Apparently Bioware doesn't think too highly of JRPGs.

A place for everybody to talk about anything game-related.
odinfan
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Apparently Bioware doesn't think too highly of JRPGs.

Postby odinfan » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:28 pm

http://www.destructoid.com/bioware-co-founder-jrpgs-suffer-from-lack-of-evolution--155782.phtml

While I'm a big fan of Mass Effect and their other games, I don't think they've evolved the genre either. Criticizing them is wrong in my eyes. ME had its fair share of flaws, I don't see why poking fun at another perspective in the genre helps in this case. That really lowers their reputation for me.

And honestly, don't you think Japan sees us in the same light?
Last edited by odinfan on Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Solice
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Re: Apparently Bioware doesn't think too highly of JRPGs.

Postby Solice » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:42 pm

I think part of that comment stems from the stereotype of those who mostly play games like Mass Effect vs. the stereotype of those who mostly JRPGs. Those who play JRPGs usually end up having to defend. The obvious exception is those who play a balanced set of games from both generes.

I think the other part is a catch 22 in the market. There haven't been nearly as many earth-shattering, genere-defining games released this half of the decade as the first half, and especially not for the PS3 (yet!). We'll get our time. We'll show them, but for now, lets let them enjoy their cake.

[Stream (Offline):] [Youtube]
Join the Unofficial NISA Chat! [IRC | Teamspeak]

magusgs
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby magusgs » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:34 pm

While I love Bioware's games, I don't think JRPGs have stagnated or become cookie cutter--it really just depends on what you're looking for. If you're looking for complex stats, nonlinearity, freedom of choice, and vast worlds to explore, that's always been the strength of the WRPG. The (potential) strength of JRPGs is in their storytelling and occasionally their innovative and/or crazy mechanics. You can have two games that use the same basic system, but it'll be the characters and story that truly differentiate them. Of course, there's plenty of JRPGs that lack an interesting story as well, but every genre has its share of games that aren't very good. One thing you can say for JRPGs is they often have a particular niche appeal that one group or another will just love--WRPGs tend to be made for the mainstream audience, and it shows. JRPGs are willing to go into themes that WRPGs wouldn't ever touch--just look at the Ar Tonelico series. WRPGs suffer from realism-itis, which limits the stories they can tell and the way they're told. WRPGs don't have moe.

WRPGs and JRPGs each have their own stengths. Popularity doesn't necessarily equal better. To some extent, JRPGs have changed less with the times--but why is that bad? The growing popularity of reality TV doesn't mean that all other television is obsolete. The growing popularity of realism in gaming doesn't mean that other less realistic styles are obsolete. As long as games entertain me with interesting gameplay and a solid story, I'll continue to play them, regardless of whether they're "evolving" or not.
Sanahtlig's Corner: my personal blog focused on visual novels
Philosophical musings, argumentative squabbles, and fictional works. Also occasional rants about VN localization.

odinfan
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby odinfan » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:26 pm

Yes, we honestly need more moe.....

On a serious note, you're right, WRPGs are oftentimes too realistic.... but I guess that also plays in with how our culture views these things. Sometimes I personally think we lack real imagination. The Japanese are not afraid to experiment, maybe that's their appeal for me.

Xixato
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal

Postby Xixato » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:39 pm

I dont think to high of wrpg...dragon age is always the same stuff ot ages ago...just play baldurs gate...bah...
I love jrpg just the way they are...

Makku
New Vassal
New Vassal

Postby Makku » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:03 pm

Both JRPGs and WRPGs haven't evolved much at all in the latest decade. I'd say WRPGs have evolved more, but that's only because JRPGs rely more on storytelling instead of gameplay, so it's unfair to compare.

Really, there isn't much any side can do to evolve more. However, if anything it's JRPGs that have the most potential to evolve, and that would be by becoming more like WRPGs.

I'm a fan of both sides, but I'm honestly starting to get tired of JRPGs lately, with a few exceptions.

lopez
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Postby lopez » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:59 pm

I think both sides need to keep making new innovations.

Lately though, I think many new JRPG's have been becoming a little too repetitive and predictable for their own good.

There still are great RPG's coming out on both sides, it just seems that both sides are afraid of being too radical. They would both rather focus on making minor improvements to something that has already proven to be successful.

If I was a Japanese RPG maker, I would take that statement, by Bioware, as constructive criticism. However, I don't know if I could find a publisher that would take a chance on my game, unless I was widely successful like FromSoftware (Demon Soul's).

ReinHime
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal

Postby ReinHime » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:48 pm

I can see how people who don't play JRPGs think they haven't evolved much. If all you do is see snipts of them that is how they come off. It is the same with WRPGs - just looking at the surface they don't look like they evolved very much. They people who play the genes regularly notice the evolution, but those who don't can't see it.
I also wonder if the evolution in JRPGs is less apparent because they produce more, so there is less change per title. Whereas WRPGs are fewer and far between, so they have time to make larger leaps at once.

Solice
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby Solice » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:58 am

I'm going to have to say that, at the very least, the Ar Tonelico series presents a type of evolution that I'd like to see either more often or more of the game series that showcases it. AT1 was probably the first game that gripped me since the old days of Chrono Trigger, which was all kinds of awesome at the time.

[Stream (Offline):] [Youtube]
Join the Unofficial NISA Chat! [IRC | Teamspeak]

odinfan
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby odinfan » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:19 am

Yes, the AT series definitely brought something innovative enough to the table. I hadn't really seen anything like it before then. I also really like how they've managed to evolve the games with new gameplay systems as well. Each entry in the series can be completely different from its predecessor. Sort of like how the Xenosaga series was.

magusgs
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby magusgs » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:08 pm

I want to see more games that play like an interactive anime. Definitely one of the draws of visual novels. Ar Tonelico 3 may be nearing that ideal as well--we'll see.
Sanahtlig's Corner: my personal blog focused on visual novels
Philosophical musings, argumentative squabbles, and fictional works. Also occasional rants about VN localization.

Sieghardt
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby Sieghardt » Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:21 pm

Bioware made a sonic the hedgehog RPG, they get no cake, only ridicule :p

odinfan
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby odinfan » Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:25 pm

Yes, Sonic doesn't deserve to be turned into an RPG.... Shame on them!

PerryComo
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby PerryComo » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:15 pm

A mysterious message coming from nowhere...

Return to “General Chat”