Dead Series Walking?

Official Black Rock Shooter The Game for PSP Discussion Forum
User avatar
Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke
Posts: 29268
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:49 pm
Location: Zawame City

Dead Series Walking?

Postby Seventh » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:02 pm

This is only tangentially related to the game, but it's been on my mind and since we technically have a BRS forum, I figured "why not?" and decided to post it.

So, members of NISA who particularly give a damn: Would you say the BRS series/franchise/whatever it is, outside of the fact that it's still having anime figures released over two years after the anime ended (no really, there are figures not coming out until October/November - depending on if/how badly they get delayed, it could even be three years after the anime ended), anyone else getting the impression that this series is kinda... Well, dead?

Black Rock Shooter Arcana got off to a promising start - bunch of cards, nice art, and it stuck around long enough to add three or so characters to the series... buuuut they it crashed and burned, and the PC version they've been planning for over a year (since the mobage version got offed) isn't any closer to release than it was then.

Other than that, except for the manga based off of the game (which wiki says is apparently still ongoing somehow?), there's nothing really going on for this series - unless you, random reader, know of something? In which case, by all means, share!

In short, I guess what I'm saying is that it seems to me this series is dead (probably because Kancolle is the hot new thing now) and that doesn't seem to be changing soon - that, or they're trying to milk the anime for as looooooooooooong as possible before they do anything else. Does this make you feel anything? Do you wish it wasn't so? Or do you simply feel like saying "so what?" as I suspect most responses will be.

Well, whatever the case, have at it. At least it's better than tumbleweeds, right?
Image

User avatar
vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke
Posts: 42005
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:31 am
Location: 暮し幸せ

Re: Dead Series Walking?

Postby vampko » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:29 pm

I'd like another season of the anime. But....I think it probably did die off.
あの巨人シノはあんたたちの金髪少女の髪を食べたいな顔をしてるよ
Image
AniList (no need to reg to view)
[06:46:27] <Solice> you're like dealing with a bag of rabid cats
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
Spoiler:
Image

User avatar
Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke
Posts: 29268
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:49 pm
Location: Zawame City

Re: Dead Series Walking?

Postby Seventh » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:31 pm

I think I'd prefer a new anime myself. :lol: Old one was... well let's just say I had to put it down for a year after a few episodes and leave it there.
Image

User avatar
vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke
Posts: 42005
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:31 am
Location: 暮し幸せ

Re: Dead Series Walking?

Postby vampko » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:57 pm

Seventh wrote:I think I'd prefer a new anime myself. :lol: Old one was... well let's just say I had to put it down for a year after a few episodes and leave it there.

:(
Well, I loved it personally
あの巨人シノはあんたたちの金髪少女の髪を食べたいな顔をしてるよ
Image
AniList (no need to reg to view)
[06:46:27] <Solice> you're like dealing with a bag of rabid cats
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
Spoiler:
Image

User avatar
Excelsia
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke
Posts: 3864
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:36 am

Re: Dead Series Walking?

Postby Excelsia » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:37 am

vampko wrote:Well, I loved it personally

You and me both... though I suspect likely for different reasons. :lol:

I'm personally rather disappointed that more hasn't been done with the franchise--if we can even call it that. I've always thought that BRS was brimming with potential. The character designs are fantastic, the mirroring of the girls' internal conflicts manifested as actual conflicts among the "other selves" was a very intriguing premise, and the action (in the anime) was top notch.

I would definitely be delighted to see further continuations in media of any form, really.
I feel like there's so much they could do with it, and it's all going to waste.

If anything, I think additional games are one of the best avenues BRS could take.
Then again, I don't know how well or poorly the PSP game did overall, so...

Heh.

User avatar
vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke
Posts: 42005
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:31 am
Location: 暮し幸せ

Re: Dead Series Walking?

Postby vampko » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:02 am

Excelsia wrote:
vampko wrote:Well, I loved it personally

You and me both... though I suspect likely for different reasons. :lol:

I'm personally rather disappointed that more hasn't been done with the franchise--if we can even call it that. I've always thought that BRS was brimming with potential. The character designs are fantastic, the mirroring of the girls' internal conflicts manifested as actual conflicts among the "other selves" was a very intriguing premise, and the action (in the anime) was top notch.

I would definitely be delighted to see further continuations in media of any form, really.
I feel like there's so much they could do with it, and it's all going to waste.

If anything, I think additional games are one of the best avenues BRS could take.
Then again, I don't know how well or poorly the PSP game did overall, so...

Heh.

In Japan it sold around 120k the last time its sales were recorded, so I could see somewhere around 130k. First week sales were 106k about. So, pretty darn good. Good enough for Imageepoch the "savior of JRPG"? No clue.

I liked the anime for all sorts of reasons, not just the ridiculously high levels of subtext :P
あの巨人シノはあんたたちの金髪少女の髪を食べたいな顔をしてるよ
Image
AniList (no need to reg to view)
[06:46:27] <Solice> you're like dealing with a bag of rabid cats
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
Spoiler:
Image

User avatar
Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke
Posts: 29268
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:49 pm
Location: Zawame City

Re: Dead Series Walking?

Postby Seventh » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:26 am

@Ex
I actually thought that, while the premise was interesting, the execution of the whole "separate girls" thing just fell apart and made it into "FORCED, RIDICULOUS, AND USUALLY UNWARRANTED OVER THE TOP DRAMA: THE ANIME" rather than anything about BRS. :?

Personally, I'd much rather they trash that concept and do more with the character designs. :lol: Or try that again but without being so... that about it.
Image

User avatar
vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke
Posts: 42005
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:31 am
Location: 暮し幸せ

Re: Dead Series Walking?

Postby vampko » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:54 am

Seventh wrote:@Ex
I actually thought that, while the premise was interesting, the execution of the whole "separate girls" thing just fell apart and made it into "FORCED, RIDICULOUS, AND USUALLY UNWARRANTED OVER THE TOP DRAMA: THE ANIME" rather than anything about BRS. :?

Personally, I'd much rather they trash that concept and do more with the character designs. :lol: Or try that again but without being so... that about it.

It was everything about BRS though
あの巨人シノはあんたたちの金髪少女の髪を食べたいな顔をしてるよ
Image
AniList (no need to reg to view)
[06:46:27] <Solice> you're like dealing with a bag of rabid cats
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
Spoiler:
Image

User avatar
Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke
Posts: 29268
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:49 pm
Location: Zawame City

Re: Dead Series Walking?

Postby Seventh » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:59 am

It was more about the drama, I felt, and the drama never came off as anything naturally from the characters.
Image

User avatar
vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke
Posts: 42005
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:31 am
Location: 暮し幸せ

Re: Dead Series Walking?

Postby vampko » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:07 am

Seventh wrote:It was more about the drama, I felt, and the drama never came off as anything naturally from the characters.

It explained what they were, and gave reasoning behind it and everything. There were still some unleft questions, which would be great to try and answer in another season.

I'm not sure what people expected to come from some drawings and one song (which greatly captures the anime) :?
あの巨人シノはあんたたちの金髪少女の髪を食べたいな顔をしてるよ
Image
AniList (no need to reg to view)
[06:46:27] <Solice> you're like dealing with a bag of rabid cats
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
Spoiler:
Image

User avatar
Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke
Posts: 29268
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:49 pm
Location: Zawame City

Re: Dead Series Walking?

Postby Seventh » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:13 am

Well, the game and BRSA showed you can do a lot with this series without ridiculous drama like the anime had. The premise itself of the anime wasn't my problem, as I said, but the execution of it. The drama and the problems they faced were, uh. I've never used "suspension of disbelief" in a sentence before (it's just never applied) so I don't know how to phrase this, but that's basically what I mean.
Image

User avatar
vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke
Posts: 42005
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:31 am
Location: 暮し幸せ

Re: Dead Series Walking?

Postby vampko » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:36 pm

Seventh wrote:Well, the game and BRSA showed you can do a lot with this series without ridiculous drama like the anime had. The premise itself of the anime wasn't my problem, as I said, but the execution of it. The drama and the problems they faced were, uh. I've never used "suspension of disbelief" in a sentence before (it's just never applied) so I don't know how to phrase this, but that's basically what I mean.

To me it seemed pretty normal, but regardless, what is BRSA? And the game took a completely different route and wasn't about BRS so much as a game that had BRS in it. Not a very good example.
あの巨人シノはあんたたちの金髪少女の髪を食べたいな顔をしてるよ
Image
AniList (no need to reg to view)
[06:46:27] <Solice> you're like dealing with a bag of rabid cats
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
Spoiler:
Image

User avatar
Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke
Posts: 29268
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:49 pm
Location: Zawame City

Re: Dead Series Walking?

Postby Seventh » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:32 pm

The drama in the anime was... reeeeaally not normal a lot of the time. Especially in the early parts. I know bullying is a problem in Japan, but the anime took it to a point that it just became kind of unbelievable.

The game was about BRS fine though, it just was different than the anime... which is fine, because there is literally no template or rules for what makes a BRS thing a thing or not a thing except that it uses the designs (which is part of what makes it such an interesting franchise - they can do a lot with it), and the game did just that. It's as much BRS as the anime was, at the very least.

BRSA is/was the mobage Black Rock Shooter Arcana. It had a brief story mode but obviously wasn't much, but it obviously couldn't have any crazy drama like the anime did either.
Image

User avatar
vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke
Posts: 42005
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:31 am
Location: 暮し幸せ

Re: Dead Series Walking?

Postby vampko » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:39 pm

Seventh wrote:The drama in the anime was... reeeeaally not normal a lot of the time.

Except it was. Whether you thought it was "normal" is completely irrelevant, because I didn't find it abnormal at all.

Seventh wrote:The game was about BRS fine though

Nowhere near the level the anime was.
Seventh wrote:BRSA is/was the mobage Black Rock Shooter Arcana. It had a brief story mode but obviously wasn't much, but it obviously couldn't have any crazy drama like the anime did either.

Uh...huh. So why bring up a mobage game with barely any story as something that was "done a lot with"? :?
あの巨人シノはあんたたちの金髪少女の髪を食べたいな顔をしてるよ
Image
AniList (no need to reg to view)
[06:46:27] <Solice> you're like dealing with a bag of rabid cats
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
Spoiler:
Image

User avatar
Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke
Posts: 29268
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:49 pm
Location: Zawame City

Re: Dead Series Walking?

Postby Seventh » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:48 pm

vampko wrote:
Seventh wrote:The drama in the anime was... reeeeaally not normal a lot of the time.

Except it was. Whether you thought it was "normal" is completely irrelevant, because I didn't find it abnormal at all.

... Good for you? You do realize you're basically saying "it was normal because I say so" here, right? :? That proves nothing and isn't really going to move the conversation anywhere. I can just as easily say that you finding it normal is completely irrelevant too, so...

This is kinda why I tried avoiding this subject earlier. :lol:

vampko wrote:
Seventh wrote:The game was about BRS fine though

Nowhere near the level the anime was.

I honestly don't see how you can reach that conclusion - they're different, but as I said, there is no template for what makes something "about" BRS or not except that the design is there. That's it. It's a franchise based off of some drawings that were posted on pixiv. There isn't exactly a model here.

vampko wrote:
Seventh wrote:BRSA is/was the mobage Black Rock Shooter Arcana. It had a brief story mode but obviously wasn't much, but it obviously couldn't have any crazy drama like the anime did either.

Uh...huh. So why bring up a mobage game with barely any story as something that was "done a lot with"? :?

Because of the "without the ridiculous drama" part that followed the part you're quoting. Every time you cleared a stage, you got dialogue between the different characters, and they were pretty clearly intending to make it a big thing before they had to shut it down. Still got to add a few cool characters before that happened at least.
Image


Return to “Black Rock Shooter The Game”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest