Indivisible - An Action-RPG from the Developers of Skullgirls

A place for everybody to talk about anything game-related.
Quillbell
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Indivisible - An Action-RPG from the Developers of Skullgirls

Postby Quillbell » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:55 pm

Trailer here

Indivisible is a metroidvania-style action-RPG from Lab Zero, the creators of Skullgirls. Right now they're crowdfunding part of its budget as per an agreement with the publisher, 505 Games. The deal is, if they manage to raise 1.5 million, then 505 will give them an additional 2 million as well as handling the marketing, QA, and localization.

Combat is in the style of Valkyrie Profile, and Lab Zero have made a free, playable prototype that gives you a good idea on what the gameplay is like. You can download it here on their indiegogo page. It's a lot of fun, and plays really well for something they made in a few months. It's better than a lot of full demos I've played.

The story follows Ajna, who discovers that she has the ability to fuse with special people called "Incarnations" (aka, your party members). There's 3 such characters in the prototype, but the full game will have tons, each with their own unique abilities. The story and world draws heavily on Southeast Asian mythology, which you can see in the character designs and environments.

Lab Zero have also got Hiroki Kikuta to compose the music. He's scored games such as The Secret of Mana and Koudelka.

They have a very detailed breakdown of where all the money's going, and what to expect in terms of stretch goals. They're aiming for a 2018 release date for PC, Mac, Linux, PS4, and Xbox One.

Prinny Supervisor
Demon Lord
Demon Lord

Re: Indivisible - An Action-RPG from the Developers of Skullgirls

Postby Prinny Supervisor » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:01 am

Game looks great, I hope it gets funded! I almost worked at Reverge Labs...
Mo' Money, Mo' Moe

Quillbell
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Quillbell » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:33 pm

Prinny Supervisor wrote:Game looks great, I hope it gets funded! I almost worked at Reverge Labs...

Oh that's so cool!

Been meaning to get into Skullgirls, but I've never been a huge fighting game person. I always thought that the way they animate their sprites was gorgeous, though, so I'm super excited about this project.

Daverost
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Daverost » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:57 pm

Pretty excited about this, but I don't know what I'll be doing about donating yet. Or if I will, since I'm sure they'll end up porting to consoles later. Just gonna feel out the campaign for a bit.
I never got my avatars.
Still holding my breath for the other Marl Kingdom games.

Quillbell
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Quillbell » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:01 am

Daverost wrote:Pretty excited about this, but I don't know what I'll be doing about donating yet. Or if I will, since I'm sure they'll end up porting to consoles later. Just gonna feel out the campaign for a bit.

Development's actually planned with consoles as well as PC in mind, so I doubt there'll be much difference in release times.

They've said no Vita or WiiU because they don't know where those consoles will be in two years when the game is done, and the Vita is particularly difficult to run their custom engine on.

Daverost
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Daverost » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:29 pm

I mean I'd put in if they said I could get a digital copy for a platform that wasn't PC.

But as is I'm either waiting on that or I'll just wait until it's out after the fact.

I may put in anyway if there's a compelling reason to.
I never got my avatars.

Quillbell
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Quillbell » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:04 pm

Daverost wrote:I mean I'd put in if they said I could get a digital copy for a platform that wasn't PC.

But as is I'm either waiting on that or I'll just wait until it's out after the fact.

I may put in anyway if there's a compelling reason to.

Well, they did say they'd be sending out surveys after they're funded for which platform you want your digital edition for. So you'd be able to put down PS4 or Xbox One rather than PC on that.

Also, if you're still on the fence, you should really try the prototype demo. It runs great even on my crappy laptop and it supports controllers.

Daverost
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Daverost » Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:53 am

Quillbell wrote:Well, they did say they'd be sending out surveys after they're funded for which platform you want your digital edition for. So you'd be able to put down PS4 or Xbox One rather than PC on that.

Source and/or list of supported platforms? None of that was up last time I looked at it.
I never got my avatars.

PringlesXD
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby PringlesXD » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:26 am

I'm really excited for this and I hope they will be able to secure funding. I'll donate what I can.

Skullgirls is one of my favorite fighting games, even though I pretty much suck at it. I'm glad to see they're working on something new and the Valkyrie Profile vibes I get from this makes it all the more interesting.

Quillbell
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Quillbell » Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:51 pm

Daverost wrote:Source and/or list of supported platforms? None of that was up last time I looked at it.

On the campaign page they have this:

Indivisible will be released on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Steam Windows / Mac / Linux. The final product will support the English, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Japanese and Russian languages.

And the description for the $60 tier says,

Get a everything above, a physical copy of the game on the platform of your choice, and your name in the credits!

The $30 tier gets you "the digital release of Indivisible", and since both PS4 and XBone support digital-only games I doubt it'd be any different from getting to choose your platform in the $60 tier.

I mean, if you want it from the horse's mouth you could always message the developers through indiegogo. They've been very responsive and helpful thus far.

Daverost
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Daverost » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:08 pm

Thanks.
I never got my avatars.

Quillbell
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Quillbell » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:22 am

Lab Zero have been revealing new incarnations (party members) at each 50k mark. Here are the first three:

Dhar

One of the Four Superiors under Supreme Lord Ravannavar's army, Dhar led campaigns across the land to subjugate any region that was not in support of Ravannavar's pro-Kala rule.

He came upon Ajna's village during these campaigns, but did not expect to become such an unusual prisoner of war.

Despite being Ajna's first Incarnation, he's not exactly the most supportive of friends. To say that they don't get along is a massive understatement. His own survival depends on hers now, however, even though her quest to challenge Lord Ravannavar is practically suicide, in his opinion.

Thorani

Thorani is a calm and caring celestial with a bit of a playful side. She enjoys living among humans, and hopes to bring joy to the citizens of Tai Krung City with her performances.

Being naturally gifted at channeling Iddhi, Thorani is able to conjure magical water into her hair. This water can cleanse people of their addiction to corrupted Soma, a dangerous drug spread by the kingpin Mara. Losing customers does not please Mara at all, and Thorani now finds herself caught in the drug lord's sights."

Vasco

"A former officer in the Iron Kingdom's army, Vasco was the best marksman in his unit and was feared throughout the battlefield. After being forced to waste his bullets on one too many defenseless citizens during the Iron Kingdom's northern campaign, Vasco left the military to pursue his two loves: his rifle and money.

Born with intuitive mechanical ingenuity, he has customized his personal firearm quite extensively and has tuned it beyond the limits of a regular gun. But maintaining his gear comes at a cost: Vasco has become a deadly gun-for-hire, taking on any mission - no matter how dirty - if it pays the right amount."
Last edited by Quillbell on Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Quillbell
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Quillbell » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:22 pm

More Indivisible stuff! Nearly at the 25% mark, and two more Incarnations have been revealed.

Kushi

"No one would have ever expected such a small and cheerful girl could be a master falconer at such a young age. But perhaps it is that cheerful personality that allowed her to befriend the otherwise stoic and intimidating roc Altun.

Together they are a formidable hunting team, but also use their skills to carry messages, give people rides, and even seek out lost travelers in the wild."

Narssus
Narssus was forced into serving a vile witch doctor. Kept in a persistent trance by a strange vodou powder, he was doomed to carry out the witch doctor's bidding until his body rots to dust.

With Ajna's help, Narssus manages to gain his freedom. He now lives in a state between life and death. The powder now keeps him from dying, but each use feeds a dark spirit that is slowly taking him over from within.

They've also been doing some really cool streams such as a lore Q&A with the developers and an "animation bootcamp" with lead art director Mariel Cartwright. Both can be found here on the indiegogo update page.

Jim Sterling also did a showcase of the prototype, which can be found here.

Porecomesis
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Porecomesis » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:36 pm

I saw the Game Grumps play the alpha or whatever it was called. Looked really pretty.

Quillbell
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Quillbell » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:12 pm

Porecomesis wrote:I saw the Game Grumps play the alpha or whatever it was called. Looked really pretty.

Yeah! I saw that one too. Had no idea there was an easter egg bonus boss.

EDIT: Wait, nevermind, it was the Two Best Friends Play one where they managed to find the bonus boss.

Nearly at 500k. They've also started posting expanded character info on some of the already-released incarnations. Here are the ones that have since been revealed.

Yan

"Considered an abomination, Yan was abandoned by her parents as a child and left to fend for herself on the streets of the capital. She adapted her own fighting style suited to her body to survive her harsh circumstances, and in doing so developed a profoundly natural flow and grace.

Her skills and potential were quickly noticed by the head of a popular ballet troupe, who took her in and raised her. Even with this good fortune, she was still not safe: some of the other dancers regarded her with disgust and more than a little jealousy. Keeping her spirits high, she rose above all of this to become the troupe's star performer.

One day, Yan learns her dance troupe is aligned with the revolutionary army, and are planning to assassinate the emperor of the Jade Dynasty. Yearning only to dance, Yan wants no part of this plot. Yet, fighting may be her only choice."

Naga Rider

Defender of the dharma and hero of Tai Krung City, the warrior of justice Naga Rider vanquishes evil with a swift and bold Naga Kick!

By day he is an ordinary civilian named Moggal, but at night he creates magical golden armor through the power of Iddhi to become the Naga Rider. He cruises the streets on his magical "Legless Mount," defeating any criminals who cross his path.

There are many unscrupulous characters in the seedy underbelly of Tai Krung City, but few as nefarious as the drug lord Mara. After Naga Rider's wife and child are killed as bystanders in a drug-related crime, he wages outright war on the kingpin.

Phoebe

"Phoebe is a warrior and protector of her village. Having fended off multiple attempts by the Iron Kingdom's forces to overtake her home, her strength is unmatched, and can fire full-length spears from her massive bow. She is a proud mother of three, raising them alongside her warrior husband before he lost his life on the battlefield.

In meeting Ajna, Phoebe finds that she must make a difficult choice: stay behind to protect her village, or leave it behind to fight a much greater threat, possibly never to return."

She shoots spears. I think she might be my favourite so far.

I also updated my previous post with the newly-revealed information about Dhar, Vasco, and Thorani. Interesting to see how some of the characters' stories are starting to intersect.

Return to “General Chat”