Interested in learning a little bit about localization?

A place for everybody to talk about anything game-related.
Prinny Supervisor
Demon Lord
Demon Lord

Interested in learning a little bit about localization?

Postby Prinny Supervisor » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:06 pm

Ahoy gang, for those of you who are particularly interested in language and localization, the youtube channel Crash Course Philosophy recently released two videos: Language and Meaning and Netflix & Chill. While not directly about localization, the topics covered in the video are the kinds of things that I as an editor think about on a daily basis!

They're neat little videos, and anyone who wants to get into localization/translation should understand these kinds of concepts! Check them out!
Mo' Money, Mo' Moe

Sleepyprinny99
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Re: Interested in learning a little bit about localization?

Postby Sleepyprinny99 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:11 pm

As someone who's studying linguistics presently, those were really, REALLY neat little vids that touched on some of what I've been studying already so that was cool.

In particular, I can see why the first video's topics would be relevant to an editor...heavy stuff.

Thanks for sharing!
(...Gotta work on those maxims though...ugh)

Prinny Supervisor
Demon Lord
Demon Lord

Postby Prinny Supervisor » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:05 am

Here's a video that Vox just put up that is also fascinating!
Mo' Money, Mo' Moe

Sleepyprinny99
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby Sleepyprinny99 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:24 pm

Prinny Supervisor wrote:Here's a video that Vox just put up that is also fascinating!

Pretty interesting video...and I can see why you posted it.

So, I've got a few questions for you, as an editor.

- How much leeway do you have in writing for projects vs input by the original authors of the work...like, is it case by case and is there alot of back and forth during the process?

- The video brought up a good point about language and nuance being difficult to preserve on things like culture and setting relevant wordplay...how do you, personally I suppose, negotiate that tightrope during localization?

I ask due to infamously craotastic examples like Atelier's Esty Dee name change and Ar Tonelico (specifically 2)'s piss poor handling...either in bad taste or in total regard of the game's constructed language and importance to setting(You probably didn't work on AR 2, but the case stands a pretty bad all the same).

- Do you feel it's more important to preserve the overall context opposed to the idea that the "literal" and/or "original" wording/characterizations is the appropriate ideology towards editing/writing?

I ask because so called "purity" over "relatability" is, or can be, a point of contention with fans...extended examples can be seen with wording conventions like in Danganronpa which favored "ultimate" over "ultra" which uand some censorship issues like redone art a la CG 2 which washed out the relevance of its BDSM aesthetic.

That's it for now, I suppose..and thanks again for sharing!

Return to “General Chat”