I hear not many people are happy with TK's localization

Official forums for games from the Atelier series
Alice Twilight
Netherworld Marquis
Netherworld Marquis

I hear not many people are happy with TK's localization

Postby Alice Twilight » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:29 am

I was pretty happy that the Atelier series was going to another localization company but I'm hearing quite a lot of bad things from the newer published games, google doesn't really give me the answers I'm looking for so what exactly is wrong with these newer games?

I know dual audio isn't available in some regions, that's the only thing I know really.
Thanks in advance.

redsilversnake
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Re: I hear not many people are happy with TK's localization

Postby redsilversnake » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:26 am

Dunno what other people are saying, but Tecmo Koei's localizations seem kind of inconsistent. Some lines will be done well, others will be too much of a direct translation, while others will be very loosely translated. It can get a bit jarring if you can tell what they're saying in the Japanese voice track in Escha & Logy.
For some reason, they also added stutters to lines that didn't originally have them. It's a minor thing, but again, it's kind of weird when it's an obvious dissonance between the spoken Japanese line and the English text.
Some people just need to learn that their opinions are wrong

Magician_Type_0
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby Magician_Type_0 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:15 pm

Alice Twilight wrote:I was pretty happy that the Atelier series was going to another localization company but I'm hearing quite a lot of bad things from the newer published games, google doesn't really give me the answers I'm looking for so what exactly is wrong with these newer games?

I know dual audio isn't available in some regions, that's the only thing I know really.
Thanks in advance.

The initial gripe started with Ayesha and the lack of dual audio, despite Ayesha's English dub was actually quite solid.

The most recent gripes I have happens to be the proof-reading. Escha's localization in terms of the vocabulary they choose for Synthesis Traits was deceptive, un-intuitive, and outright bizarre. There was also a fair share of bad proof-reading with several typos and errors in the subtitles themselves. Sadly, the errors are present in Rorona Plus also. It's oddly similar to Sentai Filmwork's early subtitles of their anime and how saturated with grammatical and spelling errors they were.
"Happiness lies in the cultivation of the garden." Candide

"Let the foolish continue to be foolish." Me (EDG), WPHS Yearbook Quote 2006

kanade2
Netherworld Count
Netherworld Count

Postby kanade2 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:59 pm

TK outsourced the localization of Escha & Logy to acttil which i believe is a small company that was started by some ex-NISA employees. As for the plus versions,they used NISA's old scripts for it which is why the infamous Esty Dee name lives on.

Alice Twilight
Netherworld Marquis
Netherworld Marquis

Postby Alice Twilight » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:00 pm

Esty Dee is still around?
Say it aint so :c

goddammit Nisa. What's worse is, people who don't know about her REAL last name are always going to know her as STD.

kanade2
Netherworld Count
Netherworld Count

Postby kanade2 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:49 pm

Alice Twilight wrote:Esty Dee is still around?
Say it aint so :c

goddammit Nisa. What's worse is, people who don't know about her REAL last name are always going to know her as STD.

https://www.facebook.com/ateliergames/p ... 36/?type=1

http://www.ateliergames.eu/roronaplus/#chara_14

razisgosu
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby razisgosu » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:41 pm

I wouldn't say I'm unhappy about TK's localizations, but they do have a long way to go before they're where the series was before they took over. The lack of a limited edition and the complete lack of physical Vita support is where most of my gripes fall.

As for the localization effort itself, it seems they have plenty of room to improve. It's been getting better but still needs to be better.

1. Ayesha, complete lack of a dual audio - been confirmed rectified by TK for all future Atelier titles.

2. A ton of typos and grammatical errors in E&L. I'm not talking minor typos either, I'm talking an error at least every 30 minutes to the point that it's very immersion breaking. I had to double take a couple times to confirm that really just happened.

3. Grammatical errors, typos, translation errors in Rorona Plus, and the game has a fairly consistent crashing bug that occurs at random. The translation did seem improved compared to E&L, but the QA for this release still didn't seem up to snuff.

I must admit I do like that we've been getting 2-3 Atelier titles a year since TK is playing catch up with the Vita titles. Hopefully once Ayesha Plus and Shallie are caught up, we can stay fairly in line with Japan.

kanade2
Netherworld Count
Netherworld Count

Postby kanade2 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:39 am

SaturnineTenshi wrote:Why would you be happy about Atelier leaving NISA? They did a great job, and treated the series well.
Most of the issues with the translation were covered by Magician.

NISA has never set the bar high as they had their fair share of screw ups with the series. Just to give a few examples, Esty Erhart to Esty Dee,partial English dubbing,and forgetting to voice " barrel" in English for certain titles( may seem minor,but it's a staple of the series), not fixing the crash/freeze bugs in the original Rorona game,or other titles ,and grammar/translation errors( a good chuck of the mistakes seen in the plus version are from NISA's old translation of the original games).

kanade2
Netherworld Count
Netherworld Count

Postby kanade2 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:44 pm

All of those things build up a negative stigma over time for some people which is why they are more than happy to see Atelier go to another company in the hopes that the bar is set higher. Given time TK will eventually get there assuming they decide to do the localization themselves,and pour more $$ into it over out sourcing it.

Alice Twilight
Netherworld Marquis
Netherworld Marquis

Postby Alice Twilight » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:00 am

Got Rorona today, thought I was going to be asked for ID.
No problems so far, met Esty, no sign of the Dee part yet, I know it's there, but if I don't see it, I can pretend it doesn't exist because of Nisa.

Gonna look up some of these characters so I can remember their names...wait a second?

xombie52
Vassal
Vassal

Postby xombie52 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:17 am

SaturnineTenshi wrote:Why would you be happy about Atelier leaving NISA? They did a great job, and treated the series well.

Most of the issues with the translation were covered by Magician.

Exactly this. and the few issues they did have were very minor as far as I remember.

lilliwn
Majin
Majin

Postby lilliwn » Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:21 pm

i bet you most people loved the esty dee :D (like i do..)

it's just happens that the people who disliked it tend to be the more vocal group
Check out my channel: DungeonRPG!

M4he
Vassal
Vassal

Postby M4he » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:58 pm

Did TK change the localization team since Rorona Plus?
Was NISA still involved in the Plus games up to Rorona Plus?

I'm asking because Ayesha Plus shows a drastic drop in localization quality in terms of visuals. Text is horribly misaligned and poorly adjusted in many places ingame. Regarding this, the Arland Plus games were perfect with much love for detail, but no love for Ayesha this time. PS3 version of Ayesha was fine though (which was still localized by NISA).
I've uploaded a few sample screenshots where I highlighted the issues: http://imgur.com/a/stRHC#0

razisgosu
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby razisgosu » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:36 pm

I think that's being hypercritical. I wouldn't have even noticed if you hadn't pointed it out. It could also be intended.

Return to “Atelier Series”