Fairy Fencer F - General Discussion Thread

Official forum of this turn-based RPG for the PS3
The_Dood_Abides
Demon Lord
Demon Lord

Re: Fairy Fencer F - General Discussion Thread

Postby The_Dood_Abides » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:34 am

To elaborate on Houk's post, I played around with keeping Eryn's name as some variation of Alyn/Aryn. However, had I kept the "Alyn" spelling, pronouncing that in English would've sounded too similar to the name "Alan" for my tastes. I wanted her to have a feminine-sounding name, so "Alyn" had to be scrapped.

The next alternative was "Aryn", but because there's another character in the game named Karin, it felt weird to have two characters, fairy characters no less, who's names are phonetically similar save for the inclusion of a hard K-sound at the beginning of one of them.

So I decided to change the A to an E and that seemed to resolve the issue. Therefore, in our localization of Fairy Fencer F, she'll be referred to as Eryn, pronounced like "Erin."
Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Varnes
New Vassal
New Vassal

Postby Varnes » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:37 am

I am so excited for this game thanks for bringing it over! Love anything compile heart so the more the merrier! Honestly surprised that this game is getting localized so fast, it only came out in October last year in Japan

xizro345
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby xizro345 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:38 am

I'm fully aware of the reasons of the Japanese to choose this name over another. I do not agree with the localization choice, though. In my past history of seeing localized anime while I worked at the anime company I mentioned ages ago, I always battled these choices, which had similar reasonings .

Mentioning the Atelier Series isn't a good choice as it brings up the "wonderful" (IMO) Esty Dee...

However, had I kept the "Alyn" spelling, pronouncing that in English would've sounded too similar to the name "Alan" for my tastes. I wanted her to have a feminine-sounding name, so "Alyn" had to be scrapped.

Exactly what I'm mentioning above. While helping with the localization of Kido Senkan Nadesico in my own language, a couple names were changed for similar reasons. Let's just say, I do not agree with this. In my own view, the fact that a name may sound "too similar" to another in English is a non-issue. It's not an English game, it's a Japanese game that is being localized.
Ah, and I hope I don't sound antagonistic, it's not my intention to insult anyone or telling the work is "horrible". As some posters (and Houk himself) know, I find slamming stuff without explanation rude and stupid.

myskaros
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby myskaros » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:57 am

However, had I kept the "Alyn" spelling, pronouncing that in English would've sounded too similar to the name "Alan" for my tastes. I wanted her to have a feminine-sounding name, so "Alyn" had to be scrapped.

Did you consider "Elyn" which would sound more feminine (Ellen)?

Or phoneticizing her name as "a-LYNN" or something, so that, again, it sounds more feminine? It's not spelled "Alan" so not everyone is going to assume it's pronounced as such; an example would be "Rorolina" which, when I first saw the name, read it in my head as "roh-ROH-lynn-ah" when it ended up being "roh-roh-LINE-ah."

Since her name is アリン in Japanese, it's not unreasonable to decide that the English pronunciation would be "a-LYNN."

Excelsia
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Excelsia » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:01 am

myskaros wrote:Did you consider "Elyn" which would sound more feminine (Ellen)?

This actually seems like a very reasonable alternative, with less divergence from the original. It sounds almost identical to 'Alyn', and would manage quite well to keep as much in line with the original as possible, I think.

I'm actually a little surprised that 'Elyn' wasn't considered as an alternate choice.

The_Dood_Abides
Demon Lord
Demon Lord

Postby The_Dood_Abides » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:13 am

xizro345 wrote:I'm fully aware of the reasons of the Japanese to choose this name over another. I do not agree with the localization choice, though. In my past history of seeing localized anime while I worked at the anime company I mentioned ages ago, I always battled these choices, which had similar reasonings .

Mentioning the Atelier Series isn't a good choice as it brings up the "wonderful" (IMO) Esty Dee...

Exactly what I'm mentioning above. While helping with the localization of Kido Senkan Nadesico in my own language, a couple names were changed for similar reasons. Let's just say, I do not agree with this. In my own view, the fact that a name may sound "too similar" to another in English is a non-issue. It's not an English game, it's a Japanese game that is being localized.
Ah, and I hope I don't sound antagonistic, it's not my intention to insult anyone or telling the work is "horrible". As some posters (and Houk himself) know, I find slamming stuff without explanation rude and stupid.

For me, the issue wasn't that it sounded similar to another English name. It's that it sounded too similar to an English name that is typically assigned to men, when the character is clearly female.

myskaros wrote:

Did you consider "Elyn" which would sound more feminine (Ellen)?

Or phoneticizing her name as "a-LYNN" or something, so that, again, it sounds more feminine? It's not spelled "Alan" so not everyone is going to assume it's pronounced as such; an example would be "Rorolina" which, when I first saw the name, read it in my head as "roh-ROH-lynn-ah" when it ended up being "roh-roh-LINE-ah."

Since her name is アリン in Japanese, it's not unreasonable to decide that the English pronunciation would be "a-LYNN."

I considered that, but ultimately Eryn won out because it sounded more natural and less forced than Alynn would've sounded. Plus, I personally associate fairies as these ephemeral, flighty creatures, and I really liked the phonetic harmony of the most important fairy in the game having a name that contained a similar "airy" attribute to it. I did consider Elyn or Elynn, and though those names are more faithful to the original Japanese, they were missing that airy attribute that the name Eryn seemed to encapsulate so well.

Houk
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby Houk » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:16 am

xizro - there's no problem at all with you disagreeing with our approach. Just understand that while you may disagree, this is the approach we take, always has been, always will be. Based on our localization philosophy and the way we work with our developers, this is what works best for us and our games. That's really all there is to it.

As for the exact way in which we change the name, we can only ask you to trust that we've looked at all our options and, based on the content and context of the game, have chosen the one that best fits.

And yes, we haven't forgotten about Esty Dee. It's unfortunate, but we learned that lesson very well, and we haven't had anything like that since. Hopefully we'll be forgiven for that at some point in my lifetime.

myskaros
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby myskaros » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:30 am

The_Dood_Abides wrote:I considered that, but ultimately Eryn won out because it sounded more natural and less forced than Alynn would've sounded. Plus, I personally associate fairies as these ephemeral, flighty creatures, and I really liked the phonetic harmony of the most important fairy in the game having a name that contained a similar "airy" attribute to it. I did consider Elyn or Elynn, and though those names are more faithful to the original Japanese, they were missing that airy attribute that the name Eryn seemed to encapsulate so well.

Makes enough sense. To me, the visual change from A to E just feels really jarring, so I would have preferred something starting with an A still. Were Airyn or Aeryn considered?

xizro345
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby xizro345 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:31 am

Plus, I personally associate fairies as these ephemeral, flighty creatures, and I really liked the phonetic harmony of the most important fairy in the game having a name that contained a similar "airy" attribute to it.

I can understand that, but the in game term is used in a much broader way (especially looking at the ones from Resonance Effect..). I don't think it's a strong argument, in my opinion.

Also I forgot to tell the other people that ALL the Resonance Effect Fairies have voiced lines, from when you first get them to when they give you gifts (items) for various reasons.

xizro - there's no problem at all with you disagreeing with our approach. Just understand that while you may disagree, this is the approach we take, always has been, always will be. Based on our localization philosophy and the way we work with our developers, this is what works best for us and our games. That's really all there is to it.

I know. And until you get a change of heart (which won't happen) I will, without sounding like a rabid dog and in a polite way, voice my disagreement.

And yes, we haven't forgotten about Esty Dee. It's unfortunate, but we learned that lesson very well, and we haven't had anything like that since. Hopefully we'll be forgiven for that at some point in my lifetime.

It wasn't my intent to mock you and I apologize if it sounded like that. It was a weak argument in my view, that's all.

I'm not based my decision on avoiding NISA's work on that anyway. That started with a certain interview on RPGamer a long time ago, followed by Ar Tonelico 2's "accidents". For me (and me only), given what I've seen of your localized works (especially Neptune Mk2), the reasoning is too different from what I (again, only me) expect from a localization. People of course liked it most of the time, since NISA's localized titles are mostly successes, so I'm not "demanding" anything.
Not to mention, knowing the language I'm in a better position of most of the people posting here.
Take my posts as a mosquito sting, something mostly harmless that causes minor annoyance. Nothing more.

The_Dood_Abides
Demon Lord
Demon Lord

Postby The_Dood_Abides » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:37 am

xizro345 wrote:
Plus, I personally associate fairies as these ephemeral, flighty creatures, and I really liked the phonetic harmony of the most important fairy in the game having a name that contained a similar "airy" attribute to it.

I can understand that, but the in game term is used in a much broader way (especially looking at the ones from Resonance Effect..). I don't think it's a strong argument, in my opinion.

Also I forgot to tell the other people that ALL the Resonance Effect Fairies have voiced lines, from when you first get them to when they give you gifts (items) for various reasons.

Oh, I'm well aware that the fairies in this game are a very eclectic, diverse group, and some of them don't even look like traditional fairies at all (*cough* Ryushin *cough*). But Eryn is very much an archetypal fairy, and I think in her case, this name suits her.

xizro345
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby xizro345 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:38 am

Fair enough. Just expect me to call her "Alyn" every time I write here though 8P (I'm joking, before people think otherwise).

On a more curious note (again, not for bashing purposes, I'm honestly interested), how do you plan to localize Gald's strong Kansai-ben accent? I could ask the same for Pippin's "unique" way of speaking...

Houk
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby Houk » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:43 pm

It's no problem at all voicing your opinion and discussing stuff like that.

The bottom line is, you could ask ten different people to localize a name, and you could end up with ten different options. We expect and completely accept that other people aren't always going to agree with our choices, and only ask that people extend us the same understanding.

myskaros
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby myskaros » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:54 pm

I'm putting forth suggestions in hopes that you might acknowledge them and provide discussion for why you liked it, didn't like it, chose to go with another option, etc. I just enjoy that kind of discussion, and I also have an interest in going back to school to enter the translation/localization industry.

Darcnova
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Darcnova » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:57 pm

Houk wrote:It's no problem at all voicing your opinion and discussing stuff like that.

The bottom line is, you could ask ten different people to localize a name, and you could end up with ten different options. We expect and completely accept that other people aren't always going to agree with our choices, and only ask that people extend us the same understanding.

Yeah, just look at the old Witch and the Hundred Knight thread title...it was "Witch and the Hundred Soldiers/Calvalrymen/Shriner" didn't even mention "Knight" :lol:

Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Seventh » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:01 pm

I still don't get why it's Knight and not Knights, though admittedly I haven't been following it lately.

Return to “Fairy Fencer F”