Interesting read on internal localization practices.

A place for everybody to talk about anything game-related.
odinfan
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Interesting read on internal localization practices.

Postby odinfan » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:15 am

Article gets pretty in-depth, this is probably how companies like Atlus and NISA do things:

http://electricspectrum.com/index2.php? ... df=1&id=35

And we have all thought it was as simple as re-inserting some text.... Well, now we know what they have to go through to bring us these releases. Hopefully, this gives you guys some insight into how repetitive it might be. We're just paying for the finished product. These guys are looking at a white background with numbers and text literally days on end. And they have deadlines to deal with. I think we should give them a little more respect.

Judgment8
Netherworld Count
Netherworld Count

Re: Interesting read on internal localization practices.

Postby Judgment8 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:09 am

Yeah, I agree. I remember when people complained about the text errors which D2:DHD has, but I didn't mind them because they were so minor and I knew how much work the localization team has done. That article just proves like you said that localizing is nowhere near as simple as just re-inserting the translated text.

lopez
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Postby lopez » Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:45 pm

I did computer programming for a few years and I can relate to the programmers, debuggers and localization people who do their jobs.

It's a long and arduous process that can drive you mad when you have problems pop-up while running the program or worse, you have to search thousands of lines of code to correct a single word or line of dialogue; it's like finding a needle in a haystack.

I have to give huge props to NISA and Atlus for doing such a great job localizing their games :D

odinfan
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby odinfan » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:28 pm

It's not just the way they localize things, it's how respectable their staff are as well. For me, since it's been more of a smaller company, I've always felt like they're more personal. I don't really feel like they're admins or mods, but casual friends, if you can put it that way. Yes, that's how close I feel. It's great being here, really.

PerryComo
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby PerryComo » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:14 pm

A mysterious message coming from nowhere...

Return to “General Chat”