Why are Japanese games so expensive in general?

A place for everybody to talk about anything game-related.
odinfan
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Why are Japanese games so expensive in general?

Postby odinfan » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:25 pm

Looking at prices for certain games, it really scares me that they'd normally pay around 8000 yen(almost $90/60 euros)for each title. Japanese special editions are even more pricey. Our games don't usually go that high, capping off at $60 at the most, rarely going into the $70 range.

Would they be making more than we do, or are they just willing to pay more?

Zoltor
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal

Re: Why are Japanese games so expensive in general?

Postby Zoltor » Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:57 am

odinfan wrote:Looking at prices for certain games, it really scares me that they'd normally pay around 8000 yen(almost $90/60 euros)for each title. Japanese special editions are even more pricey. Our games don't usually go that high, capping off at $60 at the most, rarely going into the $70 range.

Would they be making more than we do, or are they just willing to pay more?

I don't know why their games are more expensive.

However their job situation is a hell of alot better off then in the US(Japan as a nation actually works, opposed to the epic fail that is the USA).

Now companies in Japan, think as what's best for the company as a "whole", not what's best for the few people on top(aka thus meaning they don't screw their workers to increase profit), so one can imagine that to increase profit, they just sell the games for a bit more.

This Isn't much of a problem though, since they are actually getting paid decent wages(but then again, food is also expensive, so don't get me wrong, I'm not implying everyone in Japan is rich, but compared to the people in the USA, with the scamming Jobs, insanely priced housing, they might as well be,

PS. Now I don't know if this is true, but I have heard nightmare stories that licensing a game in Japan costs an insane amount of money as well, so if that's true, that may be another reason as well.

magusgs
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby magusgs » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:21 pm

From what I hear, the average Japanese person has more disposable income available for things like gaming than your average American. Their games are expensive, but so is everything else--heating, food, gas, living space, etc. Since the cost of living is so high, I imagine they also get paid more (the end result ironically being more disposable income). Also, many Japanese probably don't have cars. That limits the places they can go to (to spend money), as well as frees up a good bit of income (not spent on car payments, car insurance or gas) for things they can do at home (like gaming).
Sanahtlig's Corner: my personal blog focused on visual novels
Philosophical musings, argumentative squabbles, and fictional works. Also occasional rants about VN localization.

Zoltor
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal

Postby Zoltor » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:35 pm

magusgs wrote:From what I hear, the average Japanese person has more disposable income available for things like gaming than your average American. Their games are expensive, but so is everything else--heating, food, gas, living space, etc. Since the cost of living is so high, I imagine they also get paid more (the end result ironically being more disposable income). Also, many Japanese probably don't have cars. That limits the places they can go to (to spend money), as well as frees up a good bit of income (not spent on car payments, car insurance or gas) for things they can do at home (like gaming).

Yea good point, I forgot about the car thing as well.

PerryComo
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby PerryComo » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:53 pm

A mysterious message coming from nowhere...

TZODnmr
Peon
Peon

Postby TZODnmr » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:44 am

Back in MY day we had to pay $80-$100 USD for SNES/Genesis games and only got 1-2 JRPGs every 6 months to a year, if we were lucky!

Great that I have my very own "in my day" stories!

PerryComo
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby PerryComo » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:01 pm

Another mysterious message coming from nowhere...

davrick
New Vassal
New Vassal

Postby davrick » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:06 am

In Japan, entertainment isn't cheap in general including those video games.

PerryComo
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby PerryComo » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:58 am

Another mysterious message coming from nowhere...

Return to “General Chat”