Your Most and Least Liked Games of 2016

A place for everybody to talk about anything game-related.
shadowmaksim
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Your Most and Least Liked Games of 2016

Postby shadowmaksim » Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:11 pm

It's that time of the year again to create another one of these. Even with so many users having left over the past year, I still want to do this. It's somewhat of a little tradition of sorts for me at this point.

So then, the topic on hand.
What games would you consider to be your favorite and least favorite that have released over the past year? And if you want, talk about why.

And once again, to clarify, imports and the localizations of games are also okay. So if a game, say, released in another country last year but was localized this year, it's fine to talk about either one. I don't mean to be too restrictive since a bunch of people here play games from different regions so it's okay to be a little general.

EDIT: And finally, agree or disagree, please at least respect the choices and the opinions of others. Everyone has their own standards and sets of preferences, no need to start a flame war over them.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Most Liked: "Final Fantasy 15" for the PS4

I'm actually kind of surprised that this is the game I'm considering my favorite of the year. I ended up enjoying the game a lot more than I thought I would.

The game definitely has plenty of problems. The gameplay does get somewhat finicky at times, the story has pacing issues (not to mention needs more fleshing out of some aspects), and it suffers from many of the open world pitfalls...but I really enjoyed the time I spend on this game.

I found the combat to be very fun, the story (even with the issues it has) I liked with the ending in particular being great, the dynamic between the main four characters was well done, the game is graphically damn impressive in many instances, etc. In 2 weeks, I managed to put in 130 hours of playtime and I still have a bunch of stuff left to do. And with the future updates and DLCs, there's going to be even more to do.

While I've put the game down for now, I'll gladly return to it once most of the patches and DLC releases.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Least Liked: "Senran Kagura: Estival Versus" for the PSVita

Two years ago in 2014, I actually put "Senran Kagura: Shinovi Versus" as my least liked entry for that year. But despite my many problems with the game, I can still say I enjoyed it in the very end.

Now this year, with the sequel...I just don't know what happened. Outside of the graphics, animations, and some small things...I found it to be notably worse than its predecessor in nearly every regard. The story was throwaway and ended without much of a resolution, characterization was piss-poor and even regressed many of the characters if not outright repeated arcs/scenarios from prior entries, combat was made worse (though of course others may disagree), etc.

It's no exaggeration to say that this has been the only game I've ever actively regretted getting.

"Senran Kagura", despite all the stuff I do like about it, seems like it's just not for me at this point anymore. After being repeatedly let down with the games and with the upcoming entry being what it is...I just don't see myself returning to this franchise anytime soon, if ever, unfortunately.
Last edited by shadowmaksim on Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xnobody13
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Re: Your Most and Least Liked Games of 2016

Postby xnobody13 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:07 pm

GAMES I LIKED:

Spoiler:
Plants Vs Zombies Garden Warfare 2: Once more, Plants Vs Zombies made it on my list for the year. The game is a big improvement over the first one, offering more characters, more customization, and some better maps as well. The single player content is fine, and the multiplayer of course is fun and hectic. Honestly, this is one of my Game of the Year candidates, not going to lie

Arslan: the Warriors of Legend: Whew, a good Warriors game for once. I know a lot of people complained that this game was short for a Warriors title, but I think that was one of its strengths. There wasn't much padding, the grinding wasn't the worst, and since this is a license I never really cared about before, getting me to care about the series has to mean it did something right. Also, horse combat, even if the controls were kinda wonky.

Kingdom Hearts: Unchained stupid-looking symbol: Not a bad phone game. The plot's up in the air, but the gameplay is all right. The graphics are great, the original music is wonderful, and the surprising generosity of constantly giving 0 AP events constantly certainly helps.

Lego Harry Potter Collection: Uh...did they just remaster Lego games? My god. Still...the remasters are fine, I guess. At least it wasn't as screwed up as Silent Hill 2 HD.

Overwatch: A rather fun Online shooter. I was honestly expecting to hate its guts, but it actually has nice gameplay, great characters, and while the maps get repetitive real quick, at least their fun to run about. Trophies are a bitch, but what can ya do?

Psychonauts: This PS2 remaster (which may just be a remaster of the PC version in disguise) was great. I didn't encounter any noticeable bugs (the only one that happened was that I got the trophy to beat a world that I literally just started), and well, its Psychonauts.

Valkyria Chronicles Remastered: Must be telling when a lot of my favorite games are remasters. Anyways, its Valkyria Chronicles running even better and now with trophy support, even including the DLC! My only complaint is that the steel box version is annoying, since it always feels like you're breaking the disc.

Final Fantasy VII (PS4): Once more, another remaster. It's fine. The textures are sloppy (based on the PC, of course), but its still fun to play. That's...honestly about it. It's hard to talk about things I actually like.

Shantae and the Pirate's Curse: Another good Shantae game. Guess I shouldn't be surprised...you see how hard this is? I don't like liking things. Anyways, the game looks great, Risky Boots is always a pleasure, and it plays extremely well.

The Witch and the Hundred Knight: Revival Edition: A good port that runs better, adds stuff, and fixes a nasty bug that crashes the game (least I think it does. Hasn't happened yet). Not much to say except yet another good remaster.

Nights of Azure: Hey, a game I didn't get pissed off at! Holy shit, this has been a surprisingly good year. Got the President I wanted, played some good games...it feels disgusting to me. Anyways, the characters are good, the graphics are...ish, but the gameplay is fine!

Five Nights at Freddy's Sister Location: This is honestly Five Nights 2 to me. It plays well, adds a lot to the gameplay formula, and the plot is rather serviceable. Not saying the others were terrible by any means, but this did feel like a huge step up.

Bioshock The Collection (PS4): Yet another Goddamn remaster, this time with three games on two discs! Bioshock 1 and 2 run well (There was a nasty bug with the first one that nearly caused a huge problem with beating the game on the hardest difficulty, but at least there was a workaround to it), and while I hate Infinite, it at least runs..,no screw that, I still hate it.

Games I'm Mixed About:

Spoiler:
Senran Kagura: Estival Versus: I...really don't know about this one. I like the characters, the graphics are good, it's great for degenerate perverts like me...yet I can't stand it. What's the issue here? I think the gameplay is okay; repetitive, but I play Warriors games for a living, so who cares about that? I like the additional characters, so...what's the problem?

I think it's the plot. To be frank, I never was a fan of the plot for the series, and while I should feel ridiculous complaining about such a thing considering what this franchise, apparently a lot of people like the story. I...just don't. It seems very cliched, with a lot of forced drama that really feels like "Oh, this is edgy! If you don't like it, it means you're stupid!" At least, though, with the previous installments, the stories were segregated. Here...they're combined, and that just doesn't work. A lot of scenes have characters either not exist anymore or not do anything when they really should. Also, some parts of the plot feel very recycled from Shinovi, and then they recycle it multiple times throughout the game. I don't know how you actually do that.

Pokemon GO: Oh boy, here we go...as a guy who's collected 78 pokemon and got into a war with a Pinsir, I guess I could talk about this. You see, I live in a rural area, where the nearest pokestop is miles away, and gyms are even farther off. When I first started playing, you could only get a Eevee or Pidgey's; the only way I caught so many unique guys is thanks to a lot of that incense item, and eggs.

Now before I get into why this game is mixed, let me talk about a very controversial change, at least to me. I travel a lot, usually as a passenger, so I usually had the game running. Of course you can't play while driving, but that didn't effect me. This was how I caught most of my Pokemon, and how I visited all of my Pokestops.

Come september...I can't do that anymore. They apparently added a speed cap, preventing pokemon from appearing past a certain speed, and pokestops are no longer able to be access due to the same reasons. Thus, my gameplay has been seriously halted.

Past that grievance, there really isn't a lot to do with the game, especially if you live similarly to me. You can only fight in gyms, catching pokemon sometimes feels more luck-based than usual, the actual way to throw pokeballs sucks (a lot of times I lost a ball because it just fell while I tried to throw it. I don't even get it). The added feature to better track pokemon is nice, but where I live, it's kinda too cold to wander about, and again, the system only really works with pokestops, and since there's none near me, that makes things a pain.

GAMES I DIDN'T LIKE

Spoiler:
Ratchet and Clank PS4: Oh boy, here we go. The movie was...bad, but I had high hopes for this one. I mean, it looked decent, and it wasn't going to play like All-4-One or Full Frontal Assault, so I mean...

But the game...the game sucks. The graphics may look decent, but it honestly somehow looks generic the more you look at the game. Also, the in-game cutscenes do that weird thing where the characters stand still, but we still zoom in on them, and dear God, it doesn't look right.

The gameplay is fine, but the 30 frames really do hurt it, not to mention that firing the weapons really doesn't feel right. I don't know, I guess it just feels like a chore to shoot rather than actually being fun.

Also, the cutscenes ripped from the movie aren't even really tied to the gameplay I just played. I'm not asking for perfection, but when I beat a boss, and the cutscene after acts as if it never happened...yeah, it's jarring.

Not the worst thing I have played this year, but it was hard naming any positives about it.

Darksiders: Warmastered Edition: Newest game here, and much like Darksiders II: Deathinitive...dear lord. At least it's in 60 frames this time, and I do appreciate it more after the sequel, but that's not saying much. Gameplay feels a lot more sluggish for some reason in this port, music sounds very muffled, you can buy things that you shouldn't be able to buy so early in the game, causing them to be unusable...and of course, I guess the porters didn't take into consideration the lip-sync when they upped the frame rate. I don't know if that would actually affect it, but my god, the voices are not synced at all.

DOOM: Oh boy, here's come controversy. I did not like DOOM at all, which sucks because like Ratchet and Clank, I had high hopes for it. The previews looked great and frantic, and the gunplay looked fun. Then I actually played it...and I felt bored immediately. Somehow every gun felt the same, and nothing looked particularly exciting or worth-while to use.

Multiplayer is fine, I guess. It's just...very lackluster. Maps feel very small, the announcer is awful, and overall it just feels like a cheap addition. There's of course level progression and all that stuff, but it didn't feel worth it after some time.

Single player was shit, let's get that straight. Aside from the levels all feeling the same (And in some cases, are the same), most are very short, and even though they touted "Open-ended levels," everything felt extremely linear, almost like DOOM 3's. In fact, that's the issue right there. They tried to make the game a big fast, epic shooter...but at the same time, they awkwardly combined that with DOOM 3's more slower approach. DOOM 3 is fun, the original DOOM series is fun; both combined is a very bad thing. Thus, everything just feels so damn boring, and its over before you even know it,even on harder difficulties.

This isn't even to mention the freaking install size and load times on the PS4. By the time it was deleted, it was about 73 GB (DLC updates that I had to download to play online...they amounted to roughly 28 GB!), and the game still took a very long time to load. What for, anyways? I know I'm going to get flak here, but the graphics didn't look that impressive; maybe on a cutting edge PC, but I watched footage of that version too, and I mean, it looks better, but honestly not that different.

The only positive I had with the game was its snapmap mode, specifically the user-created content. Even if a lot look the same, what people create usually is far more creative than the actual levels. Only downside to this mode, again, is the long load times.

ZOMBI (PS4): Heh heh...I always asked myself if ZombiU would be better on another console outside the Wii U. At least for this installment...hell no. Somehow the game runs worse (the framerate drops a hellishly amount of times even when nothing is happening), and even looks worse (in my opinion, the colors are somehow even more washed out. How does that work?). Controls are somewhat more responsive than the original version, but again, that's not saying much, as there is still some input lag. Overall, a very shoddy port for an already shoddy game.

Megedimension Neptunia VII: Oh oh, here we go!

Everyone and their mothers told me that this was a huge improvement over previous Neptunia Games. They said the plot was good, the gameplay fantastic, and even the music and graphics were a big step up. Well hot damn, after being disappointed for a long time with this damn series, all of that sounded wonderful! What could possibly go wrong? Well, as one scene went:

(NO PICTURE ON SCREEN) ???: "..."

Wow, this is a game that just didn't work. Combat didn't feel improved at all; in fact, it still felt like it did from Victory. I guess there's this part break system or something, but it rarely came to use at any point, and most of the time I forgot it was even there. Other than that...I really don't know. What was the big, ultra improvement I was told about? The formation attacks? Those barely become a thing, and when they do, they're useless about 20% of the way through.

The game runs at 60 frames...most of the time. Actually, I like it when it doesn't run at 60; the game looks so cheap, that the increased frame rate actually hurts, since you have a better view of how awful the dungeons and animations are. Characters float awkwardly over the ground, enemies move really weird, and somehow invisible walls are much more profound. I know Compile Heart isn't a big company; I know that perfectly. However, that still doesn't excuse shoddy design, especially when a lot of the dungeons come from the Re;Birth series, and they still look awful!

As for the animations, they have not improved at all. Characters randomly stop awkwardly during their attacks, enemies being attacked look like brick walls, and the facial animations...come on! Even in Japanese, the mouths just flap uncontrollably.

The music is okay. Nothing special, but not bad. I'm happy we at least got new tracks this time around!

The plot...eh. Just eh. I like the characters, I always do and I probably always will. It's just...I don't like how they're used. Even though this is a new game and stuff for the series, character's still sound stagnant. Yes, the game's comedic at heart, but that doesn't mean the plot's always have to be the same. Vert at least somewhat acted a little bit different, but not by much. Also, mini rant here, but where's the Oracles? "Oh, that's too many characters!" Well, stop adding so many then! You make characters, original ones, and yet you never use them. No, I don't count Scout cameos...which also still sucks, by the way.

The new characters are fine, but I know for the most part many of them aren't returning. Maybe in this Four Goddess Online game, but even if they do, their role will be insignificant. I know they have a lot of characters to work with, but it just seems like a huge waste when they introduce people, and then never use them again.

So after all that, I don't see what others saw. Is it good by Compile Heart standards? No, at least not to me. I can appreciate them moving to the PS4, I guess, but I just don't have any positives for this one. I'm sorry, but this game just sucks.

GAMES I DON'T LIKE I PLAYED FOR THE FIRST TIME THIS YEAR:

Spoiler:
Wolfenstein: The New Order: I am not impressed, and I played the 2009 one! I appreciate that they brought the series in a new direction, and I do hope that it continues on...but this particular installment was just not pleasant. The game's plot felt very forced and cliched, and while people tell me that it was one of the first game's where choice matters, I didn't see it that way. Whatever you choose at the beginning of the game doesn't really change what happens too much; a few things, but nothing extreme.

Gameplay is fine, but uninspired. I mean, I guess that's good, but it's forgettable. Graphics are just strange, with textures appearing very stretched and blurry, and the music is barely noticeable when it's used. Also, I don't really like B.J in this game. Yes, I get they were trying to make him more of a real hero, but I liked his snarky attitude from the last game; If they somehow got that here, this would've been a far better game, let me tell you.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow:The game that refused to let me win. Aside from the awful framerate and lackluster GOW-like gamplay, the game is bugged to hell, at least for my file. There's a part early in the game where I have to destroy a door; only way to do this is to steal a bomb from a goblin, and throw it at it. Problem? The Goblins don't exist. I can restart the level, restart the chapter, restart the entire game, uninstall the game...and nothing. They refuse to appear. I think I can glitch through the door, but the cost of that is a collectible which I kinda want. Thus, I am in an unwinnable situation. Oh well, it sucks anyways, so good riddance.

Samurai Warriors Chronicles 3: I will not waste your time telling you why this game is the crust of my, uh, basketballs, yeah.

Let's Fish: Hooked On!: What the hell is this? The game looks ugly, the audio is shit, gameplay is extremely luck-based and shallow, replayability is bad, RPG elements are cheaply added, the plot makes no sense and is rather useless, and overall, the framerate and music were bad. Never heard of this one? Good.

Warriors Orochi 3: Ultimate: Let's see...Gauntlet Mode is completely useless and grindy, the new levels offer nothing new to any plot, the plot added is very rushed and ends really with a shallow resolution, music somehow got worse (like the track "Arena"? Oh, you'll love every single stage then), and really, why are there so many characters added? They offer nothing, and they're just there to increase grinding time. This is seriously one of those warrior games that make me question why I like them in the first place

GAME OF THE YEAR!!!

Spoiler:
Plants Vs Zombies Garden Warfare 2

It came down to this and Overwatch, and it was very close. In the end though, GW2 added a lot, had plenty of replayability, and overall was a blast to play. To be fair, Overwatch was similar, though it was just beaten out if only by level design.

Still, remarkable that my top 2 games are Online Shooters. How bizarre that is.
Spoiler:

Blink_Winkel
Majin
Majin

Postby Blink_Winkel » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:12 pm

Last edited by Blink_Winkel on Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Sumner
Netherworld Count
Netherworld Count

Postby Sumner » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:08 pm

Most Liked:
MeiQ
7th Dragon III
X-Blaze Lost Memories
Steins;Gate 0
Least Liked:
Trails of cold steel 2
Meteor Breaker!

razisgosu
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby razisgosu » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:15 pm

Sumner wrote:Most Liked:
Least Liked:
Trails of cold steel 2

How is that even possible? Its a fantastic game.

Sumner
Netherworld Count
Netherworld Count

Postby Sumner » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:14 am

razisgosu wrote:
Least Liked:
Trails of cold steel 2

- The battle system is okay at best.
- Only a few characters i care about.
- Divine knight battles are awful.
- Erebonia arc thus far is disappointing.
At this point, i'm done with trails and falcom. It's not all bad, i was able to play zero and ao in my lifetime.
Meteor Breaker!

Porecomesis
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Porecomesis » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:38 am

razisgosu wrote:
Least Liked:
Trails of cold steel 2

Speaking as someone who's watched a playthrough of Trails in the Sky: First Chapter, a few chapters of Second Chapter, and a bit of Cold Steel 2, the characters have a habit of coming off as bland and cliché and the dialogue is... god. There's a very good reason the Ys series is as renowned as it is and it's not because of the stellar bloody writing.

Blink_Winkel
Majin
Majin

Postby Blink_Winkel » Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:18 am

Last edited by Blink_Winkel on Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

xnobody13
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby xnobody13 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:45 am

Blink_Winkel wrote:
shadowmaksim wrote:Least Liked: "Senran Kagura: Estival Versus" for the PSVita

xnobody13 wrote:
[b]GAMES I DIDN'T LIKE

Megadimension Neptunia VII

Now this is where I post: How is that even possible? Its a fantastic game.

As for Trails of Cold Steel II, I guess the localization is dub only again? For me, that ruins even the greatest JRPGs.
Spoiler:
And I figured in 2016-2017, we shouldn't need to resort to undubs anymore with other legal alternatives like DLC and Asia imports with Japanese voices + English text: ( http://www.play-asia.com/games/asia_eng ... s/14/712bl ).

If you liked it, that's great. I utterly despise DOOM, and yet everybody else loves it. It happens.

My problem with VII is that it just wasn't fun to play. I hated the plot (it at first felt interesting with the different stories you can play through, but eventually they just grew to being a chore), the gameplay felt very stiff, and while I know this has little budget and they essentially worked with what they got, the graphics just look bad. I'm sorry, but they can't do a destroyed city any justice, and even the repeat dungeons look very archaic at this point.

Anything else I covered in my previous post. Again, this is just my opinion. Perhaps I've just grown tired of the series at this point.
Spoiler:

Blink_Winkel
Majin
Majin

Postby Blink_Winkel » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:26 am

Last edited by Blink_Winkel on Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Porecomesis
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Porecomesis » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:28 pm

xnobody13 wrote:My problem with VII is that it just wasn't fun to play. I hated the plot (it at first felt interesting with the different stories you can play through, but eventually they just grew to being a chore), the gameplay felt very stiff, and while I know this has little budget and they essentially worked with what they got, the graphics just look bad. I'm sorry, but they can't do a destroyed city any justice, and even the repeat dungeons look very archaic at this point.

To me, the Gold Dimension was a very weak part of the game scattered with insanely weak writing and stupidity. The Zero Dimension was the strongest part of the game, although that's not particularly a difficult hurdle to jump.

Blink_Winkel wrote:Yeah, that's your opinion and there's nothing wrong with that. Though it's true that the Neptunia games never really had good plots (it's pretty much purely about the comedy/parodies) personally the main reason I enjoy them so much is because of the likeable
Ha
Blink_Winkel wrote:cast of characters, outstanding Japanese voice acting, and of course the comedy (that new "Steamax" guy is hilarious! :D). It's basically one of those games that makes me in a good mood and brings a smile to my face when I'm playing.

Okay, I can't lie; the dynamic between Steamax and Affimojas was great. They take the Cute Girls Doing Cute Things atmosphere, turn it around a bit, and make it their own thing. Robot Guys Doing Not-Robot-But-More-Guy Things. I want more villains like them. Just amp up the competence scale to around Beast Wars Megatron levels and Affimojas would be perfect.

Blink_Winkel wrote:Neptunia VII also has many improvements I'm really happy about. I love what they did with the scout system, since Stella's Dungeon was just... boring. It's also pretty cool that the enemies actually speak!

Says you. If there's one thing I can't stand with the games, it's how the characters never shut the hell up.
Blink_Winkel wrote:I also think the new link attacks is an interesting feature, it makes the battles more fun and the lily ranks actually worth grinding. Clearing challenges to unlock hidden treasures in dungeons, that's a nice improvement. Better than going around blindly spamming that detect skill in dungeons, trying to find hidden treasures.

But you have to send in scouts to get those challenges in the first place, which takes around ten minutes. You'd think the scouts would find the treasure in that time. And how do they get that kind of info? Is there some monster hermit in each dungeon that imparts it? Why can't we find it just by bumping into it? It's a freaking treasure chest, it's not a wedding ring.

Blink_Winkel wrote:The only thing I don't really like so far is that Spelunker dungeon, which is a bit annoying.

What about route building? That makes no sense whatsoever.

shadowmaksim
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby shadowmaksim » Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:02 pm

Just a friendly reminder, forgot to put this in the intro comment and didn't realize it until just now. Better late then never I suppose.

Agree or disagree, please at least respect the choices and the opinions of others. Everyone has their own standards and sets of preferences, no need to start a flame war over them.

Dorarnae
Majin
Majin

Postby Dorarnae » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:14 pm

the game that surprised me the most I think for 2016 is coven and the labyrinth of refrain. I wasn't expecting much but it was quite fun and fresh.

and Demon Gaze 2 is probably the game I was the most disapointed in. It's not a 'bad' game I think , they improved on a couple things(combat wise) but I guess I was expecting more , in particular for the dungeons.

Blink_Winkel
Majin
Majin

Postby Blink_Winkel » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:23 pm

Last edited by Blink_Winkel on Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sumner
Netherworld Count
Netherworld Count

Postby Sumner » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:35 pm

I forgot to add ultra despair girls to the list.
- Disappointing antagonist (ruined the game for me personally)
I would add estival versus but i had fun. I do have problems with the game
- Character regression.
- Shoehorning kagura.
I have to give a honorable mention to Valkyrie drive, didn't care for the giant bosses, but it was different enough. It was a wild and crazy ride but it's time for me to get off the takaki train.
Meteor Breaker!

Return to “General Chat”