Dangan Ronpa Review Thread

The ultimate forum for the ultimate fans of the ultimate game series!
iatheia
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal

Re: Dangan Ronpa Review Thread

Postby iatheia » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:30 am

Beedlebud wrote:Yup. Have yet to see someone who plans on playing the game who watched the anime first say that they were happy about it, because they knew all the twists and turns.

I am quite happy about it. I would never have wanted to play it if it wasn't for anime. And also, more so for SDR2 once it comes out, but also in part for DR, but I would have been completely terrified out of my mind near the end of it playing it on my own. Knowing how the story is going to unfold and the fact that there is a satisfactory ending makes it less of a stressful experience for me.

Beedlebud
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Beedlebud » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:48 am

OtakuStudy wrote:
Beedlebud wrote:*sigh* I can't stop you, but just know that you're basically sabotaging yourself from having a better first experience with DR. :|

I suppose you could always sample the first episode or two of the anime. Just enough to give you an idea of what to expect without spoiling too much :).

I am with Beedlebud here as well, you do risk having a less enjoyable experience through watching the anime first.

Yeah, I think the first two episodes are fine, but it's important to pull back. I couldn't stop after I read the first chapter personally :lol:

CTOONfan1
Majin
Majin

Postby CTOONfan1 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:52 am

And we've dropped a point on our Metascore. Great

Cheat Code Central- 3.4/5

Danganronpa has the look, sound, characters and story for a very interesting mystery-horror game. If you enjoy horror, particularly the off-kilter brand of horror at which Japanese creators tend to excel, you should definitely give the game a spin. Just be prepared to be disappointed that it's more interested in challenging your reflexes than your brain, particularly since having a proper opportunity to solve its mysteries would have been a far more interesting challenge than mastering the simple arcade games that stand in their place.

Alice Twilight
Netherworld Marquis
Netherworld Marquis

Postby Alice Twilight » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:12 pm

Beedlebud wrote:Yup. Have yet to see someone who plans on playing the game who watched the anime first say that they were happy about it, because they knew all the twists and turns.

Venus wrote:Well based on what I read from myanimelist.net the synopsis seems rather interesting so...hmmm perhaps. It's just that knowing me I'll probably forget many of the nuances of the story since I'll be watching a lot of anime etc between the time I watch the anime and get the game. Besides with a rating of 7.5 it doesn't seem that bad so I don't think it'll be a waste.

*sigh* I can't stop you, but just know that you're basically sabotaging yourself from having a better first experience with DR. :|

I watched upto episode 3 of the anime before deciding I should top and play the fan translation.
Would have regretted it if I watched the anime first. It follows the game too closely and fitting it all in 22 minute episodes makes it a mess. I think the anime is only for people who enjoyed the game to be honest.

Beedlebud
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Beedlebud » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:18 pm

^Agreed. I'd only recommend it if you weren't planning on playing the game. It just skims past too many important plot points for me. It's a nice treat for people who've already read the game though.

Mirai
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby Mirai » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:52 am

411Mania- 8.4/10

Danganronpa may miss the mark with many gamers because of the style of game it is. However, if you’re ready for a solid story and intriguing characters, it’s a great time to bust out the Vita and give the game a try. What you’ll find is a great adventure title that will find you guessing at every turn.

TheKoalition- 92/100

But for each day I played the game, I stayed up until 6:00 in the morning after promising myself I would only play for an hour before I went to bed. Daganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc mixes features that may seem absurd on paper; however, they blend wonderfully together to create an enthralling experience. If you decide to pick up this game, then you should expect to not get any sleep before you have to go to work.
"We've both been rejected by this world, we both feel the same threat. Yet here we are destined to kill each other in the end."

ZekeFreek
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby ZekeFreek » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:28 am

Well I just finished the game last night so I figured I'd write up something about it. I haven't finished School Mode, but that shouldn't matter much and I may update the review if anything there deserves more mention.

NOTE: Review is spoiler-tagged due to length, not because it has any actual spoilers.

Spoiler:
Four years is a long time between initial release and official localization in this day and age. And while it is great that the series is finally getting the recognition it deserves, some players may be divided over how the transition was made. This game's journey to the west has been long overdue, but for some, it might be a shaky, turbulent, plane ride rather than smooth sailing.

Danganronpa may have more gameplay elements than most traditional visual novels, but it is a still a VN at its core and thus the story trumps all in this case. And it goes without saying the plot of Danganronpa is great in many different ways. It can be dark, it can be emotional, it can be suspenseful, it can be heartwarming and above all else it can be insanely clever. When all is said and done and you've solved every mystery and survived each twist and turn, it becomes readily evident that a lot of thought was put into making the plot work.

One of the things I find most impressive is that, on the surface, the premise of Danganronpa is really quite silly. No, really. Try explaining to someone that it's the story of group of "ultimate" students being trapped and coerced to kill eachother in a school by a sadistic teddy bear. In fact, you don't have to look very far to see disdain for this series and how ridiculous it can be at times. There are many who simply can't take it seriously when the villain is a psychotic cartoony teddy bear and the blood is pepto-bismol pink.

But for the more open-minded and courageous, you might find that Danganronpa makes it work. Avoiding spoilers, I can tell you that the game DOES get a bit absurd at times, but that's the weird thing. It works. You can take it seriously, and for a while I wondered why that is.

But now I think I understand that the reason Danganronpa pulls itself off so well is because the core writing is just that strong. Every member of its cast is distinct, personable and believable. Every mystery is so well thought-out and detailed, and every solution is deduced rationally, no matter how ridiculous it gets. Its twists are shocking, its atmosphere is immersive, its messages are well-founded, if a bit cheesy. Danganronpa is quirky, unique and enticing until the end. Story-wise, it is simply brilliant, and that is why we fans take it as seriously as we do.

The gameplay works for its intended purpose, but I never found it to be essential. There's little challenge involved in any of the trial mini-games and it only really serves to make it seem a bit more interactive. Honestly, these elements could've been removed and made the game a straight VN and it would've worked all the same. That being said, the minigames have their charm. There's something about literally "shooting down arguments" that is satisfying in its own right.

And sometimes it does trip you up, forcing you to figure out exactly "which" piece of evidence disproves a certain claim, or trying to put together exactly how a crime was pulled off in an order of events. Still, it isn't meant to be difficult or challenging as the game gives you very lengthy periods of time to figure things out and the only penalty for failure is... to try again.

Now... we have to talk about NISA's localization. I've already made my disdain for it clear before so I'm going to sum up the points I want to make about it as succinctly as I can. These are my issues with it.

1. The change from "Super Highschool Level"/"Super Duper" to "Ultimate".
-This change annoys me. But I understand the reasoning for it. I was really dead set against it at first, but after playing through the whole game... eh... I got used to it. It fits just as well, even if it isn't my preference. So I'll give it a pass.
2. The removal of additional vowels from character names.
-I really do not like this change. NISA has done this before and I've never liked it. Because this kind of change falls under the category of "Assuming the audience for an otaku game has no knowledge of Japanese language/culture", which is a ridiculous notion. It's a minor annoyance but it still grates on me. Other localization companies don't do this, I don't know why NISA thinks they're so special.
3. Everyone addresses eachother by first name. (Aside from one character for plot-reasons)
-This is my bigger issue. If you have any inkling of how the Japanese language works and have heard the JP voice acting, you'll know why this is an issue. Having everyone call eachother by first name makes the whole cast seems a LOT closer than they are actually supposed to be. In my mind, this changes the perception of their relationships and by extent, alters characterization. Which is a big no-no.
4. Absence of suffixes.
-A related point to #3. Now NISA does this all the time, but it is especially egregious here. Getting rid of suffixes in a Disgaea game doesn't bother me in the least. But Danganronpa is a story full of Japanese characters in a Japanese setting. Along with the above point, the absence of name suffixes alters the perception of the character's relations to anyone who knows anything about Japanese culture. There is a BIG difference between "Kirigiri-san" and simply "Kyoko". Again, other localization companies understand this, so NISA doesn't have much of an excuse.

I was honestly shocked when I first heard NISA was going to be the company to bring this game over. It didn't seem like it fit them, and I think even they'll admit that Danganronpa is a bit outside their norm. NISA has a particular style of localization that works for the games they usually bring over, the Disgaeas, the Neptunias, etc. But when dealing with a more... grounded story that has actual Japanese culture in it, that style no longer works. It's a poor fit. A mis-match. It only serves to highlight all the problems I personally have with their style of localization and shows how stubborn and cowardly they can be by ignoring knowledge that most of their audience has.

If there is one thing about the localization that stands out as a positive however, it's the English Dub itself. It's very well casted and very well acted, everyone fits their roles perfectly even if they don't initially seem like they do. The level of back and forth makes it seem like the actors were really playing off of eachother. I don't actually know if the voice actors were recorded in a group (I would love to know though) or if they were recorded separately. Even if they were recorded separately, they did a phenomenal job playing off eachother nonetheless.

I am somewhat disappointed that there isn't much of any voice acting outside of the trials, as some characters kind of get the shaft that way. But that's how it was in the Japanese version as well, so I can't really complain too much. Even if NISA had the budget for it, there was probably a technical reason they couldn't dub more lines.

So to wrap-up, let's review the pros and cons.

+Great Atmospheric Story
+Memorable and Unique Cast of Characters
+Excellent English Dub

-The localization will be hit-or-miss with some fans.
-Mini-games can be tedious if all you want is a straight visual novel.
-I'm still a bit irked that we essentially got half of a game, considering the Reload re-release had both DR1 and DR2 in it's initial JP release. I understand the reasons for it, but I still feel like I'm being forced to pay double. Still, very happy to hear DR2 is coming over as well and so soon too!

Final Score: 8/10.
Final Thoughts: Cannot wait for Danganronpa 2.
Follow me on Twitter, http://www.twitter.com/ZekeFreek
Click Below To Check Out My Original Web Novel Series! Million To One!
Listen me and some chums talk anime at https://www.youtube.com/user/Inuyashath ... ubeythe3rd

CTOONfan1
Majin
Majin

Postby CTOONfan1 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:10 am

Well this came from an unexpected place.

Fox News- 9/10

Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc is a much needed radical overhaul of the visual novel genre. Western gamers who have either never tried the visual novel genre, or who have been put off it entirely should take another look, and prepare to get sucked into one of the most absorbing games of the year so far.

Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Seventh » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:13 am

F-Fox News?! :shock:

ZekeFreek
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby ZekeFreek » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:26 am

I imagine that man will be fired any day now.
Listen me and some chums talk anime at https://www.youtube.com/user/Inuyashath ... ubeythe3rd

Shizuka
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Postby Shizuka » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:52 pm

http://www.foxnews.com/archive/adam-shaw/index.html

Mostly mainstream news, nice to see such a positive review for Danganronpa.

Mirai
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby Mirai » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:11 am

More reviews incoming:

Gameblog(fr)- 3.5/5
Note: Review is in French

DanganRonpa: Trigger Happy Havoc is an experience to share, near the interactive cartoon, in which you spend most of your time ... to read. Too bad the game is entirely in English, for his intrigues prove stakeholders, while its characters and atmosphere delusional reach us dive into the adventure. Finally, we note some lengths for a few passages that may tire the player despite a very good layout and sequence of research, discussions and accusations intelligently enhanced with several mini-games. A title to try before you buy, despite its qualities.

4Players- 87/100
Note: Review is in German

Spike Chunsoft kidnapped one with DanganRonpa in a hermetically sealed elite school, you can count only as a successful murderer or a corpse. As one of 15 involuntary prisoners be exposed to a zermarternden psychological terror, which the boundaries between camaraderie and rivalry, look to a whole new emotional depths and is already enough to hope in despair - and all before the cameras of a mysterious stranger who only have a bizarre bear doll comes into contact with the incarcerated. It must follow rules, offenses reconstructed unmasks perpetrators and bear macabre judgments. The strikingly staged fight for survival can thereby even be adapted to individual puzzles and action needs. Only German subtitles or the included in Japan continued one looks in vain, unfortunately. For mystery fans still no way around this gripping anime thriller takes you past!

TheGamersHub- 9/10

A niche title that offers a unique murder-mystery story, complete with likeable characters, simple gameplay, and beautiful presentation

Escapist- 8/10

This is a great little game that has learned lessons from the most celebrated visual novels and adventure games out there, combining the best of the best to create a thoroughly rewarding murder mystery. It can be a bit too ponderous at times, and some of its investigations are more busy work than detective work, but the strength of the writing carries it forward. In any case, you won't find many more surprising games on your PS Vita this year.

Now this surprises me I didn't think Jim Sterling would review a game like this and for him to give this game a 8/10 from him is definately worth noting.
"We've both been rejected by this world, we both feel the same threat. Yet here we are destined to kill each other in the end."

ZekeFreek
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby ZekeFreek » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:29 am

Now this surprises me I didn't think Jim Sterling would review a game like this and for him to give this game a 8/10 from him is definately worth noting.

1. There's no "a" in "definitely". I wouldn't normally go out of my way to point out a spelling error but that one is so common I fear one day someone's going to mis-spell it in a dictionary and it will become the new spelling and everyone will laugh at me when I try to tell them otherwise. So please, for my sake, make a honest attempt to remember how that word is spelled.

2. If FOX NEWS reviewed this game, nothing can surprise me anymore.

Beedlebud
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Beedlebud » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:38 am

ZekeFreek wrote:

1. There's no "a" in "definitely". I wouldn't normally go out of my way to point out a spelling error but that one is so common I fear one day someone's going to mis-spell it in a dictionary and it will become the new spelling and everyone will laugh at me when I try to tell them otherwise. So please, for my sake, make a honest attempt to remember how that word is spelled.

Do you really have to correct everyone on their grammar? And be a jerk about it? It's a mistake. It happens. You can correct people without sounding like a snob about it.

ZekeFreek
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby ZekeFreek » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:40 am

Beedlebud wrote:
ZekeFreek wrote:

Do you really have to correct everyone on their grammar? And be a jerk about it? It's a mistake. It happens.

I always resist the urge to, but that particular mistake is so commonplace that I really feel the need to spread awareness of it.

Return to “Danganronpa™ + Danganronpa™ 2”