Fairy Fencer F - General Discussion Thread

Official forum of this turn-based RPG for the PS3
Mao Kag
Majin
Majin

Re: Fairy Fencer F - General Discussion Thread

Postby Mao Kag » Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:16 pm

just one question

do i need to redo all 16 quest of lola each time 1 do a new game or do i get her all the time once ive done her one time?

i just managed to get all the fury and tryed to kill the vile god but he's over powered dude

shadowmaksim
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby shadowmaksim » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:38 am

Wow, just...wow.

I knew the game was short. Even felt rather short. I decided to see how long it would take me to get to the end game (right before the final dungeon) from NewGame+ and...

Spoiler:
It took me 1 hour and 50 minutes to do. And that is with doing all of the Lola's quests so I could have gone through it even faster. No wonder the story feels so lacking, to put it nicely.

Porecomesis
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Porecomesis » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:40 am

shadowmaksim wrote:Wow, just...wow.

I knew the game was short. Even felt rather short. I decided to see how long it would take me to get to the end game (right before the final dungeon) from NewGame+ and...

Spoiler:
It took me 1 hour and 50 minutes to do. And that is with doing all of the Lola's quests so I could have gone through it even faster. No wonder the story feels so lacking, to put it nicely.

Does this include skipping all the cutscenes?

shadowmaksim
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby shadowmaksim » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:55 am

Porecomesis wrote:
shadowmaksim wrote:Wow, just...wow.

Spoiler:

Does this include skipping all the cutscenes?

Of course. Skipped attack animations as well along with trying to avoid as many battles as possible. Though to be fair, I was overpowered to the point that just mashing X the entire time won me every battle with ease up to that point...but still.

I'm at 42 hours of game time now if that matters at all.

shadowmaksim
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby shadowmaksim » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:56 pm

Sorry for the double post but I recently finished the game and I just wanted to share some of my thoughts regarding the story and characters. So obviously a great many of you could and probably will disagree with me on some points. That's fine, this is just my opinion.

I will be spoiling things so make sure that you have at least beaten the game before reading.

Story:

Spoiler:
It's pretty barebones. Definitely one of the shorter games I've played in a long time as well.

A lot of the story consists of just going to random places to find a Fairy after being told about it by Lola. You go there, stuff happens (to varying importance), and just repeat that for over half the game.

The whole goal of collecting the Fairies was to get enough to revive the Goddess and stop the Vile God from reviving. It never really goes anywhere until the very end though.

Around the halfway point. Something interesting happens. Fang and Eryn time travel to the past after witnessing Tiara being killed and, using what they know of the future, to try to create a better future. All the other characters return to the square one though, which strangely didn't make much of a difference. Ultimately, it does feel like more could have been done with this aspect though.

From there, everything just repeats itself again until the ending events...which aren't really that great either.

Characters:

Spoiler:
Fang - Personally, I found him very unlikable. He spends the near first half of the game doing 2 things. Talking about food and how great of a person he is. I know he's supposed to be portrayed as laid-back...but I found that it just doesn't really work with him.

It wasn't until the second half of the game after the "time traveling" to the past part where I started warming up to him a bit. His obsession of food dialed down a lot, though it's still brought up. He also goes though some character development, if you can even call it that, where he starts caring more about others and tries to save whoever he can even if it only makes things harder for him. That would be nice...if his egocentric personally wasn't still so apparent. If anything, it seemingly got worse due how he things he's even greater from accomplish these harder tasks.

Tiara - Like Fang, I got extremely annoyed with her for the majority of the game, I'd say even more so. Constantly treating Fang and Eryn as nothing more than mere servants and constantly belittering them.

But the thing is...she never really develops. She does become slightly more open, yes, but nothing about her ever actually develops. Made even worse when the time travel part happens since she reverts right back to how she was initially. Completely throwing out what little progress that was made.

Eryn - Really the only one of the main trio I didn't dislike. For the majority of the game, I actually felt bad for her. Getting stuck with Fang who didn't really care much about helping her and Tiara who constantly berated her for petty reasons.

But with that...there isn't really much else to say about her. Nothing about her really comes to my mind when I try thinking about her personality. Only stock things like "she's nice". A very average character.

Harley - She's the crazy eccentric type. Loves Faries and wants to research them. Basically molests every new Fairy that joins the party, especially the female humanoid ones. There's also a thing where she is an absolutely snob and her Fairy, Bahas, has to take care of. Even stuff like cleaning up and reminding her to wear underwear.

Galdo - He is one of my three favorite characters of the game. I've read that a lot of people didn't really like him, I can see why, but I really did. He is a bit on the plain side but there isn't really anything I found that made him dislikeable. Unless you really don't like his Canadian voice acting with all his "Eh's".

Besides being one of the few characters to even get a backstory, a decent one at that, his personality I found to be very earnest and cheerful. Despite being an enemy in the beginning and seen as such, he doesn't let that stop him from doing his best and contributing his part. A very trustworthy kind of character.

Sherman - While I didn't dislike him...he is probably the character that has the most wrong with him.

Before the time travel bit, he is a very "good" character. Seemingly perfect in every way, a gentleman, is fighting for a noble cause, etc. What's to save the world but has the determination to get dirty if he has to.

After the time travel bit...he suddenly becomes the main antagonist and is ruthless, cold, and kills whoever gets in his way. The one question I had was...what caused this? All the other characters ended up being the same. He is the only character who ended up being different. Even with the changing of events in the future...his character change was apparent right from the start before all that shifting happened.

One odd thing I noticed. His Fairy, Ryushin, shows up and interacts with the cast a bunch of times before the time travel event. After it...Ryushin never appears again. It just up and disappeared pretty much. And this is never brought up in anyway, I only just realized this just now.

Pipin - Even before starting the game, I disliked what I've heard of the character. I was actually dreading the moment he appears and joins the party.

Bad news, I was right. He is my least liked character in the game. Between his entire stick of being that one strange party member and the fact that he's bascially an even worse Fang (constantly talking about how great he is and constantly going on stories talking about how great he is), I just stayed away from ever using him.

Good news, at least he barely shows up since he literally has no role in the story whatsoever. He never does anything of any meaningful note. He doesn't even have any kind of backstory at all. Just, suddenly here he is, he's strange, and now he's in your party. That's it.

Ethel - She is the second of the characters I did actually end up liking. I found that her character and backstory to be pretty much the best of the entire cast. Being raised from a little child in a Fencer institution where she was brutally trained to be a powerful Fencer. Fighting everyday until finally escaping one day. But because of her upbringing, the only joy she has is in fighting and killing. To the point where the only words she speaks are "KIll", over and over again.

Her Fairy, Karin, tries her best to open her up. To become more of a normal person. To show her that there is more to the world that just fighting and killing.

Only problem with her is...she has an even less of a point than Pipin does. Before the time travel event, she shows up once out of nowhere, fights the cast, and is never seen again. After the time travel event, you find her once more in the exact same dungeon and fight her again. But instead of disappearing like last time, Fang tries to persuade her to join them instead. Ethel, of course, is heavily reluctant.

You know what Fang does to gain her trust? He gives her a cookie and she eats it. That's it. By experiencing joy from something other than fighting and killing, she is now completely reformed and isn't a blood thirsty warmonger anymore. Also, Fang tells her to stop saying only "Kill" and now she can talk normally. -sigh- At least she speaks in fragmented sentences to show that she still needs work on developing out of what she was. Everything about her after the fact still works, it's just that the catalyst of the whole transition is so...stupid.

Apollonius - The last of the characters I actually liked. He is actually one of the Four Heavenly Czars. One of the head honchos of the enemy organization. His whole story is pretty interesting in that it directly ties with the whole "change the future" thing and is the main reason why Fang even starts to develop as much as he did.

Fang kills him before the time travel event and later meets his little sister. You find out that the reason Apollonius was working under that organization was to provide for her. And now she, this helpless little girl, is out for revenge against her brother's killer. This hits Fang pretty hard and causes him to try to save Apollonius after the time travel event so that it never leads to that.

Besides being just about the most interesting plot point in the game, his personality is also pretty decent. Tough but caring and all that. The only problem I had with him is that his reasoning for his dedication to the sword was just a ruse to help him continue doing all the crap the enemy organization had him doing. Kind of weak reasoning there I'd say, especially when he gets killed over this ruse of an honor he had.

Lola - Money, information, and more money. There is nothing else to her.

She gives information to the cast on where to go next and every skit is around her selling shoddy products or overpricing her information...cause she loves money.

As a party member, she is nonexistent. She joins right before entering the final dungeon and actually never gets another speaking line until the ending credits...where she is swindling another person for more money.

But she does have her role in the story itself...which is more than I can say for Pipin and Ethel.

Other Villians - They had very little point, rarely showed up, and are ultimately not that important. That includes the other three Heavenly Czars.

So yeah, this is definitely my least favorite of CH's games. Beating out "Re;Birth1" by a quite a bit. I still enjoyed it for what I could get out of it (I really liked the designs of the characters and Fairies along with a good number of the concepts)...it's just that there wasn't much else.

Mao Kag
Majin
Majin

Postby Mao Kag » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:14 pm

well i most agree on the fact i dont like this game very much maybe i should have waited till it was out and not preorder it but i did i had my fun on it for all the 3 playthought i worked on

Spoiler:
id like to point out something anyway the fact that the game seem really focused on making super hard ranking systeme for quest like for c rank and a rank quest who are ridiculously hard to achive also the ulterly low chance of an actually steal with any of the steal skill of lola and galdo the best i could do was us the two in a duo and steal until it worked took forever to get my rank a quest but i had it (good think the rank remain after a playthought)but other then for making those two quest work i dont see anything usefull about those skill most of the synthesie systeme was mostly boring as a fact i think they could also have made some more dungeons in the map since a large part of it didnt get used like making dungeon you can found with certain lvl of fury and highter using world shaping

Etna_Uchiha
Majin
Majin

Postby Etna_Uchiha » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:59 am

the only 2 things i know Lola is used for is the level 99 trophy and certain furies i got her on all but my first playthrough so if shes needed for something else i wouldn't know
DLC is just an excuse for devs to hold back content remember once something is on the internet they never forget and never forgive

TiamatNM
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal

Postby TiamatNM » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:14 pm

In response to shadow I wanted to mention something about Ethel you may not have noticed
Spoiler:
Ethel does disappear after you fight her the first time but she also dies. I didn't realize it on my first play because the scene was a bit ambiguous. If you look in the main quest event log it says she died.

I loved Fang and Pippin but Galdo was my least favorite so different tastes there

shadowmaksim
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby shadowmaksim » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:43 pm

TiamatNM wrote:In response to shadow I wanted to mention something about Ethel you may not have noticed
Spoiler:
Ethel does disappear after you fight her the first time but she also dies. I didn't realize it on my first play because the scene was a bit ambiguous. If you look in the main quest event log it says she died.

Spoiler:
Really?...Yup, I just looked it up. It definitely says she dies.

It really seemed to me like she just ran off after being defeated, like most of the other characters who didn't get the bloody portrait dropping treatment. I guess I should have been paying more attention.

razisgosu
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby razisgosu » Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:09 pm

I can't believe the 100million gold trophy is a bronze rarity. It's literally going to be the last trophy I get, maybe the kill 10,000 enemies one, but that's absurd too. CH really should have made those two lower, it's an exceedingly pointless grind especially when a bronze trophy takes more time to get than it takes to beat the entire game.

89% trophy completion though so I can't stop now!

shadowmaksim
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby shadowmaksim » Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:26 pm

Yeah, it's really a bit much this time around since there really isn't any kind of easy way around it. It's not cumulative either so buying/selling tricks won't work.

I'm currently at 52.6 million gold with 7191 kills and my play time is currently at 68:18. I started the grind at around 42:00 with 1.3 million gold (don't remember kills, I think it was in the mid-late 5000's).

At this rate, I'm still going to have to work on the kill trophy even after finishing getting all that gold. Either way, I still have a ways to go.

razisgosu
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby razisgosu » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:56 pm

Yeah, according to the platinum guide it takes between 20-30 hours doing floor 40 of the tower literally 5,000 times. I ended up grabbing the dlc and am getting between 20k and 30k a pack of enemies, I think thats faster than the tower.

Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Seventh » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:38 am

Randomly, how good is the paid DLC that's come out so far? I'm seeing some fairy packs (two fairies for $1.50?) and some packs that... change the color of your weapons? Do those do anything besides that?

Got all the free DLC just because, but yeah.

maykite88
Netherworld Marquis
Netherworld Marquis
Location: With Altis plotting to conquer the universe together

Postby maykite88 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:02 pm

Seventh wrote:Randomly, how good is the paid DLC that's come out so far? I'm seeing some fairy packs (two fairies for $1.50?) and some packs that... change the color of your weapons? Do those do anything besides that?

Got all the free DLC just because, but yeah.

I have not gotten the paid DLC, only the free ones like you, but I just assume its something optional in case you are having trouble with the game so far.

razisgosu
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby razisgosu » Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:06 pm

Grinded out about 20 million gold today, still only at 35 million.

Return to “Fairy Fencer F”