2010 = year of the RPG for PS3

A place for everybody to talk about anything game-related.
XCronoX
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Re: 2010 = year of the RPG for PS3

Postby XCronoX » Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:27 am

Yup but the PS3 needs them the most, it has a lot of catching up to do to be the RPG powerhouse that the PS2 is/was.

Wearekelra
New Vassal
New Vassal

Postby Wearekelra » Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:23 am

Niche developers in Japan, like NIS and Atlus, still seem to favor the Sony and Nintendo platforms, and I'm hoping it stays that way... So long as NIS and Atlus stay true, I'll be happy.

Anyone know how well Tales of Vesperia sold on the XBox in America? I hear the week it hit PS3 in Japan it outsold the XBox version for the entire year it had been out. But if it saw lackluster sales here, that may hurt it's chances, unless Namco thinks it will sell well on the PS3 over here like it did in Japan.

Ajikage
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby Ajikage » Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:23 pm

n1c3guy707 wrote:
XCronoX wrote:A complete list for all systems.
RPGs of 2010

Man 2010 is surely the year for rpg's in general, not just for the ps3. :lol:

It's about time some RPGs came out.

Hmm... I want to check out Fragile. What I've seen so far looked good. (Well, not the battling, but the rest; swinging that stick or whatever around looked pretty stupid.) It might be fun to take another shot at a game with a horror theme.

I definitely want Sakura Wars, but I'm really upset I can't get the premium edition. Hopefully I can survive through hearing that hillbilly voice.

Arc Rise Fantasia... Maybe. I heard it's made by the people who made the Luminous Arc games, and both of those stories I consider poorly written and flawed. Hopefully this will be different.

I'd want FFXIII if I had a PS3. Maybe FFXIV as well. I sure as heck can't use my piece-of-trash computer for that. By the way, they're accepting beta applications for the PC right now, so check that out if you're interested. PS3 beta tests will occur at a later date. http://entry.ffxiv.com/
FFXI is SE's first MMO, which in my opinion is the best out (in MMO terms--which basically suck compared to real games), except it has certain flaws which screw it over--namely always having to rely on parties, which take too much time to get. Actually, there are a whole load of things in FFXI which take way more time than they should, so the main problem is that too much time gets invested for minimal reward. I quit some time back, but I bet this is still the case. I believe I heard in an interview that SE's second MMORPG, FFXIV, was being built based on all the feedback with FFXI. If FFXIV doesn't turn out to be the best MMO soon after release, I'll be pretty surprised.

I'll also probably look into Lunar and Mimana Iyar Chronicle. Hmm... Maybe even Valkyria Chronicles 2, since it's on PSP. I haven't played the first, though...

XCronoX wrote:That's how the Star Ocean games are, weak story but great gameplay no one plays Star Ocean for the story.

I have the Star Ocean remake on the PSP. I think the gameplay absolutely sucks. It's so bad that I quit playing somewhere around 1-3 hours in. I can't stand it!
odinfan wrote:Aji happened to have been my first real friend here on these forums . . . He was a pain in the ***, but to be fair, he also had a quirky quality about him that I liked . . . I'll miss the guy.

odinfan
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby odinfan » Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:28 pm

I'd rather have SE stick with what they're good at, making single player Final Fantasies and leave the MMO style to the Koreans. I don't think its really suited to that sort of play, but that might be because I'm not that big of a fan of FF anyway, lol. Just one opinion, that I don't think many agree with....

Wearekelra
New Vassal
New Vassal

Postby Wearekelra » Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:35 pm

odinfan wrote:I'd rather have SE stick with what they're good at, making single player Final Fantasies and leave the MMO style to the Koreans. I don't think its really suited to that sort of play, but that might be because I'm not that big of a fan of FF anyway, lol. Just one opinion, that I don't think many agree with....

Final Fantasy, in my opinion, has been a joke since X. The last great game in the series was IX, and one of my favorites. While many great things happened on the PS2, Final Fantasy was not one of them.

Unfortunately, the original creator, Hironobu Sakaguchi, is developing for XBox right now... Anyone played Lost Odyssey? That game is easily one of the greatest RPGs, and probably the only reason I would ever buy a 360 again...

I would like to see Square Enix delve into MMO's, but not in the Final Fantasy name. They use that title nowadays for it's star power, it seems...

Sorry, bitter much over here -_-

magusgs
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby magusgs » Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:00 am

Wearekelra wrote:Anyone know how well Tales of Vesperia sold on the XBox in America? I hear the week it hit PS3 in Japan it outsold the XBox version for the entire year it had been out. But if it saw lackluster sales here, that may hurt it's chances, unless Namco thinks it will sell well on the PS3 over here like it did in Japan.

The PS3 install base in Japan is much larger than the Xbox 360. The reverse is true in the US. So it would make sense that the PS3 version of Vesperia would do better in Japan.

Ajikage wrote:I'd want FFXIII if I had a PS3.

FF13 is going to be multiplaform, isn't it?

FFXI is SE's first MMO, which in my opinion is the best out

I think it's pretty clear that WoW dominates the MMO market. I've played both FF11 and WoW extensively (two used-to-be level capped character/jobs in each)--WoW is newer, and it definitely improved on the Everquest formula that FF11 was based on. That said, I'm tired of both games now, and I'm looking forward to FF14.

I would like to see Square Enix delve into MMO's, but not in the Final Fantasy name.

It doesn't really matter what they call it...though it does confuse people that don't realize it's an MMO, and therefore inherently different from every other game in the series. But if you're an informed fan, that really shouldn't matter.
Sanahtlig's Corner: my personal blog focused on visual novels
Philosophical musings, argumentative squabbles, and fictional works. Also occasional rants about VN localization.

Derid
Majin
Majin

Postby Derid » Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:10 am

Uhg FF14.... I *might play that*

But honestly I am sick of MMO games in general myself. Chances of me playing a pure grind MMO again are slim to none. I couldnt even bring myself to cap Aion, and the PvP there is decent. Hopefully FF14 does something good for the MMO scene, but that seems unlikely to me anyhow.

I am looking forward to all the upcoming RPG this year though for sure.

Ajikage
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby Ajikage » Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:49 pm

magusgs wrote:
Ajikage wrote:I'd want FFXIII if I had a PS3.

FF13 is going to be multiplaform, isn't it?

Hm... I just checked. It's also on the 360.
I've read about problems with that console, though, and I don't want a part of that.

magusgs wrote:
FFXI is SE's first MMO, which in my opinion is the best out

I think it's pretty clear that WoW dominates the MMO market. I've played both FF11 and WoW extensively (two used-to-be level capped character/jobs in each)--WoW is newer, and it definitely improved on the Everquest formula that FF11 was based on. That said, I'm tired of both games now, and I'm looking forward to FF14.

I won't argue about which one brings in more money. I'm just saying FFXI was more to my liking. I quit the WoW trial at the get-go because the characters were just too unattractive.

But I can't stand even FFXI now. Well, actually I quit a long time ago.
I'm really hoping 14 does it right. (If that's possible with MMOs...)
odinfan wrote:Aji happened to have been my first real friend here on these forums . . . He was a pain in the ***, but to be fair, he also had a quirky quality about him that I liked . . . I'll miss the guy.

magusgs
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby magusgs » Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:02 pm

Ajikage wrote:I quit the WoW trial at the get-go because the characters were just too unattractive.

I'll agree somewhat. The blood elves are nice though (I <3 elves; don't get me started on the night elves...). I ended up choosing a human female for my first character because the males were so fugly.
Sanahtlig's Corner: my personal blog focused on visual novels
Philosophical musings, argumentative squabbles, and fictional works. Also occasional rants about VN localization.

PerryComo
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby PerryComo » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:16 pm

A mysterious message coming from nowhere...

Return to “General Chat”