Genre Wars

A place for everybody to talk about anything game-related.
lopez
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Genre Wars

Postby lopez » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:24 pm

What is your favorite gaming genre?

Which genre do you hate to play or dislike the most?

Strategy games are my fav. and either sports or shooters are my undesirables... I'll still play them, but they get old fast :?

odinfan
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Re: Genre Wars

Postby odinfan » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:25 pm

Role-playing games. Specifically Japanese ones. Big fan of Xenosaga.

A decent FPS wouldn't hurt either.

lopez
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Postby lopez » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:47 pm

Why is there a fascination for FPS in Western culture and RPG's in Eastern culture?

odinfan
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby odinfan » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:57 pm

Dude, I live in America, and I'm Chinese, what does that mean?

n1c3guy707
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal

Postby n1c3guy707 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:26 pm

I prefer Rpg's as well and I also live in America. :o
War's end but my soldiers are eternal.

odinfan
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby odinfan » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:33 pm

Yeah, this is a multicultural board, I don't see the need to stereotype.

lopez
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Postby lopez » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:40 pm

No harm intended, I just noticed that RPG's sell well over in Japan and FPS are almost non-existent there

where it's the opposite (besides niche japanophiles, and umm....nerdy...ummm RPG fans.... :? ) in America...... nevermind..... :roll:

Basically, the taste in games is "typical" different between Japan and America as a whole (for the most part, I know there's x, y and z, but I'm trying to ask a general question)

My question is why is there a trend like that between Western-type America vs. Eastern-type Japan? Is there a specific cultural reason? Or is it just a super coincidence? Or I'm a I just the biggest racist in the world? :roll:

odinfan
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby odinfan » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:43 pm

No, that plays in with the games that they play, that's all. If they prefer a different genre, as Japan goes for JRPGs, they're not going to like Western FPS as much, for good reason too.

lopez
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Postby lopez » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:21 pm

But why is that in your opinion? Why does each side have those particular preferences?

Why is DQ as big in Japan as Call of Duty is in America? I know people have preferences, but this is almost a country/cultural preference.

odinfan
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby odinfan » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:26 pm

I'm Chinese, living in America, and I play both, but people are usually attracted to their home country for nationalism reasons, I guess. You should be more proud of your country than another person's, correct?

It's all a self interest thing, no biggie.

CelticRedemption
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby CelticRedemption » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:53 am

I for one love RPGs, like the classical ones on the snes to sRPGs like Cross Edge, other than that i also love Action Adventure games like Zelda, platformers such as Mario, and the occasional beat-em-up or fighter game.
However i absolutely abhor FPS games, can't stand em. Apart from not caring much for wargames and shooting the crap out of everything i see, i can't stand the first person part of FPS the most.
I like being able to see my character and everything around it >.>
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
[20:25] <Solice> hey, sailor tenshi... blow or squirt?
[20:26] <Kana> ....what

XCronoX
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby XCronoX » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:55 am

RPGs are probably my go to genre, as for least favorite that would have to be rhythm games I don't see what the big deal is about them if I want to play guitar I'll play an actual one and if I want to dance I'll do the same.

odinfan
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby odinfan » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:01 am

I can understand dancing, as that can be generally fun. But Guitar Hero is too much for me.

kanicsproxy
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal

Postby kanicsproxy » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:57 am

lopez wrote:But why is that in your opinion? Why does each side have those particular preferences?

well im from canada and ive noticed a few ppl here influinced by the eastern anime and manga and rpgs(including my self) and i know some ppl who only play FPS.
and when i go down to PC Bang(local game/internet cafe) i see alot of ppl playing alot of diffrent games, mainly the Koreans play DOTA, and the kids play the FPS, and eveyone els there plays WoW or a mix of the other games...
but from my point of veiw and in my personal opinion i find that what games the ppl play are down to a few factors: MEDIA, education, friends, and how much of your life you have been playing videogames.
with media its what we see ... not just with game commercials but i mean EVERYTHING... in america (and even up here) were still stuck in this war...also the history of america was forged on the blood from tiny pieces of metal piercing many bodys and because alot of americans are patriotic they wanna have the chance to kill some of there nations enemy the only way they can. theres also the fact that a FPS takes verry lil time to learn because it is basicly point and click so it intrests women and young children.(but as time goes on they may become bored with FPS and start searching for more of a variety of games).

now with RPG's in america(and canada)
alot of ppl who see rpg's and run to the hill's because they think its going to be WAY to complex cuz they as a friend who's in to them and he/she will just start spitting numbers... and sadly the veiw with alot of ppl is that they just want instant gratification, for fps players there are games like oblivion and fall out that kinda bridge the gap but for the most part they find turn based rpg's to run to slow, so they loose patience and move on. but for the most part its almost like they have to learn something new. and it just doesnt work for them.and also most (including my lil bro) have absolutely NO intrest in the story line and just wanna get straight to the action

now even tho i have never lived anywhere in asia, and all i know is from videogames ,manga ,anime and living in vancouver for 2 years :roll: . i find that they have a more structured life style and education is a verry big part of there life. so to them there not afraid of the numbers and they find the story lines to actualy be quite entertaining (not saying americans dont want a good education, but its not the highest point on most's to do list[including in canada]) also a LARGE part of asian history is immersed in warfare with swords and spears and tactics so it kinda draws in to there social prefrence. i even heard that theres tv stations in korea that have starcraft tournaments.

lopez
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Postby lopez » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:39 pm

Thank you kanicsproxy, that was the kinda response I was going for.... not in the right or wrong way, but that you understand all the different factors that influence the games people play and how cultural events alter how people view things around them

I do agree that Americans tend go for things that lead to immediate gratification and are also very patriotic about their views of independence/individuality. Most of the hardcore American games tend to be very visceral and aggressive, where you get from point A to B and annihilate everything in your path.

I also agree on the importance of structure, the pursuit of knowledge and self-discipline in many Eastern cultures. This leads to games being very structured, where you need to patiently level-up your characters to achieve your goals (i.e. study diligently = successful career/life/family pility).

Return to “General Chat”