Taking a second look at Fairy Fencer F

Official forum of this turn-based RPG for the PS3
Chrisc78
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal

Taking a second look at Fairy Fencer F

Postby Chrisc78 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:54 am

Ever since Fairy Fencer F got licensed I was saying the gameplay looks a lot like Hyperdimension Neptunia. One of the things I like the most in Hyperdimension Neptunia is the fact that all the characters are female. So what are something's I might like in Fairy Fencer F? or are the two games the same, just have different storys and characters?

One major question I have, is it like Hyperdimension Neptunia and use all the characters in battle when you get to that point in the story?

xizro345
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Re: Taking a second look at Fairy Fencer F

Postby xizro345 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:21 am

It's kind of different, actually, characters come and go depening on the story, and also they don't level up if they're not in party unless you activate a certain ability.
The story is kind of different, it has some funny parts but is also serious.
Depends on what you're expecting to see, I guess.

metlspaz
Netherworld Count
Netherworld Count

Postby metlspaz » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:36 pm

so it's like legend of heroes where you get stuck with certain characters at certain times?
or can people permanently join once certain events happen?

The_Dood_Abides
Demon Lord
Demon Lord

Postby The_Dood_Abides » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:09 pm

The gameplay is similar to the battle system in Hyperdimension Neptunia, with some additional tweaks. So you can do cool stuff like launch an enemy into the air with one attack in your combo sequence, then slam them back down to ground with a follow up attack. Also, exploiting enemy weapon weaknesses can trigger what's called an Avalanche Attack, which allows every member of your active battle party to gang up on a single enemy without wasting a turn. Finally, each character has a unique special command that only they can use. For example, Fang can increase his damage output by 50% for the duration of the battle, but his basic attacks will cost a small amount of SP, and his skills and magic will have 50% increased SP costs. Tiara can put up a barrier that greatly reduces incoming damage, but she can't perform any other commands while the barrier is up.

You can only have three characters active in battle at a time, but you can spend a turn to swap one character out for another. There are a total of 9 playable characters, 7 of which you acquire during a normal playthrough, while the other 2 can only be recruited if you fulfill specific requirements.

Over the course of the game, you'll be collecting weapons called Furies that each have a fairy residing in them. Though you can't wield these Furies like conventional weaponry, you can equip the fairies residing in them to your characters to give them additional stat boosts and passive abilities. You can also literally stab Furies you haven't equipped to your characters into the world map to provide passive effects within dungeons, such as increasing or decreasing specific stats, EXP, Gold, and item drop rates. You can also produce unique effects, such as changing what monsters appear inside a dungeon, or doubling all SP costs across the board. The game gives you a lot of freedom of customization to make the game as easy or as difficult as you want. There's also a giant tower in the middle of the world map where you can fight battles for specific rewards. The height of this tower and the potential rewards vary depending on how many Furies you've stabbed into the world map, so you're strongly encouraged to hunt for them all.

Tonally, the story has a similar lighthearted feel as the Neptunia series, though it does have some serious moments. Though this game does have male characters (as well as Pippin), don't let that dissuade you. If you're a fan of Compile Heart RPGs and are curious to see their first foray into a more traditional fantasy JRPG setting, I strongly recommend picking it up :)
Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Rednal
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Rednal » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:56 am

Pippin is quite interesting, isn't he? :lol: Thanks for the in-depth explanation, and I'm really looking forward to the release of this game!
PSN: LordRednal / Twitter: @Rednal29 ] Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/rednal29

SpeedPunk
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby SpeedPunk » Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:24 pm

Random question, but what does the "F" stand for ._.
NISA - Censoring games cuz they can...

Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Seventh » Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:02 pm

SpeedPunk wrote:Random question, but what does the "F" stand for ._.

There might be an official reason, but I'm guessing/saying it's a very subtle reference to Kamen Rider 555/Faiz. The writer of that is this game's writer and one of the cast members is in this as a voice.

Even if it isn't why, and it probably isn't, t is for me. :geek:

Alice Twilight
Netherworld Marquis
Netherworld Marquis

Postby Alice Twilight » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:37 am

I watched the second trailer and this game looks like a re-skinned Victory, even some of the animations look the same, especially after they've finished doing a Super move or whatever it's called.

Sorcery Saga restored my faith in Compile Heart but this game looks like it was made quick and cheap
I should be expecting the Tulip enemy, Factory level from Mk 2 and various other things probably from Trinity Universe too, right?

chouchou's peon
Netherworld Archduke
Netherworld Archduke

Postby chouchou's peon » Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:53 pm

Alice Twilight wrote:I should be expecting the Tulip enemy, Factory level from Mk 2 and various other things probably from Trinity Universe too, right?

I haven't gotten far in the JP version of this game, but there's no Tulip enemy here. Fighting cute little flowers probably doesn't fit this this game's style as the other lighthearted RPGs they make.

There's definitely a lot of new monsters in the beginning but the hornet and giant eagle enemies are a few enemies I recognized from Compile Heart's previous games.
Sigs by ShadowJetX
Sig by Teddie Sage

Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Seventh » Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:21 pm

Alice Twilight wrote:Sorcery Saga restored my faith in Compile Heart but this game looks like it was made quick and cheap
I should be expecting the Tulip enemy, Factory level from Mk 2 and various other things probably from Trinity Universe too, right?

What little I played of So-Sorcery Saga was, well, not nearly as impressive as any Neptunia title - likewise, it wasn't fully a CH game either.

In any case, this being the first Galapagos title and having a lot of big name titles on the staff probably makes it less cheap than, say, Neptunia. To that end, it took the place of that year's Neptunia title anyway.

Return to “Fairy Fencer F”