Your Most and Least Liked Games of 2016

A place for everybody to talk about anything game-related.
Porecomesis
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Re: Your Most and Least Liked Games of 2016

Postby Porecomesis » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:35 pm

Blink_Winkel wrote:I guess it's just to prevent players from visiting the other continents until we finish each character's story.

But that was already a thing; the routes didn't unlock until we got to them in the story. For some oddball reason, they slapped a price on it and gave us some in-story justification that doesn't hold water.

Blink_Winkel wrote:For this, we are in agreement. I liked Anonydeath and CFW Brave, but Steamax and Affimojas are now my favorite Neptunia villains!

I hope they come back as villains and get more robot friends on their side. The CPUs vs AffiMax and enforcers.

razisgosu
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby razisgosu » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:53 pm

Sumner wrote:
razisgosu wrote:
Sumner wrote:Most Liked:
Least Liked:
Trails of cold steel 2

How is that even possible? Its a fantastic game.

- The battle system is okay at best.
- Only a few characters i care about.
- Divine knight battles are awful.
- Erebonia arc thus far is disappointing.
At this point, i'm done with trails and falcom. It's not all bad, i was able to play zero and ao in my lifetime.

Interesting. While the turn based combat is nothing special I found the divine knight battles enjoyable. I haven't had a cast of characters I enjoyed this much since the Mass Effect trilogy either. I've found the Erebonia arc pretty enjoyable with twists and turns everywhere.

xizro345
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby xizro345 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:03 am

Most Liked: Ys VIII - Lacrimosa of Dana

Certainly the highlight for the year. Despite certain technical shortcomings, it has a nice story (despite people yelling that "Ys shouldn't have" one) even if not particularly complex that ties things up instead of the awful Celceta ending, an excellent soundtrack and a very good battle system. If the PS4 port is adequately priced I may even get it, considering the added content in Tokyo Xanadu eX+ justified its price.

Honorable mention: Tokyo Xanadu eX+ - since it adds quite a bit from the original game, fixes a few issues of certain mechanics and in general plays well.

Least Liked: Star Ocean 5

As a mid budget game it got a lot of things wrong, though mostly aren't in the actual game mechanics.

Honorable mention: Neptune VII (Japanese version) - it reaffirmed again that certain characters can't work without Neptune present (the mechanics were mostly ok, the only issue was the "random encounters" on the map), not to mention certain pacing issues and the way Uzume was handled.

BMSviasol
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby BMSviasol » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:17 pm

Most liked: Killing Floor 2 (PS4 port):

This is proof that all you need for a good game is to make a single mechanic feel amazing, and that one mechanic is shooting Zeds in the face. (Also I guess it's kinda nice to throw Dosh around the place)

Doom (2016):

Ripping and tearing and shooting Demons' limbs never felt so good. It also helps that you can move more than 3 mph.

Least liked: Batman the CantTellTale Series:

"This game series adapts to the choi-" Oh fuck off, no it doesn't. Even if it did, it completely disregards your choices from the last episode by having some arbitrary event connect the previous 2 choices together and repeats until episode 5. In fact, Crowd Play is proof of this since no matter what everyone votes, unless the host is awful at QTEs the story progresses no matter what. Heavy Rain had more interaction and impactful choices than this crap.

Street Fighter V: Permanent β edition:

"Unable to connect to server. [2100e]" I have to wonder which hamster Capcom hired to run the servers because goddamn is the netcode godawful. They also completely ruined the meta with the Season 2 changes. The only saving grace is that the mechanics themselves are well implemented and you can have some really good matches if they're local. Unless they pull a miracle in Season 3, I might just convert to Guilty Gear Xrd at this point.
Just BMS and/or viasol (vI•uh•SOUL) is fine, thanks.

I may or may not stream at any day, at any time. Twitch.tv/bmsviasol

Rednal
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Rednal » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:47 pm

Star Ocean 5 was probably my biggest disappointment, too. I mean, I played the heck out of Star Ocean 3 back in the day, but this game... it felt far more constrained than it should have been. (For the skills, too. The number of choices for each character was horrifyingly small to me.)

As for most-liked, uh... y'know, I'm not sure. XD I enjoyed a lot of different games.
PSN: LordRednal / Twitter: @Rednal29 ] Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/rednal29

Sleepyprinny99
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby Sleepyprinny99 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:35 am

Most liked:
- Trails of Cold Steel 2
- God Eater: Resurrection & God Eater 2: Rage Burst
- Criminal Girls 2
- Summon Night 5
- King of Fighters XIV
- Odin Sphere Leifthrasir
- various others...

Least liked:
- Star Ocean 5...had potential, still WAY better than 4...but fell sh9rt in every way compared to 3.

darkrchaos
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby darkrchaos » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:08 pm

My least liked game would have to be The Escapist. It wasn't a bad game, but it took way too long to play and I don't have the time to just sit around.

My favorite would have to be DOOM. I love me some DOOM

Porecomesis
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Porecomesis » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:07 pm

darkrchaos wrote:My least liked game would have to be The Escapist. It wasn't a bad game, but it took way too long to play and I don't have the time to just sit around.

My favorite would have to be DOOM. I love me some DOOM

I make it a point to share this song with any and all DOOM fans and I encourage you to do the same.

lopez
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Postby lopez » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:58 pm

I can't even remember what dropped in 2016, so hopefully I'm picking 2016 games...

Liked:

SMTIV A - more SMT is usually a good thing. Nothing overly noteworthy, but enjoyable nonetheless.

Farcry Primal - take the Farcry formula, which I enjoy, and add in primitive weapons and animal taming. The upgrade system was quite engaging too.

Mixed:

Fire Emblem Fates - Conquest had some good ol' school challenge, but I wasn't a fan of the story or many of the characters, especially the Royals.

Zero Time Dilemma - not a fan of the game's direction and was disappointed with the story/closure. I was expecting so much more from the events of VLR...

Disliked:

Trillion God of Destruction - I gave it a good amount of time, but it was so boring...made it to
Spoiler:
Trillion's second form
and gave up when I realized how much more grinding I needed to do...

ichi_jo
Peon
Peon

Postby ichi_jo » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:44 am

The Witcher of course and Mafia III. Best games ever!

shymel94
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby shymel94 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:36 am

Liked
Just about everything I played.

Disliked
Zero Time Dilemma - I'll echo lopez's sentiments here as I felt as though the story went downhill. Established characters, to me, felt as though they were acting out of character and I really did not care for most of the new characters.
3DS FC: 2148-8629-2994
PSN ID: sheena1278
Wii U FC: shy_mel

phannson88
New Vassal
New Vassal

Postby phannson88 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:53 am

Return to “General Chat”