Genre Wars

A place for everybody to talk about anything game-related.
kanicsproxy
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal

Re: Genre Wars

Postby kanicsproxy » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:03 am

no problem lopez,took me like 30 mins to get it out but i think i covered the main points... but for the most part thats how it is... with a few exceptions :lol:

Zoltor
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal

Postby Zoltor » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:48 am

RPGs, and tactic games are my favorites(including most derivations
of such).

Onislash
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby Onislash » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:36 am

I prefer RPGs and all the variants. I hate racing and platformers. I liked shooters and sports a bit earlier in my life but they thrive on multiplayer action. My choices in that regard for players was me. Not great for multiplayer action. When I discovered Suikoden that lasted far longer than FIFA 96 (IIRC) and as such I started liking RPGs more.

Arctic
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby Arctic » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:12 am

RPGs are my favorite, followed closely by fighting games. My least favorite is shooting games.
I like the original goddesses in this order: Vert > Noire > Blanc.
Spoiler:
My least cared for is definitely Neptune. Sorry... >_>

magusgs
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby magusgs » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:50 pm

My favorite genre is RPGs, though I'm also into visual novels. I've played and liked both Western and Japanese RPGs in the past, although nowadays many WRPGs lacks elements I look for in an RPG (namely a strong, focused narrative, a party-based system, and extensive character interaction).

I do think there's very much a cultural difference in gaming between Americans and Japanese. One difference is their reason for gaming: I think many Americans look to games for a quick diversion (e.g., FPSs), while the Japanese are more likely to look for games that are more immersive and story-oriented (e.g., RPGs and visual novels). Likewise, Americans seem more focused on gripping gameplay, while the Japanese seem more interested in a good story. Second, the two cultures seem to appreciate different game structures: Japanese games often have a linear story structure, which allows a focused narrative to be told (e.g., Final Fantasy games); while Americans seem to prefer a more open-ended, "sandbox" style of game that allows for free exploration and a very open-ended approach to overcoming obstacles (e.g., Grand Theft Auto, Oblivion).

I think the visual novel market very much serves as a model for cultural differences in gaming. Visual novels, with their focus on story, are very big in Japan. Americans however tend to criticize games with large amounts of text or dialogue, and chafe when they feel a game is "pigeon-holing" them into a scenario or course of action--and these preferences are reflected by the small market for visual novels in the US. I often hear this opinion from Americans: "Games should be about gameplay above all. If I want a good story, I'll go read a book. Story in games is usually subpar anyway, so a game is usually better without story getting in the way." (Note that I often hear the same line in reverse from visual novel players :P)
Sanahtlig's Corner: my personal blog focused on visual novels
Philosophical musings, argumentative squabbles, and fictional works. Also occasional rants about VN localization.

PerryComo
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby PerryComo » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:52 pm

A mysterious message coming from nowhere...

davrick
New Vassal
New Vassal

Postby davrick » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:26 pm

I like RPG's because I enjoy the story and gameplay.

PerryComo
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby PerryComo » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:55 am

Another mysterious message coming from nowhere...

Return to “General Chat”