Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair (Vita) ♥ Available Now!

The ultimate forum for the ultimate fans of the ultimate game series!
SuperNipah
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Re: The Super Dangan Ronpa 2 Topic!

Postby SuperNipah » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:26 pm

PringlesXD wrote:Dangaronpa 2 is better than the first game? Is that even possible? Whoa, I hope we get it at a later date, then.

From what I've read of the Let's Play, the story is a lot more interesting. While Danganronpa has a great cast, I'm finding myself liking the cast of the second game a whole lot more.

I'm sure we'll be able to get the second game, provided enough people buy the first one. :P

Shizuka
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Postby Shizuka » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:08 pm

Everyone tells me that the second game is leagues ahead of the first game, which by itself is leagues ahead of most latest and upcoming releases.

scorpionox
New Vassal
New Vassal

Postby scorpionox » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:25 am

edited after I read ero_prince's comment and was reminded of Climax Logic.
Houk wrote:
PringlesXD wrote:Dangaronpa 2 is better than the first game? Is that even possible? Whoa, I hope we get it at a later date, then.

I don't know about the storyline itself, but I do know that the second one adds several new gameplay elements, and some additional side-gameplay stuff. Basically it sounds like there's a good bit more to do gameplay-wise, so in that sense it seems like they improved on that stuff.

I can expand a bit on SDR2, don't worry I'm not going to spoil you guys.
Note: I'm using DR to mean Dangan Ronpa (the original), and SDR2 for the sequel

Trials have new mini-games, and the old mini-games from DR are now harder and more action-y.
It makes the trials more exciting.

WARNING: Trial mini-game spoilers below!!!
Spoiler:
Non-stop discussion in DR only allows you to call out someone else when they say something wrong, it felt awkward at times (Like when no one's really saying anything wrong, but you still have to interrupt someone to move on with the trial). When you are challenged on your reasoning in DR, you are faced with a quick multiple choice question, you don't get cut off or interrupted.

In SDR2, when people are discussing stuff, and someone has the right idea (but no evidence), you can back them up and then prove it with the evidence you found. It's also now possible in SDR2 for someone else to call you out as wrong, with a new mini-game just for this purpose. Getting cut off for the first time is really jarring, it makes you feel more equal to everyone else in the trial.

Machine Gun Talk Battle (I don't know if NISA translation will call it this) is more reasonable than the first game and is renamed in SDR2. I hated DR's 4-button scheme for MTB, and SDR2's 3-button controls are much, much better.

Climax Logic (this might not be NISA's translation) has been improved, it is now easier to see what you're doing, and they tell you if you screwed up before Hinata goes on a story telling adventure. It's hard to explain unless you've played DR already.

There is a side-game in SDR2 that's kinda tacked on, but it's funny and cute in an otherwise bleak, horrible world. It has no effect on the story in the PSP release.

Character relations have been improved, such that all characters now give you a good skill at the end of their event chain. In DR, some characters just won't give you any good skills for the trial, so I avoided them on my first playthrough. SDR2 doesn't have this problem, as most skills are bought from a skill store, and the best ones are the ones from maxing out your relation with another character.

The murders in SDR2 are much sicker, and more convoluted than the first game.
The later murders end up being so messed up that (my hunches, at least) ended up being totally off the mark, leaving me confused and unable to trust the other characters. The fact that the murders are more complex in this game makes the trials a lot harder to work through, it's just awesome.

DR's murders pale in comparison, as DR's mysteries aren't anything new or creative to regulars of the genre. Don't let that discourage you though, DR has top-notch story telling, dialogue and an interesting premise.

Both are great games, but SDR2 had the chance to improve on DR, and they took it and hit it out of the park.

Meggido
Vassal
Vassal

Postby Meggido » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:54 am

That sounds insane. Played the first with a fan translation and absolutely loved it and really really want to play the second. The fact the first is getting loacalised surprised me but has me really hoping the second will be. I'm looking forward to see how the improvements impact the gameplay. The only thing I wasn't a fan of in the first was the machinegun talk battles so i'm glad it's been reworked.

ConcernedCitizen
Peon
Peon

Postby ConcernedCitizen » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:18 am

I honestly have only one question.

Since the "ou" dipthongs in character names are being shortened to "o" for the sake of easier pronunciation among English speakers, does that mean the localized second game will feature Kazuichi Soda?

Lago
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby Lago » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:46 pm

I think the only reason anyone might prefer Danganronpa over Super Danganronpa 2 is if they vastly prefer the characters in the first game. Because nearly everything is improved in the sequel.

Adding on to what Scorpionox said, there is still one more thing I really liked about the sequel was that every character gets an equal amount of 'free time events', and this time you actually get an indicator of how much of a character's story you've seen in the form of Fragments of Hope. Each characters has six fragments to 'collect', which makes it a lot more compelling to go out and try to get to know everyone. And when that character that you had a bunch of fragments with suddenly dies, it's a lot more impacting. It's also a big deal, because everyone is around the same level of character development, unlike the first game where characters that died early on never got all that much depth to them.

ConcernedCitizen
Peon
Peon

Postby ConcernedCitizen » Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:24 pm

Lago wrote:I think the only reason anyone might prefer Danganronpa over Super Danganronpa 2 is if they vastly prefer the characters in the first game. Because nearly everything is improved in the sequel.

Adding on to what Scorpionox said, there is still one more thing I really liked about the sequel was that every character gets an equal amount of 'free time events', and this time you actually get an indicator of how much of a character's story you've seen in the form of Fragments of Hope. Each characters has six fragments to 'collect', which makes it a lot more compelling to go out and try to get to know everyone. And when that character that you had a bunch of fragments with suddenly dies, it's a lot more impacting. It's also a big deal, because everyone is around the same level of character development, unlike the first game where characters that died early on never got all that much depth to them.

I didn't really want to get involved in any serious discussion here, but I beg to differ.

I agree that the second game had vastly improved gameplay mechanics and some of the characters are better (I'd say that both games are equal in this regard), but the plot had some pretty big problems. I won't get into it because of spoilers, but it barely qualifies as a fair-play mystery.

Lago
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby Lago » Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:13 am

ConcernedCitizen wrote:I didn't really want to get involved in any serious discussion here, but I beg to differ.

I agree that the second game had vastly improved gameplay mechanics and some of the characters are better (I'd say that both games are equal in this regard), but the plot had some pretty big problems. I won't get into it because of spoilers, but it barely qualifies as a fair-play mystery.

I mean, I'm not saying you can't possibly prefer the first game's plot... But the second game's plot is totally fair-play. If anything, the first game is less fair-play than it is. If you're going to use a measurement like Knox's Ten Commandments, the first game is actually technically less fair.

Just to clarify, have you played the game? Not to necessarily say you don't know what you are talking about, but I've seen a lot of other people who just read the spoiler summaries say the same thing. When I've actually explained things to them, they changed their mind on how they viewed the story. I have read some of the spoiler summaries, and looking at them I would probably think the game is full of plot holes or just doesn't make sense. But when I was playing the game, it was all presented in a way where you definitely could put the pieces together yourself long before the big reveals, and everything made sense. Sure, there are still plot holes, but literally every story has some sort of plot holes. And SDR2's plot holes only really are a problem if you're trying to get really picky, their nothing that ruins the story or anything like that.

SuperNipah
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby SuperNipah » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:45 pm

I just finished reading and watching a playthrough of this, and... wow. Honestly, I love the first Danganronpa, but the sequel is MILES better in terms of story and characters. I think I like it about as much as 999, and that's saying a lot for me. So many well done twists, completely blew my mind.

ZekeFreek
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby ZekeFreek » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:01 am

Yes, the second game is superior in many ways.
Follow me on Twitter, http://www.twitter.com/ZekeFreek
Click Below To Check Out My Original Web Novel Series! Million To One!
Listen me and some chums talk anime at https://www.youtube.com/user/Inuyashath ... ubeythe3rd

Ryuuki
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby Ryuuki » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:08 am

The 2 it's really superior but the best part is that it's directly connected with the first game.

Mirai
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby Mirai » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:35 am

The characters and game mechanics are definately better than DR1 as well as the story twists, however I prefered DR1's setting over SDR2's one.

Another thing to point out is newcomers should not play/read an LP of SDR2 before DR1 as SDR2 is directly connected to DR1 and some of the plot won't make sense to you if you haven't finished DR1.
"We've both been rejected by this world, we both feel the same threat. Yet here we are destined to kill each other in the end."

edgy404
Majin
Majin

Postby edgy404 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:49 pm

NIS America is holding a press event February 13th. Any hope for a localization announcement? ;)
FC:1547-5970-9875

ero_prince
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby ero_prince » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:53 pm

edgy404 wrote:NIS America is holding a press event February 13th. Any hope for a localization announcement? ;)

no, still to early. i think they might do it at AnimeExpo this year again

edgy404
Majin
Majin

Postby edgy404 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:58 pm

Drats. A summer or fall release seems very fitting for the sequel. :lol:
FC:1547-5970-9875

Return to “Danganronpa™ + Danganronpa™ 2”