Mighty No.9 Out Now!!!

A place for everybody to talk about anything game-related.
Ultimate_Nova_X
Netherworld Marquis
Netherworld Marquis

Re: Mighty No.9 - Q1 2016

Postby Ultimate_Nova_X » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:43 pm

Alantor2013 wrote:
Ultimate_Nova_X wrote:Played it at Taipei Game Show yesterday.

Cool, how was it?

I can't explain things well but probably the biggest difference from Rockman is that you need to integrate dash as a finisher in your attacks. Relying on your buster only is way too slow and will likely get you killed eventually.

A trial is only 10 minutes so I couldn't really get into it (was stopped before I could finish a non-intro stage).

Alantor2013
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby Alantor2013 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:58 pm

I see. Well, I didn't back the game because of obvious reasons, but I am looking forward to this game once they fix the errors in it. It's sad really, those fools at Protodude's Rockman Corner are out for Inafune's blood. I feel sorry for Inafune and miffed at those who are bad mouthing him for his bad but redeemable business methods. CATGUN is even worse than Etna_Uchiha (Sorry for mentioning him since he was banned for his bad behavior.).
Asuna from Sword Art Online is actually hot! :P
Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth IS
Record of Agarest War: Xover Edition

lopez
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Postby lopez » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:09 pm

The dash function seems interesting, but also tedious at the same time. It'll make speedruns more interesting, but I can't shake the feeling that it'll make the gameplay feel more rushed.

Alice Twilight
Netherworld Marquis
Netherworld Marquis

Postby Alice Twilight » Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:19 am

I've had a chance to play the full game of Mighty No. 9 that got leaked and have been posting my experience on Capcom Unity.
The most offensive thing about this game is the graphics not really looking like a $4million dollar game and the level design just being pretty boring.
My favorite Mighty no is Aviator for sure

Here's some screenshots spoiler tagged if you don't want visual spoilers

title screen with steam overlay as proof
Spoiler:

My save file
Spoiler:

Stage select
Spoiler:

Countershade's stage this is the worst level in the game, it's a corridor
Spoiler:

Can ask any questions if curious, wont say how I got it though.

lopez
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Postby lopez » Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:18 pm

$4 million would be akin to a low-budget game in today's non-indie game development market.

Keiji could have mislead people with his comments about the final product looking like the concept art, but the game is reflective of the ~$4 mil investment. People shouldn't go in expecting a Star Citizen quality product.

Alice Twilight
Netherworld Marquis
Netherworld Marquis

Postby Alice Twilight » Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:24 pm

No one was expecting it to look like the concept art, it's called concept art for a reason
but considering the game looked better here, with place holder graphics
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UXDiQrgI6M
it initially had a budget of $900,000 /w planned features that had to be cut even with $4 million dollars and let's not forget the visual downgrade here
Spoiler:

I think people have a right to be annoyed that it doesn't look like what they invested money into.

You also know your game is bad when Sonic The Hedgehog's twitter makes fun at your trailer and even Pizza company chimes in on it.
Spoiler:

lopez
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Postby lopez » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:53 pm

People have the right to their opinions, but they're complaining based on personal expectations.

Games are always changing based on time, resources, manpower, deadlines, budget, etc... It's understandable if $4 mil is not enough to make a more polished product. IIRC Koji said that Bloodstained's kickstarter funding (~$1-2 million) was only a minor fraction of the required budget to produce the game (and there's no guarantee that it'd look as beautiful as backers would expect).

Overall, Mighty does look/play like the $4 mil it got in investments. Whethers that's what fans want is another issue all together.

Ringwraith
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Ringwraith » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:53 pm

But also blatently mis-managed to look highly suspect.
It became a joke, then comes up with some of the worst marketing lines when it's actually due to finally release, ruining any credibility it actually had left.
<SaturnineTenshi> and we can play with solice because he likes it
<Solice> i hear it's better than playing with myself

<Solice> celtic had a hard time getting his ball out?
<Kana> oh man, you have no idea

shadowmaksim
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby shadowmaksim » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:28 pm

As someone who doesn't have any stakes in the game (I didn't back it nor do I plan to get it), the only problematic thing I've noticed is that the PR department has been gloriously doing a terrible job: issue after issue with some members of the staff, the pretty bad Masterclass trailer by Deep Silver, the constant delays (while at least understandable), and so on. I can't exactly blame anyone for being put off like that.

Not to mention there was a somewhat recent interview with Inafune and the main problem I got from it is that he's being way too ambitious with turning "MN9" into an entire franchise. The game's not even out yet and he's stated that there are already plans for a TV show and a live-action movie along with possible discussions for a sequel.

This is probably just my pessimism talking but that's usually not a good sign for a series. Successful franchises more often than not tend to usually be unplanned. They get popular first and that popularity then warrants more entries (and merchandise) to be added on. Sure, you can go in trying to force a franchise to be successful but you'd need a marketing budget that's far greater than what Inafune seems to have.

The fact alone that when backers were asked what system of the game they wanted so that they could get that version, there was a huge number of people who never responded back. That's something I found to be rather troubling. In the recent update, it was stated that 83% actually responded back, meaning around 17% didn't. Considering that it's listed that there are roughly 65,000 backers who qualified for it ($20 minimum), that means around 11k people never responded back. I don't know about the whole picture, not to mention these numbers could be wrong or representative of the general consumer interest, but that seems to be quite the significant amount of lost interest right there.

I do hope the game is at least remotely successful. Otherwise, all this focus on making it into a franchise is really going to hurt in the long term.

Rednal
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Rednal » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:53 pm

In fairness, I think that response rate is actually kind of normal for Kickstarter. I've backed multiple other campaigns, and quite a few of them have cited numbers in the 70%-90% range for backer responses (usually as part of an update reminding people to do it - campaigns usually send several messages reminding people to do so, and are very clear that it needs to be done by a certain time). Honestly, 83% is probably a bit higher than usual. :lol:
PSN: LordRednal / Twitter: @Rednal29 ] Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/rednal29

shadowmaksim
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby shadowmaksim » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:45 pm

I was mostly using the 83% to put focus on the amount of backers more than the actual percentage itself (it is stil considered to be one of the most backed projects if I remember correctly) but fair enough. I did mention that I mostly lacked the right context to put it all together with.

Either way, point was that the game definitely hasn't had the smoothest developmental period and that it'll still have some boundaries to overcome before being able to become a proper franchise which seems to be Inafune's goal.

Alice Twilight
Netherworld Marquis
Netherworld Marquis

Postby Alice Twilight » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:05 pm

lopez wrote:
Overall, Mighty does look/play like the $4 mil it got in investments. Whethers that's what fans want is another issue all together.

It really doesn't. Even if this game was made for 3DS in mind too it still looks rubbish compared to Resident Evil Revelations.
Dragons Crown looks fantastic for a game with a $1 million dollar budget.

Anyway, Mighty No. 9 is out and its getting slammed by critics. Having played it before release I knew it'd be getting mediocre scores because that's what it is a mediocre game made out of spite and not love.

Rednal
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Rednal » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:17 am

*Tosses popcorn into mouth*

Well, I'm actually enjoying the game, myself - it's basically what I expected the game to be like when I first backed it, and since my expectations were met, I'm satisfied. Honestly, I feel like some of the complaining is just people jumping on the bandwagon after the - admittedly rather ridiculous - delays and poor communication. But the actual game, judged as neutrally as I can, seems fine. :lol: Ah, well. I'm usually the odd guy out when it comes to opinions anyway, so I'm not really expecting to make a difference at this point.
PSN: LordRednal / Twitter: @Rednal29 ] Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/rednal29

lopez
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Postby lopez » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:13 pm

So, how is the game? I'm not hearing too many good things... :?

Ringwraith
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Ringwraith » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:37 pm

I've heard mediocre at best, it's trying to capture the Megaman games without realising what made them good in the first place, so it's mostly confused and very sloppily executed. (Like including limited lives for pretty much no reason).
Doesn't really do anything a great deal interesting either from what I've heard.
<SaturnineTenshi> and we can play with solice because he likes it
<Solice> i hear it's better than playing with myself

<Solice> celtic had a hard time getting his ball out?
<Kana> oh man, you have no idea

Return to “General Chat”