Totori VS. Rorona?

Official Atelier Totori Discussion Forum

Totori VS. Rorona?

Postby Ellipsis » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:07 pm

I was playing Rorona at a place I was staying at and got pulled in to it's charm, so today I went to the store and since Rorona wasn't there I got Totori, and figured I may as well try it.

Those of you who've played both, did I make the right descision, or should I get Rorona as well?

Also, discuss pro's and Con's for each
Ellipsis
Geo Master
Geo Master

Re: Totori VS. Rorona?

Postby vampko » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:08 pm

If you can, get Rorona as well. It really helps the experience on Totori if you play Rorona first.
AniList (no need to reg to view)
[06:46:27] <Solice> you're like dealing with a bag of rabid cats
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
vampko
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Postby SaturnineTenshi » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:11 pm

Totori is better in every way. I'd only suggest playing Rorona first for two reasons:

• It's better to play the less-advanced title first; otherwise, you'll be dealing with aged conventions.
  • Totori does reference Rorona.
"He had warned them it clogged reason; they had reasoned they had no reason."
STEAM | "An argument in favor of double yandere love."
SaturnineTenshi
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Ellipsis » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:14 pm

SaturnineTenshi wrote:Totori is better in every way. I'd only suggest playing Rorona first for two reasons:

• It's better to play the less-advanced title first; otherwise, you'll be dealing with aged conventions.
  • Totori does reference Rorona.

Well I've played some of Rorona, so I've been introduced to some of the characters and know the basic mechanics, so I guess if I had the money I'd buy it, but I don't
Ellipsis
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby myskaros » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:53 pm

Rorona pros: predecessor, objectives laid out for you, everything can die to a good bomb
Rorona cons: older, illusion of less freedom, weird load time problems (container, requests)

Totori pros: newer, more freedom, streamlined battle and alchemy
Totori cons: bombs can't kill everything :( less direction means it's easier to miss invisible benchmarks

PS3 Atelier series cons: weird loading bugs and freezes. Save often!
myskaros
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby ShadowJetX » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:14 pm

myskaros wrote:PS3 Atelier series cons: weird loading bugs and freezes. Save often!

I'm not sure what the whole dealio is, but I've only had the Totori freeze on me once, and that was when I loaded up the game the very first time... while it was loading up at the very start.

Other then that, I always save spam before I alchemize and go out to explore. Wish Totori had a feature where you could save when your out and about (of course such a feature becomes pretty useless later on though with certain items ya'know).
ShadowJetX
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby LAMV » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:56 pm

ShadowJetX wrote:
myskaros wrote:PS3 Atelier series cons: weird loading bugs and freezes. Save often!

I'm not sure what the whole dealio is, but I've only had the Totori freeze on me once, and that was when I loaded up the game the very first time... while it was loading up at the very start.

Other then that, I always save spam before I alchemize and go out to explore. Wish Totori had a feature where you could save when your out and about (of course such a feature becomes pretty useless later on though with certain items ya'know).

Totori is less prone to freezing than Rorona was, but it can still happen. Especially when you're doing the Spring Cup trick.

Also, you can save on the world map.
LAMV
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby ShadowJetX » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:53 pm

LAMV wrote:Also, you can save on the world map.

DID NOT KNOW THIS TILL NOW.
ShadowJetX
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:19 am

ShadowJetX wrote:
LAMV wrote:Also, you can save on the world map.

DID NOT KNOW THIS TILL NOW.

Does no one pay attention to the tuts? :lol:
AniList (no need to reg to view)
[06:46:27] <Solice> you're like dealing with a bag of rabid cats
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
vampko
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Postby raspberrylicious » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:04 pm

@Freezes: Atelier Totori never freezed for me, but Rorona freezed once before the last scene in the game. ;_;
Tumblr | Anime List | Visual Novel List | 3DS FC: 3781-0258-9209 | Miiverse: raspbear
Black★Gold Saw ♥
raspberrylicious
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Mlada » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:33 pm

I had both games freeze, but Totori seemed less proned to it. I only suffered freezes from when I played the game way too long for one sitting or when I did the spring cup trick too fast...In Rorona it was with synthesizing, leaving town, or just leaving the Atelier building.

Honestly, there was a charm with Rorona that I loved more, but I think that's mainly because I've lately been into games that were much more relaxed and not revolving around anything epic. Totori doesn't get too epic or anything, so I still loved it. Honestly, I can see the higher appeal in Totori though, so I think you made a good decision in getting that one. But I agree, if you get the chance, get Rorona. Go ahead and play Totori first since you know what to expect with Rorona, but there may be a few character plotlines that may either be a *slight* spoiler or you'll be in Totori's position during these events and be remotely lost (you'll know what I mean if you see a scene focused on the Rorona cast)...but none of it ruins the gameplay of the first one if I'm not mistaken...
Mlada
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby Shizuka » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:17 pm

As much as I really loved Totori, loved the story, the environment, Rorona still takes my top place (even if I said otherwise in the past).
Shizuka
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Postby myskaros » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:52 pm

Regardless of how often freezes occur between Totori and Rorona, I think the bottom line is that most other games don't freeze at all >_>

Totori tends to freeze when you spam buttons. I've had it happen when I had Warp Gate as my first item and I was warping to Alanya. I just hit Triangle, spam X, and then I get stuck forever loading. I had it happen once while using quick travel on the world map too; got a random battle, Melvie was stuck running in place, and when I had her attack the game just stuck like that. Haven't had it happen with Spring Cups yet, but that's usually because I have to navigate to it, and then I don't click on water/milk. *shrug*

The key point is that both Rorona and Totori have known instances of freezing. Whether or not it's a high chance, it would suck if the one time it happened was when you hadn't saved in a while.
myskaros
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Ellipsis » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:00 pm

Thanks everyone! As for the freezing, my PS3 isn't prone to freezing at all, but I'll make sure to be save friendly. And if I see Rorona anywhere I may as well get it too then ^^
Ellipsis
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby Mlada » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:10 am

myskaros wrote:Regardless of how often freezes occur between Totori and Rorona, I think the bottom line is that most other games don't freeze at all >_>

Not true...Homefront, any Idea Factory game, any NISA game from what I can recall for the PS3, and a few PS1 games played on the PS3 (which I don't really count) are the ones I've encountered alone. I'm sure there's more. That said, it only tends to happen to me when I play for a really long sitting.

That's actually the most common glitch I can find, so as long as I save often, I don't even get remotely upset when it happens.
Mlada
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Next

Return to Atelier Totori