*MAJOR SPOILERS* Dangan Ronpa Chapter 6 Discussion

The ultimate forum for the ultimate fans of the ultimate game series!

Rating out of 5 on this Chapter:

5 out of 5 - Excellent
88%
4 out of 5 - Good
3%
3 out of 5 - Alright
9%
2 out of 5 - Bad
No votes
1 out of 5 - Terrible
No votes

Total votes: 32

Mirai
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

*MAJOR SPOILERS* Dangan Ronpa Chapter 6 Discussion

Postby Mirai » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:42 am

This is the place where you can discuss freely all the events that occur within Chapter 6 and the Epilogue of Dangan Ronpa.

Just remember the following:

-This thread will contain MAJOR SPOILERS. If you have yet to complete the entire game of Dangan Ronpa, it is highly recommended that you STAY AWAY from this thread until you have completed the game.

-Making comparisons with previous chapters is allowed, as long as you keep your main discussion on Chapter 6.

-Not everyone will have picked the same characters as you have during Free Time, for this reason if you plan on discussing Free Time events, place your text under spoiler tags and mention above which event and character that you talked about in the spoilers.
Example here:
Maizono Sayaka 1st Event:
Spoiler:
Esper

I may just create a seperate topic for discussion on Free Time events depending on how things run here.

And with that covered have fun discussing your adventure in Despair Acadamy!
"We've both been rejected by this world, we both feel the same threat. Yet here we are destined to kill each other in the end."

Alice Twilight
Netherworld Marquis
Netherworld Marquis

Re: *MAJOR SPOILERS* Dangan Ronpa Chapter 6 Discussion

Postby Alice Twilight » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:50 pm

Junko was the last person who I thought was the person who died twice, failed so many times when playing the fan tranlastion.

Great twist and it wasn't out of nowhere either, looking back on it, Mukuro made it obvious she wasn't really Junko.

Sumner
Netherworld Count
Netherworld Count

Postby Sumner » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:56 am

At some point i figured it was junko, but the plot twist took me for a loop. Also everything hasn't been solved
in my eyes. I mean the tragedy wasn't explained in detail for starters.
Then there's monokuma coming back on. And finally it feels like i'm missing somthing else :?:
Meteor Breaker!

Ryuuki
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby Ryuuki » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:08 pm

Sumner wrote:At some point i figured it was junko, but the plot twist took me for a loop. Also everything hasn't been solved
Then there's monokuma coming back on. And finally it feels like i'm missing somthing else :?:

The details about tragedy should be shown in Danganronpa Another Episode. Others things (like how Enoshima erased they memories and more about Hopes Peak Academy) in Danganronpa Zero. And many other things in Danganronpa 2.

Mirai
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby Mirai » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:24 pm

Absolutly loved this chapter even now I remember clearly how I felt when I first played through the finale. :D

Alice Twilight wrote:Junko was the last person who I thought was the person who died twice, failed so many times when playing the fan tranlastion.

Great twist and it wasn't out of nowhere either, looking back on it, Mukuro made it obvious she wasn't really Junko.

By the time I had started this chapter I already considered Junko being the most likely candiadate as the mastermind.

Still an amazing twist as it was foreshadowed from the very beginning of the game.

Ryuuki wrote:
Sumner wrote:At some point i figured it was junko, but the plot twist took me for a loop. Also everything hasn't been solved

The details about tragedy should be shown in Danganronpa Another Episode. Others things (like how Enoshima erased they memories and more about Hopes Peak Academy) in Danganronpa Zero. And many other things in Danganronpa 2.

As Ryuuki said DR1 explained everything that needed to be explained, the rest of it (tragedy) was to be left to your imagination initially but now SDR2 goes into more detail about it. Also knowing more about Hope's Peak Acadamy with Dangan Ronpa Zero.

After finishing this game I recommend then reading Dangan Ronpa Zero which is a prequel light novel to DR1 before starting SDR2.
"We've both been rejected by this world, we both feel the same threat. Yet here we are destined to kill each other in the end."

ZekeFreek
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby ZekeFreek » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:22 am

The only thing that irks me a bit is that the final trial drags on a bit too long.

Yes, there is TONS of stuff to explain but it kind of drags it out. Seriously, the trial is almost 3 hours long.
Follow me on Twitter, http://www.twitter.com/ZekeFreek
Click Below To Check Out My Original Web Novel Series! Million To One!
Listen me and some chums talk anime at https://www.youtube.com/user/Inuyashath ... ubeythe3rd

BlackRockPrinny
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal

Postby BlackRockPrinny » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:53 pm

This chapter/ending is why I'm actually a bit angry about Danganronpa 2 as a whole (even though I'll absolutely buy it once it comes out, hell yes!)
_The way I see it, Danganronpa has an open ending but that seemed to be purposeful, metaphorical. The entire subtext (and blatant theme by the end) was Hope V Despair, or in other words: Meaning V Nihilism, and how one's interpretations can give meaning to their life.

Was the outside world shitty and hellish? Even to the point of it having toxic air?
Was everyone they cared about truly dead?
Had Junko helped mastermind the world into ruin (after The Tragedy)?

It was left up to the player to believe whatever it was they wanted, and so that changed the ending drastically on how much hope the player put into it. The fact that Dangan2 is a sequel takes away from that open metaphor and fleshes things out more (I promise not to talk about it ever until a forum thread is dedicated to it), which really ruins it for me.

Anyway, some thing's I've figured out and have always believed after DR1:
1) Mukuro was ex-Fenrir and so damn skilled she never got a scar. She must've had real influence, if not at least the admiration, of the entire mercenary corps. and likely used that to add to whatever armaments and tech Hope's Peak already had
2) The air being toxic outside was bogus since everyone would've suffocated and flopped dead the moment the doors opened
3) The giant omnivorous plant, the ultra air converter (since being able to "make air on mars" is not simply "purification"), and a bunch of other background things hint that Junko clearly could've had some kind of biotech that allowed her to mess with the student's memories.
4) The Tragedy may have been WWIII, the aftermath of which being the catalyst for potentially global nihilism
5) Junko hacking the broadcasting of the world's airwaves is too much, like there literally being a giant Monokuma and the monuments of the world bearing the bear's face. It just tears apart the suspension of disbelief. However, narrowing it down to only Japan's airwaves isn't as insane considering things. Yeah, it's still crazy, but remember that Hope's Peak and everything was centralized in Japan, and that antenna was probably only picking up Japan's channels. Also note she was a genius possibly on par with Chihiro.
6) While the concept of a Nietzsche nightmare, the idea that true nihilism spread across all mankind to decimation, is definitely horrifying, it's likely nowhere near as bad as Junko plays it up to be.

In the end all we know for a fact is that Junko is an unreliable, conceited, schizophrenic narrator and a liar with an agenda. She knew how to play off her mistakes well by saying she had planned for them, and had the outcomes of both final scenarios in mind. She was also a very good and disarming manipulator.

Personally, I prefer to think that the nihilistic spread was more localized than Junko puts on and that a good ending awaited the cast beyond the doors.
"I'm a total stoic badass hottie, Dood! Look at my rocks! My rocks rock, Dood! Ka-BLAM!" -Black★Rock Prinny

Mirai
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby Mirai » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:32 pm

BlackRockPrinny wrote:
Spoiler:
This chapter/ending is why I'm actually a bit angry about Danganronpa 2 as a whole (even though I'll absolutely buy it once it comes out, hell yes!)
_The way I see it, Danganronpa has an open ending but that seemed to be purposeful, metaphorical. The entire subtext (and blatant theme by the end) was Hope V Despair, or in other words: Meaning V Nihilism, and how one's interpretations can give meaning to their life.

Was the outside world shitty and hellish? Even to the point of it having toxic air?

It was left up to the player to believe whatever it was they wanted, and so that changed the ending drastically on how much hope the player put into it. The fact that Dangan2 is a sequel takes away from that open metaphor and fleshes things out more (I promise not to talk about it ever until a forum thread is dedicated to it), which really ruins it for me.

1) Mukuro was ex-Fenrir and so damn skilled she never got a scar. She must've had real influence, if not at least the admiration, of the entire mercenary corps. and likely used that to add to whatever armaments and tech Hope's Peak already had
2) The air being toxic outside was bogus since everyone would've suffocated and flopped dead the moment the doors opened
3) The giant omnivorous plant, the ultra air converter (since being able to "make air on mars" is not simply "purification"), and a bunch of other background things hint that Junko clearly could've had some kind of biotech that allowed her to mess with the student's memories.
4) The Tragedy may have been WWIII, the aftermath of which being the catalyst for potentially global nihilism
5) Junko hacking the broadcasting of the world's airwaves is too much, like there literally being a giant Monokuma and the monuments of the world bearing the bear's face. It just tears apart the suspension of disbelief. However, narrowing it down to only Japan's airwaves isn't as insane considering things. Yeah, it's still crazy, but remember that Hope's Peak and everything was centralized in Japan, and that antenna was probably only picking up Japan's channels. Also note she was a genius possibly on par with Chihiro.
6) While the concept of a Nietzsche nightmare, the idea that true nihilism spread across all mankind to decimation, is definitely horrifying, it's likely nowhere near as bad as Junko plays it up to be.

In the end all we know for a fact is that Junko is an unreliable, conceited, schizophrenic narrator and a liar with an agenda. She knew how to play off her mistakes well by saying she had planned for them, and had the outcomes of both final scenarios in mind. She was also a very good and disarming manipulator.

Personally, I prefer to think that the nihilistic spread was more localized than Junko puts on and that a good ending awaited the cast beyond the doors.

I don't know weather you have played SDR2 and read DR0 or not so I won't reference anything from them, but originally before those two sources came out DR1's ending was left up to the player's imagination but the majority of Dangan Ronpa players didn't like that and demanded to know what really happened to the outside world hence it has now been told.

1- She was amazing at her talent just read DRIF and DR0 and that's more than enough.
2- I don't know why people thought of it this way because Junko didn't mean that the outside air was literally full of poisonous gas. What she meant was that the world was intoxicated with despair.
3- The air purifier in the physics lab was creating oxygen so the students could live inside as all the doors and windows were all air-tightly sealed.
4- DR0 explains this.
5- SDR2 explains this part.
6- Again SDR2 and DR0 tells you this as well.

As I said earlier I don't know if you have seen SDR2 and DR0 so I'm not sure weather your points are how you felt when you finished DR1 before seeing the other DR sources or you haven't and that's how you feel about it now.

Avebone
Vassal
Vassal

Postby Avebone » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:19 pm

BlackRockPrinny wrote:
Spoiler:

Honestly I kind of felt the same thing at first about SDR2 until I watched all of it. Then I realized that my life is much better for it's existence. The game itself is just so much better than DR1 to me in about every way. So I am glad that they decided to make a 2nd game instead of leave it open ended.

I always took the toxic air as in like it was heavily polluted but not like kill you instantly toxic, you can live in it but it isn't good for your health type deal.

ZekeFreek
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby ZekeFreek » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:56 pm

I always thought the real metaphor of Daganronpa was the fear and anxiety of graduating from High School and going out into a cynical and cut-throat world.

That kind of metaphor works for the first game if you choose to believe it. If you don't want to move past the first game, nobody is making you.
Listen me and some chums talk anime at https://www.youtube.com/user/Inuyashath ... ubeythe3rd

BlackRockPrinny
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal

Postby BlackRockPrinny » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:45 pm

Mirai wrote:I don't know weather you have played SDR2 and read DR0 or not so I won't reference anything from them, but originally before those two sources came out DR1's ending was left up to the player's imagination but the majority of Dangan Ronpa players didn't like that and demanded to know what really happened to the outside world hence it has now been told.

That's usually the way, isn't it? You can really tell this story wasn't meant to actually expand, and though DR2 came out as good as it did I sincerely can't think of how this story can keep from plummeting in quality when it gets to Ultra Dangan Ronpa 4 Turbo (sounds like a title they might use).
I'd be nearly awed if they did manage it, though considering they apparently made a Gaiden game about shooting Monokumas...eh...
Still, I do appreciate DR2 for what it is and how it plays with DR1 vets' expectations while subverting sequel tropes. It's also fun and has another great cast.

Mirai wrote:1- She was amazing at her talent just read DRIF and DR0 and that's more than enough.

Well it's even stated in the game. Damn was she something! It's also kind of sad that, if you do her...uh...Dangan Link (the report card events) she seems like she genuinely starts to have a change of heart almost.
I'll check out those sources eventually, though.
Wait, what's "DRIF"?
Mirai wrote:2- I don't know why people thought of it this way because Junko didn't mean that the outside air was literally full of poisonous gas. What she meant was that the world was intoxicated with despair.

No, I just beat it a few hours ago and she definitely makes a special mention of the air purifier when she says how toxic the air is outside. It's clearly a bluff/manipulation ploy from her to keep them in the school.
Though considering how she talked about the outside world even aside from the Tragedy it seemed she thought it was toxic in that way, too
Mirai wrote:3- The air purifier in the physics lab was creating oxygen so the students could live inside as all the doors and windows were all air-tightly sealed.

Yeah I know, I just meant that its existence alludes to the level of technology available to the mastermind as the one in control of Hope's Peak. Also that a "purifier" only purifies, not "creates oxygen" miraculously. Hope's Peak's student body was beyond intelligent, and for Junko to come out on top until the end only shows what kind of cunning she really had. Enough to make yah shudder
Mirai wrote:4- DR0 explains this.
5- SDR2 explains this part.
6- Again SDR2 and DR0 tells you this as well.

Wow. Sounds like I have some recommended reading before diving into DR2 when it comes out, then. Thanks!
Mirai wrote:As I said earlier I don't know if you have seen SDR2 and DR0 so I'm not sure weather your points are how you felt when you finished DR1 before seeing the other DR sources or you haven't and that's how you feel about it now.

Both, actually. It's how I felt when I finished the fan translation and how I still feel, despite having read half-way through DR2 and skimmed some vids of it (long before I realized Project Zetsubou or NISA for that matter were on it).
Avebone wrote:Honestly I kind of felt the same thing at first about SDR2 until I watched all of it. Then I realized that my life is much better for it's existence. The game itself is just so much better than DR1 to me in about every way. So I am glad that they decided to make a 2nd game instead of leave it open ended.

Well I've yet to really experience DR2 myself so maybe after that I might feel a bit differently. I'm glad they made it anyway, though, too.
ZekeFreek wrote:I always thought the real metaphor of Daganronpa was the fear and anxiety of graduating from High School and going out into a cynical and cut-throat world.

No, that's the actual subtext of the entire game, which is separate from the central theme (Hope V Despair), which you are WAY more observant than me for noticing as I...never realized that. haha
I feel so dumb now. Can't believe I didn't realize that.
ZekeFreek wrote:That kind of metaphor works for the first game if you choose to believe it. If you don't want to move past the first game, nobody is making you.

Oh, no, don't get me wrong I'm not going into a tirade about how the first was better or anything, just kind of letting out how I felt as a whole after just finishing this game again. I will totally be buying DR2, if only because it's easily one of the best sequels I've ever seen (and is also fun with a great cast).

Besides, as a buddy of mine used to say "Stories end when they are ended, and a new one begins when the old one is continued."
Basically that if a story is self-contained and has an ending, no matter what the sequel(s) branch into, that story is still it's own entity. It's how I'm able to enjoy Metal Gear Solid even though Kojima had... other plans...for my boy Snake.

Anyway, did anyone else really get shocked by the level of voice acting for Junko? I mean, Togami took a bit of getting used to and everyone else was excellent to me, but Junko's was just on a whole other level. I've never heard a performance so fittingly frenetic.

Also, did you notice how Junko dropped her DID act part way through only to pick it up again? What do you guys think? Did she have a real evil organization of personalities in her head, or was this another put-on by Junko?
"I'm a total stoic badass hottie, Dood! Look at my rocks! My rocks rock, Dood! Ka-BLAM!" -Black★Rock Prinny

ZekeFreek
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby ZekeFreek » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:26 pm

Also, did you notice how Junko dropped her DID act part way through only to pick it up again? What do you guys think? Did she have a real evil organization of personalities in her head, or was this another put-on by Junko?

She's insane. Honestly she could've been the Super Highschool Level Psycho Ward Escapee and it wouldn't have changed the plot much.

No, that's the actual subtext of the entire game, which is separate from the central theme (Hope V Despair), which you are WAY more observant than me for noticing as I...never realized that. haha
I feel so dumb now. Can't believe I didn't realize that.

Well yeah, I've always thought that. Even the killing game can be seen as a metaphor for how we all kind of struggle together in school, only to eventually go out into the world and compete for our livelihoods, (using the term cut-throat literally).

Mirai
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby Mirai » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:28 pm

BlackRockPrinny wrote:That's usually the way, isn't it? You can really tell this story wasn't meant to actually expand, and though DR2 came out as good as it did I sincerely can't think of how this story can keep from plummeting in quality when it gets to Ultra Dangan Ronpa 4 Turbo (sounds like a title they might use).
I'd be nearly awed if they did manage it, though considering they apparently made a Gaiden game about shooting Monokumas...eh...
Still, I do appreciate DR2 for what it is and how it plays with DR1 vets' expectations while subverting sequel tropes. It's also fun and has another great cast.

I'm not sure how far Spike Chunsoft intent to go with the Dangan Ronpa franchise but another two games for the series has been anounced a few months ago, DR:AE (third-person shooter spin-off) and DR3.
About SDR2 I will say for me personally that the characters and how the trials are done are much better than DR1.

BlackRockPrinny wrote:Well it's even stated in the game. Damn was she something! It's also kind of sad that, if you do her...uh...Dangan Link (the report card events) she seems like she genuinely starts to have a change of heart almost.
I'll check out those sources eventually, though.
Wait, what's "DRIF"?

DRIF is a short novel that comes with SDR2 and its a what if everyone gets out of Hope's Peak alive scenerio with Mukuro as the protagonist. It pretty much implies here that Mukuro has a crush on Naegi.

BlackRockPrinny wrote:No, I just beat it a few hours ago and she definitely makes a special mention of the air purifier when she says how toxic the air is outside. It's clearly a bluff/manipulation ploy from her to keep them in the school.
Though considering how she talked about the outside world even aside from the Tragedy it seemed she thought it was toxic in that way, too

This part isn't entirely clear and I may have interpreted it wrongly. But all i'm going to say about this now is the outside world definately isn't full of poisonous gas.

BlackRockPrinny wrote:Yeah I know, I just meant that its existence alludes to the level of technology available to the mastermind as the one in control of Hope's Peak. Also that a "purifier" only purifies, not "creates oxygen" miraculously. Hope's Peak's student body was beyond intelligent, and for Junko to come out on top until the end only shows what kind of cunning she really had. Enough to make yah shudder

Yeah you're right you can't just create oxygen but i'm sure you get the point I was saying.
Junko is without a doubt the most talented and intelligent person in the series, its not really surprising she considers herself a perfect superhuman.

BlackRockPrinny wrote:Wow. Sounds like I have some recommended reading before diving into DR2 when it comes out, then. Thanks!

Yeah I'm having to hold back a lot of information you don't know about yet.

BlackRockPrinny wrote:Anyway, did anyone else really get shocked by the level of voice acting for Junko? I mean, Togami took a bit of getting used to and everyone else was excellent to me, but Junko's was just on a whole other level. I've never heard a performance so fittingly frenetic.

I don't know which language you were listening to but I definately give props to Megumi Toyoguchi for playing such an excellent role as Junko as switching through all those personalities must of been difficult.

Also just to point out Junko doesn't have DID, she maintains her memories with all her personalities, hmmm think of it as how most people tend to hide away how they truly feel about something whereas in Junko's case she's not hiding anything and is speaking her true feelings. If you have played Persona 4 you'd probably get what i'm on about :?.

Darcnova
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Darcnova » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:52 pm

Is Spike Chunsoft really obsessed with the world ending...anyone who played a certain other series would know why I think this.

Anyways, the open ending is nice and all, but the trial was too long for my taste...I had to finish it on the charger, because it took 3 hours...

CTOONfan1
Majin
Majin

Postby CTOONfan1 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:15 pm

BlackRockPrinny wrote:Anyway, did anyone else really get shocked by the level of voice acting for Junko? I mean, Togami took a bit of getting used to and everyone else was excellent to me, but Junko's was just on a whole other level. I've never heard a performance so fittingly frenetic.

Well it kinda helps that she's voiced by two different people. The actresses that play Toko and Jill, Amanda C. Miller and Erin Fitzgerald respectively, play Junko's different personas. I haven't gotten to this chapter in my playthrough yet, but if the acting is getting so much praise, they really must've pulled it off.

BlackRockPrinny wrote:Also, did you notice how Junko dropped her DID act part way through only to pick it up again? What do you guys think? Did she have a real evil organization of personalities in her head, or was this another put-on by Junko?

The thing about Junko is that she puts on different personas because she's bored, not because she's crazy. She says herself that she even gets bored of herself, so changing how she acts is just to get things exciting for her. When she drops them, it's just her revealing her actual personality before putting on another persona.

Return to “Danganronpa™ + Danganronpa™ 2”