So, what floats your boat?

A place for everybody to talk about anything game-related.
lopez
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

So, what floats your boat?

Postby lopez » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:32 pm

What is it about NISA games that you all love, that makes you continue to buy/play them?

For the NIS games, I mostly love the humor and the light-heartedness of the stories, even when they involve world domination or betrayals.

For the non NIS games like Gust, it's mostly the character artwork and soundtrack that make me a fan, I especially love the Ar Tonelico music. :D

odinfan
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Re: So, what floats your boat?

Postby odinfan » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:40 pm

Lol, this title sounds naughty.... :twisted:

Anyway, NISA always manages to know how to cater to the niche, so I guess the reason I've been a fan for so long is because they're pretty much the only source for the "strange and quirky titles". Every other company does only the mainstream stuff, which I've seen a bit too often.

lopez
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Postby lopez » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:47 pm

So what is it about the "quirky and strange title" that you like?

odinfan
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby odinfan » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:55 pm

Hmm, well, you know how it is... Everything I've played from them manages to have some new elements that I've never seen before in certain games(Song Magic in Ar Tonelico), or smaller titles that surprise me(Grim Grimoire), and they always have their excellent Disgaea series to look forward to(even though I've only played the second one).

perrandy
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby perrandy » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:13 pm

what i truly love about nisa games are their humor. i think thats one of the main attractions that ppl can find in their games.i also love the combat of most of the games. yeah turn based all the way baby!
and later, the types of games that they port such as ar tonelico and the atelier series...they are just to pretty to pass out ;)

Onislash
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby Onislash » Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:25 am

The humour. At the time of Disgaea 1 where I live there was no story/game like it. Many NIS games are pretty funny and entertaining to play. That should continue for me as long as Phantom Brave doesnt get a sequel (almost no humour and ********* ice stages)

Zoltor
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal

Postby Zoltor » Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:05 am

What I love about NIS(Nippon), is the complex, yet unique systems(from battle systems to char customization, and massive replay aspects ), and the awesome char concepts(from ability, to Voice acting, and scripting).

As for Gust, while I rather generally play any of the millions of traditional RPGs, and their Variants, Gust RPGs are a nice change of pace, and although Gust wont be likely to win the best RPG ever made award any time soon, Gust RPGs are still "very good" in most aspects(just different), better then most of the games other companies are coming out with these days.

magusgs
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby magusgs » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:09 pm

The ecchi! (Someone needed to say it)

To be honest, I'm mostly a Gust fan. I tried the first Disgaea, and I didn't really like the mechanics. I like quirky, but I don't like quirky. In other words, I like strange, bizarre, and humorous premises for a story that's told in a serious, mature fashion (e.g., Ar Tonelico). I'm not a huge fan of silliness as a major game theme (e.g., Disgaea). I also tend to shy away from child protagonists and games with very kiddish themes in general (Wild Arms 4...sigh).

And of course I like anime themes and art. But I'm sure that goes for most everyone here.
Sanahtlig's Corner: my personal blog focused on visual novels
Philosophical musings, argumentative squabbles, and fictional works. Also occasional rants about VN localization.

Wearekelra
New Vassal
New Vassal

Postby Wearekelra » Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:32 am

I love grueling games that punish you. Games that almost make you feel masochistic. Like Prinny: Can I Really Be the Hero?

I almost broke my PSP several times while playing that one.... But beating Etna was extremely satisfying ^_^

soundmonkey44
Netherworld Count
Netherworld Count

Postby soundmonkey44 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:30 pm

The Humor & The Characters (Disgaea just would'nt be Disgaea with out Etna & The prinnies!)

& the Fun stratgigic gameplay!

NISA currently makes the Best 2D games!
Fear Not The Darkness, Always Seek The Truth!

PerryComo
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby PerryComo » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:47 pm

A mysterious message coming from nowhere...

Barkslay Tim
Peon
Peon

Postby Barkslay Tim » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:13 am

soundmonkey44 wrote:The Humor & The Characters (Disgaea just would'nt be Disgaea check out Etna & The prinnies!)

& the Fun stratgigic gameplay!

NISA currently makes the Best 2D games!

Did you play it?
Last edited by Barkslay Tim on Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

PerryComo
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby PerryComo » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:31 am

Another mysterious message coming from nowhere...

Return to “General Chat”