Will I understand the game?

The official former Cross "something" Discussion Forum
pn140
Vassal
Vassal

Will I understand the game?

Postby pn140 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:08 pm

problem is I only played AI, MK 2, and AT, so I don't know any character from other games. Is this going to ruin the game??
same question for Trinity Universe :)

Shizuka
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Re: Will I understand the game?

Postby Shizuka » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:17 pm

Both games (Cross Edge and Trinity Universe) introduct other games characters on their own way, relevant to the game, without really mentioning what the characters did on their own games, but you'll be able to understand without any deep knowledge on the characters.

If you feel like you need to understand the characters before playing the game, just do a research on the internet and read about the characters, you won't have to play the games.

Daverost
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Daverost » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:44 am

You'll be fine, but I highly suggest you go play some Disgaea games, namely 1 and 3. They're excellent.
I never got my avatars.
Still holding my breath for the other Marl Kingdom games.

Ar Tonelico
Netherworld Count
Netherworld Count

Postby Ar Tonelico » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:38 am

Luckily you don't have to worry about that. If you did need to have previous knowledge of all the games each character is from, no one in America or Europe would buy it because of Marie from Atelier Marie as well as Trinity Universe's Violet from Atelier Violet since no one has brought those games to America or Europe yet.

AsukaNeumaki
Netherworld Count
Netherworld Count

Postby AsukaNeumaki » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:28 pm

No it won't when I played this the only characters I knew were Etna, Prinny, Morgan, Lillith, Dimitri, and Jedah and I think maybe one more but I don't think I did. Didn't affect the game for me at all has I focused more on York, Miko, Troy and the other original characters more then the one's from other games.
ImageImageImage

BludgeonedRose
New Vassal
New Vassal

Postby BludgeonedRose » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:53 am

Cross Edge isn't hard to understand at all, apart from the fact that some characters aren't able to attack enemies sometimes. Word of advice though, don't buy too much DLC, because it makes the game really satisfying, but boring as well. The game isn't bad, but it isn't good either, so I wouldn't reccommend it to people who don't love Turn Based RPG'S.
When the seagulls cry, there are no survivors.Image

BludgeonedRose
New Vassal
New Vassal

Postby BludgeonedRose » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:58 am

Damn, spoke too soon.
Here's the explanation for the characters.
Characters such as York and Miko are exclusive characters to this game, and so is May, Vivi, Cece, Mimi, Judas, Troy, Raizen, Anesha, Lazarus and Augustine.
Characters such as Morrigan and Etna are from different games, hence the name "Cross Edge"
If you don't know all of the characters from different games, you're not really missing out on the story of Cross Edge.
When the seagulls cry, there are no survivors.Image

Ar Tonelico
Netherworld Count
Netherworld Count

Postby Ar Tonelico » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:35 am

BludgeonedRose wrote:Damn, spoke too soon.
Here's the explanation for the characters.
Characters such as York and Miko are exclusive characters to this game, and so is May, Vivi, Cece, Mimi, Judas, Troy, Raizen, Anesha, Lazarus and Augustine.
Characters such as Morrigan and Etna are from different games, hence the name "Cross Edge"
If you don't know all of the characters from different games, you're not really missing out on the story of Cross Edge.

Well the issue I think the OP was having is that since Cross Edge, Trinity Universe, and I guess you can count Hyperdimension Neptunia for being crossovers, that you would have to play the games where the characters come from to understand these crossover games. But since the story is all original, having these characters in the game, doesn't make much of a difference since there isn't really any story spoilers for their games they come from.

You can really just treat these crossover characters as like cameos who help out a new, original story that has nothing to do with the games they are from. But for those who already played the original games they are from, it's mostly just fan-service to see a few of your favorite characters and seeing them in a different game.

RoronasLover
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal

Postby RoronasLover » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:12 am

Miko is awesome beyond all words.

OverlordG
Netherworld Count
Netherworld Count

Postby OverlordG » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:16 pm

Good to know. I wasn't worried about previous knowledge as I know most of the cameo characters. Still, it's good news that lack of knowledge on the cameo characters won't affect plot enjoyment at all.
Blog: http://yurination.wordpress.com/

Twitter: @YuriAmbassador

Return to “Cross E... that is no longer”