Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc (Vita) ♥ Available Now!

The ultimate forum for the ultimate fans of the ultimate game series!

Re: DanganRonpa: Trigger Happy Havoc (Vita) by NISA!

Postby Beedlebud » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:47 pm

SuperNipah wrote:Houk, I'm very, VERY happy that NISA is bringing this game over. Ecstatic, even! There's just one thing that's bugging me a bit.

Looking at the website and the titles that the students have there, are you really going to translate Yamada's title as "fatty"? I mean, he is fat and all, but that's not what his title is...

The website's up?? *dashes*

"Affluent Progeny" Lol.

But yeah..."fatty" is...wat?
FC:4639-9111-9400 NNID: Xitara
Beedlebud
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby SuperNipah » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:01 pm

The other titles work fine (though I'm not super fond of Moral Compass for Ishimaru, I can live with it). It's just that Yamada is supposed to be a guy who makes doujin, and "fatty" doesn't really reflect that.
SuperNipah
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby Houk » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:06 pm

His title on the Japanese website was "Debu" (which basically means "fat person") even though that's not his actual title in the game, so for the English version we decided to go with the same approach.

The in-game titles haven't been finalized, but just like all the others, his will be a faithful localization of his original Japanese title.
Houk
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Beedlebud » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:09 pm

Houk wrote:His title on the Japanese website was "Debu" (which basically means "fat person") even though that's not his actual title in the game, so for the English version we decided to go with the same approach.

The in-game titles haven't been finalized, but just like all the others, his will be a faithful localization of his original Japanese title.

Oh I stand corrected. Sorry.
Beedlebud
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Jacques » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:28 pm

Houk wrote:His title on the Japanese website was "Debu" (which basically means "fat person") even though that's not his actual title in the game, so for the English version we decided to go with the same approach.

I'm sorry for this to be my first post, but...

On the Japanese site, his title is "OTAKU", as seen here: http://www.danganronpa.com/1/
Even on his profile is "debu" nowhere to be found. I also looked on Reload's site, and there is nothing there either.
Even if it's not going to be his title, going out of your way to insult something like that isn't very professional.
Jacques
Peon
Peon

Postby draconianlaw » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:14 pm

Wait just a minute there!

The site you are using as evidence... is clearly not the same as the one NIS has put up! You could argue that they just removed the code for all the stuff at the side... but why remove the animation on the color bursts behind every student! That would likely be be a lot more work to do!

The way I see it, Spike must have given them the code to a much older version of the site, from back when it was just being teased in japan. They may have not have yet had the finalized english versions of the titles you see now on the official site. It's entirely possible 'Debu' was the term they were using for Yamada at the time!

(That being said, it probably would be best if you guys could just update the site to something like otaku, nerd or geek. It doesn't have to be whatever you finalize the title to, but it'll help quell some of the anger caused by 'fatty' being up there in the first place.)
draconianlaw
Peon
Peon

Postby ArmedDragoon » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:14 pm

It's Yamada, who cares? Nobody likes Yamada.

/court is adjourned
Neogaf wrote:In my opinion the main creative heads behind such games are undoubtedly pedophiles. There's no doubt in my mind. Having them lose money doesn't bother me at all.
ArmedDragoon
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby despair » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:35 pm

Whether anyone likes the character is irrelevant. (And also wrong, there are loads of people who actually really like Yamada.)
Calling him 'Fatty' is only making his entire existence a fat joke, when he has more facets to him than that.

It's nice to hear that that's not going to be his in-game title, because being fat isn't a talent and shouldn't even be made as a joke. It's 2013, like come on, y'know? But it's getting a lot of negative feedback from fans of the game, and even people who don't care for it are getting upset about 'Fatty."
despair
Peon
Peon

Postby ArmedDragoon » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:46 pm

It's a joke, I'm aware of what Yamada's character is. I was going to bring up a pretty big grievance if that was actually going to be his in-game title, but since it's not it means less than nothing, I'm pretty sure that Ishimaru isn't a "Moral Compass". Where is this "lot of negative feedback", anyway?
Neogaf wrote:In my opinion the main creative heads behind such games are undoubtedly pedophiles. There's no doubt in my mind. Having them lose money doesn't bother me at all.
ArmedDragoon
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby Rednal » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:49 pm

:? A small handful of people online, I guess?
PSN: LordRednal / Twitter: @Rednal29
Spoiler:
Rednal
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby anonymouse » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:55 pm

There is a thread at viewtopic.php?f=8&t=12612 where people, myself included, have gone more into detail about the issues with Yamada's website title being 'fatty'. I understand that some may think it's not a big deal, but I respectfully disagree.
anonymouse
New Vassal
New Vassal

Postby ArmedDragoon » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:58 pm

Hoo boy, I should have expected the droves of Dangan Ronpa fans to sign up and start nitpicking the localization, and they've managed to exceed my expectations.
ArmedDragoon
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby Beedlebud » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:01 pm

I'm excited, it's been awhile since we've had new people :)
Beedlebud
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby anonymouse » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:02 pm

I personally am not nitpicking the localization. From what I've seen of it so far, I like what they've done. I have a problem with the term 'fatty'.

Also, isn't this forum meant to be about feedback? NISA can disregard feedback or take it into account, whichever they choose, but the point of this thread is to give them feedback and criticism, is it not?
anonymouse
New Vassal
New Vassal

Postby Rednal » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:03 pm

Of course. Because there's no possible way that the official translation from a team of professionals could possibly be better than (or at least equal to) a fan-work, right? :lol:

Original Japanese > Unofficial Fanwork > Official Translation. For some people.
PSN: LordRednal / Twitter: @Rednal29
Spoiler:
Rednal
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

PreviousNext

Return to Danganronpa™ + Danganronpa™ 2