What's the point of Kibogamine Academy?

The ultimate forum for the ultimate fans of the ultimate game series!
Alice Twilight
Netherworld Marquis
Netherworld Marquis

What's the point of Kibogamine Academy?

Postby Alice Twilight » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:19 pm

Let's suspend our disbelief a little.

To be invited there you must be the best at what you do. You're better than anyone else in your talent, the world already acknowledges your expertise, so why would graduating from the Academy benefit you other than looking good on your resume?

There's also the questionable talents that are supposed to rebuild the world
What good is a Super Highschool Level idol? Dangan Ronpa is obviously set in the real world (Genocider Syo being a real person) and I'm pretty sure successful people like Lady Gaga, Justin Bieber and Beyonce exist. When Sayaka graduates the world is still going to be spinning, she'll get her paycheck, have shows booked along with said famous people I mentioned, some people will like her, some people wont (Sayaka did nothing wrong)

Celestia Ludenberg's title is rather silly too.
She's the best gambler ever, she's also incredibly selfish I'd imagine, not like she's ever going to donate her money to charity, isn't she already a successful gambler who can't lose?

Mukuro is the best soldier to ever walk the battlefield, why even attend school if you've got a job, your mercenary group could really use your expertise < there's that word, she's already successful.

Super Highschool Level doujin writer? Your talent is useless, we already have a novelist in the school, who let you in?

Let's discuss this school.

Fibble
Geo Master
Geo Master

Re: What's the point of Kibogamine Academy?

Postby Fibble » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:24 am

The academy is a place where talent is nurtured. So, it stands to reason that if you attend there, whatever talent you possess can become even better than it already is.

Of course, you're right that the students' talents are probably already well-developed enough, but thinking about it logically, if there's a chance you could be better, and you have a free opportunity to become that, it only makes sense to go and cover all your bases, don't you think?

Plus, while you're there, you can learn how to become talented at other skills, in case you change your mind about the kind of career you want. (Remember how Mondo wanted to take up carpentry?)

Really though, this isn't supposed to be taken that seriously...

piddlesworth
Vassal
Vassal

Postby piddlesworth » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:41 am

Pretty sure it's just a metaphor for Japan's views on innate talent.

Fibble
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby Fibble » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:03 pm

^^^Could you possibly elaborate a little? I have heard that DR contains quite a bit of satire and social commentary on Japanese society, what's it all about?

Alice Twilight
Netherworld Marquis
Netherworld Marquis

Postby Alice Twilight » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:03 pm

Fibble wrote:The academy is a place where talent is nurtured. So, it stands to reason that if you attend there, whatever talent you possess can become even better than it already is.

Of course, you're right that the students' talents are probably already well-developed enough, but thinking about it logically, if there's a chance you could be better, and you have a free opportunity to become that, it only makes sense to go and cover all your bases, don't you think?

Plus, while you're there, you can learn how to become talented at other skills, in case you change your mind about the kind of career you want. (Remember how Mondo wanted to take up carpentry?)

Really though, this isn't supposed to be taken that seriously...

If there's room for improvement then they are not the best at what they do.
Katy Perry could have easily took Sayaka's place. I already said suspend your disbelief btw.

Fibble
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby Fibble » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:11 am

Alice Twilight wrote:If there's room for improvement then they are not the best at what they do.

Why is this necessarily true? I'm pretty sure a person could be more talented at something than everyone else while still being able to become a little better at it themselves. At least in theory.

Alice Twilight
Netherworld Marquis
Netherworld Marquis

Postby Alice Twilight » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:48 am

'cause if these guys are the super highschool level students who were hand picked for being the best at what they excel at then it just goes without saying.

All of students in Dangan Ronpa shouldn't even be there.
Togami's family is like the richest family in the world, he's going to take over regardless, what's he attending Hope's peak for?

Why did they pick both Yamada and Hifumi, the latter is clearly pointless

Why did they pick Asahina over the hundreds of gold medalists out there?

Why is Mukuro even attending school?

Why is Junko attending school? Was she the best model in Japan or the world?

I could go on, but you get my point.
The academy probably needed to fill in a few extra seats, that's why they picked these people.
Maybe I've forgotten how to have fun.

Labrys
Vassal
Vassal

Postby Labrys » Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:17 am

Alice Twilight wrote:Maybe I've forgotten how to have fun.

Sounds about right.

Akromatic
Vassal
Vassal

Postby Akromatic » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:39 am

Alice Twilight wrote:Togami's family is like the richest family in the world, he's going to take over regardless, what's he attending Hope's peak for?

Learning how to manage it.

Why did they pick both Yamada and Hifumi, the latter is clearly pointless

Improving art and writing skills.

Why did they pick Asahina over the hundreds of gold medalists out there?

Gold medalists aren't usually going into high school. She's probably done a lot to separate her from other swimmers her age, anyways, and she plays several other sports to keep up her physique.

Spoiler:
Why is Mukuro even attending school?

Well, it's school. Regardless of whether you've got talent, you have to be educated. That doesn't explain why she can't be taught at the base, though. Maybe she wanted to be with her sister more? Also, soldiers don't do exercises 24/7, and maybe there aren't any wars going on at the moment in the DR world.

Spoiler:
Why is Junko attending school? Was she the best model in Japan or the world?

She apparently has a lot of charisma and the power to influence people, even through photographs. I don't know what she could particularly improve on without someone who was even more talented at her age teaching her.

Kuzuryuu
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal

Postby Kuzuryuu » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:51 am

I'm gonna put some of my answer under the cut because it contains some pretty major spoilers for Danganronpa 2 but who knows maybe it'll answer your question somewhat

Well first we know that Hope's Peak Academy was not only a school but also a research facility for talent and that's what they picked each kid for. They found teenagers who were the absolute best at what they do and maybe they weren't the best of the best yet so at the school of course they would nurture their talents and become even better at what they already excel at.
Like now let's take an example of something you said like they could have picked a different idol to be the Ultimate Idol but they probably picked Sayaka because they saw she had the potential to be even better and when out of school be an idol that won't be disliked by anyone but loved by everyone.

And finally on the more unique and odd talents that were accepted in the school I'm gonna put under the cut because major Danganronpa 2 spoilers
Spoiler:
We know that not only was Hope's Peak Academy a school to nurture talent but also a research facility for researching talent and were trying to create the Ultimate Hope. So of course to do this they would have to see everything that the world has to offer and be able to research each of their students in detail. See how they live and act and what their talent offers them and how it could be implemented into the subject that became the Ultimate Hope. Thus why they had odder talents in the school like the Ultimate Gambler and things like that.
Last edited by Kuzuryuu on Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mirai
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby Mirai » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:48 am

The answer to this question is given across DR1, DR0 and SDR2 so if you still don't know the answer to this question after seeing all three, then all I can say is to go and replay/re-read DR's story again as you have either forgotten or weren't paying attention at these parts of the story.
"We've both been rejected by this world, we both feel the same threat. Yet here we are destined to kill each other in the end."

Alice Twilight
Netherworld Marquis
Netherworld Marquis

Postby Alice Twilight » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:50 pm

Played the first game many times though and got all that info.
Still doesn't explain why they don't just get the best of the best and go from there, you know, people who are the best at what they do from years of experience. I think it's bad writing personally.

inb4 trolling.
I like this series, you sillies, I think the story is rough around the edges.

burai97
Majin
Majin

Postby burai97 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:46 pm

Fibble wrote:^^^Could you possibly elaborate a little? I have heard that DR contains quite a bit of satire and social commentary on Japanese society, what's it all about?

I may be off base completely about this but i think some of the social satire is specifically aimed at japan's school system. in japan, they care desperately about uniformity in school and want the kids to act in at least a similar fashion as each other all the time. they don't particularly like people who act differently because they tend to be the ones who "act up". this entire thing is completely backwards in danganronpa where hope's peak wants to expose and nourish these talents and individual personalities as much as possible.

Fibble
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby Fibble » Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:03 am

burai97 wrote:I may be off base completely about this but i think some of the social satire is specifically aimed at japan's school system. in japan, they care desperately about uniformity in school and want the kids to act in at least a similar fashion as each other all the time. they don't particularly like people who act differently because they tend to be the ones who "act up". this entire thing is completely backwards in danganronpa where hope's peak wants to expose and nourish these talents and individual personalities as much as possible.

Hmm, well okay, thanks for trying to explain.

Dragonage2ftw
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby Dragonage2ftw » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:38 am

Alice Twilight wrote:Played the first game many times though and got all that info.
Still doesn't explain why they don't just get the best of the best and go from there, you know, people who are the best at what they do from years of experience. I think it's bad writing personally.

inb4 trolling.
I like this series, you sillies, I think the story is rough around the edges.

DR0 explained this better than I ever could.

Spoiler:
DR0 says that these students were chosen to be research subjects. The school wanted to see what makes them so talented.

These people are already the best of the best from years of experience. The point is that they could still do better.
Last edited by Dragonage2ftw on Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am a huge fan of DSP, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Dangan Ronpa, Persona, and many other things.

Return to “Danganronpa™ + Danganronpa™ 2”