Criminal Girls official info thread (read this first)

They're criminals. They're girls. They're criminal girls!
Houk
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Criminal Girls official info thread (read this first)

Postby Houk » Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:19 pm

So, lots of people have had questions/concerns about the decisions we've made in localizing the title. While I have made some statements myself about the changes we're making, HERE is our official statement as a company. Whatever I may have personally said, you can consider this our company's definitive position.

Here are some common questions I've heard, so please look this over before posting.

Q: Did you make these changes based on one specific region? If so, why not just release different versions in different regions?
A: No, these changes are not based on one region. We made our decision after talking with EVERY region's rating board and getting feedback from each one. So different versions isn't an option in this case regardless, and more generally speaking, different versions for different regions is incredibly cost-prohibitive for a company our size, and so isn't a great option overall.

Q: Can you release an unedited DLC pack for each region later?
A: No. Any DLC that may change a game's rating must be evaluated separately, and if it does get a higher rating, the main game will also gain that rating retroactively.

Q: Was this decision actually made to appeal to a wider audience?
A: No. We made only the changes we felt were necessary in order to release the game at all in each region. If you hear us refer to "reaching a wider audience" it's because if we can't release a game in a given region, then we aren't reaching that audience.

Q: Do you honestly believe the changes were necessary? I heard that the ESRB/PEGI/OFLC doesn't actually care about this kind of content.
A: We can't comment about the information other people have or haven't gotten from individual rating boards. We were in touch with the rating boards ourselves and made our decision accordingly. It's up to you to decide if you believe us or not, but we've said all there is to say on that subject.

Q: Can you tell me exactly what each region said, what their problems were with the content, etc.?
A: Unfortunately, no. We've released as much information as possible regarding our discussions with the rating boards. There's nothing more for us to say on that topic.

Q: What about this other game that seems to have much worse content? If game X was okay, shouldn't this one be okay?
A: Since we weren't involved with games from any other company, we can't comment on their ratings or content. You would have to discuss that with the rating boards that actually reviewed them, or the companies that released them. We can only make decisions based on our direct discussions with the rating boards.

Q: Why not just submit the final, unedited version of the game to each rating board, and if they have issues, change it then?
A: Getting a game rated is one of the last things we do in the localization process. We can't get an official rating until the game has been fully translated and programmed for a Western release, which is also when we begin debugging the game (QA). Due to the time it takes to get a rating, we sometimes don't get all regional ratings until near the end of QA. If we were to get a rating that prevented us from releasing the game at this point, it would have a huge effect on the schedule of not only that game, but every project we have lined up after it. The game would have to be reprogrammed and retested, which while it may not sound like much trouble...very much is. For a company of our size, this simply isn't feasible. This is precisely why we contacted the boards ahead of time - it was a decision that had to be made well in advance of submission.

Q: It seems like your edits are pretty minor. If that's all you had to edit, why did you have to make any changes at all?
A: Based on our discussions with the rating boards, these were the main content items that might have been potentially problematic. Sometimes, it's not 100% all the way a problem, but rather just enough of an issue that a small change is enough to remove the problem. We felt that although these changes might seem minor, they were enough to prevent any possible problems for the final release.

If anyone has any other questions that aren't addressed here, I'll be happy to add them. I'll try to keep up on the thread, but other than this original post and any updates here, I will likely not be engaging in conversation - I want to keep all information centralized. You're free to PM me as well, but based on recent PM conversations with people trying to threaten my job and other problems over my replies, I will be limiting my interaction there as well.

THE MOST IMPORTANT PART: I'm not going to limit discussion of the topic itself, but any amount of hostility, aggression, or otherwise negative or destructive conversation will be strictly moderated. That's true whether it's aimed at us directly or at other users.

ChickenOverlord
New Vassal
New Vassal

Re: Criminal Girls official info thread (read this first)

Postby ChickenOverlord » Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:28 pm

Alright then, a few questions to get things started:

Which regions stated that you would need to censor the content that you have in order to release it there?

What exactly did those regions say needed to be changed?

I know you said you cannot comment on statements others have gotten from PEGI and the ESRB, but can you comment on other games with similar (and worse) content that were able to be released without censorship through the ESRB and PEGI? I.e. if XSEED's games were released fine without censorship, and they have much "worse" content, than CG, then what about CG requires censorship and why?

Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Seventh » Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:32 pm

What games of XSEED's have "worse" content? Can you show the content in question and compare it to the "better" and "more wholesome" content of CG?

Characters losing clothing through damage has been a thing since SCIV, at least. Probably even before that. The really bad content in SKSV that I was always concerned about was what you could do in edit mode, and that doesn't even seem to be what you're referring to here.

Though I'm not sure if you're aware, but Houk doesn't work at XSEED, so he probably can't speak much for them or their actions regarding their games.

neonie
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby neonie » Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:35 pm

Seventh wrote:
Though I'm not sure if you're aware, but Houk doesn't work at XSEED, so he probably can't speak much for them or their actions regarding their games.

Also,

Houk wrote: I will likely not be engaging in conversation

That.

From my understanding. This thread is a place for users to discuss the changes. Not a place to ask questions about them. All the information regarding the changes is in the first post.
Houk wrote:THE HYPOTHETICAL CENSORSHIP OF BABIES!

Spoiler:

Houk
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby Houk » Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:36 pm

FAQ updated.

Ondin
New Vassal
New Vassal

Postby Ondin » Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:38 pm

By removing the moans, do you mean the ones in the minigame?

Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Seventh » Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:39 pm

Ondin wrote:By removing the moans, do you mean the ones in the minigame?

I believe that was what was meant. They've said the rest of the game's dialogue isn't effected by that as far as I know.

DeweyDefeatsTruman
New Vassal
New Vassal

Postby DeweyDefeatsTruman » Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:57 pm

I know I said earlier I was done with this place but I just feel the need to ask this one question.

You say that the content that has been either changed (added steam) or cut (voices) is due to unofficial conversations with various ratings boards. Wouldn't it have been better to simply work on the game in an unchanged state, submit it to the ESRB/PEGI/etc. and then, if the official statement says there is content that could raise the rating to AO or the equivalent, change or cut it? You'd have a better idea of what exactly needs to be changed, and furthermore a much stronger backing for the changes in this discussion. I understand that such a thing would potentially mean delays, but the fans of this game would be much happier if you took this risk and potentially found out that nothing needed to be cut or at worst have to wait and have an official reason that can be backed up beyond "unofficial talks." Even if it needed to be delayed, then you could explain why and your fans would most likely fully understand the issue. I know not everyone would to be sure, but from everything I've seen both here and elsewhere such a risk would lead to much more goodwill and cooperation for everyone involved.

Houk
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby Houk » Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:04 pm

FAQ updated.

lopez
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Postby lopez » Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:18 pm

Hmmm...seems like most of the possible questions have answers. Guess all that leaves users to speculate about is the differences in policies between all the localization companies.

neonie
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby neonie » Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:20 pm

I like this new method of "user has question, FAQ gets updated". Makes it so that way if a new question does get asked, it gets answered at the top of the thread. Makes repeat questions harder.
Houk wrote:THE HYPOTHETICAL CENSORSHIP OF BABIES!

Spoiler:

alistair
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby alistair » Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:26 pm

I have a question it about the last question, why can't you change your mind about edit & give it to PEGI.

Because you said we can't tell you why what other rating board had said, then PEGI basically said the same thing can't comment until game get rated.

But the thing is you couldn't ask PEGI if you give half of the content to test the waters & see if pegi was shy or not about he content.

No PEGI would have to see the full content, & not half asre content to them.

So basically you are cowards like IFI you self-censorship like IFI did because you got no faith with PEGI & ESRB. :(

Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Seventh » Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:30 pm

They showed the content to the boards. That is right there on the first post.

What about that is cowardly?

You could potentially argue IFI screwed up if they never showed anything to the boards beforehand, but this is not the case here.

neonie wrote:I like this new method of "user has question, FAQ gets updated". Makes it so that way if a new question does get asked, it gets answered at the top of the thread. Makes repeat questions harder.

Agreed!

alistair
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby alistair » Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:37 pm

I doubt they did show the content to PEGI & ESRB & other boards, like I said PEGI would not advise any dev what game could cause a issue or not with-out seeing everything PEGI would only discuss the game rating if there a issue why was it censored etc etc.

Alright it very late going now bye all.

Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Seventh » Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:40 pm

alistair wrote:I doubt they did show the content to PEGI & ESRB & other boards

These kinds of comments are why we've had one thread closed and the subject removed out of another entirely. If you want to think it, fine, but if you want to be able to keep the discussion, please refrain from making them for the sake of the rest of the posters here.

Return to “Criminal Girls”