Dangan Ronpa Stage Play (Spoilers for DR1)

The ultimate forum for the ultimate fans of the ultimate game series!
Mirai
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Dangan Ronpa Stage Play (Spoilers for DR1)

Postby Mirai » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:28 am

I'm sure a few of you were aware that there was a stage play of Dangan Ronpa that just finished a few days ago. For more details website is Here

Now personally I haven't seen the play myself, however there is someone who has they have kindly talked about what happened during the play and what changes were made to the story:

Quote below taken from this link: http://crocus29.tumblr.com/post/101733129216/update-dr-stage-play

30/10 I went with sis & fy-chan to watch the stage play at Nihon Seinenkan. We bought the tickets a bit late and they were almost sold out, but I was glad we could get 3 seats in a row and sit together ^^
When we got there, as expected, it was super crowded OAO

[Fy and I met in real for the first time here and she got me gifts and even drew me something QAQ! Meanwhile, I completely forgot about getting gifts and I still owe her a request… Omg Fy, thank you so much! I’ll definitely pay you back later! >A<„]

Either way, for the play, they stuck pretty close to the original storyline, but added and changed a few things.
One major change was the addition of a new rule:

'Whoever voted for the wrong person during the school trial will be executed.'

All the trials stayed the same as in the game/anime, but this new rule resulted in Ishimaru being executed along with Mondo in Mondo’s trial because he didn’t want to vote for Mondo (them being brothers).
This in turn resulted in Ishida not appearing and Celes’ case not happening.
Celes and Yamada are executed using the same rule during Sakura’s trial [They added new content in which Celes pretended that she killed Sakura to mislead everyone into voting for the wrong person.]
Personally, I think this new rule’s quite a good move to make the story shorter, considering the stage play itself already ran for almost 3 hours =u=

Thennn… Instead of giving everyone a special execution, the murderers are all executed using spears. The same way Mukuro is killed near the start of the story when she tried going against Monokuma.

One other major change is that in the ending, Naegi didn’t allow Junko to kill herself. So Junko lives. What happened to her afterwards is not told, though. The story ended when Naegi and the survivors (same as in the game/anime) opened the school’s doors :)

Well, this is the first time I’ve ever seen a professional stage play live and I think it was awesome! XDD Certainly a different feel from when you’re watching it on TV oAo!
The costumes and sets are done well and the movements/scene changes are executed beautifully. The actors are really good! ^^
The Monokuma dancers are a fun addition, too >:-D
[Uoo, made me wanna watch Butai Basara 4 which is being held at around this time too, but I didn’t get the tickets for that… >A<]

Well, all in all, it was a fun experience ^^
Ok, anyway, I’ll just write some of the Ishimaru & Mondo parts here (These parts are in the play but not in the game/anime). Looks like usable materials for drawing, so I’ll just note them down before I forget :p

1) Entering the Sauna scene, Mondo & Ishi bickering with each other:
Mondo: Your pants are too high!
Ishimaru: Your pants are too low!

2) When Mondo admitted that he was Chihiro’s murderer and accepted his fate, Ishi grabbed him by the collar and tried to stop him.
Mondo: (ready to die) I’ll need to tell aniki… That I’ve made a new brother.

3) Like in the game/anime, Ishi refuses to accept that Mondo is the murderer and didn’t vote for him, even though Mondo told him to.
So with the new rule, he’s executed along with Mondo (they died together). Their last words to each other:

Mondo: (surprised) Kyoudai… Why—?
Ishimaru: Aren’t we… brothers…?

So the most important changes in the play are:

1. Because of the new rule added in, Ishimaru was executed the same time as Oowada.
2. Because Ishimaru was executed, the entire Case of Chapter 3 is skipped out in the play.
3. This means that Celes and Yamada are involved in Chapter 4's case and are both executed for picking the wrong culprit.
4. Junko never executed herself and lives as Naegi refuses to let her die.

I suppose this was necessary to shorten the length of the story and since Case 3 was the weakest one for me personally as well as being the most filler of all chapters then its not so bad if they miss out this chapter.

However for me the biggest surprise was letting Junko live because for me this pretty much confirms that Kodaka (writer of DR) regrets killing off Junko (He wrote the script for the stage play as well.) at the end. Probably so that he could've continued using Junko as the big bad of DR. As I don't believe he ever thought DR would become as popular as it has.
"We've both been rejected by this world, we both feel the same threat. Yet here we are destined to kill each other in the end."

ZekeFreek
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Re: Dangan Ronpa Stage Play (Spoilers for DR1)

Postby ZekeFreek » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:23 am

I understand the reasons for said changes... except the last one, but it still kind of irks me.

I've never understood these stage plays anyway. They just seem silly to me.

I don't think Kodaka regrets killing off Junko though. Think of all the crazy shit that's happened as a result of her death and the influence she has even after death.

That's far more interesting than having her remain alive.
Follow me on Twitter, http://www.twitter.com/ZekeFreek
Click Below To Check Out My Original Web Novel Series! Million To One!
Listen me and some chums talk anime at https://www.youtube.com/user/Inuyashath ... ubeythe3rd

Mirai
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby Mirai » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:36 pm

ZekeFreek wrote:I understand the reasons for said changes... except the last one, but it still kind of irks me.

I've never understood these stage plays anyway. They just seem silly to me.

I don't think Kodaka regrets killing off Junko though. Think of all the crazy shit that's happened as a result of her death and the influence she has even after death.

That's far more interesting than having her remain alive.

Sorry for late reply but I've been pretty busy recently.

Yeah they have to make some changes to the story to shorten its length, after all I believe the stage play is 3 hours long, so they have to cover the entire story within that time.

I guess its just something the Japanese enjoy doing.

Perhaps since as you said Junko's death caused a lot of events and the series would of gone a different path if she was still alive, but if that's the case then why would Kodaka decide to keep her alive in the stage play? The only reasoning I can think of now is because it would of been too much effort to try and do Junko's execution on a stage and having her just impaled with spears wouldn't of been despair-inducing enough.
"We've both been rejected by this world, we both feel the same threat. Yet here we are destined to kill each other in the end."

ZekeFreek
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby ZekeFreek » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:46 am

The only reasoning I can think of now is because it would of been too much effort to try and do Junko's execution on a stage and having her just impaled with spears wouldn't of been despair-inducing enough.

Actually, I think that's probably it.

I don't think he regrets killing Junko off. I think what he *might* regret is not giving Naegi more of a reaction to it. It would be in-character for him to try and save the villian, but in the game proper he just says one line about how she doesn't have to go through with it and does nothing.

He might've also wanted to do something a little different since this isn't canon anyway. As a writer, I can understand that urge.

But I think the most probable reason is that he's making things easier for a potential play of the second game.
Follow me on Twitter, http://www.twitter.com/ZekeFreek
Click Below To Check Out My Original Web Novel Series! Million To One!
Listen me and some chums talk anime at https://www.youtube.com/user/Inuyashath ... ubeythe3rd

Return to “Danganronpa™ + Danganronpa™ 2”