Fire Emblem Series: Fates (3DS) - 20/5/16 (EU)

A place for everybody to talk about anything game-related.
Ringwraith
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Re: Fire Emblem Series: Fates (3DS) - 2/19/16 (NA)

Postby Ringwraith » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:55 am

If you tried to abuse the SpotPass team battles in Awakening on Lunatic, you'd run into a similar thing of getting no experience. Also you'd get rapidly reduced experience if you tried to do the 'enemy unit trapped on a self-healing fort tile' trick until you were gaining practically nothing and just wasting your weapons.

Speaking of Lunatic anti-abuse measures, in Fates on Lunatic (any of them): all character level-ups are generated as soon as you recruit the character. Reloading a save to try and get better level-ups won't work (unless they join on that battle).
<SaturnineTenshi> and we can play with solice because he likes it
<Solice> i hear it's better than playing with myself

<Solice> celtic had a hard time getting his ball out?
<Kana> oh man, you have no idea

Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Seventh » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:11 am

I wonder why they let you get Exp from it in Birthright then?

I mean it's not like you don't have alternatives anyway.

Ringwraith
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Ringwraith » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:16 am

As Birthright has repeatable battles anyway, so you can grind anyway.
Conquest deliberately does not have any repeatable maps, to limit the amount of experience, so any outside methods are also disabled.

lopez
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Re: Fire Emblem Series: Fates (3DS) - 20/5/16 (EU)

Postby lopez » Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:43 pm

lopez
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Postby lopez » Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:28 pm

Fates sells ~400,000 in NA, triple Awakening's 1st month sales

The fact that this game got way more advertising than any title in the series, 4 different ways to purchase the game and the huge post-Awakening crowd, all makes its success a no-brainer.

Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Seventh » Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:52 pm

lopez wrote:Fates sells ~400,000 in NA, triple Awakening's 1st month sales

The fact that this game got way more advertising than any title in the series, 4 different ways to purchase the game and the huge post-Awakening crowd, all makes its success a no-brainer.

Maybe come Smash 5 complaints will instead be not enough FE characters got added? ;)

lopez
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Postby lopez » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:02 am

They still have 4-5 titles to pull characters from :shock: and they haven't even touched the central antagonists :shock:

Ringwraith
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Ringwraith » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:44 am

They're not often as remembered.
Lucina was one of the most popular characters from Awakening, and mostly a moveset clone (although apparently diverged somewhat since then), and Robin let them do something different, both in terms of visual and fighting design.
Corrin just let them put a dragon in.

Alantor2013
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby Alantor2013 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:55 pm

Oh man, I can't seem to find physical copies of either Birthright or Conquest on Gamestop. Have both versions sell out that fast? And when will they restock on those two versions? Those two along with the third version must be the biggest selling FE game ever. T_T
Asuna from Sword Art Online is actually hot! :P
Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth IS
Record of Agarest War: Xover Edition

Ringwraith
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Ringwraith » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:01 pm

Well, also because some people didn't realise there was a digital discount if you buy one and want the other.
Then there were the people who did know that but want physical versions of both and don't mind paying extra for the privilege of swapping cards.

lopez
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Postby lopez » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:55 am

Ringwraith wrote:They're not often as remembered.
Lucina was one of the most popular characters from Awakening, and mostly a moveset clone (although apparently diverged somewhat since then), and Robin let them do something different, both in terms of visual and fighting design.
Corrin just let them put a dragon in.

Smash is an advertising agent, be it the direct approach or a more insidious style. Melee alone was the main reason we got Fire Emblem in the West at all. I'm sure Ninty can help shape the success of their various titles via the inclusion of characters, stages and/or trophies, I mean look at the recent Corrin (before Fates dropped in the West) & Bayonetta (before they did the reprint) reveals.

Ringwraith wrote:Well, also because some people didn't realise there was a digital discount if you buy one and want the other.
Then there were the people who did know that but want physical versions of both and don't mind paying extra for the privilege of swapping cards.

It's pretty hard NOT to know about these games due to Ninty's strong marketing campaign. TV spots, numerous trailers, documentaries, reviewer videos, websites ads, etc...
Ultimately, the "shortage" issues were probably due to Ninty not meeting demand, as per usual.

Also, from all my streetpassing, Ninty's sale news and online chatter, it seems like Birthright alone was the breakout leader.

Ringwraith
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Ringwraith » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:29 pm

lopez wrote:Smash is an advertising agent, be it the direct approach or a more insidious style. Melee alone was the main reason we got Fire Emblem in the West at all. I'm sure Ninty can help shape the success of their various titles via the inclusion of characters, stages and/or trophies, I mean look at the recent Corrin (before Fates dropped in the West) & Bayonetta (before they did the reprint) reveals.

I really don't think they included a character purely to advertise upcoming games elsewhere in the world when they're already out in Japan.
That's not how these things work. Also the amount of work to put into a new character, they are not cheap. It's not even like Corrin's a moveset clone (sharing one ability with other Fire Emblem representatives). If they were doing a cheap advert, they'd do a Miifighter costume, like they normally do.

Also Bayonetta was because she was voted in their popularity poll, feasible to do, and they were up for making her a character (as Nintendo was very much behind getting Bayonetta 2 made).

lopez wrote:It's pretty hard NOT to know about these games due to Ninty's strong marketing campaign. TV spots, numerous trailers, documentaries, reviewer videos, websites ads, etc...
Ultimately, the "shortage" issues were probably due to Ninty not meeting demand, as per usual.

Also, from all my streetpassing, Ninty's sale news and online chatter, it seems like Birthright alone was the breakout leader.

Though that marketing campaign doesn't mention the digital DLC discount or such in every single piece, and most people who buy games aren't incredibly up-to date on everything about a game. Most people hear about something, maybe do a little bit of opinion searching research, then go and buy it.

Of course, shortages are still very much what Nintendo ends up doing fairly often, and it happens so much you'd think it's deliberate. Though people buying up copies oddly regardless doesn't help matters.
Also scalpers, because Nintendo hasn't yet learned they earn nothing from that group instead of just making some more copies. The pretty-much-still-ongoing amiibo farce has made that one pretty clear.

Alantor2013
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby Alantor2013 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:45 pm

So... They are gonna restock more physical copies of Birthright and Conquest soon? I really wanted to try out Birthright first before I purchase Conquest and Revelations.
Asuna from Sword Art Online is actually hot! :P
Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth IS
Record of Agarest War: Xover Edition

Shikan Raider
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Shikan Raider » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:36 am

Some new DLC got released/will be released for the JP version, figured I'd drop this info for those who are interested.

Anna's Gift 2 - March 4th 2016 (Free)

Just a simple scene where you talk to Anna (again).

Rewards: Paragon scroll, Boots

Obtainable once per playthrough.

Recollection of Bubbles - March 16 and March 23th 2016 (1500 Yen)

A collection of 6 maps in total (that's why it costs so much) that focuses on the struggle the children have in the secluded realms. Your teams are fixed in these maps, your story progress does not influence that stats of enemies. You only control the children here. Think of them as challenge maps. Three maps were released on March 16th, three more will come out next week.

Difficulty: 3 Stars
Rewards:
Map 1: Skilltaker scroll, Lucktaker scroll
Map 2: Magictaker scroll
Map 3: Strengthtaker scroll
Map 4: Defensetaker scroll
Map 5: Speedtaker scroll, Resistancetaker scroll
Map 6: Proximity Shot scroll

Obtainable multiple times.

Hoshidan Festival of Bonds - March 16th 2016 (250 Yen)

The group visits Hoshido (in another world) to celebrate the children's growth. This of this like the scramble maps from awakening.

Difficulty: 1 Star
Rewards:
Special illustrations for: Deere, Foleo, Eponine and Ophelia (the 4 most popular child characters)
Parent-child conversations, Avatar-children conversations (changes if you're married to them)
Exalt's Brand - Allows a female unit to change into the Great Lord class

Nohrian Festival of Bonds - March 23th 2016 (250 Yen)

The group visits Nohr (in another world) to celebrate the ties between friends. Basically another scramble map.

Difficulty: 1 Star
Rewards:
Special illustrations for Leon, Marx, Camilla and Oboro (the 4 most popular 1st gen characters)
1st gen character conversations, including people who normally can't support each other
Hero's Brand - Allows a male unit to change into the Lodestar class

Edit: Updated the details on the Recollection of Bubbles Map-Pack as well as the Nohrian Festival of Bonds map, since they've been released.
Now Playing: Princess Evangile W Happiness (PC), D.S. -Dal Segno- (PC),
Omega Quintet (PS4), Senran Kagura Estival Versus (PS4)

lopez
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Postby lopez » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:35 pm

Ringwraith wrote:
lopez wrote:Smash is an advertising agent, be it the direct approach or a more insidious style. Melee alone was the main reason we got Fire Emblem in the West at all. I'm sure Ninty can help shape the success of their various titles via the inclusion of characters, stages and/or trophies, I mean look at the recent Corrin (before Fates dropped in the West) & Bayonetta (before they did the reprint) reveals.

I really don't think they included a character purely to advertise upcoming games elsewhere in the world when they're already out in Japan.
That's not how these things work. Also the amount of work to put into a new character, they are not cheap. It's not even like Corrin's a moveset clone (sharing one ability with other Fire Emblem representatives). If they were doing a cheap advert, they'd do a Miifighter costume, like they normally do.

Also Bayonetta was because she was voted in their popularity poll, feasible to do, and they were up for making her a character (as Nintendo was very much behind getting Bayonetta 2 made).

lopez wrote:It's pretty hard NOT to know about these games due to Ninty's strong marketing campaign. TV spots, numerous trailers, documentaries, reviewer videos, websites ads, etc...

Though that marketing campaign doesn't mention the digital DLC discount or such in every single piece, and most people who buy games aren't incredibly up-to date on everything about a game. Most people hear about something, maybe do a little bit of opinion searching research, then go and buy it.

Of course, shortages are still very much what Nintendo ends up doing fairly often, and it happens so much you'd think it's deliberate. Though people buying up copies oddly regardless doesn't help matters.
Also scalpers, because Nintendo hasn't yet learned they earn nothing from that group instead of just making some more copies. The pretty-much-still-ongoing amiibo farce has made that one pretty clear.

It doesn't necessarily have to be a new game. Ninty can benefit from reprints, Nintendo Selects and digital downloads, merch and more. Some people feel nostalgic, while others want to experience the "origin" games for certain characters. Adding characters/stages/trophies/etc... is and of itself an investment in advertising. It was smart to include Corrin since Fates was a huge success in Japan and it was going to drop in the West in the coming months. What better way to drum up sales than with a fresh new character from a hot new IP? Bayonetta 2 also got a reprint since Ninty realized consumer interest was high and they knew they could cash in.

Ultimately, Smash is less a game than a proverbial game of chess. It's like how Yokai Watch is more than just a Pokemon game clone.

Return to “General Chat”