going to have to, and that is unbelievably sad.
~Uiru

Ringwraith
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Ringwraith » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:39 am

Uiru wrote:

Somewhere in NIS (I am aware of the difference between NIS and NISA but unless NIS has an English language forum somewhere my comments on NIS games must go through NISA) is a hard drive with all of Adell and Rozalin's non-cringeworthy voice lines stored on it. If, for some inconceivable reason, the VAs who were around for the last what, four games? are not around for this one, use them. It's not like there's much beyond battle grunts anyway. If royalties must be paid, surely it would be less expensive to use existing assets rather than bring in a new guy to phone it in. (And even if not, you got what you paid for. I wish I knew what I was paying for beforehand. Do I have to quality check every DLC now?)

And yet I'd bet if I switched to the Japanese voices I'd get the same VAs for everyone. (Don't get me started on Asagi. I would pay $20 apiece for D4, Prinny 2 and DD2 to get her D3 voice back.) I know the treatment of VAs is worlds apart between the two territories but I would expect people in decision-making positions to know that too, and be able to work around it.
~Uiru

They can't use the same stuff again unless it matches up with itself.
Basically, if the Japanese lines were re-recorded, the English ones will need to be as well.
Especially if they added any extra lines compared to the previous games, meaning it wouldn't match up and you'd either get silence or just completely irrelevant lines.

VA changes happen for a lot of reasons, most often because a VA unionises and they can't get a hold of them now, thus prompting a change. Simply not being able to afford someone is a fairly good reason for skipping it. Although another reason is they are simply unavailable in the short window that the recording needs to be done, which has happened to various things before, even larger-budget projects.

But as always when buying something blind, caveat emptor applies.

Chamaeleonx
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby Chamaeleonx » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:47 am

Well it really is sad but Im doing the same thing for LoL too :/. Sadly they wont give us a preview window... . So you rather google for leeks or early adopters. Well, as long as they dont change the japanese VA that much.

I mostly play Japanese by the way.
•_•)
( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■)
Warrior: Time to bust some Balls! :>

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Write me a PM if you have questions, im online daily.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Magic User Guide for easy LoC Stat Farming: viewtopic.php?f=85&t=13494

Ringwraith
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Ringwraith » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:52 am

Chamaeleonx wrote:

Well it really is sad but Im doing the same thing for LoL too :/. Sadly they wont give us a preview window...

Although to be fair, recently their new skins have come with a post with screenshots, and you can check model viewers on the internets.
Plus the whole thing they give you some refunds you can use in case it turns out you really don't like something, which is a problem I have but the purchase was too old to rectify it. :P

Chamaeleonx
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby Chamaeleonx » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:00 am

Ringwraith wrote:
Chamaeleonx wrote:

Well it really is sad but Im doing the same thing for LoL too :/. Sadly they wont give us a preview window...

Although to be fair, recently their new skins have come with a post with screenshots, and you can check model viewers on the internets.
Plus the whole thing they give you some refunds you can use in case it turns out you really don't like something, which is a problem I have but the purchase was too old to rectify it. :P

You get 3 refunds in total for your account..., not that much.
If you want to view at older skins you have to look them up on youtube as there are no screenshots. Sure new skins will be posted with screenshots but you still wont see them in motion.
•_•)
( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■)
Warrior: Time to bust some Balls! :>

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Write me a PM if you have questions, im online daily.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Magic User Guide for easy LoC Stat Farming: viewtopic.php?f=85&t=13494

Ringwraith
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Ringwraith » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:29 am

Chamaeleonx wrote:You get 3 refunds in total for your account..., not that much.
If you want to view at older skins you have to look them up on youtube as there are no screenshots. Sure new skins will be posted with screenshots but you still wont see them in motion.

They top them back up every now and again however.

Return to “Disgaea D2 (PS3)”