Recommendations for more games like Demon Gaze

Gaze for long into a demon, the demon will gaze back into you...
Sad Ferret
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal

Recommendations for more games like Demon Gaze

Postby Sad Ferret » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:29 am

I love first person grid-based RPGs. I buy almost all that get released for the sake of support, so I've gone through quite a few of them. Some are great, some are good, some are... not so good.

Here's my list of recommendations for those who have developed a taste for gridders, but don't know where to go next. This is by no means a comprehensive list. It includes games I've either played myself, or have been praised a lot by others. I have not included games that are either legally unavailable, or so old that they would be extremely hard to get into for someone who doesn't have that much experience with gridders.

PSP (Vita compatible)

-Elminage: Original. The reviews were very poor because the localization was terrible. The problems were fixed in a later patch, so feel free to ignore the review scores. E:O is actually a terrific Wizardry clone.

-Class of Heroes 2. This game suffered from the bad reputation of the first game in the series, but everyone seems to agree the second game is heaps better than the first one, and quite a good Wizardry-like. It's also getting a PS3 version.

DS/3DS

-Etrian Odyssey series. The general consensus is that you can skip the first game (play the remake for the 3DS instead). The newer ones are more newbie-friendly.

-Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey. I can't say much about this one since I haven't played it, except that it's gotten good reviews and it has a futuristic setting.

-Orcs & Elves. Unlike all the games above, this is not a Wizardry-like. It's much more streamlined, and it doesn't have random encounters (you can see the monsters in the dungeon). A very short, but fun little snack.

iPhone/iPod

-Doom 2 RPG. Made by the same guys as the previous game on the list, so it's very similar. Surprisingly very good.

-Undercroft. Fairly similar to the two games above. Very good, and completely FREE!

PC

-Legend of Grimrock. Not a Wizardry-like but a Dungeon Master-like, which means it has less emphasis on character building and more on puzzles. Real-time combat. If you like these things, this game is highly recommended.

-Lands of Lore: The Throne of Chaos. Like the game above, it's a Dungeon Master clone. An oldie, but still pretty and very easy to get into. Perfect for newbies as well. You can buy this from http://www.gog.com.

-Might and Magic 3-5. Turn-based combat, no random encounters, open sandbox world. The puzzles come in the form of riddles, not environmental puzzles like in Dungeon Master clones. The emphasis is on exploration. These are very old games, but they have aged surprisingly well and are some of the finest gridders available. Definitely recommended. You can buy the Might and Magic 6-pack, which includes these games, from http://www.gog.com.

-Might & Magic X: Legacy. Same as the older MM games above, but a whole lot prettier since it came out this year. Generally considered a worthy sequel and an addictively fun old-skool gridder.

Shizuka
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Re: Recommendations for more games like Demon Gaze

Postby Shizuka » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:26 pm

How could you not mention Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls for the PS3? That's one of the best recent DRPGs.

Sad Ferret
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal

Postby Sad Ferret » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:31 pm

Shizuka wrote:How could you not mention Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls for the PS3? That's one of the best recent DRPGs.

Because I haven't played it myself and don't have a personal opinion on it, and the general opinion seems to be that it's not good.

Shizuka
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Postby Shizuka » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:34 pm

Trust me, it's great. You should rally give it a try ASAP.

lopez
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Postby lopez » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:42 pm

The main one's I can wholeheartedly recommend would be:

Etrian Odyssey III - some of the best synergy between classes and the best of the 2D DRPGs.

Etrian Odyssey IV - hands down the best DRPG out there in the West. Excellent music, great class options, great visuals and enjoyable for both newcomers and vets alike (vets get their hard battles post-game).

Everything else can be fun, but there are usually a few key mechanics that can make it or break it for some people.

Unchained Blades - suffered from the minion system.

Class of Heroes 1/2 - no exploration music and no real direction in-game. Also the class/race system was too complex for its own good.

Strange Journey - overly preachy story and bad pacing (among story driven DRPGs).

Dorarnae
Majin
Majin

Postby Dorarnae » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:51 am

They finally finished the translation with Generation xth code hazard.(fan translation)
here what it looks like a little: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RBcsvQ6hto

I am not sure if it requires the japanese game to play it but here the link to download it:
http://kudomuramasa.foramu.net/f3-code- ... discussion

It seems the game can crash a few time, so I suggest to save often...

Shizuka
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Postby Shizuka » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:35 am

Where would you rank Millennium Girl, lopez?

lopez
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Postby lopez » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:10 am

I completely forgot about that game. It's enjoyable, but the story mode is nothing to write home about. It's more "slice of life" in design than anything.

The classes are all the same (from EOI) and the skills have been rebalanced (no OP Medic skill anymore). The Grimoire system is interesting on paper, but the application feels more luck-based than anything. It's really hard to make good grimoire stones, even with items that affect creation. The 2 new classes (really just the Highlander, since the Gunner is from EOII) are fun to use and help with the group's synergy. Actually, on that point, class synergy as a whole is probably the weakest out of the series. Nothing really meshes well with anything else and some classes (survivor) are almost useless mid-late game.

Overall, I would recommend it, but EOIV and EOIII are still the better games, overall. Millennium Girl is modeled after the worst EO game, IMO, so that didn't help it.

Shizuka
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Postby Shizuka » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:50 am

Should I start with EOIV or EOU?

lopez
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Postby lopez » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:15 pm

EOIV.

Forget about Millennium Girl.

Shizuka
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Postby Shizuka » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:54 pm

Alright, will do... After Demon Gaze.

lopez
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Postby lopez » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:24 pm

I really wish Unchained Blades sold better in the West. From what I've read the 2nd game made numerous improvements to UB1, especially the minion system :(

Shizuka
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Postby Shizuka » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:45 pm

lopez wrote:I really wish Unchained Blades sold better in the West. From what I've read the 2nd game made numerous improvements to UB1, especially the minion system :(

I think the first game sold as expected, but something else came up and refrained XSEED from pursuing the second game.

lopez
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Postby lopez » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:14 pm

Tom or whoever from Xseed made it seem like the Furyu partnership boat has sailed on... :(

Shizuka
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Postby Shizuka » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:24 pm

lopez wrote:Tom or whoever from Xseed made it seem like the Furyu partnership boat has sailed on... :(

Thought so. Too bad, but they have lots of other great games to keep them occupied for now.

Return to “Demon Gaze”