what would be your high school title

The ultimate forum for the ultimate fans of the ultimate game series!
User avatar
SilentlyVocal
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal
Posts: 59
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:39 pm
Contact:

Re: what would be your high school title

Postby SilentlyVocal » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:53 pm

Seventh wrote:What I don't understand is this assumption that the "new" fans wouldn't like something silly more in line with the original game or the fan translations. New fans in Japan who were initially exposed to it liked it, new fans who were then exposed to various fan translations liked it then, so what is it about these new fans that will be starting with NISA's translation that sets them apart from all the other people who accepted and enjoyed the over the top translation prior?

I don't even care so much that it's not the exact same translation that other sources used, what bothers me is how blatantly different it is. The fact that every other source has the term as more than one word and as something somewhat over the top should say something here.


Oh give it a break, it's been explained a million times why they chose it and if you just can't get over that then that's your problem, not theirs.

If a "different" translation of a specific term that doesn't change the overall meaning of the term, flow of the story, or,, really anything about the game bothers you so much then that's seriously not their issue, it's yours.
Image

User avatar
Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke
Posts: 29268
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:49 pm
Location: Zawame City

Re: what would be your high school title

Postby Seventh » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:57 pm

You give it a break. That wasn't a complaint, it was a question - and a fairly legitimate one to ask.

I want to understand the logic behind the decision. Obviously it can't be changed at this point, but I'd like to understand how this came to pass. Did no one stop and look at all other translations, as well as the original text itself, and think that maybe they had the wrong idea?
Image

User avatar
SilentlyVocal
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal
Posts: 59
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:39 pm
Contact:

Re: what would be your high school title

Postby SilentlyVocal » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:17 pm

They already said that they looked at the original japanese and decided that "Ultimate" would work best for them. It was their personal decision regarding what they got from the Japanese and that's all the explanation really anyone can give you.

They're aware of the fan translations but iirc, they've not looked at them to avoid possible accusations of stealing, which is a fairly smart business practice.
Image

User avatar
Lago
Geo Master
Geo Master
Posts: 92
Joined: Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:25 pm

Re: what would be your high school title

Postby Lago » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:44 pm

You people care a little too much for a phrase that is barely used outside of the prologue, and basically doesn't even matter.

User avatar
SoySauce
Geo Master
Geo Master
Posts: 105
Joined: Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:26 am
Location: Tumblr

Re: what would be your high school title

Postby SoySauce » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:15 pm

Lago wrote:You people care a little too much for a phrase that is barely used outside of the prologue, and basically doesn't even matter.


I agree. They chose what they chose, it's stupid to argue about it and like Lago says it really doesn't matter. It doesn't effect the gameplay what so ever. Just gives each character a specific title. NISA changed it to "Ultimate" because it worked for them. Ultimate is short to the point and delivers the message that each of these kids have a skill or talent unique to them highest in their field. When you're the best at something you're top tier. Isn't that what ultimate is?
When I'm right and you're not?
Spoiler:
Image


Image

User avatar
ZekeFreek
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke
Posts: 8445
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:45 pm
Location: OBEYING GOOGLE, OVERLORD OF HUMANITY
Contact:

Re: what would be your high school title

Postby ZekeFreek » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:58 pm

SoySauce wrote:
Lago wrote:You people care a little too much for a phrase that is barely used outside of the prologue, and basically doesn't even matter.


I agree. They chose what they chose, it's stupid to argue about it and like Lago says it really doesn't matter. It doesn't effect the gameplay what so ever. Just gives each character a specific title. NISA changed it to "Ultimate" because it worked for them. Ultimate is short to the point and delivers the message that each of these kids have a skill or talent unique to them highest in their field. When you're the best at something you're top tier. Isn't that what ultimate is?


That's the "accepted" definition of Ultimate. But as I pointed out earlier, it isn't the "actual" definition of the word. Ultimate really means something is "Final". Which is why "Penultimate" means "Second to last" or "close to the end".
Follow me on Twitter, http://www.twitter.com/ZekeFreek
Image
Click Below To Check Out My Original Web Novel Series! Million To One!
Image
Image
Listen me and some chums talk anime at https://www.youtube.com/user/Inuyashath ... ubeythe3rd

User avatar
SoySauce
Geo Master
Geo Master
Posts: 105
Joined: Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:26 am
Location: Tumblr

Re: what would be your high school title

Postby SoySauce » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:21 pm

ZekeFreek wrote:
SoySauce wrote:
Lago wrote:You people care a little too much for a phrase that is barely used outside of the prologue, and basically doesn't even matter.


I agree. They chose what they chose, it's stupid to argue about it and like Lago says it really doesn't matter. It doesn't effect the gameplay what so ever. Just gives each character a specific title. NISA changed it to "Ultimate" because it worked for them. Ultimate is short to the point and delivers the message that each of these kids have a skill or talent unique to them highest in their field. When you're the best at something you're top tier. Isn't that what ultimate is?


That's the "accepted" definition of Ultimate. But as I pointed out earlier, it isn't the "actual" definition of the word. Ultimate really means something is "Final". Which is why "Penultimate" means "Second to last" or "close to the end".


And that's the reason why this argument exists. Because of people wanting direct translations from top to bottom exactly how the fan-translation is. That's why people are complaining about this whole thing. If you want the fan translation it's available, if you want the localization get it. Everyone complains about the little things.
When I'm right and you're not?
Spoiler:
Image


Image

User avatar
ZekeFreek
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke
Posts: 8445
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:45 pm
Location: OBEYING GOOGLE, OVERLORD OF HUMANITY
Contact:

Re: what would be your high school title

Postby ZekeFreek » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:48 pm

SoySauce wrote:
ZekeFreek wrote:
SoySauce wrote:
Lago wrote:You people care a little too much for a phrase that is barely used outside of the prologue, and basically doesn't even matter.


I agree. They chose what they chose, it's stupid to argue about it and like Lago says it really doesn't matter. It doesn't effect the gameplay what so ever. Just gives each character a specific title. NISA changed it to "Ultimate" because it worked for them. Ultimate is short to the point and delivers the message that each of these kids have a skill or talent unique to them highest in their field. When you're the best at something you're top tier. Isn't that what ultimate is?


That's the "accepted" definition of Ultimate. But as I pointed out earlier, it isn't the "actual" definition of the word. Ultimate really means something is "Final". Which is why "Penultimate" means "Second to last" or "close to the end".


And that's the reason why this argument exists. Because of people wanting direct translations from top to bottom exactly how the fan-translation is. That's why people are complaining about this whole thing. If you want the fan translation it's available, if you want the localization get it. Everyone complains about the little things.


That's not my complaint. My complaint is that there was no point in changing what fans already knew other than "we wanted to give our two cents to the translation issue". And also that the english word they used doesn't make much sense.
Follow me on Twitter, http://www.twitter.com/ZekeFreek
Image
Click Below To Check Out My Original Web Novel Series! Million To One!
Image
Image
Listen me and some chums talk anime at https://www.youtube.com/user/Inuyashath ... ubeythe3rd

User avatar
SoySauce
Geo Master
Geo Master
Posts: 105
Joined: Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:26 am
Location: Tumblr

Re: what would be your high school title

Postby SoySauce » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:18 am

ZekeFreek wrote:
SoySauce wrote:
ZekeFreek wrote:
SoySauce wrote:
Lago wrote:You people care a little too much for a phrase that is barely used outside of the prologue, and basically doesn't even matter.


I agree. They chose what they chose, it's stupid to argue about it and like Lago says it really doesn't matter. It doesn't effect the gameplay what so ever. Just gives each character a specific title. NISA changed it to "Ultimate" because it worked for them. Ultimate is short to the point and delivers the message that each of these kids have a skill or talent unique to them highest in their field. When you're the best at something you're top tier. Isn't that what ultimate is?


That's the "accepted" definition of Ultimate. But as I pointed out earlier, it isn't the "actual" definition of the word. Ultimate really means something is "Final". Which is why "Penultimate" means "Second to last" or "close to the end".


And that's the reason why this argument exists. Because of people wanting direct translations from top to bottom exactly how the fan-translation is. That's why people are complaining about this whole thing. If you want the fan translation it's available, if you want the localization get it. Everyone complains about the little things.


That's not my complaint. My complaint is that there was no point in changing what fans already knew other than "we wanted to give our two cents to the translation issue". And also that the english word they used doesn't make much sense.


Then don't buy it. Complaining over little stuff is trivial... NISA did what they did for a reason (being that Japanese has no direct EXACT translation to english and changes were made to be suitable for westerners) and you have to accept that. Ultimate may mean last or final but you said so yourself it's the "accepted" definition so why don't you quit arguing about it and just accept it?
When I'm right and you're not?
Spoiler:
Image


Image

User avatar
ZekeFreek
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke
Posts: 8445
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:45 pm
Location: OBEYING GOOGLE, OVERLORD OF HUMANITY
Contact:

Re: what would be your high school title

Postby ZekeFreek » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:09 am

SoySauce wrote:Then don't buy it. Complaining over little stuff is trivial... NISA did what they did for a reason (being that Japanese has no direct EXACT translation to english and changes were made to be suitable for westerners) and you have to accept that. Ultimate may mean last or final but you said so yourself it's the "accepted" definition so why don't you quit arguing about it and just accept it?


1. Just because I'm unhappy with something doesn't mean I won't buy it, because I will. This series' journey to the west is long overdue, of course I'll support it.

2. It's my prerogative to find fault in localization efforts. The very least we can do is challenge them when they make dumb decisions.

3. I don't want an "exact" translation. Hell, if they could come up with something I liked more than "Super Highschool Level", I'd welcome it. But they didn't. They picked something I think is stupid so I'm going to call it as such. It's my opinion.

4. Minor point. But I'm tired of people using the word "Ultimate" in the wrong context. I'm working towards an English major. I'm a nitpicker for things like that.
Follow me on Twitter, http://www.twitter.com/ZekeFreek
Image
Click Below To Check Out My Original Web Novel Series! Million To One!
Image
Image
Listen me and some chums talk anime at https://www.youtube.com/user/Inuyashath ... ubeythe3rd

User avatar
Splicer
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility
Posts: 537
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:04 am

Re: what would be your high school title

Postby Splicer » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:20 am

ZekeFreek wrote:4. Minor point. But I'm tired of people using the word "Ultimate" in the wrong context. I'm working towards an English major. I'm a nitpicker for things like that.

Are you literally butthurt?

'Cause I am too. My tailbone really hurts from sitting in this bad posture for months.
Image

User avatar
SoySauce
Geo Master
Geo Master
Posts: 105
Joined: Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:26 am
Location: Tumblr

Re: what would be your high school title

Postby SoySauce » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:10 am

ZekeFreek wrote:
SoySauce wrote:Then don't buy it. Complaining over little stuff is trivial... NISA did what they did for a reason (being that Japanese has no direct EXACT translation to english and changes were made to be suitable for westerners) and you have to accept that. Ultimate may mean last or final but you said so yourself it's the "accepted" definition so why don't you quit arguing about it and just accept it?


1. Just because I'm unhappy with something doesn't mean I won't buy it, because I will. This series' journey to the west is long overdue, of course I'll support it.

2. It's my prerogative to find fault in localization efforts. The very least we can do is challenge them when they make dumb decisions.

3. I don't want an "exact" translation. Hell, if they could come up with something I liked more than "Super Highschool Level", I'd welcome it. But they didn't. They picked something I think is stupid so I'm going to call it as such. It's my opinion.

4. Minor point. But I'm tired of people using the word "Ultimate" in the wrong context. I'm working towards an English major. I'm a nitpicker for things like that.


God this feels like danganronpa. Nonstop debates about opinions on minor changes that don't matter.

Naturally if something makes you unhappy you're not going to want to deal with it, that's how human emotions work right? You'll avoid it. So basically you're going to support changes that make you unhappy? While I don't see why, it's obvious it's not that bad to you if you still bought/ are buying the game.

Of course it's your right as a customer to state how you feel and that's perfectly fine but why go on and on about the little things such as translation changes? This isn't the only game that's been changed or edited for the sake of localization so it should be expected.

All in all it's nothing but pure nitpicking so I refuse to on any further about the subject if that's how you feel that's how you feel, I can't change that nor do I want to. Personally, as long as the game is still a game I welcome change. They have their reasons for what they did so I have no reason to complain about it because I trust in their decisions.
When I'm right and you're not?
Spoiler:
Image


Image

User avatar
ZekeFreek
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke
Posts: 8445
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:45 pm
Location: OBEYING GOOGLE, OVERLORD OF HUMANITY
Contact:

Re: what would be your high school title

Postby ZekeFreek » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:14 am

God this feels like danganronpa. Nonstop debates about opinions on minor changes that don't matter.


Fuck, he figured it out.
Follow me on Twitter, http://www.twitter.com/ZekeFreek
Image
Click Below To Check Out My Original Web Novel Series! Million To One!
Image
Image
Listen me and some chums talk anime at https://www.youtube.com/user/Inuyashath ... ubeythe3rd

Houk
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke
Posts: 2532
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:52 am

Re: what would be your high school title

Postby Houk » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:30 pm

ZekeFreek wrote:4. Minor point. But I'm tired of people using the word "Ultimate" in the wrong context. I'm working towards an English major. I'm a nitpicker for things like that.


This is a terrible way to approach language. Words have multiple meanings, and those meanings can change and grow over time. That's how language works. As long as the writer/speaker's intent is clear, that's all that really matters.

Plus, in this case you're not "nitpicking" anything. One definition of "ultimate" is "the highest or the best." This is a common meaning that every native speaker either already knows or can easily comprehend based on the context. You're just flat-out wrong about this one.

User avatar
ZekeFreek
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke
Posts: 8445
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:45 pm
Location: OBEYING GOOGLE, OVERLORD OF HUMANITY
Contact:

Re: what would be your high school title

Postby ZekeFreek » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:21 am

Houk wrote:
ZekeFreek wrote:4. Minor point. But I'm tired of people using the word "Ultimate" in the wrong context. I'm working towards an English major. I'm a nitpicker for things like that.


This is a terrible way to approach language. Words have multiple meanings, and those meanings can change and grow over time. That's how language works. As long as the writer/speaker's intent is clear, that's all that really matters.

Plus, in this case you're not "nitpicking" anything. One definition of "ultimate" is "the highest or the best." This is a common meaning that every native speaker either already knows or can easily comprehend based on the context. You're just flat-out wrong about this one.


I understand this. But there are better words you could've used.
Follow me on Twitter, http://www.twitter.com/ZekeFreek
Image
Click Below To Check Out My Original Web Novel Series! Million To One!
Image
Image
Listen me and some chums talk anime at https://www.youtube.com/user/Inuyashath ... ubeythe3rd


Return to “Danganronpa™ + Danganronpa™ 2”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests