Totori VS. Rorona?

Official Atelier Totori Discussion Forum

Re: Totori VS. Rorona?

Postby myskaros » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:46 am

Let me rephrase then: the general expectation is that games you buy should not freeze. In the case of Rorona and Totori, many people have reported freezes occurring after the same set of actions, so it would pay to be extra careful by saving often.

@Mlada: If your experience is that many games freeze, my condolences. In my extensive gaming experience on many different games and platforms, I have only actually been concerned with freezes in Rorona and Totori; other games have maybe happened once in the entire time I played it and never again.

If you get freezes often enough to not make you upset, then I'd have to say the industry is really setting some low expectations... I don't have a ton of other PS3 games, but I have certainly played many of them for long (8+ hr) sessions without any problems.
myskaros
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:53 am

The funny thing is...I experience freezes. But Totori and Rorona were games that experienced less freezes than other games I played :lol:
My AniList (no need to reg to view) PSN Trophy account
[06:46:27] <Solice> you're like dealing with a bag of rabid cats
vampko
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Postby Mlada » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:06 pm

myskaros wrote:Let me rephrase then: the general expectation is that games you buy should not freeze. In the case of Rorona and Totori, many people have reported freezes occurring after the same set of actions, so it would pay to be extra careful by saving often.

@Mlada: If your experience is that many games freeze, my condolences. In my extensive gaming experience on many different games and platforms, I have only actually been concerned with freezes in Rorona and Totori; other games have maybe happened once in the entire time I played it and never again.

If you get freezes often enough to not make you upset, then I'd have to say the industry is really setting some low expectations... I don't have a ton of other PS3 games, but I have certainly played many of them for long (8+ hr) sessions without any problems.

I never had glitch problems ever until this current generation of consoles. PS1, no freezing. PS2, no freezing. Sega Genesis, some, but that's only because my cable was fidgity, but it was easily fixed. Game Gear, nothing. Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance, PSP, DS...nothing. PS3 and 360...more times than I should tolerate, but I sadly got used to it.

@Vampko - Actually, I had really no problems with Totori freezing except when I was doing the Spring Cup deal, and when I stopped taking everything from the cup as opposed to just the Dark Dew and the Sea Foam (I think that's what it's called...the second most expensive liquid I mean), problem solved. Which I think all in all was only twice. Rorona happened 3 or maybe four times in all my time playing it, and I've played it at least three times, although I think it was four.

Compared to any Idea Factory game, it was frickin frequent. Homefront had a well known freezing glitch that was crippling. I watched my husband try to get past a certain point of the game over 5 times, and somehow he bypassed it. With Rorona and Totori, as long as you don't do things way too fast or play way too long, you may never experience it (unless the PS3 is on the verge of dying). In Homefront, nearly everyone experiences it at some point, but not always at the same place, and the only way to get passed it is to keep trying over and over again and hope the console can load it eventually.

That said, I hear about so many people experiencing the yellow light deal with the PS3...never experienced it, and I have an older PS3 model. I had one Red Ring of Death on the 360, but I let the console rest a while, and *knock on wood* it works just fine. Maybe it's because the longest casual sitting I tend to have is roughly 4 hours (I don't have time to do a lot of 8+hr sittings), and sure enough, when I had Rorona, the few days where I'd play for 10+hrs in one sitting on a weekend, a freeze might occur, but a reset would make it all better.

So yeah, it's sad I've gotten used to freezing glitches now, but to me, as long as it's not crippling like Homefront's deal, I'm okay with it. Unless it's frequent like X-Edge, then I just get irritated.
Mlada
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby ShadowJetX » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:16 pm

Mlada wrote:Unless it's frequent like X-Edge, then I just get irritated.

I've never had X-Edge freeze on me, but man did it feel like it took forever to load some things. Though the game had worse problems then freezing or overly long load times.
ShadowJetX
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Mlada » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:22 pm

Hmm...I wonder why I experienced it so much on X-Edge...though I'll agree that wasn't the worse problem with that game...LOL

It might be a button pressing deal, because I have a horrible tendency to press buttons while nothing is going on...don't know why...But that would make sense...LOL
Mlada
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby ShadowJetX » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:37 pm

Mlada wrote:Hmm...I wonder why I experienced it so much on X-Edge...though I'll agree that wasn't the worse problem with that game...LOL

It might be a button pressing deal, because I have a horrible tendency to press buttons while nothing is going on...don't know why...But that would make sense...LOL

You should see how much I mash the R2 and L2 buttons because it feels good. I also have after market trigger extenders so it feels even more right. But besides all that, only Totori has froze on me, and I don't even know why.
ShadowJetX
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby myskaros » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:26 am

Somewhat off topic, but this short passage reflects (with more emotion than I have) my thoughts on the current gaming industry... :X

http://kotaku.com/5878424/are-we-too-fo ... developers
myskaros
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby SaturnineTenshi » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:35 am

"He had warned them it clogged reason; they had reasoned they had no reason."
STEAM | A GLIMPSE OF MADNESS, RUIN, AUTUMN
SaturnineTenshi
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Mlada » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:21 am

Well there are some things that I may be too forgiving for, but if it's only cosmetic problems or problems that are not game crippling, I could care less since I'm fluent with imagination...LOL...Now, if the game is freezing like Homefront where you have to try, try again while praying to get passed it, that's different. The Raki glitch in AT2 was pretty bad, but then again, I thought it was incredibly easy to bypass, but maybe that's just me.

Yes, I think the game developers need to go back to actually testing their games, because some of it seems too easy to miss (meaning they're not testing it or they have someone claiming they're testing it but aren't really trying to find glitches)...But what I think the person that wrote that article forgot to factor in is that making a game for three different consoles isn't entirely the same process...things run differently on all of them, so what may run great on one may need to be tweeked on another...I don't see why the guy had a problem with mods on PC games though, because without having that capability, we as fans would never be able to see something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bifmj1O3D24

RIP Macho Man
Mlada
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby SaturnineTenshi » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:40 am

I didn't read the article, Mlada (being a Kotaku article), but anyone that has a problem with mods probably isn't worth reading anyway.
SaturnineTenshi
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Mlada » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:08 am

SaturnineTenshi wrote:I didn't read the article, Mlada (being a Kotaku article), but anyone that has a problem with mods probably isn't worth reading anyway.

You have a problem with Kotaku? I'm asking because I really don't know much about that site any...should I be wary of their articles? Does it usually revolve around whiny fanboys/fangirls like this guy seems to be? LOL
Mlada
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby myskaros » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:15 am

Whether or not you like Kotaku, that article was just a reaction piece by a random user.

In a nutshell, his complaint is that gamers these days are too forgiving of games and game developers. Before widespread Internet connectivity, it would be unheard of for a game to ship with reproducable freezes or other game-breaking glitches. If I remember correctly, Ar Tonelico 2's last boss produces an integer overflow error, causing it to be nigh unbeatable on the PS2 (I hear the PS3 is able to process it).

As someone who has worked in a software development environment for the last 4ish years, I know where I work that it would not fly to let bugs go unfixed, and they get fixed as soon as they're reported. I work in a drastically different industry, but I don't think that should excuse game developers, or any software developers, from putting their products through as much, if not more, scrutiny.
myskaros
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby SaturnineTenshi » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:22 am

It's more of a "lol r u journalism rly?" thing. They claim to be professional journalists until they blunder—and they do often. At that point: "We're only bloggers!" And the website has really turned into a Gawker hit-engine in the last year or so. Most of their news is non-news or sensationalist with skewed or omitted information to support better hits. Then there are the articles plainly devised (especially those on sexism or Japanese gaming) to rouse the readers and generate hits in the same way as the other stuff. It's really just a big mess when you can go to other websites for real news/articles.

That isn't me telling you not to visit. I'm just giving my opinion on the website since you asked.
SaturnineTenshi
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Mlada » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:31 am

Ah gotcha...I was just curious since I haven't read really any other articles from them besides this one. I admit, I have a lack of fondness for places like that, given my father was a journalist, so I kind of grew up knowing that news articles shouldn't be biased or opinionated. A good article should just state all the possible facts and leave it up to the reader to take a stance on it.

So in a way, it's a Yahoo of gaming news...LOL

I guess Myskaros is right though, because I'm trying to think back to older games, and there never used to be a programming glitch with games at all...I'm also trying to think back on my first times of dealing with the glitches, and I guess I used to be mad with freezing glitches too back then.
Mlada
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby SaturnineTenshi » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:35 am

I wouldn't say it was unheard of, as there were some damn buggy games out there. I will agree that we (using the term to represent gamers and not myself) are too forgiving. There have been some damn caustic bugs out there recently that could not have been missed with proper QA.

Much of this can be blamed on the producers for forcing games out unfinished and imposing poor work conditions/hours on their employees.
SaturnineTenshi
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

PreviousNext

Return to Atelier Totori